It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
History is being re-written. Remember this well.

Nah, that's just that pesky Mandela effect again.

link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Abysha

Perfect time for both sides to denounce the extremists and pull to the middle. Not likely we will see any of this through any media channel however.

Hey, I'll denounce anarchists all day long if folks stop defending white nationalism.

Anarchists are a symptom. They are a bacteria responding to a toxic, invasive virus. They are a natural side-effect and are an overall necessary part of the solution. But like I keep saying... they need to pick their battles.

link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Sadly, nobody's going to do a damn thing since nobody wants to be called racist for stopping them. Hell, I bet if a bunch of these people started to destroy Monticello due to it's connection to a glorified slave owner, the media would be cheering them on (and some people in here too)

This is stupid behavior being conducted by stupid people, and getting encourage by others that seem (as paranoid as it may sound) seem to have a hidden agenda. I mean why else destroy historical items?

If all these people really wanted to change things that they see as un-American, they would be better off learning about what happened in the past, and try to prevent it from ever happening in the future. Instead this weird form of violent uncivil disobedience is only creating an environment where the past event that they find offensive are being forced to happen today.
edit on 14-8-2017 by Guyfriday because: Blah Blah Blah

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: IAMTAT
I've seen more condemnation over the destruction of this statue and concern over its fate from many right-wing posters on this site than I have seen concern over the death and maiming of human beings or condemnation of the neo-Nazi terrorist that plowed over those people with his car.

Yeah.. Isn't that interesting..

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: kruphix

Tide is turning. Sorry but not one person in that video puts any fear into me. I am sure when it was over they all went to Starbucks, updated Instagram and went home for hot pockets at mommys house.

Those people you think you scaring. Well, they are simply waiting so that if and when the time does come there will be no threat but action against those who threaten them and not a statue. I am talking about people from all races, religions and backgrounds. The tide is in and you will be drowning soon in your own rhetoric.

You are the only one talking about violence and your fantasy 2nd Civil War.

The tide is turning on racists thinking.

And yet those statues stood throughout the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and most of the twenty recent years since. To those who think outside of black and white, they were meaningless in a racial regard.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
And heeerrree she is:

Police chief of Durham NC who let this vandalism take place eyes wide open:

Cerelyn "C. J." Davis
durhamnc.gov...

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

If these "people" start defacing or destroying memorials dedicated to our brave soldiers (like at Arlington Cemetery), I hope they're given life sentences.

You just know that the attention they've received today, and lack of punishment (thus far), will embolden them to be more like ISIS than they already are!

link   
"L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés ou désirs"

- Saint Bernard, 1150 AD

Translation: "Hell is full of good wishes or desires"

More commonly now said as:

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions"

link   
This is the justification for how book burning starts.

Self-righteous fascists.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Statement from the Durham Police Department Regarding Protest at County Courthouse Durham Police Department (DPD) officers monitored the protests that occurred in the city tonight to ensure the protests were conducted in a safe manner and that no infractions occurred within city jurisdiction. The DPD is aware that a Confederate monument was toppled at the old Durham County courthouse. Because this incident occurred on county property, where county law enforcement officials were staffed, no arrests were made by DPD officers. The Durham County Sheriff’s Office is the agency that has jurisdiction over all county buildings and landmarks. When monitoring such incidents the Sheriff’s Office is the decision-making agency regarding law enforcement response on matters concerning county property. Facebook

There you have it. Mob rule.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: kruphix

Wrong. This is democracy which is a messy thing at times.

You want to force what you want on others and that will always backfire. I'm talking about using the system, working towards legislation and coming to a workable compromise. You know, doing it the right way.

A bunch of violent, must have it my way brats will never do anything but cause problems, because they are part of the problem. To be honest most people from either side do not support them. Very few people would give them the time of day, miserable little brats that they are.

And you don't think people have been trying to use the system in "the right way" to get these removed....they've been trying for decades.

At some point, the people will rise up and take matters into their own hands...sound familiar...kind of like our founders???

Why did those "must have it my way brats" destroy all that Tea in Boston? Why did all those brats tear down a HUGE statue of King George III in New York City?

You can continue to defend racism and it's symbols of hate...but like I told someone else, you are on the wrong side of history on this one.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
And here is the mayor of Durham, William "Bill" Bell:
durhamnc.gov...

There you have it folks. The mayor and the police chief let this happen. I haven't heard of a single arrest.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
And heeerrree she is:

Police chief of Durham NC who let this vandalism take place eyes wide open:

Cerelyn "C. J." Davis
durhamnc.gov...

Cerelyn will soon be unemployed. Can't wait to hear what the Durham mayor, NC governor, Prez Trump have to say about this disgusting display of anarchy.

link   
If this nonsense is allowed to happen, what's to stop the English from coming and destroying monuments to the founding fathers of the USA? What's to stop Native Americans from destroying statues to Andrew Jackson? Or the General Custer's put put place down the street from me? Can the English destroy statues to the IRA in Northern Ireland? Or the Irish destroy statues to Oliver Cromwell?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Matthew 7:12English Standard Version (ESV) 12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

That is why I do nothing to harm other people, but they have to make up their own mind if they will follow the same belief, which both of these hate groups are not doing.

so, why are people offended because you are a christian??? especially in this "christian nation"?

I really don't know, but they like to call you all sorts of names if the subject comes up.

we have to many who are unwilling to compromise, have this it's my way or the highway attitude and view everyone who doesn't believe like them as their enemy... it's kind of hard to actually have a productive conversation in those circumstances.

There is only one way for the Christian, that is Christ, and it is an individual contract.

and if those outsider from the hate groups of both sides had left the little city alone, I bet that the residents could have handled the situation just fine, through conversation not violence!!

Yes. I agree. I would also point out that they would not have had their voices and frustrations heard either. You know who is dividing us.

link   
Y'know, every original colony had slaves at one point... and many of the later states. We should burn them to ash.

Y'know, there are a lot of plantations in the South that are historic monuments, but they had slaves. Burn them.

Y'know... Washington and Jefferson had slaves. Let's go destroy their monuments.

Y'know, the White House was partially built by slave labor. Burn it.

Where does it end, folks?

link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I keep getting flashes of ISIS destroying all of those ancient historic monuments.

Was thinking the same thing...don't like something rip it down, don't like what one wants to talk about riot to stop it... Lots of these people are kiddies flexing their muscles still thinking the bad old world is like college...lol Boy do they have a surprise coming...

link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Abysha

a reply to: Abysha

Tearing down statues is a long tradition of symbolizing victory.

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

Like I said, it's about picking your battles.

It's tearing down a symbol...it's the same thing.

If you don't support one, you can't support the other. You can't say the Sons of Liberty were justified but these protesters aren't. That is just illogical.

The sons of liberty were starting a revolution against the leaders of the country.

Is that what you are suggesting these folks are doing that you are celebrating?

They are taking matters into their own hands when the government has failed them for decades.

People are standing up for what is right...again, you don't like it because you are on the wrong side of it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: JacKatMtn

....Not to mention the artistic endeavor that went into the making of it. It's sickening how people are so shallow and one-layered that they can't see the totality of something.

One can appreciate the art, the historical content, the cultural history of an area like Durham, by observing these works of art. That doesn't mean they are racist or want "the south to rise again" like somebody said.

These things were of historical value, created 100 years or more ago during a particular era. We have all grown enough to be able to see them in a new and different light without destroying the artifact.

The men that fought for the south and who were memorialized were not Hitlers. They were honorable men.

ME? Not really concerned about the artwork or craftsmanship, on that aspect I differ...

What worries me is the potential of wiping history from the books, by an intolerant group of people, who can't take the time to learn and understand history, and see how far we have come from those days of Civil war...

It's a wonderful history.. learning, growing, as a nation... from PAST MISTAKES......

Instead of growing... the current climate is to REGRESS into the past... and have not just a small minority of folks HATING on each other.... they want the clocks turned back to the 1860's....

The saddest part, is that those folks agenda is gaining ground...

WE ARE AMERICA.... WE are not PERFECT.... but... we are a helluva lot better off than the 1860 atmosphere.....

WHY and WHO wants to BRING THAT BACK...?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: IAMTAT
I've seen more condemnation over the destruction of this statue and concern over its fate from many right-wing posters on this site than I have seen concern over the death and maiming of human beings or condemnation of the neo-Nazi terrorist that plowed over those people with his car.

Yeah.. Isn't that interesting..

I don't think its true that people were unwilling to condemn the guy for killing that womaan.

I know I did.

I admit I wasn't on this weekend, and I didn't go through the big thread.

But I didn't see one person celebrate that guys actions.

I saw three things.

First, people questioning rather or not that guy ran over people intentionally.

Second, people defending the nazis or white nationaalists or whatver you call them's right to speak.

Third, people saying the left engaged in or started the violence.

None of those three is condoning or refusing to condemn nazis.

Now admittedly perhaps I missed posts where this was happening, and I would be happy to call out anyone who spreads nazi garbage.

And let me also make it clear that I do not feel that the removal of this statue is anywhere near the tragedy that those people ran over and the woman that lost her life were.

But I am watching several people on hear cheer on mob rule, and I didn't see that with people cheering nazis on.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join