It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

conor mcgregor vs floyd mayweather . bad fight for floyd

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Any boxer under mma rules is gonna get their legs chopped all day by a decent striker and taken down at will by a decent grappler. The cage is definitely not a place for 1 dimensional fighters.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

You sure about that?

For those who don't know, Sylvia is a former 2 time UFC Heavyweight Champion & Mercer is a former Heavyweight boxing champ. Trying to outpunch a legit world boxing champ in the cage is suicidal. That's why Couture immediately took James Toney down.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I am an avid MMA follower, i have also won a #e load of money off it.... Connor will lose the fight, not through knock out, there'll be no submission, he will incur penalty after penalty by round 6, it'll be called off. I hate Mayweather, but he will beat Connor with respect, even though he's a dog.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I've put £2 on Mcgregor for a 1st round win for a £134 return and £1 on a 2nd round win for a £64 return. £3 for fun.

Part of me imagines the younger, hungrier battler swarming Mayweather and putting him on his back foot. Yeah, it's Mayweather's comfort zone where he scores points and counter-strikes with ease. Conor can take a punch and counter-strike too. With accuracy. So maybe and why not?

Realistically, if Conor can't get inside early and hurt Mayweather, he'll be outpointed and schooled. There's a good reason why the odds are all against him. He could keep his range and wait for an opening, but world-class boxers have tried and still lost. It's not his style and he'll lose on unanimous points. Floyd's one of those characters who lures opponents into the corners and out points them before the bell goes.

Really, really realistically, the fight won't happen if Mayweather thinks there's a slim chance of losing. No point bruising his legacy despite the potential profit. Makes sense too. Win or lose, it's all gravy for Mcgregor.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Conor can take a punch and counter-strike too. With accuracy. So maybe and why not?

With normal fighters perhaps...

Most good boxers couldn't even touch him... and conner isn't a boxer

Watch any fight of mayweather's.... hes just too fast... too good at avoiding being hit... thats why he never lost

Conner might have the advantage of Floyd being pretty old... but the fact is Mayweather will humiliate Conner

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

thats the 1 in 10 where a boxer wins mma rules

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I said the same thing.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Just driving the point home...

conner doesn't belong in the same ring as floyd... only reason he got the fight was because he just got tired of conner flapping his lip...

Theres a stack of boxers that would destroy him in the ring... and floyd was the top of that stack for his whole career

personally i think this might be a ploy to get floyd into an MMA match after he loses.... but he isn't that stupid

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

No worries.

As much as Conor and Floyd love the paychecks, I think Conor sincerely thinks he's got what it takes to be the equal of the best boxers. He'll still make history by losing. There are no negatives for him here.

Mayweather doesn't need the money, the profile or the chance of a loss. Haggling and BSing about this fight keeps his name in the press and that'll be all thank you very much.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Yeah, I just wanted to point out that one dimensional fighters can still win quickly & convincingly if the MMA fighter doesn't utilize their other fighting styles from the beginning. The average MMA fighter's "boxing" is child's play to a boxing champ, and Sylvia incorrectly thought he could stand up with him.

I think the same thing would happen if any other legit boxing champ fought an MMA fighter in MMA. If the MMA fighter immediately got a takedown, the boxer would likely lose (unless the boxer was trained in takedown defense). But if the MMA fighter tried to "stand & bang", he/she would catch a real punch and wake up a minute or so later.

Oh yeah, the reason I came to respect catch wrestling so much is because in high school I was literally obsessed with finding an art that could counter and defeat the Gracies. I would buy issues of martial arts magazines then get some of the books advertised in them. I had books ranging from Japanese Jiujitsu and Sambo to Guge Gongji & Dim-Mak (yeah...). I had a book from Gene Lebell which had an absurd number of locks, cranks, and submission holds (called "Grappling World") and that convinced me that submission wrestlers could do it.

I had my younger brother take Taekwondo classes and then join the wrestling & cross country teams in middle school & high school. I wanted him to be able to handle himself in a "real fight" if he needed to lol. We'd also practice every submission move we saw in MMA fights and in any of the books I got. Fun times.

At the time, I thought Taekwondo's kicks, boxing's punches, and submission wrestling's grappling would be the ultimate MMA combo. Then again, I also thought Dim-Mak was legit and thought Karate was completely useless, so my judgment was sketchy at best. And I originally only liked Muay Thai because of Street Fighter 2 games, Jean Claude movies, and because Marco Ruas looked like a muscular version of my Spanish language teacher. So I was glad & slightly surprised to see it become an important part of MMA.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

You sure about that?

For those who don't know, Sylvia is a former 2 time UFC Heavyweight Champion & Mercer is a former Heavyweight boxing champ. Trying to outpunch a legit world boxing champ in the cage is suicidal. That's why Couture immediately took James Toney down.

Thats a pretty funny example...

Boxers are actually twice as deadly in a UFC ring... they have 5oz gloves instead of the usual 10-12oz

completely stupid to try and dance with a pro boxer... tim found out the hard way lol

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
ive been reading through fighter bios and watching highlights and #...

this is the dude i want to see fight conor...

Khabib Nurmagomedov

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
and for the hell of it

nick diaz and kron gracie blazing and then doing a triathalon

#in lazy stoners

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I'm admittedly a Khabib fanboy so I'll chime in just a little. I think Khabib's biggest problem other than injuries is that he likes to test himself by striking against good strikers. I was really nervous before his last win (against Michael Johnson) because I knew that Johnson's striking was lightyears above Khabib's and that he'd land some good shots. And sure enough, Johnson was landing some good shots while they were striking.

Khabib ended up winning the fight by submission but he would've lost to Conor if he took those same shots. I doubt they'll ever fight now, but if they did, I would beg Khabib to go straight for the grappling from the beginning. I used to hate on Conor big time and thought he'd get crushed against both Aldo and Alvarez. But nope. Those dudes tried to strike against him and got knocked out.

I know that many top level competitors like to beat their opponents at their opponent's strength, but I think that's a horrible decision. Conor's proven to me that his striking is amazing for MMA and I simply don't think Khabib's is good enough to keep trading with him. But Khabib's so confident in his skills borderline arrogant that I think Conor would get in his head and make Khabib think he has to prove his superiority at striking.
edit on 19-5-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

since youre a catch junkie i wanted to show you this sub. this is my single favorite submission and it is right out of the catch wrestling playbook.

this # is painful man!!!!!
ive been in that and it is fast....

there is a video of the great billy robinson showing this move

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
hey enlightened

en.wikipedia.org...

good article there

en.wikipedia.org...

my leg representing my #...there is more but you cant see it

edit on 19-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm surprised that more of the fighters with wrestling backgrounds didn't just adopt catch wrestling as their submission art instead of BJJ. It's a highly developed branch of their existing styles so I'd think the transition would be simpler. Then again, I'd heard that there weren't a lot of places to learn it anymore and that it was basically dying off. So maybe it's just too hard for them to find enough trainers?

That Grovit move looks painful. I'm curious how BJJ fighters would escape it if it really starts hurting instantly? Especially if the legs are also locked in. My younger bro & I tried a lot of cranks and locks, and we ended up banning cranks, armbars & kneebars. Our Mom would've killed us if we'd actually injured each other. lol

The last time my older brother & I got in a "fight" was way back when I was in high school and I'd just started learning submissions. I got him in a guillotine choke & wrapped my legs around one of his legs. I kept saying "I'll only let go if you're done", and then let it go before he went unconscious. He just looked at me with a blank face after that for maybe a full minute or so and never tested me again lol. As weird as it sounds, that's probably the moment where I finally acknowledged myself as a real man. As in "Yes! I'm finally the alpha male in the family! Muahahaha!"

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

That Grovit move looks painful. I'm curious how BJJ fighters would escape it if it really starts hurting instantly? Especially if the legs are also locked in.

you dont escape it....
you can defend against it but once youre locked in youre done. thats it.

its not like the grovit is the only one that you cant get out of once its locked in but it gets you fast.
you get someone in a mata leo(rear naked) and you can hold on a few before you tap...you give it a shot but if youre fully locked in youre not getting out.

the grovit is a different animal though.

a lot of catch wrestling locks are like that...thats kind of the thing that we were taught....brutal submissions.

there really is not a lot of places that i know of that teaches catch. at least not in the states. couple in england. couple in ireland.
the place i was at in florida is not there anymore.

i dont know if josh barnett has his own academy but if he does he teaches catch.
if he does not have his own he will be with erik paulson..

couple places in japan.

there has to be more....not like im piped in to all of it.

check out
www.scientificwrestling.com

check this out. you will see what i mean by brutal. you can see jitsu locks in there but these locks are more aggressive in general.

check out these keylock variations...

you can see even when he is demonstrating he talks about rotating joints a certain way so along with pressure on the shoulder you can break the other joint(s)
jitsu/sport jitsu goes for the tap.
catch goes for the snap

this is a sexy video..josh barnett doing a flow. its beautiful man

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Thanks for creating this thread. I agree with a good bit of the OP. It seems you think Conor needs to work on is grappling, particularly his jits. The only fighter to beat Conor and lose in a toss up decision during McGregor's UFC run is Nathan Diaz. He's a Caesar Gracie ju-jitsu student. Believe he's now a black belt. You seem to believe the Gracie school (if I have reading your posts correctly) jits is the 'best'. Won't disagree. Also Nate is a world-class boxer. He spares with Andre Ward. So the one main who was able to effectively neutralize that heat in McGregor's straight left was a boxer with MMA training. Floyd is on another level with his boxing than Nathan and he only needs to watch the 2 Diaz fights to create an effective game-plan to avoid Conor and counter. Nathan also proved that McGregor's gas tank isn't up to the test of a 12-round boxing match. He has about 90 seconds in the first round to hurt and chase down Mayweather and that's it. Anything beyond the first 90 seconds will become a comeuppance for McGegor. This fight will absolutely break all-time absolute dollar records and good for them both. The fact DFW gets to put his name on the history of this fight and line his pockets at the same time is the only problem I have with the fight.

Floyd is possibly dumber than a box of rocks, but there's no one on his level in promoting boxing matches, either. Hated the guy at first - remember him answering a question between Lamps and Jones Jr about who would win the Falcons at Packers playoff game...he answered Lamps' question "Vick's gonna do it" (paraphrasing) before Jones Jr responded - and I am thinking this guy is 'tool' and dumber than I thought. He played the Manny fight to a "T" perfectly and collected $300M for a night's work. I can no longer hate on Floyd. If this fight happens he's gonna be guaranteed $150M. For what should be the easiest professional fight he has ever had, notwithstanding the first 90 seconds. That's truly brilliant.

As for the fight itself and those things McGergor should focus primarily on, his gas tank is the absolute most critical. Going down the hierarchy of "things that should a focus" is sparring with 10-12 ounce gloves. Huge difference in the UFC's standard 4 ouncers. And finally, he should use all his boxing sessions to train in a dirty boxer/wrestleboxing manner because rounds 3-8 will require him to make it hard to judge (by the underwhelming judges) the rounds. If at that point, Conor is still in the fight Floyd may show the old axiom: Father Time never loses. That's my take on Conor's
path to victory, but if I could get the partner on board I wouldn't be scared to drop $2500 wager on Money May.

Caveat: If this fight is at 155lbs or below, Conor has ZERO chance.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

i do think conor needs to work in his grappling. 100% on that.
i do not think nor did i say the gracie school is the best. never said that.

i talked about rickson being the best pure grappler for a few pages.

youre right about the cardio too. thing is not many guys have the lungs that nick and nate do. ive mentioned how sick they get with their cardio training.

also conor has lost 3 times and he was submitted in all 3.

imo he was already exposed on the ground when nate tapped him. every now and then a striker comes along and is very successful and the cycle starts back up about how striking is superior and you dont really need a ground game. i dont agree and never will.
of course there have been a few strikers that put the hurt on people but over 20 years of the sport grapplers or at the lest guys that were competent on the ground have dominated.
there is a reason for that
edit on 20-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join