It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: kruphix

I think moving them to museums is the correct answer.

As to what do we learn from history? What not to do of course.

Purging history is generally something done in countries like NK to control the narrative and by doing that the people. It's not something any society of free people should want.

Having the statues moved to museums is something I'd imagine most people would be willing to get behind, but no rational person is going to condone violence or destruction of property as the way to do it. With a little civics education and using the system instead of fighting it, things like this can be done by consensus and peacefully.

Blaine?

With all due respect, they'd just shut down the museums.

You sure?
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Yeah. This should be an issue in these cities. Not literacy. Not the homeless. Not the single parent kids. Not crime. Not better housing. Not better healthcare. Not building infrastructure.

So, if all the statues are removed...do you really think it will change the mind of ONE person? Nope. What you are doing is empowering those who 'worship' these statues and fanning the flames of hate to create a battle that sorry you could never hope to win.

If you think a bunch of man bun skinny jean wearing black masked cowards wearing rainbow shirts is going to stop what you are starting and promoting you are deluded.

Besides, this is just getting so much coverage because suddenly Russia is not in the news....amazing no?

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Purging history is generally something done in countries like NK to control the narrative and by doing that the people. It's not something any society of free people should want.

Having the statues moved to museums is something I'd imagine most people would be willing to get behind, but no rational person is going to condone violence or destruction of property as the way to do it. With a little civics education and using the system instead of fighting it, things like this can be done by consensus and peacefully.

Blaine?

With all due respect, they'd just shut down the museums.

You sure?
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Give them a chance.

Seeing how there is apparently no consequence for removing statues in public, perhaps they will come for these ones next.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Irrational people will always do wrong, no matter where they reside and on that I agree.

I do think a good compromise with rational people would be to preserve the statues and artists work by placing them in museums. That is a very rational compromise IMO.

I don't see it as one side and only one side needs to win. Both sides need to give a little.

link   

The statue in Charlottesville was supposed to be removed to a museum..and Unite The Right went out to protest it...and they are being defended right here on ATS. All over the country lawsuits are trying to get statues REMOVED...and they are being meet with resistance.

You can only tell the people no for so long before they act on their own. It's not like the South hasn't had plenty of time to move these statues to their proper place.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Glad someone else sees where this is going....

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Then do not visit it. Walk on. Your hate is incredible. You think you have the right to tell others what they can and cannot see?

No, sorry...I won't stay silent as symbols of hatred are allowed to stand in my country.

Like it or not, the tide in this country is turning.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: Abysha

Tearing down statues is a long tradition of symbolizing victory.

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

Like I said, it's about picking your battles.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Apparently, we should only have statues and monuments to "good" history...and then, only good history that nobody finds offensive.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

The history? Thats debatable.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

We are learning that local governments better start listening to the people and taking down these relics of hate, or it seems they will be taken down for them.

The history of the Civil War isn't going anywhere...these statues don't do anything to preserve that history or teach anyone anything about that history. They are there as symbols of hate...as symbols of Southerners thinking that "the south will rise again". They haven't had any place in this country for a long time...it's just that now people who will no longer tolerate symbols of hate are outnumbering the old racist bigots that are trying to keep those symbols in place.

I've always said that time is the best weapon against outdated racist thinking...old people die off and take their backwards thinking with them. Each generation less and less of that hate is passed down...it just seems like maybe we are at a tipping point where the people are finally saying "enough is enough".

Seeing that statue come down is a great sign.

Yes we get it. You are all for violence and intimidation.

Officials better start listening to the will of the mob; or else.

And I am glad you hate old people so much.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of younger people like you filled with hate and ready to silence any who disagree with them by force to keep the hate train running strong.

I didn't see any violence in that video....LOL...violence against a Statue?????

Opposition to hate isn't hate...I know you guys try to make that twist all the time...but only you believe it.

link   

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

We are learning that local governments better start listening to the people and taking down these relics of hate, or it seems they will be taken down for them.

The history of the Civil War isn't going anywhere...these statues don't do anything to preserve that history or teach anyone anything about that history. They are there as symbols of hate...as symbols of Southerners thinking that "the south will rise again". They haven't had any place in this country for a long time...it's just that now people who will no longer tolerate symbols of hate are outnumbering the old racist bigots that are trying to keep those symbols in place.

I've always said that time is the best weapon against outdated racist thinking...old people die off and take their backwards thinking with them. Each generation less and less of that hate is passed down...it just seems like maybe we are at a tipping point where the people are finally saying "enough is enough".

There are more racists around now, black and white, than were around back in the Civil War era.
If anything, it's getting worse.

+2 more 
link   

Then do not visit it. Walk on. Your hate is incredible. You think you have the right to tell others what they can and cannot see?

No, sorry...I won't stay silent as symbols of hatred are allowed to stand in my country.

Like it or not, the tide in this country is turning.

Thats what you said before the election too.

And you are right. You identity politic pushing dividers are being outed as the authoritarians that you are.

link   

Turning straight down the toilet.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Gainesville www.clickorlando.com...

Atlanta www.ajc.com...

Kentucky www.nytimes.com...

Baltimore baltimore.cbslocal.com...

So these statues have been here in some cases for decades.

Good, hopefully more will follow all across the nation.

And if not...I bet you will see a lot more pulled down by the people.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Yes we get it. You are all for violence and intimidation.

Officials better start listening to the will of the mob; or else.

And I am glad you hate old people so much.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of younger people like you filled with hate and ready to silence any who disagree with them by force to keep the hate train running strong.

I didn't see any violence in that video....LOL...violence against a Statue?????

Opposition to hate isn't hate...I know you guys try to make that twist all the time...but only you believe it.

Claiming to have the authority to silence hate through mob rule, and then defining hate however you want is authoritarian.

You are no different than the fascists you claim to fight.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

With Confederate flags gone, Civil War museum will close

www.ajc.com...

link   

I don't they should even be moved to a museum.

They should stay where they are.

In public view.

I don't like looking at butt ugly people. Should we put them in museums or out of sight in one place and charge admission?

The people who pulled that statue down should be arrested, where do they think they are?! Iraq?!

link   

If they don't follow your belief? Mob rule right?

I hope someday you'll be able to see that these are fascist tactics.

link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

....Not to mention the artistic endeavor that went into the making of it. It's sickening how people are so shallow and one-layered that they can't see the totality of something.

One can appreciate the art, the historical content, the cultural history of an area like Durham, by observing these works of art. That doesn't mean they are racist or want "the south to rise again" like somebody said.

These things were of historical value, created 100 years or more ago during a particular era. We have all grown enough to be able to see them in a new and different light without destroying the artifact.

The men that fought for the south and who were memorialized were not Hitlers. They were honorable men.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

And when threats are met with violence, not from the government, but from the people who wan to honor their heritage, like the others do, what then?

Why not take down all statues so no one will be offended?

Of what? The death of more Americans who should be united? Swift feet that runs toward trouble is not wise.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join