It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I wasn't laughing because I think a 1-2ft surge is funny, I was laughing because the linked map is so garbage it projected a 1-2 ft surge for Miami beach, and everything else suggests a far worse surge.
edit on 8-9-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I wasn't laughing because I think a 1-2ft surge is funny, I was laughing because the linked map is so garbage it projected a 1-2 ft surge for Miami beach, and everything else suggests a far worse surge.

Oh ok.
Maybe because it was a watch zone in that? It gets upgraded as time closes in, being they are tied into how many hours in advance they can issue warnings. I'll post an updated map . You can see if that looks right

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

The national hurricane Center said it might be 10 ft

Do you mean this Map ?
Perhaps so then
edit on 8-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

They have a Facebook page, you should post the pic and ask them what's up

There was a click to agree disclaimer thing before viewing the map, i of course did not read

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Irma has been downgraded to a category 4

NHC

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   

IRMA MOVING THROUGH THE SOUTHEASTERN BAHAMAS AS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...

Irma is forecast to remain in a favorable warm water, light shear
environment for the next 36-48 h. The intensity guidance shows a
slow weakening during this time, but Irma is expected to remain at
least a Category 4 hurricane until landfall in Florida. After
landfall, a fairly quick decay in maximum winds is expected due to
land interaction and increased shear, although Irma's large wind
field is likely to still produce hurricane-force winds over a large
area. There are two caveats to the intensity forecast. First, some
additional weakening could occur during the eyewall replacement,
followed by re-intensification as the cycle completes. Second, the
ECMWF, UKMET, and NAVGEM forecast a track over or close to the
coast of Cuba that is not currently a part of the track forecast.
If this occurs, Irma could be weaker than currently forecast along
the later parts of the track.
Overall, the new forecast track is
similar to the previous forecast, with minor westward adjustments
at 36 and 48 h.

NHC

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: Dumbass
I have seen some ugly pictures of the devastation wrecked on the islands, including St. Martin.

I still have not heard from my family over there, and no one else in the family has heard anything either. We are all texting and emailing because we know that we stand a better chance of making a connection that way, since the power is probably out across the island.

I hate Facebook but this is a time it would come in handy. But no connection there either.

No personal news here yet, but reports are dripping in through a local radio station located at St. Martin. Just saying what I heard on that. Mobile and internet mostly unavailable, landlines can receive international calls but can't call out. Extensive damages but luckily not many casualties reported. Efforts bring relief and help are slowly dripping in. There was a lot of looting but that is mostly under control now with the help of Dutch and French military. The spirit to rebuild is strong.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Rush Limbaugh will be evacuating South Florida, just days after the popular conservative radio host claimed that Hurricane Irma would not hit the United States and that scientists and the liberal media were hyping up the hurricane as proof of their global warming “lie.”

Link

lol X 10^3

I think it would be better if he sat on Miami Beach and broadcasted to demonstrate there is no reason to be alarmed.
edit on 9/8/2017 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hurricane Jose is now a Cat 4.

Jose strengthened to a Category 4 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph, in the central Atlantic Ocean – the third major hurricane of the 2017 season – and may threaten portions of the Leeward Islands this weekend.

Katia, Irma and Jose

Source
Source
edit on 8-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If you guys wanta set up your own personal map, this is pretty close to what we have with a few less whistles and bells.

www.ventusky.com...
edit on 8-9-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Okay, so how do you prepare if you can't get out of Florida?

This is your enemy as of 11AM EST, 9/8/2017. Note that it is getting stronger, not weaker.

How To Not Die (Or Suffer More Than You Have To)
(See post about 3/4 of the way down the page)

***SNIP***

Important Note:

15d.) Cross-Posting: You will not cross-post content from other discussion boards (unless you receive advance written permission from TAN or their agents).

edit on 8/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/8/2017 by Blaine91555 because: Snipped cross posted content and edited in link to material.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Does anyone know approximately WHEN hurricane Irma is supposed to start the right-hand/northward turn?

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
If you guys wanta set up your own personal map, this is pretty close to what we have with a few less whistles and bells.

www.ventusky.com...

Interesting....

From that model it looks like Irma will not break NE but swing over into the Gulf. That being the case, the warmer gulf water could really increase the danger in the Gulf coastal states.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This truly a popcorn eating event.

As all you can do is sit and watch.

There satellite data is a little off, but hey its a free browser program.

But in general it is pretty good.

You can advance the time with realtime info.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If you look at Nashville ,Tenn you'll see a circle.

That's the pressure system that counts.
edit on 8-9-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: flatbush71

www.ventusky.com...

Interesting....

From that model it looks like Irma will not break NE but swing over into the Gulf. That being the case, the warmer gulf water could really increase the danger in the Gulf coastal states.

My main concern is that IRMA will NOT turn north at the time predicted. The toughest thing to predict with IRMA is when that will happen.

Larger hurricanes often "push back" against steering currents. If the turn north is delayed, there will be a lot of MAD people, a lot of HAPPY people, and an entirely new batch of SCARED people in the Florida Panhandle, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana.

That's why I asked WHEN this turn is expected to occur.. what time on Saturday. Start counting the hours that it doesn't happen, and watch the dismay, awe, and denial, mount with the media, and government officials.

edit on 9/8/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Latest Updates

EYE OF HURRICANE IRMA MONITORED BY HURRICANE HUNTER PLANES AND CUBAN RADARS... ...HURRICANE CONDITIONS SPREADING WESTWARD OVER PORTIONS OF CUBA AND THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS.

11:00 AM EDT Fri Sep 8
Status Category 4
Moving: WNW at 14 mph
Min pressure: 927 mb
Max sustained: 150 mph

NHC

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
Hurricanes have been known to go against every prediction. They have been known to do exactly as predicted and turn around for a do over.

That is why I am extremely respectful of hurricanes. I hate putting up shutters and taking them down, especially the ones on the top, but I would much rather grumble about the darn shutters than think about what could happen without them.

I keep hearing evacuation orders being put in place for new areas. Then I hear that it is taking two hours just to go 70 miles. In a situation where gas is scarce, I don't know if evacuating is a good option, unless you have no other choice.

I am praying for all of us. There is not much more we can do.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Here's the pot of gold.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The hurricane should continue on this track for the next 24
hours.

After that time, Irma will reach the southwestern edge of
the subtropical high and begin to turn north-northwestward and
northward.

This turn will occur, but the precise moment is still
uncertain, and that is why NHC emphasizes that nobody should focus
on the exact track of the center.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well I'm about as ready as I'm going to get. Few more things to move over to the main house. I don't think we will really have a good idea about what it's going to do until a little later tomorrow. Being in Okeechobee I'll be watching just as others very closely.

There is just so much information to absorb of it going this way or that way. I'd much rather be on the west side of it as oppose to the east side. Sigh, time will tell.

Night Sky? I'd love to trade numbers with you just so we can know if we are ok or not. I know we aren't besties or anything, but we are ATSers! No harm no foul if you'd rather not.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join