It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

This is the problem with these entitled conservatives who feel their demographic excuses them as these special snowflakes who can get away with loud anti-social behavior without being called out for it.

Well that was a bigoted comment to make.

link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

It is my opinion that those complaining about PC and hyphenated americans, would much rather use the n-word, the f-word, the c-word, and all of the other racial or ethnic slurs that would be censored or condemmed, as well as the gender slurs. Than to consider those people to be Americans. PC my ass, Trump has brought the bigots back in force.

How do you know what people would rather use? In the absence of a country-wide poll or psychic abilities, it is likely you don't know what people would use or how people would speak given the absence of PC-ness. Unless, of course, you are projecting, which is likely the case, and at the same time admitting you yourself would use those words if the fear of PC wasn't in place.
edit on 18-3-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: ClovenSky

So you want to stop free speech? You want to restrict what someone says because of how YOU react to those sound vibrations?

I do. I am so sick of the Free Speech crap.

Expressing yourself and your opinions is one thing.

Being rude, offensive, disgusting, bigoted, etc -- is another - - and using Free Speech in that context is just an excuse.

Wow, so where do you draw the line? I guess this could be a troll reply but I didn't see the /sarc tag.

How about the old fashion: "Do unto others . . . "

No, it was not sarcasm. I do not support the excuse of Free Speech to be hateful, rude, condemning, bigoted, etc.

So who gets to decide what is hateful, rude, condemning speech? You? Trump?

More extremism.

I'm atheist.

No it's a valid question. Answer please?

I have answered it. I am not responsible for accommodating your criteria for valid.

Rude, obnoxious, bigot, etc, etc, etc - - are all self explanatory - - there is no side.

Forcing those sentiments in the name of Free Speech is an excuse and extremism. It stands on its own.

No, you still havent answered the question.

Who gets to decide what is hateful, rude, condemning speech? You? Trump?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

PC attempts to just keep you from speaking, and worse, people can arbitrarily decide what is or is not racist or hateful without actually knowing a person's heart. It is used as a tactic to shut down meaningful discussion of ideas rather than as an actual means of improving anything about society.

I really don't think PC is a tactic to shutdown meaningful discussion. The OP described an encounter at a gas station. It wasn't a meaningful discussion he hoped to silence. It was simply disrespect that didn't need to be there.

In my experience encountering people like that... it's a one way street. They talk how they want to talk, make little racist remarks, best course of action- say nothing. If you object at all to the racism... it's an argument. So the best response there is silence.

It's not very "PC" to say people in the south cling to their bibles and guns, as Obama found out. People get angry by that.

I think it frustrates people to have the pressure to try to say what you feel without offending, but I don't think it suppresses discussion. If anything, it might allow discussion to be heard by learning how to avoid verbal landmines.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

So you want to stop free speech? You want to restrict what someone says because of how YOU react to those sound vibrations?

I do. I am so sick of the Free Speech crap.

Expressing yourself and your opinions is one thing.

Being rude, offensive, disgusting, bigoted, etc -- is another - - and using Free Speech in that context is just an excuse.

Wow, so where do you draw the line? I guess this could be a troll reply but I didn't see the /sarc tag.

How about the old fashion: "Do unto others . . . "

No, it was not sarcasm. I do not support the excuse of Free Speech to be hateful, rude, condemning, bigoted, etc.

So who gets to decide what is hateful, rude, condemning speech? You? Trump?

More extremism.

I'm atheist.

No it's a valid question. Answer please?

I have answered it. I am not responsible for accommodating your criteria for valid.

Rude, obnoxious, bigot, etc, etc, etc - - are all self explanatory - - there is no side.

Forcing those sentiments in the name of Free Speech is an excuse and extremism. It stands on its own.

No, you still havent answered the question.

Who gets to decide what is hateful, rude, condemning speech? You? Trump?

Like I said, I am not required to appease your criteria for valid.

Rude, Obnoxious, Bigot - - - stand on their own. They self describe.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right. By letting others express themselves, no matter how immoral or distasteful you find it, you are advocating for the rights of human beings. If you punch him, or otherwise breach the harm principle, you are suppressing basic human rights of human beings.

And don't forget.

ALL rights are EQUAL.

No one.

Not the state. Not our nextdoor neighbors have any 'right' what so ever to tell us what we can say or can't.

You are absolutely correct, I have no right to tell you what you can or can't say, but you have no right to tell me that I cannot call you a racist, a bigot, or a mysogynistic asshat for saying it. Amazing how that freedom of speech works.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Exactly, PC is thought control based in speech control, meant to shape the public opinion by only allowing certain words and phrases to be used in relation to certain topics.

Like how we can't refer to people who came to this country in violation of immigration law as illegal aliens or illegal immigrants even. They must be undocumented immigrants or workers because we are told it's "hateful" to refer to people as illegal.

So they use the "approved" words and phrases to shape our thoughts. Anyone who points out that people are living here in violation of immigration law are hateful, thus we are either bigots or hateful or both for simply pointing out a truth of a large segment of our population's reality - they are here in violation of the law of the land. That's not hate; that's truth.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Not the state. Not our nextdoor neighbors have any 'right' what so ever to tell us what we can say or can't.

Exactly right. I cannot think of one person who would even want that job to begin with. Who, in the history of the earth, has the authority, moral or otherwise, to determine what can or cannot be said by other human beings? No one.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

I have to admit, my favorite comics tell racist jokes all the time. I think it's funny. Racism is best left to comedy. Black, white, Mexican, Asian... a good racist joke can bring people together.

link   

You are absolutely correct, I have no right to tell you what you can or can't say, but you have no right to tell me that I cannot call you a racist, a bigot, or a mysogynistic asshat for saying it. Amazing how that freedom of speech works.

Name-calling is the lowest form of argument. It puts you on the same tier as those who you indignantly oppose.

link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

It's not very "PC" to say people in the south cling to their bibles and guns, as Obama found out. People get angry by that.

Then he turned around, and gave them 'right wing necons' clinging to their qu'rans, and religion. 'Assault weapons' and worse things he denies us.

That was very pc of him.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Here my idea, if you say anything with the intent of hurting someone, you are a douchebag! Forget PC. Just try not to hurt anyone else. If we ALL did this, the world would be GROOVY!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Exactly right. I cannot think of one person who would even want that job to begin with. Who, in the history of the earth, has the authority, moral or otherwise, to determine what can or cannot be said by other human beings? No one.

I completely agree, actually.

The only thing I would add is that with such a freedom comes great responsibility on the part of the individual.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: neo96

Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right. By letting others express themselves, no matter how immoral or distasteful you find it, you are advocating for the rights of human beings. If you punch him, or otherwise breach the harm principle, you are suppressing basic human rights of human beings.

And don't forget.

ALL rights are EQUAL.

No one.

It would be nice if people used 'racist' in the right correct sense.

I don't mind ad homenins from my critics. The last refuge of those with no argument.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

You put it very eloquently.

What that saying means is, people are jerks but as long as they are just using words, you don't have to let it hurt you the way physical harm hurts you. It doesn't mean "it's cool to be a jerk and say mean things to others!" which is what a lot of people on here seem to think.

That is what it may mean to you. But it means different things to different people. It all depends on your up bringing and that is a whole other thread. It can also mean don't take yourself so seriously, life is to short.

link   

I can

The left sure likes to think that.

Hence their whines about Fox News, and the 'fairness' doctrine, and Chicago was a nice example of that.

Always trying to silence speech they disagree with.

link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
a reply to: 123143

I have to admit, my favorite comics tell racist jokes all the time. I think it's funny. Racism is best left to comedy. Black, white, Mexican, Asian... a good racist joke can bring people together.

Then you have to wonder why next to no comedians will go onto college campuses these days. If comedy brings us together, you would think campuses would be constantly looking for comedians to play them, instead, comedians won't go there because they can't tell hardly any jokes for fear of offending the special snowflakes on campus.

So jokes do not bring people together anymore.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The problem with PC is it has become extreme PC and is now used as a political weapon, mainly by the far left, where anyone who disagrees or questions is automatically branded a racist, nazi, xenophobic, islamophobe whether they actually are or not.
It has reached the point where just about everything is racist or sexist and everyone is racist, sexist or islamophobic.
Now of course there are actual real racists and sexists who say offensive things and they are not very nice people but PC hasn't stopped them.
A bit of PC is fine, it's when it gets taken to extremes and is used to shut down debate and demonize all opposition to a political view where people get annoyed with it. And look at europe not just america where censorship is becoming reality.
And now I will be called a xenophobic, racist, nazi, islamophobic genocidal bigot guilty of hate speech lol.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well you still learn something on campus in the 21st century, it just has nothing to do with getting a real education.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Name-calling is the lowest form of argument. It puts you on the same tier as those who you indignantly oppose.

I would agree, but the people making racists remarks, are doing nothing more than name calling. Outside of education how would you try to change the behavior, that does nothing to try and close the gaps between different groups of folks. The deflection is strong with this one. He has now name-called me in proper grammar and terms equal to the same folks I am railing against.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join