It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: badw0lf

He has a four year contract. Voting is not the only option though.

I know, picking apart every little detail and finding enough crumbs might just make it one year.

Maybe less than 4.

Who knows. But I am still holding my breath for someone else to show me some evidence of something, so I can't say I will hold my breath here. Only have one.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I don't know about lefties but I got tired of it a few years back.

Do you think this is about football? Wrong thread.

edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Restricted

originally posted by: 2Baaka

Already implemented this strategy. No NFL for me this year.

If they want my business they need to bring the a**hats on the field in line.

I'm not even wearing my team hat.

Wow...same for me except...

My boycott is because of people and owners like you.

A player can protest what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans. Football is a sport, not politics.

If they want to protest, fine, but do it off the field when you're not on the clock.

You people with these throat forcing metaphors. By the same token then, Trump was "on the job" when he made his asinine comments. Why should the American people have the President's politics shoved down our throats?

Apples and oranges.

When you're on the field you are part of a football team. That is no place for individual politics and divisiveness.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Good points.

Maybe penalize is the wrong word, I meant that if a lot of people started boycotting a team then I'd understand if they got rid of a controversial player. Sacking someone for kneeling would be pretty extreme, but choosing not to renew their contract seems reasonable, they probably take all kinds of stuff into account when they decide those things? Just theoretically speaking, I don't even know the rules for that stuff. Not saying that it's right or wrong, necessarily.

The most vocal player in this situation (Colin Kaepernick) hasn't been re-signed for this current season. He's actually mixed race & became notorious for protesting a year or so ago. He also did interviews where he explained why, including his protests of the Star Spangled Banner's unsung verses. Here's the part he was referring to (from HERE):

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I wouldn't feel too proud of myself if I strongly believed there was injustice being done, but didn't take the opportunity to protest a bit. Haha, I actually sat down one time for a song that people stood up for, but it wasn't the anthem and the stakes where way lower.

2 things.

1) (gasp!) You sat down!!! I'm snitching!

2) African American athletes have been protesting since at least the times of the Civil Rights Movement. This includes all kinds of athletes from Jim Brown to Tommie Smith & John Carlos (the track & field stars who protested at the 1968 Olympics). Muhammad Ali supposedly threw his gold medal from the 1960 Rome Olympics into the Ohio River after he came back to America & they wouldn't even serve him in a racially segregated restaurant. He later was stripped of his Heavyweight titles and thrown in jail for refusing to report for military duty against Vietnam, famously saying "No Vietcong ever called me n---r".

Another thing; some people said that you shouldn't get political at work, but I don't think you can compare a footballer to a burger flipper; they don't sing the anthem at the start of every shift at McDonald's. Maybe they sing it on fourth of July, and then I think a burger chef also has the right to protest by kneeling down, though it'd be a bit dumb, since not many people looking. Similarly, the NFL players have only protested during the ceremonies. Once the game starts they are doing their jobs, they don't kneel down anymore.

The irony w/the "don't get political at work" argument is they never had a problem with it when police were saying "Blue Lives Matter", were turning their backs to the New York's mayor De Blasio, or were demanding retribution against players who openly supported BLM, the "I Can't Breathe" protests, or the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" protests. going by the logic of "don't get political at work", police should also shut up & strictly do their jobs when on the clock. But I don't here people making that argument. That double standard doesn't go unnoticed.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: 2Baaka

Already implemented this strategy. No NFL for me this year.

If they want my business they need to bring the a**hats on the field in line.

I'm not even wearing my team hat.

Wow...same for me except...

My boycott is because of people and owners like you.

A player can protest what they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans. Football is a sport, not politics.

If they want to protest, fine, but do it off the field when you're not on the clock.

You people with these throat forcing metaphors. By the same token then, Trump was "on the job" when he made his asinine comments. Why should the American people have the President's politics shoved down our throats?

Apples and oranges.

When you're on the field you are part of a football team. That is no place for individual politics and divisiveness.

... and the bully pulpit of the Presidency is???

Ptuh.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Last I heard, they are getting plenty of support from their teammates.

But the protests are happening before the game starts.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

What I object to is using the job to force politics down the throats of fans
You mean like the president does?

But how does silently not standing during the National Anthem force anything down anyone's throat?

They have a contract. Salaried. Not hourly.

1. Trump has nothing to do with this. We are discussing disrespectful behavior by football players based on their personal politics.

2. I never saw you as someone who would nitpick the second point. When they're on the field, they are on the job.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

1. Trump has nothing to do with this. We are discussing disrespectful behavior by football players based on their personal politics.
Actually, Trump is the topic of this thread.

2. I never saw you as someone who would nitpick the second point. When they're on the field, they are on the job.
During the anthem, they are on the sidelines. Play has not started.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The real topic is what the players are doing.

I'm done addressing your blatant trolling.

12 out.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Shad up Donnie. You want the players to stand? Buy a team and force them to stand. Bad news though. You can't afford one. Go ahead. Piss off the 32 billionaire owners. Each worth more than you are.

Only Paul Allen of the Hawks and Stan Koenke of the Rams are worth more than Trump's estimated high end range of $4.5 Billion. Only half of the controkling interest owners in the league are even billionares.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Okay.
Don't tear me apart...as I think everyone should be able to freely express their opinion.

But aren't these players 'at work'...and 'on company time' at these games?

If one of my employees was coming into work and using a portion of the working day to promote his personal and political agenda to our clients...while I'm paying him to do the job for which he was hired... he would be fired.

Especially so...if he kept up the practice after being reprimanded.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I don't know about lefties but I got tired of it a few years back.

Do you think this is about football? Wrong thread.

Yes, it IS about football to the millions of Americans who watch it and are becoming disgusted with the NFL(and other large corporations) imposing political will upon the populace.

You might not think it is, but the fans do. That's the rub.

We just want to watch football and now the frigging insane lefties are coming to ruin this, too.

I tell you now Phage, there's only so much middle America can take. Football runs deep in MANY of us and is quite near a religious practice. We even tall about it in church.

But you're right that it's not JUST about football, I suppose. Our way of life (in the heartland) is being attacked daily as we are called racist for merely existing and holding our American values dear.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Can one of you make your own point without claiming to speak for millions of other people?

While you're at it, you might avoid the royal "we."

Also, lay off the Breitbart and Fox News; you're gonna get an ulcer.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

We just want to watch football and now the frigging insane lefties are coming to ruin this, too.
So, don't watch until the game starts if it means that much to you.

Football runs deep in MANY of us and is quite near a religious practice. We even tall about it in church.
There actually are things far more important than football. *ducks thunderbolt*

But you're right that it's not JUST about football, I suppose. Our way of life (in the heartland) is being attacked daily as we are called racist for merely existing and holding our American values dear.
Maybe the problem is that not everyone's version of "American values" is the same. Is free speech one you hold dear?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Okay.
Don't tear me apart...as I think everyone should be able to freely express their opinion.

But aren't these players 'at work'...and 'on company time' at these games?

If one of my employees was coming into work and using a portion of the working day to promote his personal and political agenda to our clients...while I'm paying him to do the job for which he was hired... he would be fired.

Especially so...if he kept up the practice after being reprimanded.

Yeah, the concerns here are labor related.

That's GOT to be the weakest of the weak sauce here.

Let's see if these businesses that employ these highly skilled and qualified highly paid employees are as butthurt about this as Trump and many of you are, shall we?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm sure the team owners would prefer not to be losing added revenue due to controversy over players promoting their personal agendas before their clients...on company time.
edit on 23-9-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Are you just as sure that they are losing revenue because some players don't stand before the game starts?
www.paycheckcity.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

LOL How is the NFL forcing anyone to watch something? The NFL doesn't even have to show it or report it when a player doesn't kneel for the anthem. Just like they don't show it if one of the anthem's singers suddenly pulled down their pants and started gyrating at the crowd. Blame the media, the clickbait commentators, and the bored masses for making this into something bigger than it has to be.

I tell you now Phage, there's only so much middle America can take. Football runs deep in MANY of us and is quite near a religious practice. We even tall about it in church.

LOL Oh noez! How DARE those football players not salute the flag before a game! This is even more blasphemous than insulting God!!!

If "middle America" is so effin fragile and dainty that you can't "take it" when players don't stand for a song, then you're the ones with the real problems. This is even worse than the typical "first world problems" memes.

I thought you guys loved free speech & hated when people are forced to be politically correct? Name calling works both ways & this thread is about the same president who "Middle America" loved for harshly insulting every one of his critics, including fellow Republicans. And now that same president is even on twitter & in interviews calling players SOB's, yet we should pity you for being called a mean word? You don't see the hypocrisy in all of this?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm sure the behavior is causing controversy which, in turn, is pissing off a portion of paying viewers.
The end result is less potential revenue.

BTW...they're being paid the moment they take the field.
Just like they're being paid while on the bench during the game.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm sure the team owners would prefer not to be losing added revenue due to controversy over players promoting their personal agendas before their clients...on company time.

I'm sure the team owners know a lot more than you or I or anyone on this board about running their teams.

I guess we'll see.

This is what Roger Goodell had to say about Trump's opinions ...

The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture. There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we’ve experienced over the last month. Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.

Washington Post

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join