It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea fire missle. Lands 600km From Japan

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
UN security Council meeting within afew hours. Japan has introduced more economic sanctions, stopping some services and banning North Korea officals from entering Japan. More are likely to be introduce aswell...

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:10 AM
link   
hey, maybe they'll keep testing them, until they run out....
well, we wanted them to get rid of them, right???
they're getting rid of them!!

let's just hope none of them actually hit any land....we'd probably wouldn't be talking about sanctions then.
as far as sanctions being an act of war.....

they've been sanctioned to death now! and I'm sorry to tell them this, but who a country deals with is solely the decision of the country dealing, if their good friend China happened to go along with the un and decide not to deal with them, well, they have that right. are they're any western nations who trade with them, I can't think of any. I don't believe the US does. so, if there's sanctions, who would be involved, China? a few arab nations?? if they consider it an act of war, are they really gonna respond against their good friend China, the one who's been feeding them all these years?

they're crazy!!

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
China has made a statement yet, but an official has said that they are watching the crisis with caution.

Japan is expecting to pose more sanctions on North Korea.

China is sending a diplomat to North Korea and the silence from China is being seen as frustration due to the missle tests.

[edit on 5-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think everyone is aware this is not a declaration of war by the N.Koreans.After all, they would have nothing of any missile capability threat,and the US and others have much more lethal doses, NK are just a little shark in a big pond, arn't they.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well, just to get this off of my chest, I think it would probably feel great to just knock the snot out of North Korea. That being said, it's probably a bad idea.

All these launches are REALLY odd, but unless there's some indication that they were playing "battleship" with us, hoping to hit something by blind luck, it's not an act of war. As has been said, launching quite a few missiles is a show of force, but it's not as if any of these were intended to hit something but just failed (I HOPE!). It just so happens that North Korea is not in a position where they can observe the rules of weapons safety and "be sure of their backstop". Their backstop, unfortunately, is Japan. They've done a good job of not hitting it, so all's well that ends well.

Of course, I would be thrilled to suggest that there is somewhere they could launch besides the sea of Japan. How about China or Russia? I mean hey, they supplied the missiles, let them vouch for their accuracy by having missile ranges within their borders for Kim to shoot at.

At any rate, we don't need a war and we don't need to assassinate Kim. We need to stop revelling in every emergency, remind ourselves that the news is NOT reality TV, and ignore Kim. So he's gonna keep banging his head against the wall until we buy him a puppy? Well guess what, my ears are way way more durable than his skull and that wall.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Originally posted by VType
I know if your Island had missles streaking towards it and landing in your waters Im sure your opinion would differ on the subject. However yes the Israel's are definately being proactive in what they believe is a viable threat agaisnt them. You gotta believe many are watching this as well.

Where else is N. Korea supposed to test it's weapons?

i dunno, HERE:

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
We need to stop revelling in every emergency, and remind ourselves that the news is NOT reality TV, and ignore Kim. .

What are you talking about?

The news IS the truest form of reality T.V.

You can't get anymore real than real can you?

If you are trying to say we should ignore the world around us,

You my friend are in for some suprises in life.

What we need to do is stop brushing real problems aside and take action.

We can only turn our back on a problem for so long.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
George Bush just blamed it on "Al Qaeda in North Korea"

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents

i dunno, HERE:

Whats the difference between firing over South Korean airspace, and Japanese airspace?

Why didn't we hear anything of these important stories during the [quite frankly laughable] N.Korean weponary tests?

Israeli aircraft attack Interior Ministry in Gaza

Talks to free soldier break down

Israeli planes strike Hamas camp

Russia to stop honoring WTO obligations if not accepted: Putin

This is total BS, you are being fed propaganda by forces with an Agenda. Wake up and smell the manipulation.

[edit on 5/7/06 by Implosion]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
USA fires hundreds of missiles a day at human beings and no one flinches
North Korea fires 7 missiles into the ocean and everyone #s their pants.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well my first thought on this whole event is that Kimmy got "Merlin's Magic Hat" for his birthday.

For weeks we've been staring at his big dong and suddenly there's a bunch of paper flowers in his hand. Classic misdirection and it looks like we fell for it.

The only part that worries me is that if he can afford to give up the location of so many missile launchers, it must be only a fraction of what he has in reserve. And I don't think he's stupid enough to have only one long range missile site - that makes no sense at all.

He's got to have silo's or camoflauged sites somewhere and there could be bigger surprises waiting for us.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Implosion:

Totally agree with you.

NK tests a missile that is inert and everyone panicks.

NK is just beating their chests - BIG DEAL!

Cheers

JS

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
the difference is that it would have landed a lot further away from anyone had the fired it directly southeast. and they should have at least warned someone first.

and for the record, i'm of the mindset that when a spoiled-ass child throws a tantrum, they need, at the very least, a good spanking. lessons need teaching, and ignoring problems does NOT make them go away.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
and for the record, i'm of the mindset that when a spoiled-ass child throws a tantrum, they need, at the very least, a good spanking. lessons need teaching, and ignoring problems does NOT make them go away.

I concur...get a giant newspaper.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakyty
George Bush just blamed it on "Al Qaeda in North Korea"

I wouldn't put it past him

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Seventh was just launched.

www.cnn.com...
[edit on 5-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Personally, I think the absolutely best course of action (too bad it's already too late) is if everyone just ignored the whole thing. That would frost NK big time. They're doing this for attention and we're all giving them exactly what they want. Maybe what we should do is send them a telegram:

"Howdy Kim. Congratulations on your launches. Too bad your big one fizzled. At any rate, welcome to the 1960's.

Love,

GW"

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Personally, I think the absolutely best course of action (too bad it's already too late) is if everyone just ignored the whole thing. That would frost NK big time. They're doing this for attention and we're all giving them exactly what they want. Maybe what we should do is send them a telegram:

"Howdy Kim. Congratulations on your launches. Too bad your big one fizzled. At any rate, welcome to the 1960's.

Love,

GW"

absolute genius. humiliation is one of the best punishments available for pricks like kim jong.

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Very Scary! what are we up to? Seven i think, i really hope that nothing really bad happens, im not up on this tech, if they wanted to hit something would it be easy for them?

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalassassin
What are you talking about?

The news IS the truest form of reality T.V.

Reality TV is grotesquely melodramatic and places people in completely abnormal situations which have little if anything to do with "reality". Now, this actually DOES happen to fit certain news networks very well, but at least in theory, "reality tv" is a very different animal from the news.

You can't get anymore real than real can you?

We're not talking about realistic or reality-relevant TV, we're talking about "reality TV" as the term is commonly applied.

If you are trying to say we should ignore the world around us,

Nothing that I said should have been construed with that meaning if even the slightest cognitive process were applied to it. I am not saying that we should be ignorant of what transpires in the world.
I am saying that when some tinpot whacko starts screaming "look at me! look at me!" like a three year old, but in practical terms is incapable of actually backing up that temper tantrum with muscle, turning our attention squarely on him and responding to his tantrum with great concern is unjustified and counter-productive.
North Korea can't nuke us. They can't nuke us for the same reaosn that Russia and China can't; because all it would do is bring down a butt load of pain upon them in retaliation. So why are we adding to the sense of crisis and thereby contributing to the possibility of war by miscalculation, when it would be far safer to disengage.

Tell me this... you're standing in front of a police station (the deterrent), and several hundred feet away somebody is playing with a pocket knife and giving you the evil eye. He can't mess with you. If he comes after you with that knife, that deterrent is coming down on him. You're safe. So why would you walk over to him and ask why he's mad dogging you? The only thing that could come of that is that he gets scared when you approach and he stabs you. So why engage? Keep your eye on him, of course, but get within arms reach of him for no good reason?

What we need to do is stop brushing real problems aside and take action.

I agree, we need to stop brushing real problems aside. So maybe we should take stock of what the real problems are.

A. A nation which is afraid of us, geographically removed from us and our vital interests, and checked by China, is building a missile which so far doesn't work in order to give them the capacity to deliver nukes that have never been tested IF we ever do something that we're never going to do anyway.

B. A resource which is vitally important to our economy is becoming increasingly scarce and expensive and exists primarily in an extremely unstable region where we are very unpopular.

C. In a time where circumstances such as B make it more important than ever before to be able to present a unified front with other members of the international community against tyrants and aggressors, we are so wildly unpopular that some of our longest standing allies will refuse to stand with us completely even when its in their best interest to just get behind us and back our play.

D. We have an ever-increasing refugee crisis from Mexico which is causing social unrest in some states and promises to grow steadily worse with increasing social and economic consequences if the existing challenges are not swiftly addressed and then stopped from reoccuring by the formulation of a working border policy.

Did you ever watch Sesame Street?
*singing* One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join