It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The empowerment takes a hit. Sorry if you disagree.
edit on 15-8-2017 by SoDumb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoDumb

The empowerment takes a hit. Sorry if you disagree.

Well, you have to justify censorship somehow.

*shrugs*

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

It's more about the pride it gives current racists, to see a glorious depiction of a previous racist.

It's empowering.

How is a Swastika racist? It's not even tangible, just a symbol? Same reason.

Yes, it's remained all this time only to provide racists with glory. .... ...........

...no? You think everything is a duality? Like, it's not x reason, so MUST be y reason?

It was unnoticed. Now it's relevant, so people act.

Everything duality? No. Balance? Yes. Also, everything does not =Z

As in because General Lee fought for the South in the civil war, he was only a racist ever.

It was unnoticed. Now it's relevant, so people act.

Not you, nor the people who tore down the statue get to decided for everyone else (unlawfully btw) what anyone/everyone else can or can not see.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SoDumb

So the statue mean only what you say it means, eh?

Continue on then, with your cleansing of history. 1984 wasn't intended to be a how-to manual.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

-shrug-

Again, I'm not for it's removal. Just against the idea removing it means anything in reality.

A museum is where things that a culturally inappropriate belong if they have historical significance. Not public space.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

-shrug-

Again, I'm not for it's removal. Just against the idea removing it means anything in reality.

A museum is where things that a culturally inappropriate belong if they have historical significance. Not public space.

A museum is a public space.

try again.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Yes, it's remained all this time only to provide racists with glory. .... ...........

Wow. I see a lot of people here skipped history. Can't wait for the book burnings in the name of "racial sensitivity".

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You people know more about what I'm saying than me.

"So the statue means only what you say it means"

yes, that's exactly what I've said, and that terrible strawman is an acceptable pivot point for your argument against mine.

my point is the statue doesn't matter. history is history. Your theory anything was lost is projection.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

a museum is public space designated for that kind of stuff, not just any public space.

Or are we really going to hash what a museum vs public space means?

Do you think anything in a museum is allowed in public space? Let's start with the Atomic bomb museum.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

a museum is public space designated for that kind of stuff, not just any public space.

Or are we really going to hash what a museum vs public space means?

I'm not for taking it down.

That's censorship.

Basically, a group telling another group what they can see and where they can see it.

Then again, I'm for freedoms. So that's on me.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Exactly. There's a reason that the saying "Those who ignore history, are doomed to repeat it." rings so true, it's because it is.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Well that's the issue, is that the heart of it for some is it being 'up or down', and for others it's 'existing'.

For some, a museum means squat compared to center stage display of power.

To me, I'd rather it exist, and if it's actually offensive(Like people ACTUALLY complained about it), then I'd rather have it in a museum than destroyed. At what cost is freedom? The tally is currently 1 statue that could have survived.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SoDumb

Control of knowledge is what you're after, and those like you.

This thing, what ever it is, means only what you say it does. You ignore, as inconsequential, any opinion that differs from your narrative.

Deny that as you wish, but you're lying, not only to me, but to yourself, as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I almost said it, then gave up. What's the point? It's the simplest way to frame it and extrapolate from it the idea that history does not have to mean heritage nor fate.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

To me, I'd rather it exist, and if it's actually offensive(Like people ACTUALLY complained about it), then I'd rather have it in a museum than destroyed. At what cost is freedom? The tally is currently 1 statue.

Why would the statue be any safer in the museum?
If a bunch of people are dead set on destroying it...they can all buy tickets to the museum.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

How about statues of Washington, Jefferson, and Adams? They are just effigies of traitorous seditionists.

We should definitely start taking down American flags. They are just "glorifying a traitorous rogue nation" right.
edit on 15-8-2017 by RespectfullyDisagree because: My punctuation is terrible

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Way less likely to be destroyed.

If so many people like the Mona Lisa, why don't we just put it in a park on a bench?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Way less likely to be destroyed.

If so many people like the Mona Lisa, why don't we just put it in a park on a bench?

Pigeons would dump on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Put elastic wrap around it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I've said it before and I will say it again.

"We must preserve our history, good or bad. Destruction of history is the trail head to our own destruction."

How long until someone decides to destroy some aspect of YOUR own history because it offends them?

What next, books about the Civil War should be removed from the library, or burned because they offend someone?

SMH

People,
, think, before acting out your anger in this manner.

It's 2017, these offensive statues of racism should have been torn down a very long time ago.It's extremely sad that no statues of positive Americans were built.It seems like your history lacks a positive role model for your people and that's something that you 70s on down generation just can't understand.I don't blame you, I blame all the hateful people from the 40s and 50s that deeply embedded its venom inside you to a point of no return.Good luck with your thinking when it comes time for judgment day because you are really missing the universal point of time and history of whats really going on...and I feel really sad and sorry for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join