It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: violet

Just dropping this vid off as it has a lot of info about whats up in Florida

Thanks for posting this. Very informative video
Everyone in Miami should watch this

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
well i'm right next to the coast of tampa bay as in you can walk there in 5 minutes, for some reason none of the hospitals are willing to admit me even though a regular shelter nor special needs shelter will accept me either because my ventilator and such...
not sure what i'll do and ever since obamacare forced florida to change medicaid i no longer have a general case worker to manage all this kind of stuff so my mother has to do it all without a clue of what to do or how everything works for my situation, as a result everything takes forever, almost nothing is approved and everything has become a mess when it used to work far more smoothly.

ok i'll quit complaining but seriously i might be screwed and if i somehow get out i probably won't see you all for months after sunday, wish me luck and hopefully the storm surge isn't too bad in the bay.

link   
NHC - 500 PM EDT Fri Sep 08 2017

Latest data from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter plane a few hours ago
indicate that Irma's intensity continues to fluctuate, and the
winds are estimated at 135 kt. The last minimum central pressure
was 925 mb. Another reconnaissance plane will check Irma soon.

Satellite images and radar fixes from Cuba indicate that Irma has
slowed down and is now moving toward the west or 280 degrees at
about 10 kt. The hurricane should continue on this track for the
next 12 hours to 24 hours, and this track will bring the core of
Irma very close to the north coast of Cuba. After that time, Irma
should reach the southwestern edge of the subtropical high and begin
to move toward the northwest and north-northwest toward the Florida
peninsula.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

link   
Notice to weather manipulation weather wars people

MIT Meteorologist Kerry Emanuel estimates IRMA's power as 700 000 mw
The entire electricity generation of the USA is 1064100 mw
In terms of destructive power ww2 x 2
This thing is not man made

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere
So sorry to hear that

Hope you can get through this unscathed and once it's over can get your needs sorted out. I'm special needs and I cannot imagine how I'd cope in a situation like this.
Best of luck to you, prayers and thoughts

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Latest track and warnings.

NHC

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProphetZoroaster

This is downright chilling. I mean, I grew up knowing it could happen anywhere I lived in these 2 graphics, but actually knowing it's a looming reality and not a hypothetical anymore is a completely different thing.

The coastline has a lot of people, and I can't even being to tell you how many mobile homes within just a few blocks of the water, mobile homes on the islands, old, rickety homes held together with duct tape and spit, etc. And I bet a lot of people living in them could not afford to leave, or wouldn't, period.

That second graphic, I have several friends living in the high surge spots, and we have at least one poster living in one of the high surge spots. I hope like hell they all took their families & bolted days ago, I haven't heard from any of them yet. I'm starting to worry, but hoping they're out of the state.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hope they got all the chickens (fowl) out of the Keys. Looks like Cat 5 again at landfall?

The strength: Irma is a Category 4 storm now, but it is expected to make landfall in the Florida Keys as a Category 5 hurricane.

the latest

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: ketsuko

The Turkey Creek nuclear plant is a concern. It has plenty of issues without a major hurricane. It is an old plant that needs to be completely updated or decommisioned imho. Hopefully the surge will not cause a catastrophic failure.

LOoks like they are in the process of shutting down Turkey Creek and St Lucie.
money.cnn.com...

Gould said the nuclear sites are among the strongest in the United States and are designed to withstand heavy wind and storm surge. Turkey Point's nuclear reactors are enclosed in six feet of steel-reinforced concrete and sit 20 feet above sea level, the Miami Herald reported. Nuclear plants also have significant redundancies that serve as back-ups to back-ups.

Turkey Point, located just south of Miami in Homestead, survived a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew in 1992. However, the facility did suffer $90 million in damage from that Category 5 storm, according to press reports.

"This storm has the potential to eclipse Hurricane Andrew," Gould said.

I've heard reports from friends on increased flyovers around Selfridge ANG in MIchigan.
Seems the bases in the SE are moving aircraft out of harms way:

Aircraft based at military bases across the southeastern United States will be relocating to Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township after evacuating ahead of Hurricane Irma’s landfall, officials at the 127th Wing at Selfridge said Thursday.

www.macombdaily.com...
www.freep.com...
ed it on Fri Sep 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Oh, my!!!!!!

I truly hope you can find some place to ride out the storm.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There was a time when husband was thinking about changing jobs and one of the best possibilities would have moved us to Tampa Bay area. The better schools were all on the St. Petersburg side, so I was looking at places to settle over there.

I guess it's a good thing we stayed put.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
They just said on the news here that 5-6million people have evacuated Fla. I find that amazing. I'm also a bit surprised after the farce that Matthew ended up being. A lot of people didn't trust them after that. All in all it didn't seem to go too badly considering.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
They just said on the news here that 5-6million people have evacuated Fla. I find that amazing. I'm also a bit surprised after the farce that Matthew ended up being. A lot of people didn't trust them after that. All in all it didn't seem to go too badly considering.

edit on 8/9/2017 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm in Lee county, FL at the moment. I came here for college and ever since I got here I've been counting down the days til I can move back north. I'm not worried so much about the hurricane, but rather going days without AC. I can't tolerate heat at all. My body is heavily attuned to the cold. I'd shovel snow in shorts and a tshirt in the middle of winter and be warm. I'll be in Hell if I have to go weeks trapped in this miserable heat.
I swear to anything there is to swear to that when I graduate and leave I'll never step foot back in this god-forsaken hellhole of a state. I'm not even being sarcastic, I'd rather die than come back here even for a single day. I only have 2 more semesters until I'm done, and I better damn well survive to gtfo of Florida.

Sitting around waiting is the worst. I wish the hurricane would just get here and get it over with.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
How long do you guys think the various parts of Florida will be without power? My parents seem to think 10 or so days seems reasonable. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I know our power went out 14 times one day just from thunderstorms, which is absolutely absurd, so I'm afraid to find out what the hurricane will do.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Get a generator.

Should have anyway.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Generators are probably in short supply. Along with plywood.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
Get a generator.

Should have anyway.

If that was to me, we do have one. My parents say it isn't meant for AC, but rather just to keep the refrigerator running. We also don't have alot of fuel for it, so even if it was powerful enough to run the AC, it'd run out of fuel far too quickly for it to be useful in that regard. My father could have gotten a generator earlier but he never wants to spend money on anything... So now he has a small one that will run the fridge with barely enough fuel to run the fridge.
Back north we were perfectly fine. Power out from massive snow storm? No problem, run the generator for a few days. Down here he decided we didn't need one until the last second.

When I moved here I had a feeling something bad would happen, and now it's about to. I shoulda never came, I don't belong anywhere it doesn't snow.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
How long do you guys think the various parts of Florida will be without power? My parents seem to think 10 or so days seems reasonable. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I know our power went out 14 times one day just from thunderstorms, which is absolutely absurd, so I'm afraid to find out what the hurricane will do.

That's really hard to know, depends on the damage involved and the conditions for the crews to venture out in it.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join