It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

conor mcgregor vs floyd mayweather . bad fight for floyd

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

The thing with Conor gassing was mainly about going up in weight easily and having the cardio lagging behind. By the second fight his cardio was way better. People don't appreciate how interconnected cardio, muscular strength and conditioning are. They think they can run 5 miles with no strength training or stand one round in the ring without great cardio. In Conor's case, he's now spent a few months getting used to the extra weight and allowing for the cardio to catch up (I hope lol).

I'm convinced that most of the people saying Conor will win are just trolling.

Let's wait and see what happens. There are pros and cons on both sides and a lot of varied opinions. Sure enough some are trolling hard and some are fanboys who always say the same old bull whoever their 'man' is fighting. The UFC message boards are lit up with bickering about who'll win and half of them only wish defeat on McGregor because of his arrogance.

Personally, I can see it going either way and don't see Mayweather looking so hot by the end of it. To look good, he'll have to win by schooling Conor through all the rounds or scoring a super rare TKO/KO. McGregor looks good simply by going the distance, landing some significant strikes and anything else is gravy. Mayweather has more to lose and faces more pressure. In fact, he was saying he was going to do something different whilst it's a special fight and that's more likely to work in Conor's favour than Floyd's. Sounds like BS to me, but yeah night of the fight will prove who's right

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
media.giphy.com...

More of the same? If so Mayweather wins a decision. I won't be wasting my money.
edit on 25-8-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I am sticking with it......I have been in a few dust-ups in my day......and there is such a thing as overwhelming offense based upon a pursuit mentality,designed for destruction and trust me he who lands KO power first always has the edge .......you see Conor is DESIGNED FOR DESTRUCTION......he is not going to be jabbing and faking and dancing....he is going to be in killer pursuit mode looking to break pieces of Floyd every time he touches him....Conor will not even consider 3/4 of the tactics and shot choices Floyd will be trying to use..... Conor will pursue and shrink the ring on Floyd like Floyd has never ever seen......everyone is counting on Floyd being able to escape the destruction everyone knows Conor can rain down on him.....but WHAT IF Conors MMA footwork and pursuit offense end up cutting the ring down in a way Floyd has not considered.....lol....Conor has knockout power coming from completely different catalysts-angles-places out of both hands moving north-south-east-or west.....and he is conditioned to plough the road looking to KO anything in his path with elite forward momentum...not stick and move.......soooooo....IMHO Conor will simply come out throwing constant KO pressure in forward focus from the 1st second on.....I do not believe Conor will even throw more than ten-fifteen jabs the entire fight.....he will be looking to deconstruct Floyds head and body.

Conor plans on marching in and absorbing Floyds best then immediatly KOing him ....Floyds best is pitiful at this stage of the game.

Conors strength is open ground where it is easier to KO Floyd from an MMA tactically timed angle Floyd cannot read..........Floyds only chance is to try to lure Conor into the corners and fight from there-out..........but Floyd has never fought from the corners out....that is blue-collar work which was always to menial for Floyd....so when I break it down Floyd must fight from his weakest front[corners-out] against Conors strongest front[open-ground] in a static pugilistic style which again is Conors strength.

Every single time Floyd gets hit he risks being KOed......every time the battle becomes static Floyd risks being KOed....Floyd CANNOT back Conor up....and he doesnt have the juice to hurt Conor countering as he is backing up.....Conor DOES have the MMA ingrained instinct and power to KO Floyd as Conor is backing up or fading sideways... with a counter power-punch.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Every time Floyd brings his old carcass within striking range of Conor which he must do to stick-and-run.....Floyd takes a massive risk of being KOed.....EVERY TIME.....Floyd will be running from the first exchange on...non-stop running....once he feels Conors power he will fold like a wet tent.

I stopped watching boxing a decade ago with everyone else.

The only real tangible question is if Conor can throw knockout punches with those gloves on.....and methinks he can....IMHO the rest is copacetic....I do not think Floyd can run long hard and far enough to stay awake beyond 3-4 rounds....if even that.

I hope Conor has some old pro Boxing people in his corner looking for dirty tradecraft sneaky deeds....we wouldnt want to see Floyds gloves or something open up an early cut...so Floyd can pretend he is Nick Diaz and powder-puff punch-jab 1000 times until the cut opens up enough for an early stoppage by the refs.....this could be the planned "out".....we wouldnt want to see any linament or anything get into Conors eyes from Floyds equipment either now would we?.
edit on 25-8-2017 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm not much of a betting man but I walked past a sign in Ladbrooks today offering 33/1 Conner to win.
Must be worth a few quid.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The thing with Conor gassing was mainly about going up in weight easily and having the cardio lagging behind. By the second fight his cardio was way better. People don't appreciate how interconnected cardio, muscular strength and conditioning are. They think they can run 5 miles with no strength training or stand one round in the ring without great cardio. In Conor's case, he's now spent a few months getting used to the extra weight and allowing for the cardio to catch up (I hope lol).

3 things here. 1) The Mayweather-McGregor fight is at 154lbs. So Conor getting used to fighting at 170lbs won't have any affect on this fight. 2) He still gassed before the 8 minute mark in both Diaz fights & had to resort to jogging/running away from Nate just to buy more time. Floyd on the other hand routinely goes 36 minutes against champions without gassing.

And 3) boxing is way more taxing than people think. The gloves get heavier as the fight goes on because of the constant sweating & the tired arms. And it's different having to keep your hands up for 36min while constantly bouncing back & forth, because if he stands still, he'll definitely get picked apart. And Conor's excessive stance switches will tire him out even more, especially if once the fight gets to the later rounds.

Let's wait and see what happens. There are pros and cons on both sides and a lot of varied opinions. Sure enough some are trolling hard and some are fanboys who always say the same old bull whoever their 'man' is fighting. The UFC message boards are lit up with bickering about who'll win and half of them only wish defeat on McGregor because of his arrogance.

Yeah I've been watching the MMA boards. I'm eagerly waiting for Sunday morning just to see the meltdowns.

Personally, I can see it going either way and don't see Mayweather looking so hot by the end of it. To look good, he'll have to win by schooling Conor through all the rounds or scoring a super rare TKO/KO. McGregor looks good simply by going the distance, landing some significant strikes and anything else is gravy. Mayweather has more to lose and faces more pressure. In fact, he was saying he was going to do something different whilst it's a special fight and that's more likely to work in Conor's favour than Floyd's.

Floyd's just trying to sell the fight by saying he'll do things differently. But even if he fights his normal way, I'll be surprised if the fight goes past 6 rounds. Slow & plodding Nate Diaz landed more punches than Conor in their second fight, and his "defense" is a combination of blocking punches with his forearms and blocking them with his face. Conor had to keep turning his back and jogging away even though Nate's nowhere near as fast or accurate as Floyd.

But yes, fight night will determine everything. (I'm still rooting for a double knockout though lol)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: one4all

You keep mentioning Floyd "running", yet you have no comment about Conor's actual running from Diaz? I even linked the clip so people can see it for themselves. 50-0

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yep. I'm still trying to convince myself to go to a movie theater or club where they'll be showing it (costs less that way). But I literally gave up hope that Floyd would lose after the Pacquiao fight.

I sat up all night hoping for some miracle punch only to watch Pac get completely outclassed. There was one point (I forgot the round) where Pac was throwing combinations against Floyd, who was "trapped" against the ropes. Floyd blocked every single punch, looked at Pac like "any more?", Pac backed off, and Floyd walked forward as if nothing happened. I knew at that moment that the fight was over. I've seen him do the same thing to countless other opponents like De La Hoya and Cotto, and he made Canelo look like an amateur. And all 3 of those guys would destroy Conor in a boxing match.

I'm having a hard time justifying paying for this fight. If the whole card was "MMA vs Boxing", then I probably would just for the laughs. And if this was under kickboxing rules, I probably would because that would be hard to predict. But this glorified exhibition match is a blatant money grab.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I've done a bit of boxing and no MMA. However, I know people who've done both at competition level and boxing isn't more taxing than MMA fighting. It's about levels of fitness and some top level MMA fighters are fit (e.g. Demetrious) and some aren't so fit (e.g. Mark Hunt) with the same applying to top ranked boxers. Conor should have spent a lot more time on his cardio and we'll see when the bell goes.

It'll be a fight if nothing else and let's hope it'll be a great enough one to talk about in the aftermath.

ETA - the fight is a big steaming pile of stupid whatever happens. It's pure spectacle and meaningless in either sport. These guys are making more money than several generations of a small town. Fair play to them and I'll enjoy the fight regardless.

edit on 8.25.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I think the cardio issue may be more about "specialized cardio" (yes, I made that phrase up). What I mean is that the cardio needed to grapple for 36min is different from the cardio needed to punch, bounce, keep the hands up, and get punched for 36 min.

A more extreme (and ridiculous) example would be the difference between Formula 1 racing cardio and kickboxing cardio. I've admittedly only glanced at the info about race car drivers, but from what I've seen, their endurance is amazing for what they do. But I doubt that they'd be able to kickbox for 36min against the best kickboxers in their pro debuts. Having to punch and kick hundreds of times would likely wear them out in ways they're simply to used to.

On another note, it's not like I hate either guy. Both have said & done things that I don't like and I've routinely rooted against both of them. But at the end of the day, I still want them to be successful & make their money. I just don't feel like giving them my money. lol

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Who's hyped? I am hyped!

Why?

'Cos sometimes the reasons make no...

Nah, 'cos I am a Conor fanboi!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Can't wait for this. It's such an interesting match up and could really go either way at this point although Floyd definitely has the advantage.

I think what makes it so interesting is theyre both primarily counter punchers and neither of them can really train with a sparring partner who can effectively mimic the style of the other. Floyd has the Philly shell mastered and Conor's movement is so unorthodox that nobody can replicate it.

Really looking forward to seeing how it plays out!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

(e.g. Demetrious)

Did some boxing at his gym for about 6 months, dude is in insanely good shape. I'm sitting there jump roping and he's just embarrassing all of us, don't think he even noticed he was doing it. Hearing him in the ring hitting pads sounded like a machine gun going off. Liked him before, but after watching him train and how he doesn't seem to have an ounce of ego outside the ring really impressed me.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I assumed it went without saying that headkicks and knees and MMA sanctioned blows which can be on their way at any moment from any angle tend to make one run when they lose their own line or rythem.....Nick Diaz is not my type of MMa fighter and he is less of a boxer than Conor is IMHO....Nick is an aggravating orthodox fighter who is like Chris Leben was....fearless and expecting to absorb punishment to give out some.....except Leben lead with power and Diaz leads with machine gun jabs ....Nick Diaz is not a power puncher....he knows sweetspots and has excellent instincts during exchanges...in flurries he can uncork his maximum power punch at perfect times....unexpectedly because of his volume of garbage distraction punches.....its part of Diazes style and it works for him because of his excellent ground game....and this is the true shame...Nick spends to much time bogarting when he should have been working on real elite caliber striking skills instead of showtiming it .Waste of potential IMHO>heart of lion...but to free of a spirit on some levels maybe.

Yes,Conor was on his horse and history shows it was mistake and also that he learned from it which is why I expect him to stalk and sleepify a 40 year old dude like Floyd.......in MMA and in any sport you better know when to hold em and when to fold em....sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.

Just remember what happened to the Spider when Wideman simply kept coming and coming forward with KO intentions.....the Spider is MMAs Maywether type.....exactly......and IMHO Conor has Widemns courage and KO intentions moving forward as much as it takes to LAND POWER....everyone assumes Floyd will have enough power to stop and stand-off or control Conor...I think Floyds pwer is long-gone and he is done like dinner....he is coming down the other side of the big hill now.

www.youtube.com...

If Floyd hangs his chin for even a split-second to long its sleepy time and I believe Conors non-stop pressure will force Flyd to run and open up....which is when I see Conor coming forward much further and faster than Floyd is used to with much more knockout intentions....like Wideman had with the Spider.....spiderman hung his chin out there just like Floyd will do and an incoming train is going to clip Floyds tiny little chin .

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I just think people are vastly overrating Floyd's age for this fight. He's been saying and doing everything possible to get people to think the fight won't be a colossal mismatch. He constantly compliments Conor, belittles himself by bringing up his age & "I'm not the fighter I was _ years ago", says he's going out partying all week, etc. All of it is to get more people to believe someone can finally beat him so they'll buy the pay per views.

Put it like this, Floyd's last fight was against Andre Berto. Unlike Conor, Berto is a highly proven boxer, being a former WBC & IBF champ. Yet nobody watched that fight and its PPV numbers were low because everyone knew Floyd would win convincingly. His fight before that is currently the most ordered PPV event of all time vs Pacquiao, because everyone (including myself) thought there was finally a fighter who could dethrone him. The next most ordered PPV event of all time is Floyd's fight against another guy, De La Hoya, who people thought would surely defeat him. The next most ordered PPV event of all time is Floyd's fight against Canelo because, you guessed it, people finally thought there was someone who could defeat him.

On the surface, this is a massive money grab and should simply be an exhibition match or a "celebrity boxing" event. But in order to sell the fight and make a fortune from it, they have to say & do whatever it takes to get people to actually believe there was someone who could beat him. But Floyd's team had to literally look at the champion of an entirely different sport just to find someone who people would pay money to see him fight. In other words, they had to look for fans outside of boxing to sucker/"convince" them that their guy could actually defeat Floyd. I'm not trying to be mean here since I'd laugh hysterically if there was a double knockout, but this is a mismatch of nearly epic proportions.

Oh, and Conor fought Nate Diaz not his older brother Nick. Nick would've obliterated Conor even faster. Remember, Nick's the one who TKO'd Frank Shamrock, KO'd Robbie Lawler, beat BJ Penn, and lost decisions against GSP & Spider Silva. All of those guys in their primes would've made light work of Conor (BJ would lose now though).

ETA: I'll correct one thing. I'm not sure how the PPV numbers work out for things like the Olympics and World Cup. I think those are simply free globally, but I'm not sure. So I'm just going by the announced PPV numbers for individual events when I talk about the PPV numbers above. Oh and 50-0.

edit on 26-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

You keep mentioning Floyd "running", yet you have no comment about Conor's actual running from Diaz? I even linked the clip so people can see it for themselves. 50-0

I think people are going a bit over the top with the Conor running away stuff. I have watched the fight many times, and it is not like Conor was running away as Diaz was hitting him, he done is a few times, just to compare himself.

You have to remember, Diaz can take a huge amount of damage, hence the reason he has only been knocked out once, and that was from a leg kick.

Conor deserved to win that that.

As for Floyd, I think he will win, but with conor, you just never know.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

I think people are going a bit over the top with the Conor running away stuff. I have watched the fight many times, and it is not like Conor was running away as Diaz was hitting him, he done is a few times, just to compare himself.

"Over the top"? I was literally responding to someone who was saying that Floyd would be "running away" from Conor. So I merely showed what "running away" in a fight actually looks like.

When people say Floyd "runs away", they're referring to him constantly dodging an opponent's attacks, bouncing away from an opponent's attacks, and then him clinching with the opponent. Like this:

Now be honest. Which one looks more like "running away" from someone, Floyd's "running" or Conor's "running"?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Jay-morris

"Over the top"? I was literally responding to someone who was saying that Floyd would be "running away" from Conor. So I merely showed what "running away" in a fight actually looks like.

When people say Floyd "runs away", they're referring to him constantly dodging an opponent's attacks, bouncing away from an opponent's attacks, and then him clinching with the opponent. Like this:

Now be honest. Which one looks more like "running away" from someone, Floyd's "running" or Conor's "running"?

Go on sherdog, and Conor haters are saying he ran away all fight, which is rubbish! Rad what most proffesionals say, and they do no see them problem.

Off course Conor was going to tire. He was up against a fighter who never gets tired normally, and always moves forward, no matter how many times he is hit.

We all know Conor is not a cardio master, so composing himself a few times against Diaz was going to happen.

At the end of the day, Conor beat Diaz. A fight were most people said he had no chance.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
One of two things will happen. McGregor gets completely outclassed and humiliated. Or Mayweather kills McGregor. Skilled professional boxers have died. McGregor is not a skilled professional boxer and has NO chance of winning.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
One of two things will happen. McGregor gets completely outclassed and humiliated. Or Mayweather kills McGregor. Skilled professional boxers have died. McGregor is not a skilled professional boxer and has NO chance of winning.

Every fighter has a chance. Conor is a skilled striker, got a hell of a punch, night fighting IQ, younger, confidence. Cause he has a chance!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join