It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: kruphix

a reply to: Abysha

Tearing down statues is a long tradition of symbolizing victory.

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

Like I said, it's about picking your battles.

It's tearing down a symbol...it's the same thing.

If you don't support one, you can't support the other. You can't say the Sons of Liberty were justified but these protesters aren't. That is just illogical.

I support the ideology of tearing down symbols of hate, in general. But the Sons of Liberty had no legal recourse.

We do.

And that legal recourse has failed, been blocked, and even when it does win it is met with protests and threats of violence.

When the legal recourse fails...then the people speak.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Every single deputy on duty at that "protest" that allowed this monument to be climbed and toppled should be fired for dereliction of duty.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Time to grab some sledgehammers and head on down to the Georgia Guidestones ...

Kudos your idea, too bad they keep destroying all the wrong monuments.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Y'know, every original colony had slaves at one point... and many of the later states. We should burn them to ash.

Need to rip down anything African and Dutch since the slaves were sold to the Dutch slave traders by African tribes that had them...you know that place that didn't stop institutionalized slavery until the 1930s?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: kruphix

Wrong. This is democracy which is a messy thing at times.

You want to force what you want on others and that will always backfire. I'm talking about using the system, working towards legislation and coming to a workable compromise. You know, doing it the right way.

A bunch of violent, must have it my way brats will never do anything but cause problems, because they are part of the problem. To be honest most people from either side do not support them. Very few people would give them the time of day, miserable little brats that they are.

And you don't think people have been trying to use the system in "the right way" to get these removed....they've been trying for decades.

At some point, the people will rise up and take matters into their own hands...sound familiar...kind of like our founders???

Why did those "must have it my way brats" destroy all that Tea in Boston? Why did all those brats tear down a HUGE statue of King George III in New York City?

You can continue to defend racism and it's symbols of hate...but like I told someone else, you are on the wrong side of history on this one.

Ah there it is the wrong side of history line. Either you join us or you're against us. Boy are you in for a surprise when the time comes.

link   

Sorry.. I'm misunderstanding your retort.

I was saying Germany doesn't have any monuments of Hitler.. because.. yeah.. Germany is sane.

I'm saying that these things should be kept in museums here in the US... and should not be up in public for adoration.

The difference is.. in Germany.. Auschwitz brings shame, and reminds the citizens of Germany and the world of the atrocities of war.

Whereas here in the US.. these statues are state sanctioned monuments built in adoration of confederate leaders.

Totally different.

The Confederacy was a terrorist organization

The IGNORANCE.....Oh Lordy, it burns!!!

Ever hear of the Marshall Plan for western European nations, including Germany? Started in 1948, billions of our dollars were sent over there to rebuild. Everything was bombed into smithereens, so......with western dollars, it was rebuilt. Doubtful they would make statues of anything related to Hitler with US money. The US rolled in, created a ton of military bases, and pretty much (like Japan) let them know that it was only by our good graces that they didn't get nuked.

To compare that to the aftermath of the civil war is just incredibly ignorant, but then again, the one thing I notice from the frothing rabid leftists is a definite lack of knowledge about the past. You only know what you are fed.

Saying that Confederates were a 'terrorist organization' is equally pathetic. However, the news has been feeding you pretty well, I see. Everybody that disagrees with you is a terrorist. Words can be used to brainwash those too confused to see the truth.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
What has happened to law enforcement?

This crowd wasn't exactly tiny. They were there in front of the courthouse to do one thing: tear down this monument that belongs to the community, not these particular pissy individuals.

Maybe U.S. law enforcement has been importing its training from FRANCE.

link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Every single deputy on duty at that "protest" that allowed this monument to be climbed and toppled should be fired for dereliction of duty.

Yea, that'll happen. /sarc

Were passing some dangerous precedents. What's worse as people thinking this process is ok, and why argue? No one is enforcing the laws.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

No but a statue of a random soldier in Durham isn't a statue of King George in New York.

If you don't support one, you can't support the other. You can't say the Sons of Liberty were justified but these protesters aren't. That is just illogical.

The sons of liberty were starting a revolution against the leaders of the country.

Is that what you are suggesting these folks are doing that you are celebrating?

They are taking matters into their own hands when the government has failed them for decades.

People are standing up for what is right...again, you don't like it because you are on the wrong side of it.

Funny, that exactly what the neo nazis say!

link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

You want to force what you want on others and that will always backfire. I'm talking about using the system, working towards legislation and coming to a workable compromise. You know, doing it the right way.

A bunch of violent, must have it my way brats will never do anything but cause problems, because they are part of the problem. To be honest most people from either side do not support them. Very few people would give them the time of day, miserable little brats that they are.

And you don't think people have been trying to use the system in "the right way" to get these removed....they've been trying for decades.

At some point, the people will rise up and take matters into their own hands...sound familiar...kind of like our founders???

Why did those "must have it my way brats" destroy all that Tea in Boston? Why did all those brats tear down a HUGE statue of King George III in New York City?

You can continue to defend racism and it's symbols of hate...but like I told someone else, you are on the wrong side of history on this one.

Ah there it is the wrong side of history line. Either you join us or you're against us. Boy are you in for a surprise when the time comes.

Yes, there is a wrong side of history...always has been always will be.

link   

I support the ideology of tearing down symbols of hate, in general. But the Sons of Liberty had no legal recourse.

We do.

And that legal recourse has failed, been blocked, and even when it does win it is met with protests and threats of violence.

When the legal recourse fails...then the people speak.

The people didn't speak. Was there a referendum? No. The community didn't get to voice their opinion through a vote. The ones "speaking" were the spoiled one-layered thinking brats that took it upon themselves to decide to do this.

No. The People didn't get a chance to speak through a county referendum and vote. Who are these idiots to speak for the entire county?!

link   

originally posted by: ItsNotIronic
When the Greeks put up statues, they included all the good and evil characters.

If there's too many bad guy statues, add some good guys.

Quit trying to turn the world into a Wal-Mart parking lot.

This is awesome.

link   

originally posted by: clay2 baraka

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: IAMTAT
I've seen more condemnation over the destruction of this statue and concern over its fate from many right-wing posters on this site than I have seen concern over the death and maiming of human beings or condemnation of the neo-Nazi terrorist that plowed over those people with his car.

Yeah.. Isn't that interesting..

Not really. It's horrid that people were hurt and killed by this act of stupidity, but those people (all of them regardless of race and whatever) were there by choice. They didn't show up to protest peaceably, they showed up for a conflict. If they didn't know that they could get hurt or killed, then they're stupid for going. This isn't like in the 60's when people would go to these rallies and peaceably protest the wrongs in society. No this is clearly people wanting to be violent, to force their opinion on others, and to play the victim when called out on it.

Both sides are to blame for the deaths and injuries that occurred, and even the local government shares in that blame, but do you think anyone will say; "maybe we did take it too far?", or are they going to say; "It's the other side's fault for disagreeing with us, because we're right!"

This event and the other events that occurred over the weekend make me sick. At what point do we no longer have an "America", but instead just have an "Ameropocalypse"?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
This is the justification for how book burning starts.

Self-righteous fascists.

I can get behind that statement. Statues convey messages just like books. Yet they are contextually presented as a community's statement, if placed on a pedestal.

With a modern and free society, we take books that least represent our values and write harsh criticisms of them and teach of their ills in university. We don't burn them. I can order Mein Kampf from Amazon, if I wanted. But I'm surrounded with information about why it is unhealthy for our society and it's not nailed to a "Welcome to America" sign when you cross the border.

So I agree with the idea that most of these statues should be legally placed in museums to show what we evolved away from. Don't hide them, destroy them, or bar entrance to viewing them. But make very available what evils they represent.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

How long will it be before it's open season on any symbol the howling, unwashed mob of ignorant savages deems offensive because it exists?

Churches and synagogues better get some darn good security in place.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

The woman who was killed was not there to be violent.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The fascist punks who tore down the statue could call it, "Statue-nacht".

Then celebrate at their local beer hall.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Anyone who showed up at either protest should have known what they were risking. Both groups were looking for trouble.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

And apparently they were a minority and didn't have enough support. Apparently, enough adults in the room realize that a statue is just a statue. It takes a person and emotion (and in some cases lack of reason and maturity) for that statue to mean something.

A statue... vs. a despotic government that denied people basic rights enjoyed by people in the homeland. People being taxed by a government but not given representation. A people who were effectively slaves or servants.

Oh yeah, totally equivalent.

Because they were treated as second class citizens with no right to present their grievances or live their own lives in freedom. Again, totally equivalent. Can you sense my sarcasm? Because I have a lot of it right now.

Strawman alert! No one is defending racism or symbols of hate.

It's kind of hard to be on a side of history when history is being erased.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Anyone who showed up at either protest should have known what they were risking. Both groups were looking for trouble.

That does not justify the murder.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join