It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
The statue in Charlottesville was supposed to be removed to a museum..and Unite The Right went out to protest it...and they are being defended right here on ATS.

Yes, and how do they all look to the rest of the world now? Like total loser assholes. The Nazis and their apologists. They only look that way to the rest of the world because they are behaving that way and not picking their battles (it's not like they were Nazi-ing against a gun grab or anything).

In that same fashion, how to you think these anarchists make us look?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: kruphix

Yeah. This should be an issue in these cities. Not literacy. Not the homeless. Not the single parent kids. Not crime. Not better housing. Not better healthcare. Not building infrastructure.

So, if all the statues are removed...do you really think it will change the mind of ONE person? Nope. What you are doing is empowering those who 'worship' these statues and fanning the flames of hate to create a battle that sorry you could never hope to win.

If you think a bunch of man bun skinny jean wearing black masked cowards wearing rainbow shirts is going to stop what you are starting and promoting you are deluded.

Besides, this is just getting so much coverage because suddenly Russia is not in the news....amazing no?

LOL...what?

These relics of confederacy will all be gone within 5 years...10 years tops. They will be put in museums with the proper context and history of their hate.

You seem to be fantasizing about another Civil War...that is hilarious.

The old guard dies off...that's how history works.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Tide is turning. Sorry but not one person in that video puts any fear into me. I am sure when it was over they all went to Starbucks, updated Instagram and went home for hot pockets at mommys house.

Those people you think you scaring. Well, they are simply waiting so that if and when the time does come there will be no threat but action against those who threaten them and not a statue. I am talking about people from all races, religions and backgrounds. The tide is in and you will be drowning soon in your own rhetoric.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Wrong. This is democracy which is a messy thing at times.

You want to force what you want on others and that will always backfire. I'm talking about using the system, working towards legislation and coming to a workable compromise. You know, doing it the right way.

A bunch of violent, must have it my way brats will never do anything but cause problems, because they are part of the problem. To be honest most people from either side do not support them. Very few people would give them the time of day, miserable little brats that they are.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I wonder if the city will now put up a statue to the brave patriots who just tore down the statue.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

a reply to: Abysha

Tearing down statues is a long tradition of symbolizing victory.

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

Like I said, it's about picking your battles.

It's tearing down a symbol...it's the same thing.

If you don't support one, you can't support the other. You can't say the Sons of Liberty were justified but these protesters aren't. That is just illogical.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: aethertek
Well it wont need to be melted, crumpled on impact, too bad so sad.

& in other good news Texas A&M canceled Dick spencer & his nazi hatefest.
Then just for giggles the hotels in Washington wouldn't rent him a room so he had to do his song & dance at his crappy apt.
Still laughing about that LOL.

Name them & shame them, drive them back into what ever stinking hole they crawled out of.

K~

Holy #.. what a sad sad video with some sad sad individuals. I'm going to assume you had your hands up in celebration watching this and probably imagined yourself kicking the statue too.

I know I Did!

This video got my adrenalin pumping!

They all need to be torn down! Immediately!

The Confederacy was a rebellion.. a terrorist organization that took the lives of union soldiers, and supported the enslavement of citizens.

They shouldn't exist outside of museums in the first place.

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.

Yeah Auschwitz is not considered as a constant reminder of our dark past nope not at all. Wow people are getting truly dumber by the minute.

Sorry.. I'm misunderstanding your retort.

I was saying Germany doesn't have any monuments of Hitler.. because.. yeah.. Germany is sane.

I'm saying that these things should be kept in museums here in the US... and should not be up in public for adoration.

The difference is.. in Germany.. Auschwitz brings shame, and reminds the citizens of Germany and the world of the atrocities of war.

Whereas here in the US.. these statues are state sanctioned monuments built in adoration of confederate leaders.

Totally different.

The Confederacy was a terrorist organization

What history book did you get that from?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
I wonder if the city will now put up a statue to the brave patriots who just tore down the statue.

There's not enough feces for suitable material.

link   

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

If you don't support one, you can't support the other. You can't say the Sons of Liberty were justified but these protesters aren't. That is just illogical.

The sons of liberty were starting a revolution against the leaders of the country.

Is that what you are suggesting these folks are doing that you are celebrating?

link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Matthew 7:12English Standard Version (ESV)

12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

so, why are people offended because you are a christian??? especially in this "christian nation"?

we have to many who are unwilling to compromise, have this it's my way or the highway attitude and view everyone who doesn't believe like them as their enemy... it's kind of hard to actually have a productive conversation in those circumstances.

I wonder how many from both hate groups came from out of town. That is how all these problems seem to be handled by these groups. They travel to cause trouble, or stand for what they believe.

and if those outsider from the hate groups of both sides had left the little city alone, I bet that the residents could have handled the situation just fine, through conversation not violence!!

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: aethertek
Well it wont need to be melted, crumpled on impact, too bad so sad.

& in other good news Texas A&M canceled Dick spencer & his nazi hatefest.
Then just for giggles the hotels in Washington wouldn't rent him a room so he had to do his song & dance at his crappy apt.
Still laughing about that LOL.

Name them & shame them, drive them back into what ever stinking hole they crawled out of.

K~

Holy #.. what a sad sad video with some sad sad individuals. I'm going to assume you had your hands up in celebration watching this and probably imagined yourself kicking the statue too.

I know I Did!

This video got my adrenalin pumping!

They all need to be torn down! Immediately!

The Confederacy was a rebellion.. a terrorist organization that took the lives of union soldiers, and supported the enslavement of citizens.

They shouldn't exist outside of museums in the first place.

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.

Yeah Auschwitz is not considered as a constant reminder of our dark past nope not at all. Wow people are getting truly dumber by the minute.

Sorry.. I'm misunderstanding your retort.

I was saying Germany doesn't have any monuments of Hitler.. because.. yeah.. Germany is sane.

I'm saying that these things should be kept in museums here in the US... and should not be up in public for adoration.

The difference is.. in Germany.. Auschwitz brings shame, and reminds the citizens of Germany and the world of the atrocities of war.

Whereas here in the US.. these statues are state sanctioned monuments built in adoration of confederate leaders.

Totally different.

The Confederacy was a terrorist organization

Yeah # shame. I'm tired of bowing down because of some # that happened 80 years ago. I wasn't even born then and the first thing you get to hear in history class is we're the bad guys always and forever. Well what about Mao and Stalin then? Yeah that's not relevant. # this bull#. Remember i warned you that things ike destroying statues shouldn't be allowed to go on unchecked. I spotted the real Nazis a long time ago. Next on the list is LGBT pushing the envelope when they announce that pedophelia is now considered as a normal sexual act. They will never stop. They will find other offensive things and since they were allowed to tear down statues there is nothing people can do to stop them. I think you and all the others are still not aware how dangerous this is.

Daesh is going to have a field day on this one because these useful idiots are the perfect propaganda material.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Perfect time for both sides to denounce the extremists and pull to the middle. Not likely we will see any of this through any media channel however.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

In that 20 Commandments movie, Moses had a golden statue torn down. People were becoming too attached to the thing.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Then do not visit it. Walk on. Your hate is incredible. You think you have the right to tell others what they can and cannot see?

No, sorry...I won't stay silent as symbols of hatred are allowed to stand in my country.

Like it or not, the tide in this country is turning.

What you see as a symbol of hatred may mean something entirely different to someone else. But if it doesn't agree with YOUR self opinionated ideology it must go? What are you going to do when you run out of statues to deface, whats next?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I support the ideology of tearing down symbols of hate, in general. But the Sons of Liberty had no legal recourse.

We do.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

There's not enough feces for suitable material.

Love that. Good one! haha.

link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Blaine91555

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

The history? Thats debatable.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

We are learning that local governments better start listening to the people and taking down these relics of hate, or it seems they will be taken down for them.

The history of the Civil War isn't going anywhere...these statues don't do anything to preserve that history or teach anyone anything about that history. They are there as symbols of hate...as symbols of Southerners thinking that "the south will rise again". They haven't had any place in this country for a long time...it's just that now people who will no longer tolerate symbols of hate are outnumbering the old racist bigots that are trying to keep those symbols in place.

I've always said that time is the best weapon against outdated racist thinking...old people die off and take their backwards thinking with them. Each generation less and less of that hate is passed down...it just seems like maybe we are at a tipping point where the people are finally saying "enough is enough".

Seeing that statue come down is a great sign.

Yes we get it. You are all for violence and intimidation.

Officials better start listening to the will of the mob; or else.

And I am glad you hate old people so much.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of younger people like you filled with hate and ready to silence any who disagree with them by force to keep the hate train running strong.

I didn't see any violence in that video....LOL...violence against a Statue?????

Opposition to hate isn't hate...I know you guys try to make that twist all the time...but only you believe it.

Claiming to have the authority to silence hate through mob rule, and then defining hate however you want is authoritarian.

You are no different than the fascists you claim to fight.

Oh...so sorry to define hate as celebrating the Confederacy....my bad.
/sarcasm

Honestly...I don't care that you want to protect hate symbols...I really don't.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

a reply to: eletheia

Apparently, we should only have statues and monuments to "good" history...and then, only good history that nobody finds offensive.

Can I be on the committee that decides what "good history" is?!!

Oh please!!?? Can I huh, can I?!

I'll pay!

I'm sure there will be plenty of room for me on the committee.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
History is being re-written. Remember this well.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Tide is turning. Sorry but not one person in that video puts any fear into me. I am sure when it was over they all went to Starbucks, updated Instagram and went home for hot pockets at mommys house.

Those people you think you scaring. Well, they are simply waiting so that if and when the time does come there will be no threat but action against those who threaten them and not a statue. I am talking about people from all races, religions and backgrounds. The tide is in and you will be drowning soon in your own rhetoric.

You are the only one talking about violence and your fantasy 2nd Civil War.

The tide is turning on racists thinking.

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join