It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
whoa.. Nuclear waste is near. Get your masks.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Total oh # mode in ATL. Not sure my house can handle sustained winds of 40 to 50 for so long, not to mention the gusts. And that's if the eye stays east of us.

Cheap -ass beige box in the burbs, nothing but builder grade crap.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thread was closed, so here it is again.

I live in Northwest FL, and I feel that we might be out of the path of Irma for now... Looks like south FL is gonna get hammered, and I wish you guys luck. Might want to get out if you haven't already.

It appears that there is tons of coverage by the media on Irma, but most of them seem to be hyping the crap out of it.. and they kind of should considering its an insane storm. But I found that the other media agencies covering Irma are more about the fear mongering than they are about actual tracking and coverage forecasts.

I have found a source that has been my goto since I found it for the latest coverage. Its a news station out of Virginia doing the coverage, and they don't sit around and fear monger the crap out of this.. One of their meteorologists has kind of become a celebrity since Irma because he provides very good graphic models, and actually explains the situation in a calm and clear manner. It appears this guy is a straight shooter, has a vast array of knowledge and graphics to help explain exactly why Irma is what it is. His name is Tim Pandajis from 13News Now out of Virginia, and I figured I'd share the latest video that he has put out so you guys can get some better coverage.

Not sure if you care about the past videos, but you can go back and watch them if you need to learn anything else. I feel this guy is better than the weather channel on the coverage of Irma. Hope you guys find this source helpful.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I can not believe the people who are refusing to evacuate... one woman was gloating about her 15 month supply of baby formula..... what about fresh water... cant make formula with out water.... when the reporter said " what if it gets bad and you cant leave, then what ? " the look on the womans face said it all. My infant and i are #ed....

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Who do you call if, for some reason, you don't have the means or a way to evacuate? Who do you contact for help getting a way out? Asking for a friend.

650,000 Ordered to Flee Miami-Dade in County's Largest Evacuation Ever

Source

The ready.gov site checklist for During Evacuations has a "blank" on where to look for shelters or help.

Gas shortages are further complicating evacuations.

All of Florida... could be next. That's a lot of people. Not everyone has seven dollars in their pocket every day. Irma is massive.

Hotel rooms are reportedly full throughout. Where are people going and is there help to get there? Thanks all.

edit on 7-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

People tire of the news hype for sure. I know I did living there, but always had a plan in case but might not be the best if evacuation is the safest option. At the very least there's a certain sense of community that happens which of course is positive. ............................................................... Similar here as last Dec. Or so the news hyped the typhoon remnants coming shore in the New with a 100 mph or so wind warning. Many places instead had about 50 to 60 mph that was still enough to isolate areas due to bridge and ferry closures.
edit on 7-9-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
we just got those instructions too. However; when it does hit, it will be a lesser hurricane. I'm going to ride it out, because once you leave, they won't let you back in.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Hi, I live near Disney, in cement block house with hurricane 'prepped' windows, so we're not planning to evacuate -

- but I am starting to get a bit more worried now that the projections show the storm coming right over Orlando...

...what I wanted to ask is if you've heard anything about the cold front (which seems to be visible in the satellite image) that was supposed to be 'steering' Irma more into the Atlantic?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Thanks for posting that.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical1972

One if my friends is headed back to Fl after being out of state which is also a possible landfall location. I am worried about that as is their concern for not being able to return home. Confusing and scary times for you guys...stay safe.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Thread was closed, so here it is again.

I live in Northwest FL, and I feel that we might be out of the path of Irma for now... Looks like south FL is gonna get hammered, and I wish you guys luck. Might want to get out if you haven't already.

It appears that there is tons of coverage by the media on Irma, but most of them seem to be hyping the crap out of it.. and they kind of should considering its an insane storm. But I found that the other media agencies covering Irma are more about the fear mongering than they are about actual tracking and coverage forecasts.

I have found a source that has been my goto since I found it for the latest coverage. Its a news station out of Virginia doing the coverage, and they don't sit around and fear monger the crap out of this.. One of their meteorologists has kind of become a celebrity since Irma because he provides very good graphic models, and actually explains the situation in a calm and clear manner. It appears this guy is a straight shooter, has a vast array of knowledge and graphics to help explain exactly why Irma is what it is. His name is Tim Pandajis from 13News Now out of Virginia, and I figured I'd share the latest video that he has put out so you guys can get some better coverage.

Not sure if you care about the past videos, but you can go back and watch them if you need to learn anything else. I feel this guy is better than the weather channel on the coverage of Irma. Hope you guys find this source helpful.

That's the best way of explaining it - clearly and calmly. A hurricane releases more energy every second with strong winds than the shockwave of a nuclear explosion. If you said the state was going to be "nuked", everyone would flee or seek shelter. but show them pictures of a big white fluffy cloud with a hole in the center, and they'll go down to the supermarket and buy out all the beer kegs and crates to watch the show. People go down to the DIY store to get chipboard to put over the windows of their beach-house. When they come back, there isn't a beach left.

It's really hard for some to comprehend that a hurricane is the atmospheric equivalent of a black hole. All the air at the ground level rises upwards and out through the "eye" of the storm. Everything else gets torn apart by the high speed winds (180+ mph). That's practically the speed of air undergoing explosive decompression in an aircraft.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

...what I wanted to ask is if you've heard anything about the cold front (which seems to be visible in the satellite image) that was supposed to be 'steering' Irma more into the Atlantic?

That's the 64 dollar question.
Everyone is waiting for that fronts effect.
It will determine how far east Irma will turn.
edit on 7-9-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
I can certainly understand that, then people become complacent.

I'd get sick of boarding up my house repeatedly if it ended up being for nothing. Especially having to leave. I'd also not enjoy being in a shelter being told what to do. You miss your own bed too much, so I can see wanting to stay in your own home. Also there's looting to worry about if you leave it. Lots of things to consider.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71

That's the 64 dollar question.
Everyone is waiting for that fronts effect.
It will determine how far east Irma will turn.

I think it's a High pressure ridge steering it now. Not sure though. Then there's the jet stream giving it a nudge.

It's not done Cuba yet as far as I know so that will be another factor coming into play.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Latest updates... not all are in yet
www.nhc.noaa.gov...
"IRMA PUMMELING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS"

The wind is not going down much

8:00 PM EDT Thu Sep 7
Status Category 5
Moving: WNW at 16 mph
Min pressure: 919 mb
Max sustained: 175 mph

WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* Jupiter Inlet southward around the Florida peninsula to Bonita
Beach
* Florida Keys

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* Dominican Republic from Cabo Frances Viejo to the northern border
with Haiti
* Haiti from the northern border with the Dominican Republic to Le
Mole St. Nicholas
* Southeastern Bahamas and the Turks and Caicos Islands
* Cuban provinces of Camaguey, Ciego de Avila, Sancti Spiritus, and
Villa Clara
* Central Bahamas
* Northwestern Bahamas

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* Jupiter Inlet southward around the Florida peninsula to Bonita
Beach
* Florida Keys
* Lake Okeechobee
* Florida Bay
* Cuban provinces of Guantanamo, Holguin, Las Tunas and Matanzas.

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* Haiti from south of Le Mole St. Nicholas to Port-Au-Prince
* Cuban provinces of Guantanamo, Holguin, and Las Tunas
edit on 7-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Sep 7 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCE ADDED

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
STORM SURGE WATCHES/ WARNINGS
** As it gets closer this information may change **

This is what MOAA has determined to be a "life threatening storm surge"

View interactive map here

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Here's the model error scale.
We are give or take 60Hrs. +/- out.
Note high probability rating at 48 hours.

Buck

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl

Hi, I live near Disney, in cement block house with hurricane 'prepped' windows, so we're not planning to evacuate -

- but I am starting to get a bit more worried now that the projections show the storm coming right over Orlando...

I'm sorry I can't answer your question.

I think you are better prepped than others being in a concrete house though.
Stay safe and our prayers and thought are with all of you

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
STORM SURGE WATCHES/ WARNINGS
** As it gets closer this information may change **

View interactive map here

With the advancements in prediction sciences, would it make sense to extend the timeline restrictions for issuing watches and warnings? It seems like adding more preparation time on the front end, would make sense, especially when most models are close to one another.

Because outside preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, watches are issued 48 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical-storm-force winds.

Action: During a watch, prepare your home and review your plan for evacuation in case a Hurricane or Tropical Storm Warning is issued. Listen closely to instructions from local officials.

Tropical Storm Warning: An announcement that tropical-storm conditions are expected within the specified area.Hurricane Warning: An announcement that hurricane conditions are expected within the specified area.

Because outside preparedness activities become difficult once winds reach tropical storm force, warnings are issued 36 hours in advance of the anticipated onset of tropical-storm-force winds.

48 and 36 seems a bit tight when its incoming with mandatory evacuations...anticipated.
Source

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join