It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Maybe penalize is the wrong word, I meant that if a lot of people started boycotting a team then I'd understand if they got rid of a controversial player. Sacking someone for kneeling would be pretty extreme, but choosing not to renew their contract seems reasonable, they probably take all kinds of stuff into account when they decide those things? Just theoretically speaking, I don't even know the rules for that stuff. Not saying that it's right or wrong, necessarily.

It's silly, like any kind of ceremony is, in the end, but I think at it's best it can be nice and uplifting to have rituals like that. But I also think it's reasonable for the players to have the right to kneel then, or the like. Clearly people here have differing opinions about cops and racism but they should put themselves in the shoes of a black player; I wouldn't feel too proud of myself if I strongly believed there was injustice being done, but didn't take the opportunity to protest a bit. Haha, I actually sat down one time for a song that people stood up for, but it wasn't the anthem and the stakes where way lower.

Another thing; some people said that you shouldn't get political at work, but I don't think you can compare a footballer to a burger flipper; they don't sing the anthem at the start of every shift at McDonald's. Maybe they sing it on fourth of July, and then I think a burger chef also has the right to protest by kneeling down, though it'd be a bit dumb, since not many people looking. Similarly, the NFL players have only protested during the ceremonies. Once the game starts they are doing their jobs, they don't kneel down anymore.

link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
a reply to: Gryphon66
It's not them kneeling that I exactly have issue with.

It's the "why".

If they had a bigger message, then fine.

Kneeling based on a BS narrative, just no.

How do you know it's a B.S. narrative? Or does it jist allow you to turn your head and sleep easy forcing yourself to believe it is?

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Grambler

It is.
Wouldn't it be great if we fired Trump! Get the son of a bitch out of here.

Run for Congress next year.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It is.

I disagree.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
There is no law that says the National Anthem must be played before NFL games. If the majority of people either A) don't want to stand during it OR B) don't want to see people not standing during it, why even bother with it?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You are free to be as wrong as you wish.

About whatever you wish.

edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2Baaka

originally posted by: Restricted

Already implemented this strategy. No NFL for me this year.

If they want my business they need to bring the a**hats on the field in line.

I'm not even wearing my team hat.

Wow...same for me except...

My boycott is because of people and owners like you.

A player can protest what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans. Football is a sport, not politics.

If they want to protest, fine, but do it off the field when you're not on the clock.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: Gryphon66

a reply to: UnBreakable

So don't go to games and don't watch them.

Problem solved! Everyone's rights intact.

I don't. Problem solved.

Awesome. You've voted your conscience just like the players!

Because I refuse to watch these priveledged players who make millions disrespect the flag. The only NFL player who had any balls was Pat Tillman who gave up a lucrative NFL contract, served, and died for the flag. So in my opinion, they're disrespecting a fellow player who went the total opposite route.

Why does it seem that everything is about picking up weapons, dominate others and to kill or being killed ? Are those the only values that matter ?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

So you don't attend any event that sings your national anthem because... you don't wish to voluntarily show loyalty?

You're disloyal?

No, I don't go to those events.

So if an Australian or North Korean goes to an NFL game and stands, then what, they are more loyal to the U.S. than I am?

Some might say "they stand out of respect for the feelings of the crowds."

Then standing out of peer pressure looks exactly like standing out of national loyalty.

How loyal is a divorced person?
How loyal is a signer of Declaration of Independence?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2Baaka

Already implemented this strategy. No NFL for me this year.

If they want my business they need to bring the a**hats on the field in line.

I'm not even wearing my team hat.

Wow...same for me except...

My boycott is because of people and owners like you.

A player can protest what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans. Football is a sport, not politics.

If they want to protest, fine, but do it off the field when you're not on the clock.

You people with these throat forcing metaphors. By the same token then, Trump was "on the job" when he made his asinine comments. Why should the American people have the President's politics shoved down our throats?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans
You mean like the president does?

But how does silently not standing during the National Anthem force anything down anyone's throat?

They have a contract. Salaried. Not hourly.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
There is no law that says the National Anthem must be played before NFL games. If the majority of people either A) don't want to stand during it OR B) don't want to see people not standing during it, why even bother with it?

Because, some how, suddenly, instead of giving fans a few more minutes to get beer and peanuts, standing for the National Anthem is now the preeminent way to demonstrate one honors our fallen soldiers not to mention the Flag, Mom and Apple Pie.

The cult of nationalism is not patriotism.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

You are free to be as wrong as you wish.

About whatever you wish.

Well in all my time in ats I have yet to be wrong.

So let me know if you ever notice.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Ditto.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

a reply to: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

Welcome freshly minted ATS member!

A> You're mixing up your statistics.

B> They're protesting in solidarity with the belief that Black Americans are treated differently by the legal system and police forces ... which is evidentially true no matter which stat you look at.

Yes black people are treated differently. How many white people are on that team? Blacks are better at sports? Well evidently they are better at crime too, hence all the attention

You got me, little Johnny.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

It is.

That's what voting is for, no?

See if you can.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

He has a four year contract. Voting is not the only option though.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

So you don't attend any event that sings your national anthem because... you don't wish to voluntarily show loyalty?

You're disloyal?

No, I don't go to those events.

So if an Australian or North Korean goes to an NFL game and stands, then what, they are more loyal to the U.S. than I am?

Nope. I'd stand as it is showing respect to the nation I am visiting.

I'm kinda upset though that you put NK and Aus together. Us Aussies would stand with you, not threaten you with nukes.

But whatever, it's hypothetical, right?

Some might say "they stand out of respect for the feelings of the crowds."

Then standing out of peer pressure looks exactly like standing out of national loyalty.

How loyal is a divorced person?
How loyal is a signer of Declaration of Independence?

How loyal is a man who was to marry someone in the US, who was jilted and yet still maintains that he would stand by Americans no matter what. What does that have to do with anything anyway?

I get it, you were just born there. Means nothing to you.

Oy Vey.... right?

edit on 23/9/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

He made a recommendation, not a declaration.

I had to read this post twice. What difference does it make?? He's the president of the United States, he is supposed to be the president of all. He is supposed to believe in freedom of expression. Yet, as the most powerful man in office, he decides to tell another private organization that he thinks they should fire their employees for what? Not standing for the national anthem?

You see NOTHING wrong with this?? If this was Obama or Clinton would you be saying the same thing?

Dumb question I know. Both you and I know the answer to that.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
On the bright side, I never thought so many lefties would care about football. Don't they usually bash it's barbarism?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join