It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'll justify destroying symbols of hate all day long...should have been done long ago.

Does that include books? Paintings?

If they are displayed in a public space as a celebration of a history of hate and local officials are unwilling to remove such symbols...yes...100%.

These things have their place...libraries and museums...not on display on public land.

Libraries and museums are public spaces.

+9 more 
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Of course you did, you're one of the most extreme lefties on this site.

Adrenaline pumped after watching a few SJW'S kick a statue? Lol, to each their own I guess.

I will say that I'm glad that I don't share your world view.

link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Ummm....Robert E. Lee was a traitor to the United States of America and a racist a-hole.

You can either love the USA or love traitors of the USA....take your pick.

link   

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.

Neither does the US.
Now , BugBeGone

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Are you jumping for joy over the destruction of this public monument too?
Teen accused of vandalizing Boston's Holocaust memorial

After all, fascism takes many forms, as does hate.

link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

originally posted by: aethertek
Well it wont need to be melted, crumpled on impact, too bad so sad.

& in other good news Texas A&M canceled Dick spencer & his nazi hatefest.
Then just for giggles the hotels in Washington wouldn't rent him a room so he had to do his song & dance at his crappy apt.
Still laughing about that LOL.

Name them & shame them, drive them back into what ever stinking hole they crawled out of.

K~

Holy #.. what a sad sad video with some sad sad individuals. I'm going to assume you had your hands up in celebration watching this and probably imagined yourself kicking the statue too.

I know I Did!

This video got my adrenalin pumping!

They all need to be torn down! Immediately!

The Confederacy was a rebellion.. a terrorist organization that took the lives of union soldiers, and supported the enslavement of citizens.

They shouldn't exist outside of museums in the first place.

Germany doesn't have any monuments to Hitler that I'm aware of.

Yeah Auschwitz is not considered as a constant reminder of our dark past nope not at all. Wow people are getting truly dumber by the minute.

+4 more 
link   

I'll justify destroying symbols of hate all day long...should have been done long ago.

Does that include books? Paintings?

If they are displayed in a public space as a celebration of a history of hate and local officials are unwilling to remove such symbols...yes...100%.

These things have their place...libraries and museums...not on display on public land.

Libraries and museums are public spaces.

Right.
They're next.

link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: matafuchs

Freakin' anarchists.

I wonder how many of these people wrote bills to remove the statue or would have gotten out and actually voted on it if it existed. I'm guessing zero.

I get the anger, I super do. But this isn't helping.

I am glad that reasonable people from the left (I know I am labeling but I don't mean it as an insult) like you and ante are on here to condemn this mob action.

It is amazing to see people out themselves on here celebrating this.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

When do you plan on leading the march to remove the statue of Abraham Lincoln?

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1858
www.minnpost.com...

Hurry up and git 'er done, SJW, before all the Nazis and white supremacists are drawn to his statue and somebody gets triggered.

Useful idiots when things needs to be destroyed. Enjoy that status while you can.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: kruphix

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

Ummm....Robert E. Lee was a traitor to the United States of America and a racist a-hole.

You can either love the USA or love traitors of the USA....take your pick.

Yes, he was a graduate of Westpoint, a U.S. army general for 32 years, and ran the military academy. So, someone thought he was more than your opinion states.

And your black/white view of the world is so myopic it is not even laughable, but pity-able.

I feel sorry for anyone with that sort of limited knowledge of history.

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Could you imagine if a group of right wingers pulled down a statue of MLK? Saying all hell would break loose is putting it mildly.

That will literally start civil war.

What's that?

Ain't no moar books or nuthin' about that!

I know you would agree that tearing down a statue of MLK would bring hell to America.

I'd become visibly upset.

Lets hope that never happens.

link   

Not only that, but he was a loser.

As in, he lost: get over it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Sure, that's what you guys say now but I know damn well that would be the next target for you "patriots", but go ahead and pretend that won't happen.

In a museum, they would be in their proper context...not as a celebration piece.

It would show the context of what these men stood for (racism) and how they were defeated.

link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Exactly. Those who want to control the present destroy the past. Then, they can write their own history. It happens in discussion all the time. The people of the US are being taught it was built on hate not hope. Fear not Faith. That we the people did not make our country and we should apologize to those who cry out the loudest for retribution.

link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Could you imagine if a group of right wingers pulled down a statue of MLK? Saying all hell would break loose is putting it mildly.

That will literally start civil war.

What's that?

Ain't no moar books or nuthin' about that!

I know you would agree that tearing down a statue of MLK would bring hell to America.

I'd become visibly upset.

Lets hope that never happens.

Me too.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
I wonder if this will spark a discussion in Germany of burning Auschwitz to the ground.

Why would Germans tear it down? It's in Poland.

80 years have past and it loomed over our heads for far too long. That's a reason as good as any. See i can make # up to justify anything as well.

link   

it's the people that are the problem, insanity has infected us all!!!!

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

How do you learn from history that is hidden?

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it" is a an often used quote that may or may not have ever been spoken, but it is very true.

Put these relics where they belong...in a museum....not outside of government buildings with a engraving that says "The Confederate States of America". They can have a nice little display right next to the Nazi display...showing how old outdated thinking was focused on the hatred of skin color.

What history are we learning from this statue exactly anyway???

The history? Thats debatable.

But we are learning something about the present; that authoritarians like you will use mob rule to force your beliefs on others.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Abysha

Freakin' anarchists.

I wonder how many of these people wrote bills to remove the statue or would have gotten out and actually voted on it if it existed. I'm guessing zero.

I get the anger, I super do. But this isn't helping.

I am glad that reasonable people from the left (I know I am labeling but I don't mean it as an insult) like you and ante are on here to condemn this mob action.

It is amazing to see people out themselves on here celebrating this.

I appreciate that, thank you. For me, it's about picking your battles. A statue like that would probably end up getting removed legally before long, anyway. Legally.

Tearing down history in such an ISIS fashion is a bad look for the anarchists. I mean, if it were something super special like, say, the Statue of Liberty had "Slavery is totes awesome" written on it, I'd be more inclined to say "apply more anarchists, please".

And you are not wrong to note an overlap of leftists and anarchists. It's not a 100% overlap but it exists in the same way that racist/conservative does. When you see so many leftists defending anarchists, it's difficult to deny. But don't forget, those types of people have liberals on their #list, as well.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join