It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

Nice. Now the big question, was this for optics or will the charges stick?

Doubtful these arrests will be as prominent as the story itself, but it least it's a win in the "what is right" category.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010
Well color me surprised LMAO! HAHHA!! Arrests are actually being made. BWHAHHAHAHHA

www.theatlantic.com...

And that's the last anyone ever cared about the statue. Starred anyway though cause that's funny as f, but now that it's resolved is there any serious concern for the preservation of objectively questionable material?

Or are we just going to let that stuff be destroyed by psychopaths?

This isn't the 'defend your daughter' argument here, there are thousands of confederate artifacts at risk.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
*begin sarcasm*
What do we do about Civil War re-enactors, the people who perform in Civil War plays and demos. Surely the ones who play confederate soldiers are all evil and should be shunned, if not dealt with violently right? They must all be closet racists, why else would they want to play a Confederate soldier?
*end sarcasm*

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: ker2010

Nice. Now the big question, was this for optics or will the charges stick?

Doubtful these arrests will be as prominent as the story itself, but it least it's a win in the "what is right" category.

It's insanity they weren't arrested on the spot. The police department's excuse of "well it's county jurisdiction" is bogus. What would they do if they saw a murder taking place in the same location? Just call the county sheriff and look the other way? What a bunch of cowards, just admit you didn't do anything because you approved.
edit on 15 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Well color me surprised LMAO! HAHHA!! Arrests are actually being made. BWHAHHAHAHHA

www.theatlantic.com...

Good.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Agreed. From those statements there is no other inference other than they wanted it to happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Lincoln memorial vandalized.

Someone vandalized the Lincoln Memorial, the National Park Service said.

The words "F--- law" were found written in red spray paint early Tuesday on a pillar at the monument that overlooks the Capitol building and National Mall, NPS said Tuesday afternoon. The graffiti was found about 4:30 a.m.

www.nbcwashington.com...

Mostly black group mobilizes to defend statues.

“I’m not intimidated by Robert E. Lee’s statue. I’m not intimidated by it. It doesn’t scare me,” said Crenshaw. “We don’t want America to think that all African Americans are supportive of this.”

Crenshaw, along with some Buffalo Solider historians and Sons of Confederate Veterans are coming together to help protect the Confederate markers from toppling over in Dallas.

They feel the monuments, like the Freedman’s Cemetery, tell an important story and help heal racial wounds.

“Some people think that by taking a statue down, that’s going to erase racism,” said Crenshaw. “Misguided.”

dfw.cbslocal.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I wonder how much of their sentiment rings with the rest of the AA community.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Good for anyone standing up against vandalism.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
College student, 22, arrested for her role in toppling Confederate statue in North Carolina

Takiya Thompson, 22, brought a ladder up to the statue and used a rope to pull down the Confederate Soldiers Monument that was dedicated in 1924, according to The Associated Press.

Who is this vandal?

Thompson, a student at historically black North Carolina Central University, faces vandalism misdemeanor and felony charges, including for property damage and participation in a riot, according to the Durham County Sheriff’s Office. Durham County Sheriff Mike Andrews said Tuesday that his deputies were working to identify others involved in the incident and plan to pursue felony charges against them.

Good to hear the arrests have begun. Let's see how many cower into their safe space when confronted with the reality of their actions.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Good for anyone standing up against vandalism.

The black people defending the statues just shows that this is a very complicated issue.

Sometimes we can view people more as a race than an individual and make broad statements like "black people don't like that" and that can silence voices that don't fit neatly into a category.

I don't know what the answer is, but I agree with you its not vandalism.

Dialogue is a much better starting point.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

www.theatlantic.com...

According to comments:

Thompson is the leader of the Durham chapter of the World Workers Party that organized taking down the monument . . . a Communist organization that advocates the overthrow of the state and federal governments to replace it with Communism. It was a generic monument to Civil War dead . . . most of whom were conscripted (aka drafted). It's the same as grave desecration. Be very careful who you align yourself with. The World Workers Party actively and very publicly supports North Korea and Kim Il Sung.

So I looked into it

nypost.com...

Deputies took Thompson, a member of the far-left Workers World Party and a student at N.C. Central University, into custody Tuesday shortly after she appeared at a press conference with other protesters.

www.workers.org...

Good Lord. They even have a patreon page. Filthy capitalism!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Wait ... weren't you and some other notables here calling for insurrection a few months ago?

From, say, 2009-2017?

Nah, you're right. Dirty Communists, exercising that free speech thing.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Date

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

A complicated issue? I don't see it that way.

The only complication is when we become confused about the essential motivation involved in an action or philosophy.

Does it lend itself to the greatest freedom and opportunity for everyone? Or does it set up a system in which some are "more free" than others (and subject to, you know, violence and destruction, etc.)? How much does a system require control over other people?

It's really very simple.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Wait ... weren't you and some other notables here calling for insurrection a few months ago?

From, say, 2008-2017?

No, you are mistaken. At most I suggested secession, but I do not advocate violence. Speaking of which, I'm interested to see how Calexit is progressing.

How embarrassing for you, huh?
edit on 15-8-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

So a communist tore down the statue.

Well, communists aren't known for their love for freedom, free expression.

So this censoring, book-burning bitch was only doing what she was trained to do.

*shrug*

Throw the book at "the peoples bitch".

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

From, say, 2008-2017?

No, you are mistaken. At most I suggested secession, but I do not advocate violence. Speaking of which, I'm interested to see how Calexit is progressing.

Embarrassing for me? Not at all.

I'm not embarrassed at all to point out blatant hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So a communist tore down the statue.

Well, communists aren't known for their love for freedom, free expression.

So this censoring, book-burning bitch was only doing what she was trained to do.

*shrug*

Throw the book at "the peoples bitch".

Yeah, who does she think she is?

Speech is only free when you say it is right chief?

Always good to see a core authoritarian in full outrage.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Always good to see a core authoritarian in full outrage.

We did.

that's why the bitch was arrested.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

From, say, 2008-2017?

Embarrassing for me? Not at all.

I'm not embarrassed at all to point out blatant hypocrisy.

No, embarrassment at being wrong about attributing something to me, then doubling down when you realize you are wrong and trying to sound like it doesn't bother you.

Sounds almost sociopathic.

You could just say "Oops, my bad."

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join