It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I would confuse the Mona Lisa for a jellyfish sting.

Then again, here are many here that remind me of jellyfish stings.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just a little observation here but you don't 'have' to pee on everything DB.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Just a little observation here but you don't 'have' to pee on everything DB.

Yes.

Yes I do.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoDumb

Way less likely to be destroyed.

Why would it be way less likely to be destroyed in a museum?

Isis fighters destroy ancient artefacts at Mosul museum

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Irishhaf

To be fair I could care less. I think if a community wants to remove a Confederate statue they should be allowed to make that decision. Without having to deal with an out of town contingent of Nazis protesting their decision.

I just find it hypocritic that all these people arguing against removal of these statues use phrases like "sanitizing history." And yet it seems to me these statues are doing the exact same thing. They glorify the CSA without addressing the grey and dark issues associated with that rogue nation.

If I read it correctly (I may be wrong, hiked about 10 miles yesterday and for some reason snapped awake after just a few hours sleep) the statue that was torn down was dedicated to the soldiers that died, not any rebel specifically. So I guess I do not see how that glorified the south.

Since like in most wars, its the regular folks that do the bulk of the getting dead, I can see say Lee, Jackson, Davis statues being seen as glorifying. (I still disagree with that assumption, but I can see it)
edit on 15-8-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

The irony being my argument would have prevented pigeons dumping on the statue. And they did.

The point of a museum is preservation. It's less about subject.

it's the perfect idea to dump all this junk at politically, it would generate money and actually be cool to daunt at rather than experiencing a bunch of racist landmarks all spread out as a constant reminder of the past.

Not to mention a museum screams 'teach history' while so far the closest argument I've found so far that this by itself was informative at all is: ????????

It was a faceless solider. There isn't much substance other than 'confederate' to support.

A piece of art was lost. If it was as simple as to destroy the history of the confederate with the removal of that statue however, it would be with a missile it was hit.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Way less likely to be destroyed.

Why would it be way less likely to be destroyed in a museum?

Isis fighters destroy ancient artefacts at Mosul museum

www.theguardian.com...

Because in ISIS' case there was no one there to defend the artifacts.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SoDumb

So it was a pointless futile angry gesture with overtones of censorship and a touch of authoritarian dictates.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So it was a pointless futile angry gesture with overtones of censorship and a touch of authoritarian dictates.

It was definitely pointless, the piece itself is cool.

But to call it censorship is reaching from your original conclusion it was a futile gesture.

It was destruction of property, calling it censorship is trying to be extra intelligent to add extra charges cause your 'team' goals. The motive of destructive was rebellious feelings against perceived authoritarians itself, so you can't just tac that on so easily. Sorry I'm the nerd voting museum, and not C4 it, but that's just what is practical for controversial objects.
edit on 15-8-2017 by SoDumb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Uh, I can call them anything I damn well please.

If a bunch of mental midgets want to deny everyone else the right to view what they want where they want and when they want then they are nothing more than brown shirt thugs who worship authoritarian rule and enjoy censorship.

You want to give these inbred mouth breathers a pass, then that's on you.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Fort Bragg is named after a Confederate general. Just throwing that out there.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Uh, I can call them anything I damn well please.

If a bunch of mental midgets want to deny everyone else the right to view what they want where they want and when they want then they are nothing more than brown shirt thugs who worship authoritarian rule and enjoy censorship.

You want to give these inbred mouth breathers a pass, then that's on you.

???? It's closer by definition to terrorism than censorship.

But close with definitions isn't like hand grenades.

It's destruction of property. You can be a divisionist and call it more than that.

There is a photo of it on the internet, and very detailed material. if you're going to cry about censorship, when you probably don't even live remotely close to the statue, I'm in bewilderment. If you do live close to it, my argument about the museum seems even more practical no? You're just the counter-agenda, for something that isn't actually even an agenda. Wouldn't blowing them all up on the same day be more practical? I'm just confused as to how this ONE STATUE is censorship to you, personally.

I'm calling you out as gas. Not as (completely)incorrect.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: kruphix

I'll justify destroying symbols of hate all day long...should have been done long ago.

Does that include books? Paintings?

If they are displayed in a public space as a celebration of a history of hate and local officials are unwilling to remove such symbols...yes...100%.

These things have their place...libraries and museums...not on display on public land.

Last time I checked, libraries and museums were public land, too.

Clearly, you want censorship, so OWN it.

They don't want it displayed on public land so they offer to place it on display. . . . on public land.

They just don't have the courage to say they want to censor.

Yahtzee!!

I have to say, it's nice to see even some people I'd consider on the Left condemning this behavior. Stars for all of those!!

Those condoning it, however, aren't being completely honest.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I've said it before and I will say it again.

"We must preserve our history, good or bad. Destruction of history is the trail head to our own destruction."

How long until someone decides to destroy some aspect of YOUR own history because it offends them?

What next, books about the Civil War should be removed from the library, or burned because they offend someone?

SMH

People,
, think, before acting out your anger in this manner.

It's 2017, these offensive statues of racism should have been torn down a very long time ago.It's extremely sad that no statues of positive Americans were built.It seems like your history lacks a positive role model for your people and that's something that you 70s on down generation just can't understand.I don't blame you, I blame all the hateful people from the 40s and 50s that deeply embedded its venom inside you to a point of no return.Good luck with your thinking when it comes time for judgment day because you are really missing the universal point of time and history of whats really going on...and I feel really sad and sorry for you.

Thats nice.. Wife just got back from work. She works 2nd at Duke University Hospital, DURHAM, NC.

Got home a couple of minutes ago, was nice to hear the subject was bought up amoungst her co workers for a few minutes this evening , water cooler talk..

Was glad to hear none of her educated African American coworkers agreed with what happened in Durham today.

I feel really sad and sorry for you

I feel bad for you 90's down generation. Most dont know what its like to take personal responsibility, to get your ass lovingly spanked by your parents when you properly deserved it.

Everyone wasn't a victim or a soft little snowflake.

You could drive to school with a gun rack and shot gun in the back of your truck and no one batted a eye or were scared they would get shot.

Lots of shows on TV had moral lessons and it wasnt about who could sex who and back stabbing reality TV drama.

When people were called racists its because they wore white hoods and burned crosses NOT because they disagreed with your politics.
The word RACIST meant something .

Men and people in general were made of sterner stuff.

Its you I feel sorry for.

edit on 15-8-2017 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

DB is correct. If the vandals are claiming that the statue was destroyed because it conveyed an objectionable message than the act of destruction is by it's very definition censorship.

Has nothing to do with team goals. It's simply calling a spade a spade.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I hope you're talking about me. If I quote myself not condoning it, will you star each post I quote from that specifies this, as I explain why it happened, and then am falsly victimized as supporting it by all members, and I'm hoping(you sarcastically also).

I'm done. I'm literally saying a museum would be the best options, and you're all trolling me saying I'm in favor of the destruction. Enjoy the next destroyed statue as you alienate everyone, even those who would have appreciated the preservation of the actual history and not deluded south will rise again memes that's reminiscent of a 3rd Reich.

I'll just post the target video again, as this is all you see when you've been all chain-responding to me:

Meanwhile, I'm like gee, what's the first way we can prevent history from repeating itself? A museum? As you all biotch about preservation of 'written' history blah blah I'm only one working on problem. I'm talking to bricks. later.

edit on 15-8-2017 by SoDumb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I hope you're talking about me. If I quote myself not condoning it, will you star each post I quote from that specifies this, as I explain why it happened, and then am falsly victimized as supporting it by all members, and I'm hoping(you sarcastically also).

I'm done. I'm literally saying a museum would be the best options, and you're all trolling me saying I'm in favor of the destruction. Enjoy the next destroyed statue as you alienate everyone, even those who would have appreciated the preservation of the actual history and not deluded south will rise again memes that's reminiscent of a 3rd Reich.

I'll just post the target video again, as this is all you see when you've been all chain-responding to me:

No, I wasn't. As far as a museum is concerned, that is the same thing as bargaining with terrorists. They make demands and destroy things, so we cave in and hide away statues in museums? I don't think so! I don't cave to terrorists, and that's what these people are.

Plus, speaking out about preserving history and heritage does NOT make one a racist, or a Nazi, etc.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I did not say you were claiming destruction (nor did you respond to me). However, you are for censorship, which you somehow believe to be better. You don't GAF is the sentiment I gather. Fine, good.

This started as a flag. It was sort of a big deal but was gone through legal channels to be removed from government grounds and when that happened there was a warning. "It won't stop with a flag."

Last weekend and yesterday, we saw that warning realized. Now, myself and some others (also ironically the POTUS) are asking, what's next? Where does this end?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I LITERALLY compared them to terrorists, and you say my idea makes me a terrorist.

Okay. I'm worse than who destroyed the statue. You win.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well color me surprised LMAO! HAHHA!! Arrests are actually being made. BWHAHHAHAHHA

www.theatlantic.com...
edit on 15-8-2017 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join