It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

originally posted by: Annee
Like I said, I am not required to appease your criteria for valid.

Rude, Obnoxious, Bigot - - - stand on their own. They self describe.

Actually, you kind of are required to do so, if you wish to be taken seriously.

"Rude, obnoxious and bigoted" cover a wide spectrum of potential views.

I don't know... if one was ever taught manners by a parent, I think you could use that as a guideline. I suppose there may be some here who weren't raised by parents who taught them manners.

Well then if people were taught manners.

People wouldn't be going around calling others 'racist'.

Unless they are racist.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I don't know... if one was ever taught manners by a parent, I think you could use that as a guideline. I suppose there may be some here who weren't raised by parents who taught them manners.

And if people were taught manners, they wouldn't be racist in the first place.

Calling a Hispanic person a "spic" or "wetback" is rude and shows a lack of manners. Not to mention it IS racist.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
I will revert to an above quote by Ron White, "You can't fix stupid". Please enlighten me, how do you show someone that, not all black women are welfare queens, or that all Mexicans are not illegal? The less enlightened fully believe all of the stereotypes that have been placed out there, I am honestly not sure what the answer is.

The same way you can't convince others that not all white people are privileged, or that not all Jews are wealthy. Stereotypes exist for all groups of people, not just minorities. Nonetheless, the "less enlightened" should be allowed to believe in stereotypes and should be free to express their views, even if many don't agree with them.

You can't regulate how people think, but you can regulate how they act.

But it's ok for a certain group of people that shall remain nameless.

To go around sterotyping the rich,bankers,corporations, ceo's, gun owners, and 'conservatives' !!!!!

All American politics is the pot calling the kettle, 'Racist' or some other pejorative.

I digress one side is 'better' than the other!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Ok I get what you are saying. You have no intent on changing current laws. You are saying you are sick of people saying rude hateful offensive speach KNOWING full well it is rude and hatefull but then use "freedom of speach" as an excuse.

Am I right?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yeah they would be.

Since the people that continually go around throwing that word STILL uses it incorrectly.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

See, I could take offence at what you said by interpreting what you said as to mean I was raised by parents who didn't teach me manners. Therefore, I would interpret what you said as rude, even cunning as you chose to refer to the general "one" instead of "you" to avoid naming me directly, but still implied it with your sentence.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
Ok I get what you are saying. You have no intent on changing current laws. You are saying you are sick of people saying rude hateful offensive speach KNOWING full well it is rude and hatefull but then use "freedom of speach" as an excuse.

Am I right?

You put that nicely.

Don't we usually agree?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I will revert to an above quote by Ron White, "You can't fix stupid". Please enlighten me, how do you show someone that, not all black women are welfare queens, or that all Mexicans are not illegal? The less enlightened fully believe all of the stereotypes that have been placed out there, I am honestly not sure what the answer is.

The same way you can't convince others that not all white people are privileged, or that not all Jews are wealthy. Stereotypes exist for all groups of people, not just minorities. Nonetheless, the "less enlightened" should be allowed to believe in stereotypes and should be free to express their views, even if many don't agree with them.

You can't regulate how people think, but you can regulate how they act.

And in all equality, all of those that do not have those thoughts, should be free to express the view that they are racist. This is a circular argument, that no one can win, and things will continue to go down this path, once again until we have a drastic event that cools tempers, and puts things back in perspective.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Unless they are racist.

So what if someone is ?

That GD piece of paper says they can be.

As per the fourteenth says.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

www.law.cornell.edu...

In case people missed that LIBERTY.

In case they missed the fact that 'not liking' someone else IS NOT a crime,

Even though some are trying to make it one shouting 'racist' like the boy who cried wolf.

To the point now NO ONE pays any real attention to them.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This entire thing comes down to this:

Some people want to insult and degrade other people with words.

These same people don't want others to tell them that what they are saying is offensive and/or wrong.

These same people now get angry and upset when someone tells them that their comments are offensive and/or wrong.

It seems to me that the people who are anti-PC just want special rights or something? They want their cake and be able to eat it too?

Summary:

I want to be able to insult, degrade, and humiliate people without any consequences or anyone tellng me I am wrong to think and say what I say.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Yes, but then hopefully the friend next to you would say, dude chill. Kaylaluv is just saying it's rude and racist to call people wetbacks or spics. It's not good manners. No reason to take offense, unless... you're calling people wetbacks or spics? Jeez, I hope not.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sigh... So many still miss the point.

There is an alarming trend lately for people to feel entitled to be free of the repercussions of what they say. Freedom of speech never protected one from the fallout of stating an opinion.

Want to be a dick? Awesome! Godspeed in your endeavors.

Expect that you are somehow above being called out for said dickish behavior? Not a chance sunshine. In a just world you will own it. In this world you just might find yourself being force fed it all back from a person capable of making that happen.

The whole overly sensitive social justice, safe space stuff is unreasonable. But no more so than this trendy little idea that hate carries no consequences.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

And in all equality, all of those that do not have those thoughts, should be free to express the view that they are racist. This is a circular argument, that no one can win, and things will continue to go down this path, once again until we have a drastic event that cools tempers, and puts things back in perspective.

Here's the difference though: using racial stereotypes against another person harms them personally (hurts THEIR feelings); using words like racist/bigot/xenophobic/misogynist harms usually harms them professionally as well as socially, in addition to hurting their feelings.

See the difference?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Not saying you haven't ran into some real doosies. I think the generations above yours are kind of not liking what they are seeing from the participation trophy gen. Compared to the greatest generation the folks that lived through the depression and ww2 my gen is weak but what we see from yours is disturbing. Life's not fair brother a lot of that is they want to see you toughn up before you are ate up and spit out as an adult. PS no matter the laws I don't consider anyone an adult until around 25 to 30. Lots of life lessons from 18 to then. One last saying I like. If you wake up one day and meat an asswhole you most likely woke up that day and met an asswhole. If you wake up every day and meat an ass whole most likely you are the asswhole.
a reply to: christophoros

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

There is an alarming trend lately for people to feel entitled to be free of the repercussions of what they say. Freedom of speech never protected one from the fallout of stating an opinion.

How is that ?

The most hated groups of people come down to two words.

'Liberal' and 'conservative'. No other group even rates.

Which comes down to political speech.

And that is protected under the first amendment.

Freedom of Speech, and Expression.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Are you suggesting that political dissent is somehow unconstitutional?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
This entire thing comes down to this:

Some people want to insult and degrade other people with words.

These same people don't want others to tell them that what they are saying is offensive and/or wrong.

These same people now get angry and upset when someone tells them that their comments are offensive and/or wrong.

It seems to me that the people who are anti-PC just want special rights or something? They want their cake and be able to eat it too?

Summary:

I want to be able to insult, degrade, and humiliate people without any consequences or anyone tellng me I am wrong to think and say what I say.

It works both ways, though. Social justice warriors want to call anybody that offends their sensibilities a racist/homophobic/misogynist/xenophobic/[insert label here] without fear of consequences as well. They don't understand the power of words and what connotations those words can carry.

edit on 18/3/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Are you suggesting that political dissent is somehow unconstitutional?

What I clearly said.

When it comes to 'labels' there are only TWO that bear the brunt of 'bigotry'.

Liberal and conservative.

NO ONE is without that sin.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Here's the difference though: using racial stereotypes against another person harms them personally (hurts THEIR feelings); using words like racist/bigot/xenophobic/misogynist harms usually harms them professionally as well as socially, in addition to hurting their feelings.

See the difference?

That actually makes sense, but if they are sharing their ideas and feelings in a public forum, social media etc. They have invited the thought police upon themselves in a public arena, if their employer or social aquaintences feels that places them in a bad light, then the consequences are just. People have forgotten that their comments/thoughts have consequences, especially if shared in a public forum.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Funny that you'd perceive this in specific terms of bigotry when the actual implications and applications are much more broad-spectrum and not restricted to the singular issue.

However I will agree that bigotry is not exclusive to any one group. But I will qualify that with the fact that only one bigot is currently a front runner in a Presidential campaign. Thus the focus.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join