It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

conor mcgregor vs floyd mayweather . bad fight for floyd

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

back to kron for a sec

you know he has been rolling with rickson since before he can walk.
trains with rickson still and jake shields, nick and nate diaz and rolls with eddie bravo from time to time.

Not quite. According to Kron himself:

“I’ve been working so hard to prove that my dad’s jiu-jitsu is the best and my image is the same. But what people don’t know is that I’ve only put my gi on with my dad under 100 times. I’ve been on my own since I was 17. My dad only taught me when I was very young.”

Kron Gracie on Jiu-Jitsu, Skateboarding, Older Brothers, and Famous Fathers

The article goes on to say this, too:

Kron’s older brother Rockson was tough, outgoing, and outrageous. As a teenager he tattooed his last name across the back of his head and “21st Century Warrior” on his shoulders. Kron was more of a surf-kid and more passively set himself to training and competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments alongside his brother. When Rockson passed away in 2000 Rickson went into seclusion and Kron put down his skateboard to focus on stepping into the role of the next great hard-nosed Gracie.

"By the age of 12 I had broken each of my ankles twice [skating]," Kron says. "That’s when my brother told me that whatever I do, I should do it 100 percent, whether it’s being a skater or a doctor--don’t take it lightly. He said I am lucky enough to have access to the best jiu-jitsu family, the best jiu-jitsu father, and the best academy. It would be stupid for me not to take advantage of it. But he ended the conversation by telling me I could do whatever I wanted. I listened, but then when he passed away I felt like it was my mission to do what he wanted.“

It's from 2013 so things may have changed by now. But I just thought I'd point this out.

As for the OP: Mayweather v McGregor would definitely be a money grab for both. I think Floyd wins a boxing match 100 times out of 100, though if I were on tv I'd argue that Conor has a chance just to get ratings lol. The difference in technique & experience is just too great. People tend to forget that Floyd only fights defensively against the best fighters in the world. He wouldn't even have to fight like that against Conor.

It would be like LeBron James challenging prime Usain Bolt to a race. LeBron's "fast" for a basketball player but that doesn't mean he could compete against the very best in a completely different sport. And just like how LeBron would get crushed by any Olympic-level runner (not just the champs), McGregor would get crushed by any high level boxer. Who seriously thinks Conor could beat Pacquiao? Because Floyd toyed with him.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

my dad only taught me when i was very young.

so maybe not exclusively but you get the point.
kron has been on the mat with the best jitsu dude of all time...that was my point.

my point about kron being a technician stands.
he is a wizard and he would tool conor

i agree with you about floyd vs conor

and i think it may have changed with kron and rickson

rickson is always ringside. there are clips of them training together

i know rickson was there in 2013 at abu dahbi

www.bjjheroes.com...

Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Rickson Gracie > Kron Gracie

Being the youngest son of Rickson Gracie and grandson of Gracie jiu jitsu Grandmaster Helio Gracie, Kron Gracie became naturally involved with BJJ from his toddler years. A very young Kron Gracie can be seen playing jiu jitsu with his father in the famous Rickson Gracie documentary entitled “Choke” from 1995. His first record of a competitive medal in BJJ dates back to 1998 when Kron was 10 years old at the American International Championship where Kron achieved first place in the yellow belt division.

edit on 17-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
this is helio and rorion.
i have to think there was some of that going on in the rickson house

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Oh, I agree that Kron would manhandle Conor if the fight ever got to the ground. It's just that your comment reminded me of that interview. Before I'd read it, I used to dislike Kron (I'm admittedly a "hater" when it comes to the Gracies). But that article made me completely change my opinion of him.

For what it's worth, I respect their accomplishments but I've rooted for their opponents since the Kimo v Royce fight.

Other than the GracieBreakdown youtube channel, I'm pretty much still rooting against them.

Either way, I think a Conor v Kron fight would be dangerous for Kron. I pretty much always pick against Conor (much for the same reasons you outlined in the OP), but I'm done picking against him except in exceptional cases. He continues to win the fights that I expect him to lose so I have to give him a chance against Kron too. Woodley destroys Conor though.
edit on 17-5-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Floyd's last ko was in 2011 and it was a sucker punch, hes not a knockout guy.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

He's not a "knockout guy" anymore against champion level boxers. He'd be one against an amateur boxer like Conor though.

Don't forget that it only took Nate Diaz about 6 minutes to get Conor's timing down before he was able to wobble, pummel, and then nearly knockout Conor. Conor even admitted that he panicked before going for the desperation takedown which got him choked out. And that was a Nate Diaz who only had something like 9 or 10 days notice for their fight (the 1st fight).

Even the 2nd Diaz-McGregor fight had to go to a decision because Conor couldn't finish Diaz. And Diaz landed way more strikes than Conor did (252 to 197 landed strikes). Nate was able to connect that much against Conor, so just imagine what Floyd would do to him. And Floyd's boxing defense is literally levels beyond Nate's, meaning that Conor's not landing anything close to those numbers against Floyd.

In short, I think that Floyd would play with Conor for a few rounds while wearing him down with a thorough beating. By the 3rd or 4th round, Conor will be tired, bruised, and wobbled when Floyd finally decides to make Conor faceplant in the middle of the ring. Or maybe through the ropes just to make it more dramatic?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

why the hate?
id like to talk about that.

im a sakuraba fan for life but i wouldnt go so far as to say im a gracie hater. not a ball rider like most though.
for me they have their moments.
royler ripping it up in abu dahbi(until the beautiful tap eddie bravo put on him)
rickson in general but more because of the stories i have heard from other high level guys like jj machado about how rickson just tools everyone he rolls with.
im into kron cause he is the new gen gracie so i am hoping for something special.

i will never forget when sakuraba spanked(literally) ryan in the ring and japan. man he put it on them hard when they were at the top of their game.
popped renzo's elbow and the lock he put on royler was brutal man.....royler didnt tap though.
he was pissed when the ref stopped it but he wasnt going anywhere.

the first sakuraba vs royce was beautiful too. 90 minutes of sakuraba wearing him down and then rorion throw in the towel....that was a major moment i think. after all we alll know royce was all about his special rules and # back then...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
Floyd's last ko was in 2011 and it was a sucker punch, hes not a knockout guy.

McGregor is not a boxer and therefore is a guy ready to be knocked out.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Also, Alverez beat the crap out of Mayweather. Anywhere other than Vegas and Canillo would've took the title.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

watch it again bud..

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Connor McGregor is the only fighter in the MMA set up, that I enjoy watching, because he, quite rightly, knows that if a fight gets to the ground in the real world, the fellow who puts you there and his five mates, are going to stamp on your head and kill you dead.

Whereas, if you bash them all silly, they wind up taking a nap on a concrete mattress and you walk away none the worse for wear.

That is one of the things about him that makes him better at what he does, than all the wrestlers, grapplers, and dry humpers who have ever "graced" the sport. Put simply, if you do not win on your feet, you lose, period. Those are real world rules, and they work everywhere.

Now, as far as a fight with Mayweather goes, Mayweather is the better boxer, there is no question. However, McGregor knows how to avoid getting hit, and has a stealthy and rather unorthodox left hand, which comes out of absolutely no where. He has floored fellows who can take a flying knee to the chin and stand through it, with that hand, and not even at full power, without drawing it back. He is also very canny when it comes to movement, gauging distance, and timing.

Now, Mayweather is the best of the best in his field, we all know this. However, people suggesting that the fight is going to be all one way, have not studied both chaps with an eye to the fundamentals of their technique. The fight, should it happen, will, I believe, not be easy for either fellow to win.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree with a lot of what you said, but if the fight happens, it will be an absolutely embarrassing night for McGregor.
In 49 fights, against some of the best fighters in the world, floyd has only came close to losing a fight two, maybe three times.

He has only been hit hard two, maybe three times.
Manny had a tricky left hand too. One that is way faster and accurate than Conor's. He never landed it.
Mayweather has TOYED with top boxers.
If they fight, that is what you will see. A Smiling mayweather, absolutely toying with a frustrated McGregor, has he angrily chases, getting countered every time he throws a shot.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Disagree completely. He is not better than the grapplers like you say. You're entitled to you're opinion but I think you re wrong. Over the last 20 years across all promotions grapplers or guys that are competent on the ground have owned the sport. Yes here and there guys like conor creep through but more often than not pure strikers get taken out. All the evidence is there. Conor himself has tapped numerous times.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Fights in reality do tend to go to the ground and while pulling guard and deliberately taking it there against multiple opponents is indeed suicidal; an understanding of BJJ, judo or wrestling will help you get up as well as avoid being taken down. It's also surprising how disheartening it can be for a would be attacker to see his friend rapidly choked into unconsciousness in front of his eyes or dropped onto his skull. They definitely have real world applications but like everything; specific scenarios need to be drilled to make them effective.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

Fights in reality do tend to go to the ground and while pulling guard and deliberately taking it there against multiple opponents is indeed suicidal; an understanding of BJJ, judo or wrestling will help you get up as well as avoid being taken down. It's also surprising how disheartening it can be for a would be attacker to see his friend rapidly choked into unconsciousness in front of his eyes or dropped onto his skull. They definitely have real world applications but like everything; specific scenarios need to be drilled to make them effective.

youre right.
makes much more sense imo to learn how to handle yourself on the ground vs standup providing you can only learn one for whatever reason.
does not matter what you watch save for boxing where rules on on the feet
90% of mma fights go to the ground
look at any streetfight bull# on the net and those hit the ground too.

fighting on the ground is not just submissions.

if you know how to wrestle and you get into it with someone in a parking lot you can put a #ing world of hurt on them.
each is own i guess
ill take the ground

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I don't truly hate any of those guys (or women). I just like to root against them. I started watching MMA back when Ken Shamrock first got into WWE/WWF. I saw that he and Dan Severn had a real fighting rivalry on top of their pro wrestling "feud", so I looked into it. Needless to say, I was fascinated and have been an MMA fan ever since.

I went back to watch the first UFC tournaments and saw Royce's matches (had to buy them on VHS back then). I thought the concept of the tournaments was cool and liked the "style vs style" presentation, since I was also big into Jean Claude Van Damme movies & Street Fighter 2 type games. But instead of falling in love with Brazilian jiujitsu, I grew to root for their opponents. I started thinking that catch wrestling and Sambo were the best chances to defeat it.

That's pretty much where it all stems from. At that time, everyone was also fawning over the Gracies as the greatest fighters of all times. It reminded me of the myths about Bruce Lee so I wanted to see them humbled, with my dream match being Marco Ruas against Rickson on tape. The Sakuraba fights definitely shattered the invincible aura and now most good mma fighters know enough to fend off pure BJJ.

Oh yeah, I also didn't like the GOAT talk about Rickson. So few of his fights are on tape that it's hard for me to take his alleged accolades seriously. It's kind of like the Wilt Chamberlain legends. I also didn't like how he'd always come out and make some outrageous claim about how he could easily tap this or that new famous fighter. I say it's "outrageous" because he'd never take the fight to actually back up those boasts.

The thing I love the most about mma is that it's the ultimate proving ground for martial arts. If a style or technique is so great, show us. But tough talk and hearsay won't cut it. It's why I'm also not convinced by Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, and a lot of the supposed mystical martial arts. If their techniques are so good, they should be able to defeat common mma fighters. After all, every style has "forbidden" techniques like eye gouging, groin shots, etc. But the other styles have proven their worth by the strength of their other techniques. BJJ has proven itself as a valuable part of a balanced "diet" of styles; but Rickson hasn't proven anything to me as a MMA fighter.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
I started thinking that catch wrestling and Sambo were the best chances to defeat it.

That's pretty much where it all stems from. At that time, everyone was also fawning over the Gracies as the greatest fighters of all times. It reminded me of the myths about Bruce Lee so I wanted to see them humbled, with my dream match being Marco Ruas against Rickson on tape. The Sakuraba fights definitely shattered the invincible aura and now most good mma fighters know enough to fend off pure BJJ.

Oh yeah, I also didn't like the GOAT talk about Rickson. So few of his fights are on tape that it's hard for me to take his alleged accolades seriously. It's kind of like the Wilt Chamberlain legends. I also didn't like how he'd always come out and make some outrageous claim about how he could easily tap this or that new famous fighter. I say it's "outrageous" because he'd never take the fight to actually back up those boasts.

but Rickson hasn't proven anything to me as a MMA fighter.

thanks for getting into this. i appreciate it.
im a long time catch wrestling guy. was into that before jj through my high school wrestling coach. there were very few isolated places that taught it and i was lucky to be near one in florida. was a folk wrestler first. then catch and then jj.
my younger turned pro a couple years ago. he is into catch. ive gone down to south carolina to roll with him and the guys a few times. im 40 and out of shape. had a few work related injuries so now i am basically just a fan. i like to analyze fights though. its fun.
i remember when royce was tooling dudes in the early days. 2 things that made him successful imo was the fact that nobody knew # about jui jitsu back then and rickson was training him for those fights.

i agree with you about rickson showing me something in mma. only 10 pro fights...eh...

my dream fight was to be bas rutten vs rickson on tape....

if you notice in my posts about rickson i never try to talk him up like he is an mma bad ass. i strictly thing of rickson as pure jui jitsu. there was a time when i tried to devour everything i could read about him.
maybe a part of me just chooses to believe what i have read and heard but the fact is i do.
i put a lot of stock in certain fighters/grapplers words(not people like conor) so when i hear them talk about rickson as the best pure jitsu guy i believe it.
when i hear jj machado say that back in the day rickson used to line up dudes at the school he was at and just run through them 10 and 20 at a time i believe it.
i read an account of a greco wrestler that said rickson trained with/at his college a couple times(i forget which but mid west...big wrestling pedigrees out there) and he said rickson would tap everyone with ease.he would line them up and tell them how he was going to do it and then do it.
of course i have no proof other than things i have heard but i choose to believe it. i have not seen much to suggest it did not happen.

i have also read accounts and interviews with dudes from gracie humaita and gracie barra that say pretty much the same #. when you hit the mat with him it is like youre a baby.....i believe it.
either way it does not really make a difference. he will never fight mma again. it is what it is.

i remember the king of the streets marco ruas. i only saw him fight a couple times but he always struck me as a very intelligent fighter. i very much remember his foot stomps from the clinch. those add up you know.

i remember when ken shamrock fought royce in ufc 1(possibly 2) and royce tapped him in like 2 minutes...people just didnt know what to do. it is so cool to see how much the sport and cross training has evolved.
i remember art jimmerman showed up at that early ufc with a boxing glove on 1 hand....wtf you know

one thing you can say though is royce definitely caused people to take notice of the ground game. before then people thought jeet kun do was all you needed for a fight. we all see how that turned out for jason delucia.

even the people calling the fights back then didnt know what they were seeing. jeff blatnick said during one of royces fights that he was in trouble and about to be finished cause he was on his back. royce is the one that pulled guard and jeff just had no clue.

we owe an equal amount of debt to rorion gracie for the explosion of mma and bringing jui jitsu to the masses. ufc was his brain child and it was all about showcasing jui jitsu.

i love thinking about some of these old fights...
did you see sakuraba vs carlos newton? one of my all time favorite fights...they put on a grappling clinic man. it was beautiful.
i always loved josh barnett(obviosuly...hes a catch wrestler)
i loved takanori gomi

i temd to favor the ground specialists but i did love me some wanderlei silva.
he put the hurt on my boy sakuraba 3 times. each time i thought sakuraba was going to get him but it just didnt happen.

catch wrestling is catching on little by little. there are a few guys int he states and a few in japan that are pretty accomplished at it.
brutal submissions man....thats what it is all about

and i love sambo too. love me some leg locks

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

wanted to share a couple of my favorite submissions with you.
this is probably my number 1.
nick diaz put a beautiful gogoplata on takanori gomi and this was back when gomi was a force man.

i love nick and nate. nate was blazing all the time and lighting dudes up. anyone that likes to blaze and go do a decathalon for fun is ok in my book.
not usually into the # talkers but i give these guys a pass

i love this preuvian necktie. one of my favorite submissions.

a few years before my brother turned pro i got him with a necktie.....the very next time we threw he knocked me out. never been hit so hard in my life. he #ed me up man.
son of a bitch. im the older brother and i started showing him submissions when he was about 5 and now he can handle me any time he wants...

rumina sato's flying armbar.....beautiful

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
this is my brother

im proud of him. i never let him forget the days when i used to heel hook him...

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

I used to live out the back of a seafront pub, in a small room in a wooden structure. To get dinner, it was necessary to leave the pub by the back entrance, sometimes very late at night, or into the early morning, passing night clubbers as one left.

I have walked through the middle of more mass brawls, punch ups, knife fights and attempted bottle jobs, than most people see in a life time. These are real world scenarios, normal, regular people, in the real world, not looking to grapple, but to knock each other out, then cause permanent injury by stamping on someones head.

Grappling does not feature in real street fighting, does not feature in brawling, does not feature in sticking a broken bottle in someones neck or in a knifing. It literally ONLY appears, in my extensive experience of life on the streets and in the hard places, on the television, and in the ring.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
Mayweather is a boxer. We can probably assume that his fighting skills outside of that narrow discipline arent very good. He would win a boxing match. He loses any kind of full fight against McGregor.

Theres probably 10-15 angles with 6-7 other striking points that boxers dont train against. (Not including ground game fighting) Which is not to say boxers cant be very difficult to fight against. Just that on that level having an incomplete approach to martial arts usually means you lose.

Right. Boxing rules the OP put it Floyed 9 out of 10? Is that a joke? Mayweather would spank.....to put it short Mayweather would win very easily. MMA rules well that's a whole different ball game as most of us know. However, as much as I like Conor, he would be hard pressed to even shoot Mayweather quick enough for a take down and that's his only chance.

Personally I like Conor as a person and I dislike Mayweather as a person, and I would love to see Conor win and I'm not saying its not possible, but I think his chances are slim with MMA rules and zero with boxing rules. Reason? (Hint) the fight starts off with both standing

Also, it wouldn't make Mayweather look bad if he lost if it were MMA rules.

HOWEVER, I'm (literally) putting money on Conor if the fight happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join