It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Then do not visit it. Walk on. Your hate is incredible. You think you have the right to tell others what they can and cannot see?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think moving them to museums is the correct answer.

As to what do we learn from history? What not to do of course.

Purging history is generally something done in countries like NK to control the narrative and by doing that the people. It's not something any society of free people should want.

Having the statues moved to museums is something I'd imagine most people would be willing to get behind, but no rational person is going to condone violence or destruction of property as the way to do it. With a little civics education and using the system instead of fighting it, things like this can be done by consensus and peacefully.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
80 years have past and it loomed over our heads for far too long. That's a reason as good as any. See i can make # up to justify anything as well.

I think making up unrelated equivocacies doesn't really help the situation.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What has happened to law enforcement?

This crowd wasn't exactly tiny. They were there in front of the courthouse to do one thing: tear down this monument that belongs to the community, not these particular pissy individuals.

Nobody arrested? Somebody needs to investigate the police chief, maybe even the mayor. This was a crime allowed to happen to appease a bunch of angry bored (probably unemployed) spoiled one-layered selfish brats that if any of them had to haul butt would have to make two trips.
edit on 14-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

we are one nation, we are all a part of that one nation. if we are a christian nation, we should be concerned when our actions offends others.. we should try real hard not to offend them.

When someone gets offended that you are a Christian, what do you do? Do you worry about offending them, or God?

the statue is the offense, but also, the removing the statue is an offense.. both sides should not want the other to be offended, so it seems to me that the side that wants the statues gone should be saying, well, since it means so much to you, I will tolerate it, and those that want it to stay should be saying well, if it bothers you so much, maybe it should come down... and, then, seeing that they now disagree in the opposite manner, they both quietly go home without taking any action, the one that finds the statue offensive avoids the area as much as possible, the one who care about it a great deal doesn't insist that the other recognize it's existence..

That would require that they will listen to each other. Their division will keep that from happening. All the while the enemy is in their midst's.

but when it comes to people traveling halfway across the country to fight over the statue... that they don't really have to make any effort to avoid lest they be offended, or will never visit to admire..

I wonder how many from both hate groups came from out of town. That is how all these problems seem to be handled by these groups. They travel to cause trouble, or stand for what they believe.

wtf??? is it really worth being violent over one way or another????

No, but they do not understand what Civilization should be about.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 14-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I think moving them to museums is the correct answer.

As to what do we learn from history? What not to do of course.

Purging history is generally something done in countries like NK to control the narrative and by doing that the people. It's not something any society of free people should want.

Having the statues moved to museums is something I'd imagine most people would be willing to get behind, but no rational person is going to condone violence or destruction of property as the way to do it. With a little civics education and using the system instead of fighting it, things like this can be done by consensus and peacefully.

Blaine?

With all due respect, they'd just shut down the museums.
edit on 14-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

link   
So, in a few months when people start attacking museums and libraries and burning books what will you all say? What? That it is their right. To destroy what they do not want others to know. There have been bad people all throughout history but the only way to show those who are the next generation NOT to be that way is to show them the wrong or how those who were on the wrong side made it right somehow.

When those you support and thought were there for you turn on you who will you call? No one because it will be so far gone you missed what was happening.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

The Georgia Guide-stones get vandalized Constantly.

Just sayin...

link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
a reply to: Painterz

When do you plan on leading the march to remove the statue of Abraham Lincoln?

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1858
www.minnpost.com...

Hurry up and git 'er done, SJW, before all the Nazis and white supremacists are drawn to his statue and somebody gets triggered.

Useful idiots when things needs to be destroyed. Enjoy that status while you can.

I only wish I could give you a sky full of stars FissionSurplus.

Posting the truth here will only get you slammed by those who think they know everything. But actually only know how to parrot the idiot standing next to them.

Des

link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I am sure they were told to stand down like Charlottesville.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: kruphix

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

The history? Thats debatable.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

We are learning that local governments better start listening to the people and taking down these relics of hate, or it seems they will be taken down for them.

The history of the Civil War isn't going anywhere...these statues don't do anything to preserve that history or teach anyone anything about that history. They are there as symbols of hate...as symbols of Southerners thinking that "the south will rise again". They haven't had any place in this country for a long time...it's just that now people who will no longer tolerate symbols of hate are outnumbering the old racist bigots that are trying to keep those symbols in place.

I've always said that time is the best weapon against outdated racist thinking...old people die off and take their backwards thinking with them. Each generation less and less of that hate is passed down...it just seems like maybe we are at a tipping point where the people are finally saying "enough is enough".

Seeing that statue come down is a great sign.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

The history? Thats debatable.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

We are learning that local governments better start listening to the people and taking down these relics of hate, or it seems they will be taken down for them.

The history of the Civil War isn't going anywhere...these statues don't do anything to preserve that history or teach anyone anything about that history. They are there as symbols of hate...as symbols of Southerners thinking that "the south will rise again". They haven't had any place in this country for a long time...it's just that now people who will no longer tolerate symbols of hate are outnumbering the old racist bigots that are trying to keep those symbols in place.

I've always said that time is the best weapon against outdated racist thinking...old people die off and take their backwards thinking with them. Each generation less and less of that hate is passed down...it just seems like maybe we are at a tipping point where the people are finally saying "enough is enough".

Seeing that statue come down is a great sign.

Yes we get it. You are all for violence and intimidation.

Officials better start listening to the will of the mob; or else.

And I am glad you hate old people so much.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of younger people like you filled with hate and ready to silence any who disagree with them by force to keep the hate train running strong.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Gainesville www.clickorlando.com...

Atlanta www.ajc.com...

Kentucky www.nytimes.com...

Baltimore baltimore.cbslocal.com...

So these statues have been here in some cases for decades.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Seem to remember recently... many historic monuments, buildings etc.. being destroyed...

OH yeah... the wrath of ISIS....

A bit disturbing that this kind of wiping out history... the chance to pass history down to the next gen...

Is.. just being conveniently swept away....

Like it never happened...

Reminds me..... Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it sound familiar?

Just sayin....

link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

Ummm....Robert E. Lee was a traitor to the United States of America and a racist a-hole.

You can either love the USA or love traitors of the USA....take your pick.

In your estimation, what side are all the USA hating Leftists on?

link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: aethertek
Well it wont need to be melted, crumpled on impact, too bad so sad.

& in other good news Texas A&M canceled Dick spencer & his nazi hatefest.
Then just for giggles the hotels in Washington wouldn't rent him a room so he had to do his song & dance at his crappy apt.
Still laughing about that LOL.

Name them & shame them, drive them back into what ever stinking hole they crawled out of.

K~

Holy #.. what a sad sad video with some sad sad individuals. I'm going to assume you had your hands up in celebration watching this and probably imagined yourself kicking the statue too.

I know I Did!

This video got my adrenalin pumping!

They all need to be torn down! Immediately!

The Confederacy was a rebellion.. a terrorist organization that took the lives of union soldiers, and supported the enslavement of citizens.

They shouldn't exist outside of museums in the first place.

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.

Yeah Auschwitz is not considered as a constant reminder of our dark past nope not at all. Wow people are getting truly dumber by the minute.

Sorry.. I'm misunderstanding your retort.

I was saying Germany doesn't have any monuments of Hitler.. because.. yeah.. Germany is sane.

I'm saying that these things should be kept in museums here in the US... and should not be up in public for adoration.

The difference is.. in Germany.. Auschwitz brings shame, and reminds the citizens of Germany and the world of the atrocities of war.

Whereas here in the US.. these statues are state sanctioned monuments built in adoration of confederate leaders.

Totally different.

The Confederacy was a terrorist organization

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

Ummm....Robert E. Lee was a traitor to the United States of America and a racist a-hole.

You can either love the USA or love traitors of the USA....take your pick.

That is what an idiot that is ignorant of what the man stood for had done or believed would say.

edit on 14-8-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Abysha

Tearing down statues is a long tradition of symbolizing victory.

Were the Sons of Liberty like ISIS when they tore down the statue of King George in New York???

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Sure what ever. Are you a white supremacist? A Nazi? Just asking. Otherwise why you guys getting so upset.
These statues represent haters and people who tried to destroy the nation.
What's wrong with just getting rid of all that crap.

Its apparently been there as another poster said something like a hundred

years, its been part of the landscape ..... and suddenly it becomes so offensive

that mob rule vandalises it?

Its history, not all history was good its there as a reminder of a lesson learned

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join