It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Once the storm effects start to hit an area, how long will it take Irma to pass on enough that the majority of it has died down? In other words, how long will there be heavy winds at any one location?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
My daughter in and two of her friends are going to ride it out in Miami. They have a room rented pretty high up and have food and water stocked up but I really don't think they know what they are in for.
edit on R342017-09-07T19:34:07-05:00k349Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Here are the new mandatory evacuations that will be enacted tomorrow

edit on 7/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Several hours.
And sounds like a continuous freight train coming through your living room.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
My daughter in and two of her friends are going to ride it out in Miami. They have a room rented pretty high up and have food and water stocked up but I really don't think they know what they are in for.

My guess is power will be out for 10-14 days and the streets too flooded and stores ruined to go seek any food for over a week as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves
I agree with you on that but I guess it's been explained it's more than just a statement. It needs approval from a variety of agencies and costs millions to prepare around an issued watch or warning.

That was something I heard a weather guy say today. I might not have said it right but that was the general gist of it.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

edit on 7-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Once the storm effects start to hit an area, how long will it take Irma to pass on enough that the majority of it has died down? In other words, how long will there be heavy winds at any one location?

Not sure about that. Take into account the width of this thing. 361 miles wide I think, so the winds extend outward quite far. The north eastern quadrant is the worst as far as wind goes

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Seems to be producing up to 90 ft waves

edit on 7/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
Several hours.
And sounds like a continuous freight train coming through your living room.

Good God that's scary!!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

I hope they are safe. So long as this isn't a high rise though? The winds are worse on higher floors with windows smashing

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Hurricane force winds will last 10 hours (near the eye) the outer tropical fierce winds are 36 hours

Edit: not sure if I'm correct on this, if anyone else knows?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You are pretty close Violet.
I crunched the numbers but didn't post.
The hurricane force winds are on a line of 140 miles long. (175 mph and gust to 215)
Moving presently a 16 Mph is what 8 hours 45 mins.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Okay. They can't seem to agree on why they are evacuating West West Palm Beach.

The first report by the EOC claimed it was because the home constructions were poor, and made an effort to say that it had nothing to do with the dike.

Now they are saying that the dike is sound but they are afraid of a storm surge and that the dike will not be able to hold all the waters of Lake O.

I have been concerned about that dike for a while now, and I don't believe for one minute that the dike is as sound as they are trying to say it is.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ProphetZoroaster

There is free wifi across Florida now through Sept. 15, so people can stay connected during #HurricaneIrma .

Click image for details.

Also, anybody who witnesses any price gouging is urged to report offenders to the Attorney General's office. The have 50 people on full time and 60 volunteers fielding calls. They are taking this very seriously and are enforcing strictly by threatening to fine and destroy the reputation of businesses involved in thee immoral acts. Price gougers may be shot by disgruntled citizens if they do not watch their behavior. I hope they do the right thing.

Pam Bondi publicly rips price gougers
TAMPA — Some 4,000 Floridians have called in complaints over price gouging since Monday as residents shop and travel in preparation for Hurricane Irma, Attorney General Pam Bondi said Thursday. "Shame on you if you're trying to gouge someone (for) water, food, baby supplies," Bondi said, addressing media at an office where staffers process the complaints.

During a state of emergency, Florida companies can't sell essential commodities — like food, water or emergency generators — at a price that "grossly exceeds" its average price for the previous 30 days. "You can't take advantage of your fellow Floridians," Bondi said. "You can't do that. And shame on anybody who would want to do that, who wants to make an extra buck and hurt people who are trying to get out of our state."

The state can charge a one-time violator $1,000, and repeat offenders may have to pay up to $25,000. "We can hurt you financially, but we can also destroy your reputation by telling everybody that you're bad and telling everybody not to shop at your business," Bondi said.

Bondi said the state is staffed with 50 full-time employees fielding calls and 60 additional volunteers. They are now getting about 100 complaints an hour, and is glad the word seems to be spreading. "My goal is to fix it. My goal is to make sure everyone has a hotel, people have water, people have fuel at a reasonable cost so they can get out of town." Anyone who sees potential price gouging can call the office's hotline, tollfree, at 1-866-966-7226.

Seriously, do it immediately if you see it. The State is not putting up with this behavior and any shopkeepers found guilty are going to lose that ill gotten gains with fines.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Google has this feature that lets you say what you are looking for and then returns pages that contain that information. For instance if I search for hurricane shelters miami dade, I get many links from many different organizations that are reporting on where shelters are open. If you can find ready.com you can also find a shelter with little extra work..

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Its looking like central and south florida will be devastated by cat. 3 or 4 hurricane force winds for hours. I would urge anyone in a wooden structure or mobile home to go to a shelter or evacuate.

Hurricane Andrew flattened Homestead Fl. and Irma will do more damage over a large portion of Fl. The electricity will be out for weeks.

I'm sorry for all you folks in its path. Not to mention, Hurricane Jose close behind.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Some Floridians watch your video and say..."Hey, that's not so bad. We can ride it out Mildred!"

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn I mglad to see you are here, I hope you consider getting out from under. I don't trust them one bit either. It's not like they can admit it sucks. We know it has been bad for years.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What amazes me is what are the chances or odds of these hurricanes so exactly hitting these major cities.

Is that a little fishy?

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join