It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Jose is projected to arc north and weaken. Even the hype-mongering MSM is now, reluctantly, giving in to that National Weather Service prediction.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
What amazes me is what are the chances or odds of these hurricanes so exactly hitting these major cities.

Is that a little fishy?

Nah... people built those cities there in Texas and Florida. Hurricanes were passing through those patches of land before the cities, and even humans, were there.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Never (always) fear, Lee might be joining the... the...hurricane threesome.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
Not really but I can see why one might think so. It is just that season and most floriadians are kind of used to it. This storm is so massive even moving a couple miles one way or the other isn't going to make that big of a of difference. 20-30 miles can make one though

I did feel better this morning when it was further east of me, but now I am a direct hit. I live just above the lake

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

What amazes me is what are the chances or odds of these hurricanes so exactly hitting these major cities.

Is that a little fishy?

Nah... people built those cities there in Texas and Florida. Hurricanes were passing through those patches of land before the cities, and even humans, were there.

Maybe your right...I guess I'm being all wet

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If that lake goes it will be a disaster of EPIC proportions. That water will head straight down south for not only miles, but counties. Would probably change a good portion of floridas dynamics for a long time.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Didn't Florida get nailed by 3 Hurricanes in a single season, about a decade ago?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Is that a little fishy?

Really?
The fact that hurricanes have been taking roughly the same routes forever and that , go figure, cities are are sometimes in that path why does it seem fishy?

link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical
I noticed that new feature a month or so ago during another emergency. There's an SOS
Very helpful

link   

Is that a little fishy?

No..you're not. It's just that people enjoy the type of weather that just happens to create Hurricanes.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

a reply to: EchoesInTime

Jose is projected to arc north and weaken. Even the hype-mongering MSM is now, reluctantly, giving in to that National Weather Service prediction.

Glad to hear that right now Jose is projected to weaken.
We all know weather can be very random so for the sake of everyone that is dealing with Irma and deal with Harvey I hope it fizzles out.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Hotels are booked throughout the Southeast. Went as far as Huntville, AL to find a vacant one. Not for me. We're hunkering down in the burbs. We'll probably be eating each other's faces off by Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: RickinVa
My daughter in and two of her friends are going to ride it out in Miami. They have a room rented pretty high up and have food and water stocked up but I really don't think they know what they are in for.

My guess is power will be out for 10-14 days and the streets too flooded and stores ruined to go seek any food for over a week as well.

Human misery advocate, Woof Blister, said today that south Florida will be "uninhabitable" for a month.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Is that a little fishy?

Nothing fishy about it. Its peak hurricane season. They originate off the coast of Africa this time of year and form into tropical depressions in the Atlantic, then a tropical storm and once entering warmer water get fuelled and become hurricanes

Really it's to be expected and it has been forewarned storms around the planet will intensify

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
About Lake Okeechobee
Lake Okeechobee dike probably not at risk
www.wunderground.com...

The 18Z Thursday run of the HWRF model, our top intensity model, predicts that Irma’s western eyewall will bring northerly Category 3-strength winds of 115 mph to Lake Okeechobee on Sunday night. From what I understand, the storm surge that these winds would drive is not a concern for causing failure of the dike; it’s the storm’s rains that are a bigger concern. The 10 – 15” of rain could easily cause the lake to rise 3 – 4 feet over the next month, putting stress on the dike. Fortunately, the lake is at a lower-than-average level for this time of year (about 13.5 feet), thanks to drought conditions that gripped Florida earlier this year. A rise of 3 – 4 feet would keep the lake under the danger level of 18 feet. However, we are only halfway through hurricane season, and the rains from another very wet hurricane or tropical storm hitting the state would be a significant danger to the dike. The Army Corps began dumping water out of the lake on September 5 in preparation for the hurricane, and these efforts will have to continue for the rest of September to keep the dike safe. Unfortunately, this will cause severe pollution problems along both coasts of Florida where the fertilizer-laden water drains.

We have to hope and pray this will be enough.
And, of course, note the good news/bad news that the draining will pollute the Florida coast.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Is that a little fishy?

From what I see every 10 -20 years we see string like this.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Southern Florida has now upgraded its hurricane watch to WARNING

This isn't on the NOAA site, just heard it on CNN

Can't get updates on NHC just yet
Will update more once it's in
lamdfall is still uncertain
edit on 7-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Is that a little fishy?

Nothing fishy about it. Its peak hurricane season. They originate off the coast of Africa this time of year and form into tropical depressions in the Atlantic, then a tropical storm and once entering warmer water get fuelled and become hurricanes

Really it's to be expected and it has been forewarned storms around the planet will intensify

One day, mankind will be technologically advanced enough to disrupt the tropical depressions enough to prevent them from becoming stronger.

link   
Here's my point

I’m talking about the odds of a hurricane in the wide open space just happening to fall on these major US cities wrecking havoc.

Then I guess most of the time Hurricanes just end up over unpopullated empty land, right?

link   
Sooner than expected. Florida is screwed And ATL looks like it's on the # side of the eye now. That'll cripple another major metro.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join