It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Gryphon66

If an employee engages in premeditated and self-serving behavior that offends and/or alienates paying customers during company hours...resulting in lost business and income...They should be fired.

They are not good employees...and they are a liability to the business.

I see you have enough awareness to begin all that with "IF" ... good man.

I predict we'll all see what happens very soon.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
Rocker, yeah. A real sweetheart. Good comparison. Just like not standing during the National Anthem.

I don't think anyone has said that a team can't fire a player.
edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The fact is if trump owned a team and fired them for kneeling or other political reasons, he would have a lousy team.

Spot on.

And so would any other team owner.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I predict we see players from coast-to-coast kneeling tomorrow.

Bets?

Trump certainly helped the cause. He gave the kneelers the exposure they needed to get others on board.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ok.

Are the teams losing revenue because of these actions?

If this is accurate, they will.
www.forbes.com...

The Sporting News article says "Nearly one-third (32 percent) of adults say they're less likely to watch NFL game telecasts because of the Kaepernick-led player protests against racial injustice, according to Rasmussen's telephone/online survey of 1,000 American adults conducted Oct. 2-3. Only 13 percent said they were more likely to watch an NFL game because of continuing protests by Kaepernick and supporters such as Antonio Cromartie of the Colts (who was cut only two days after raising a fist during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" in London on Sunday)."

www.cbsnews.com...

These days, however, the most popular U.S. professional sport isn't such a sure bet. According to Pivotal Research analyst Brian Wieser, viewership for the NFL was down 14 percent on a year-over-year basis during the first week of the 2017-18 season. That's the lowest level of same-week viewing since 2009.

Networks paid billions for the NFL games and programming because they knew they could make billions selling advertisement time. If there are fewer people watching, corporations will pay less for that ad time, which will lead the networks to pay less for carrying the NFL in future contract talks. All of that leads to the owners and league making less money.

I don't think this is all at the feet of a handful of attention whores during the national anthem... I think there are fans who are sick of Goodell's horsecrap, sick of rule changes, probably disturbed watching guys concuss each other, not to mention the fact that it's beyond the average family's budget to afford attending a game anymore. Yet the protesting is certainly playing a role here and is the easiest thing for the league to fix.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

The fact is if trump owned a team and fired them for kneeling or other political reasons, he would have a lousy team.

He does tend to fire people. Has his team improved?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
A lot of people are fed up with multimillionaires who live pampered, sheltered lives whining and kneeling during the national anthem. Trump is just vocalising their annoyance.

Hell, any of these overpaid social justice warriors would drive their Humvees over your babies to get to the front of the queue for a burger or something. They have no empathy nor time for actual poor people who might actually be beat down by modern society.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Rocker, yeah. A real sweetheart. Good comparison. Just like not standing during the National Anthem.

I don't think anyone has said that a team can't fire a player.

At the time, Rocker was the hottest closer in baseball. His comments weren't really bad, nor were they much more than one man's opinion anyway. If anything, I find far less reason for people to be offended with him than I do with a bunch of millionares throwing a childish fit and tantruming during the anthem.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Don't you know, polls are fake news.

Like I said, I pretty much stopped watching the NFL a while back. Meaning years ago.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

His comments weren't really bad,

Seriously? You think not? Well, that explains a few things.

I find far less reason for people to be offended with him than I do with a bunch of millionares throwing a childish fit and tantruming during the anthem.
You may want to look up the definition of tantrum.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
A lot of people are fed up with multimillionaires who live pampered, sheltered lives whining and kneeling during the national anthem. Trump is just vocalising their annoyance.

Hell, any of these overpaid social justice warriors would drive their Humvees over your babies to get to the front of the queue for a burger or something. They have no empathy nor time for actual poor people who might actually be beat down by modern society.

Yet you and burdman, have no issue with a Billionaire who lives a pampered and sheltered life sharing his opinion on matters he knows nothing about.

Nor do any of you seem to understand that there is injustice going on in America when it comes police getting away with murder when it comes to shooting people. The only time a cop has any chance of being convicted for a shooting. is fi the victim is white. That is injustice.
edit on 23-9-2017 by Onslaught9966 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

At the time, Rocker was the hottest closer in baseball. His comments weren't really bad,

Rocker was barely good for an inning, maybe a couple outs, but his comments reflected poorly on the MLB; simply kneeling is quite different.

a bunch of millionares throwing a childish fit and tantruming

For a second, I thought you were talking about the POTUS.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Don't you know, polls are fake news.

Like I said, I pretty much stopped watching the NFL a while back. Meaning years ago.

Polls may be, but viewer tracking numbers are not, and the NFL has lost a very measurable chunk of viewer share in the past year.

I've not watched an NFL game since mid-season last year. My reasons weren't due to this anthem thing, but more a culmination of crap. If they fired Goodell, I'd consider watching again. I do play fantasy still (won my league last year, in fact) so I follow stats.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Trump..... the man born into wealth? Given a 'small' $1 million loan in the 70s... inherited a further millions from his father.... probably hasn't played a serious game of football in his life? He's the one to vocalise this 'annoyance' on behalf of the people?

You don't know how funny that sounds.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Athletes, more than almost any other American out there, have a bully pulpit like no other.

Millions live vicariously through their exploits on and, unfortunately, off the field of play. Many listen to every word they say.

Some of the most infamous moments/famous moments in race relations history involved athletes.

Muhammad Ali, his refusal to answer the draft. His conversion to Islam. Etc...

Jackie Robinson breaks the color barrier in baseball. Kenny Washington, Marion Motley, Woody Strode, and Bill Willis in the NFL.

Jesse Owens vs Nazi Germany's claim to racial superiority.

Texas Western fields the first all black starting five in NCAA tournament history, and wins the national title vs Adolph Rupps all-white Kentucky team.

Hank Aaron. Tiger Woods. Yao Ming. Joe Louis. How many times has sports lead the change in American society?

These football players and their compatriots in other sports have a bully pulpit that few others have. They're using it, or some are. I applaud that. It matters not in the slightest whether we agree with them, or disagree with them...they are, as they should, in my not so humble opinion, using it to shed a light where they think one needs shining.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

At the time, Rocker was the hottest closer in baseball. His comments weren't really bad,

Rocker was barely good for an inning, maybe a couple outs

Ah, so you understand the concept of a closer. :rolleyes: Rocker holds the third highest WAR in Brave's relief pitcher history, behind two of the most dominant closers of the past 30 years, Smoltz and Kimbrel. As I said, his comments weren't bad outside of NYC. Because NYC is the media capital of the sports world, he was crucified.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: SprocketUK

Trump..... the man born into wealth? Given a 'small' $1 million loan in the 70s... inherited a further millions from his father.... probably hasn't played a serious game of football in his life? He's the one to vocalise this 'annoyance' on behalf of the people?

You don't know how funny that sounds.

I know right.
A man who has never had to suffer the hardships that many of his voters have had to go through, understands the plight of the regular man but NFL players who went through what they have, earlier in life do not speak for them.

This is simple. A rich white man does not understand that minorities in this country feel like 2nd class citizens and most white citizens do not care about their plight.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Dude, please don't compare a protest movement started by Kapernick, who went down this road because he had a hard on for a female muslim DJ in San Fran and needed to impress her to get in her pants, with actual men of principles and dignity like Robinson or Owens.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Liquesence

Rocker was barely good for an inning, maybe a couple outs

Ah, so you understand the concept of a closer. :rolleyes: Rocker holds the third highest WAR in Brave's relief pitcher history, behind two of the most dominant closers of the past 30 years, Smoltz and Kimbrel. As I said, his comments weren't bad outside of NYC. Because NYC is the media capital of the sports world, he was crucified.

So you defend rocker for his comments but disagree with the kneeling?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Kneeling silently is not a childish fit or a tantrum. If you have to spin or change the definition of something to fit your view then you might as well be working for the msm.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join