It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Where does it end?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right." George Orwell, 1984

I asked this question last night.

What happens when they start digging pre-civil war?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That scares me more than anything else.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: queenofswords

Every single deputy on duty at that "protest" that allowed this monument to be climbed and toppled should be fired for dereliction of duty.

Yea, that'll happen. /sarc

Were passing some dangerous precedents. What's worse as people thinking this process is ok, and why argue? No one is enforcing the laws.

This is exactly why people should not be celebrating what happened with this statue, and saying "it's okay, they needed to do it, they couldn't get what they wanted legally so it was okay for them to act in violence and destroy something instead"

First it was with flags.....and people said "It's okay, nothing else is going to happen"

Now it's with statues......and people are saying "It's okay, they were right to do this because they couldn't get it done any other way"

Next it will be with other things:

Historical places.....let's burn them down....oh crap, sorry how that fire got out of control there, burning down homes and businesses there......what? Someone got killed? Oh well, got to crack a few eggs you know, it's okay: they HAD to do it. They were right to do it!

Books, gotta get the books, burn them, get rid of them. How dare those books say things that we don't agree with!

Next will be those people that try to speak things we don't agree with.....we need to stop them! Shut them down! (oh wait, this one has been going on since the election.....along with all that property damage and people getting hurt).

Slipper slope? Hell, we've been sliding down it out of control for 10 months now......because some people just can't handle not getting their way and insisting that everyone should agree with them and do things their way.

Isaac Asimov was right:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

This bears repeating.

In no time, at the rate some of these folks are going, they'll be justifying the killing of whites, because, gee, "whiteness" is supposedly responsible for all the evils of the world. Same excuses will be offered.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I share that view.

The U.S. along with any and every other great civilization has an ugly past. Greatness doesn't come cheap nor easy. Even since my childhood, institutions of learning have gone through great lengths to hide this history. No shame in teaching the same vile tactics of other nations living and long past however.

I will never understand the goal of changing history to suit a narrative. IMO the correct logic is always learn from history.

I wish there was a rational way to put this point across or perhaps someone has the perfect counter argument.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010
I live in Durham and this pisses me off.

The time has past for enforcement of the laws of the land. No one has bothered in quite some time.

I find it unconscionable that the Durham Police stood by and allowed public property to be destroyed and did nothing!

What's next? The burning of the court's building because it somehow represents some injustice and offends the Left's political sensibilities?

If the Law does not investigate and the AG does not bring charges against ALL those involved, directly or as accessories, and try them in a court of law then we can just throw in the towel and call the great American experiment of freedom dead.

It is the law and the fair application of the law that makes this country and it's freedoms happen. It is the very thing that keeps us from absolute anarchy like the toppling of that statue.

A just sentence for these miscreants would be time for destruction, restitution for the cost of repair and REPLACEMENT of the statue.

Cool your jets bro. The Sheriff is on the case
www.google.com... /amp/

mobile.twitter.com...

And Justice for ALL!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

A statue isn't a record.

*beats dead horse*

You know there are still photographs of it? People will remember, you're proving it right now, because the statue is gone.

Unless we're talking about the actual confederacy.

*beats dead horse*

Can you provide some information on how this statue educated people about that? I assume it was a long story engraved on a massive plaque or something right? Oh, wait, it was just a statue?

*beast dead horse*

So if there is still a photo of it, and the story, and obviously the history of the confederate, forgive me here, was never ON THE STATUE, what part of history was lost?

*beats dead horse*

What part of "History" is lost other than the physical statue? Is that it? You ALL seem very concerned some type of information would be lost, but the Statue is nothing other than a Statue.

See? Right here, it still exists in history
www.trbimg.com...

*beats dead horse*
but if you could please enlighten me what you mean as to comparing it to George Orwell quotes, when the statue contained no actual information other than glorifying a racist?

To answer my specific question, none of you have, can, or will, nearly rhetorical at this point:
WHAT HISTORY WAS LOST? The irony of even asking such a question seems lost on you all.
edit on 15-8-2017 by SoDumb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Catscratch

originally posted by: ker2010
I live in Durham and this pisses me off.

The time has past for enforcement of the laws of the land. No one has bothered in quite some time.

I find it unconscionable that the Durham Police stood by and allowed public property to be destroyed and did nothing!

What's next? The burning of the court's building because it somehow represents some injustice and offends the Left's political sensibilities?

If the Law does not investigate and the AG does not bring charges against ALL those involved, directly or as accessories, and try them in a court of law then we can just throw in the towel and call the great American experiment of freedom dead.

It is the law and the fair application of the law that makes this country and it's freedoms happen. It is the very thing that keeps us from absolute anarchy like the toppling of that statue.

A just sentence for these miscreants would be time for destruction, restitution for the cost of repair and REPLACEMENT of the statue.

Cool your jets bro. The Sheriff is on the case
www.google.com... /amp/

mobile.twitter.com...

And Justice for ALL!

Yeah ive seen that, Ill believe it when I see it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SoDumb

A statue isn't a record.

It is. It's an actual physical representation.

You know there are still photographs of it? People will remember, you're proving it right now, because the statue is gone. Unless we're talking about the actual confederacy.

I'm glad you've taken it upon yourself to decide what pieces of history are important and worthy of still being talked about. Be sure to keep me abreast of any changes.

So if there is still a photo of it, and the story, and obviously the history of the confederate, forgive me here, was never ON THE STATUE, what part of history was lost?

Earlier in this thread I pointed out what the confederate flag actually is. Why don't we see it anywhere and how come most don't recognize it?

but if you could please enlighten me what you mean as to comparing it to George Orwell quotes, when the statue contained no actual information other than glorifying a racist?

If we are to take the history of the United States and boil it down to such vague and emotional terms, then discard and censor what we don't like, there won't be a history to tell.

WHAT HISTORY WAS LOST?

No one is saying history is lost, your question is baseless and part of that horse you keep beating. The sentiment being carried is that this wasn't created in a vacuum. It has been a progression and this is the latest development of censoring an ugly history which now more than ever needs to be examined and learned if not re-learned from.

I know it's hard..cuz racists!

Next.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

So because racist statues are removed, there isn't a story.

Gotcha.

Just wanted to see if your train of logic was as bad as I thought initially.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SoDumb

How is a statue racist?

Does it talk to you and make fun of your skin color?

Did the statue make you sit in the back of the bus?

How is an inanimate object racist?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It's more about the pride it gives current racists, to see a glorious depiction of a previous racist.

It's empowering.

How is a Swastika racist? It's not even tangible, just a symbol? Same reason.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

What happens when they start digging pre-civil war?

They're already doing it. Orwell had it right.

If this doesn't stop, only the Party will be right. There will only by that which the Party approves of.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoDumb

A statue isn't a record.

*beats dead horse*

You know there are still photographs of it? People will remember, you're proving it right now, because the statue is gone.

Unless we're talking about the actual confederacy.

*beats dead horse*

Can you provide some information on how this statue educated people about that? I assume it was a long story engraved on a massive plaque or something right? Oh, wait, it was just a statue?

*beast dead horse*

*beats dead horse*

What part of "History" is lost other than the physical statue? Is that it? You ALL seem very concerned some type of information would be lost, but the Statue is nothing other than a Statue.

See? Right here, it still exists in history
www.trbimg.com...

*beats dead horse*

To answer my specific question, none of you have, can, or will, nearly rhetorical at this point:
WHAT HISTORY WAS LOST? The irony of even asking such a question seems lost on you all.

Representative honor of the cost of intolerance, and the price paid for being in the millions of lives lost in senseless conflict.
To show what happens when you try to FORCE people to change, which has, and always will be, rebellion and the loss of innocent life.
They say the road to hell is paved in good intentions my dear, a lesson you would be wise to remember.

Also I see you are confused about Orwell quotes. Perhaps you should give that old book a read, and you will see the domino effect that could be taking place now.

Many an dangerous party became powerful by attempts to silence it.

They promised the South would Rise Again.
Should this senseless beating of a dead horse you call "Nazism" and "Supremacy" continue...then my naive friend, you will witness that Cursed Prophecy fulfill itself, and have none to blame but ourselves.

And quit kicking dead horses, you never rode in your life...
I have, before you ask.
Like those a holes with their hook line sinker quotes, probably never fished.

Cultural appropriation at it's worst, in the hands of suburban idiots...

Oh here's a link btw, so you can better understand why statues shouldnt be destroyed

abstractstone.com...

Consider your statement formally rebuked. Checkmate.(yes I play)

edit on 15-8-2017 by Catscratch because: Correctio

edit on 15-8-2017 by Catscratch because: Edumacation for the Psuedo Intellectuals who never rode a horse.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

It's more about the pride it gives current racists, to see a glorious depiction of a previous racist.

It's empowering.

So if you remove a statue, the racism goes away?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

So because racist statues are removed, there isn't a story.

Gotcha.

Just wanted to see if your train of logic was as bad as I thought initially.

Can you please provide proof of inanimate objects pushing a racist agenda?

I don't know if you've realized by now, but just calling something racists doesn't make it so. Here on ATS anyway....yet.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Then anyone everyone who values history really needs to get ahead of this. If were going through history censoring slavery/racism/nationalism/starvation and all the other things propelled us to where we are today, we are only going to repeat it .

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Has anyone pointed out to the babies in here crying about this "racist" statue that it was commemorating Confederate soldiers, the vast majority of whom were poor, owned no slaves, and fought for a variety of reasons? I know I'm a racist for pointing out this historical FACT but just throwing it out there.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It's empowering.

Yes, it's remained all this time only to provide racists with glory. .... ...........

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Catscratch

I'm from Colorado, you all have natural talent for just inserting details into my life to better suit the target of your audience and being completely wrong about them. So gross the intellect that goes into conversations here, you all just assume you're talking to this guy:

I've straight worked on a ranch and farm, while you babble about how I'm some culturally appropriated urban idiot and have never rode a horse to make your 'ultimate point' based on pure ethos anyway, I should point out it's incorrect and I've rode many horses, and even ponies when I was young.

What's most irritating is people like you argue with me, and try to constantly paint my opinion as some 'libertard' when even the smallest amount of practical criticism is applied towards conservative attitude, when I'm a conservative myself, even voted for Trump, it's pathetic the degree of resistance that is reacted to. You should fit right in around here with condescending comments about perception that is totally inaccurate, so no real beef from me though.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

It's empowering.

Yes, it's remained all this time only to provide racists with glory. .... ...........

...no? You think everything is a duality? Like, it's not x reason, so MUST be y reason?

It was unnoticed. Now it's relevant, so people act.

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join