It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

originally posted by: 123143

I love hanging out there. Reminds me of my childhood. Nothing was off-limits at the dinner table and PC was frowned upon.

If you didn't speak your mind you were considered a chickens**t.

THAT is the America I love, miss, and adore.

I agree and I think the good thing is, that will always exist among friends and certain family. People you can just speak your mind to, unfiltered, without judgment. I just think when the talk is open to hundreds or thousands or lots of diversities, we have to imagine how they are receiving it.

Some people get super sensitive. I know I can be super insensitive without even realizing it and hurt a friend's feelings. In that sense, the PC-ish culture I think helps people be more compatible across diversities. But I think remaining backward compatible is important too and not get all PC police on someone for no reason.

I have a difficult time with PC. In my era, you could come under crabapple attack at any time. Profanity and names were expected!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras
a reply to: christophoros

Lol, so other assholes hurt your feelings, so the rest of us need to not have our first amendment rights?

Well that isn't going to fly, the problem isn't antipc, it is the push to be PC.

Sry snowflake, but nobody cares about your pathetic little feelings getting hurt. Get over it, people do it every day.

What is it with you kids and thinking that getting your feelings hurt is the same or worse than physical harm?

Next time a tornado happens, tell it to stop, it's hurting your feelings, bunch of crybabies!

1st amendment? Are you confusing this with some sort of armor against criticism? Are you being arrested for your bigotry?

This is the problem with these entitled conservatives who feel their demographic excuses them as these special snowflakes who can get away with loud anti-social behavior without being called out for it.

It is simple: if you are going to be a racist or all-around bigot, don't cry when somebody makes fun of you for it or tells you that you are being an ass. Do none of you see the irony with that?

It's like "Waaaah, people don't like what I am saying and it gives me sads!" I've never met a politically correct person match some of the whiny crybaby racists I see crying about being held to the standards of modern civility.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

What is not does not liking pseudo-NAZIs have to do with Conservatism? If someone doesn't want to hang around me because I am insensitive that is one thing, but it has nothing to do with political leanings. I would make a terrible conservative or liberal because neither of them value personal liberty.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

You put it very eloquently.

What that saying means is, people are jerks but as long as they are just using words, you don't have to let it hurt you the way physical harm hurts you. It doesn't mean "it's cool to be a jerk and say mean things to others!" which is what a lot of people on here seem to think.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Abysha

What is not does not liking pseudo-NAZIs have to do with Conservatism? If someone doesn't want to hang around me because I am insensitive that is one thing, but it has nothing to do with political leanings. I would make a terrible conservative or liberal because neither of them value personal liberty.

So are you saying that I'm not using the correct word? Careful now, that sounds a lot like a PC complaint to me.

edit on 18-3-2016 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Great post young man! Rest assured most people aren't like these ignoramuses you encountered.

Trump has truly released a beast that many will take the opportunity to empower their dark side in a naïve attempt to be "politically incorrect"

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What that saying means is, people are jerks but as long as they are just using words, you don't have to let it hurt you the way physical harm hurts you. It doesn't mean "it's cool to be a jerk and say mean things to others!" which is what a lot of people on here seem to think.

Absolutely right. Free speech isn't an excuse for indecency and vulgarity. It's a precious right, indeed, but so dignity.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: ClovenSky

So you want to stop free speech? You want to restrict what someone says because of how YOU react to those sound vibrations?

I do. I am so sick of the Free Speech crap.

Expressing yourself and your opinions is one thing.

Being rude, offensive, disgusting, bigoted, etc -- is another - - and using Free Speech in that context is just an excuse.

Wow, so where do you draw the line? I guess this could be a troll reply but I didn't see the /sarc tag.

How about the old fashion: "Do unto others . . . "

No, it was not sarcasm. I do not support the excuse of Free Speech to be hateful, rude, condemning, bigoted, etc.

So who gets to decide what is hateful, rude, condemning speech? You? Trump?

More extremism.

I'm atheist.

No it's a valid question. Answer please?

I have answered it. I am not responsible for accommodating your criteria for valid.

Rude, obnoxious, bigot, etc, etc, etc - - are all self explanatory - - there is no side.

Forcing those sentiments in the name of Free Speech is an excuse and extremism. It stands on its own.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
. . . entitled conservatives . . .

I like it.

Simple, but oh so on point.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It is my opinion that those complaining about PC and hyphenated americans, would much rather use the n-word, the f-word, the c-word, and all of the other racial or ethnic slurs that would be censored or condemmed, as well as the gender slurs. Than to consider those people to be Americans. PC my ass, Trump has brought the bigots back in force.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Somebody said once that people can say what they want but they have to be willing to suffer the consequences when they say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Why?

PC does as much to stifle speech as anything else.

Understand, a true racist doesn't stop being racist just because you impose speech codes on him or her. All that happens is that you don't know who and what you are dealing with.

When the racist speaks out and you are left with no doubt, then you can either seek to engage him or her and convince them of the error of his or her ways -or- you can avoid him or her entirely, but at least you know exactly who you are dealing with.

It's sort of like this:

Lee: I like to let people talk who like to talk. It lets me find out how full of # they are.
Carter: What the hell did you just say?
- Rush Hour

PC attempts to just keep you from speaking, and worse, people can arbitrarily decide what is or is not racist or hateful without actually knowing a person's heart. It is used as a tactic to shut down meaningful discussion of ideas rather than as an actual means of improving anything about society.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

When we were little kids we were taught ....sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me.

Besides, did the "sticks and stones" speech I'm sure most of us got from our parents work?

NO!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

I don't want any such things.

And it most definitely IS your opinion and it is based on some colossal assumptions.

I think PC is simply another brand of the same intolerance you like to accuse others of having.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Besides, did the "sticks and stones" speech I'm sure most of us got from our parents work?

NO!

Actually, yes it did. If it didn't for you, then you must care about the opinion of total strangers more than the opinion of those who really matter.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I don't want any such things.

And it most definitely IS your opinion and it is based on some colossal assumptions.

I think PC is simply another brand of the same intolerance you like to accuse others of having.

I took the responsibility of saying it was MY opinion, and is based on no colossal assumptions, you know nothing about my life or the people I deal with everyday, so who is actually making the assumptions, nice try at deflecting from the bigots I deal with on a daily basis.

Don't deflect your delusions onto me, if you offend me, I will tell you straight up. My tolerance level is very high, until it comes to stupid people, and you can't fix stupid, according to Ron White.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

NO!

Actually, yes it did. If it didn't for you, then you must care about the opinion of total strangers more than the opinion of those who really matter.

Really?

And at what age am I supposed to have this worldly acceptance of that understanding?

Total strangers? What little kid is affected by what total strangers say? Its usually their siblings or classmates.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I had a conversation with a couple about my candidate.

They were liberals who appreciated PC.

The subject quickly turned to trump and his Trumpers.

I made the comparison of a southern poor kid full of ignorance towards other cultures and that of a ghetto kid full of the same.

The guy was really cool and understood what I was saying. That we can be patient and understanding of the ghetto kid and see that his situation in life limits him at least to what he was born to. BUT we cut the young poor guy in the sticks no slack because he is white and supposedly so much better off.

The woman went off into a VERY hateful rant about the problems with poor white people being racist bigots.

The guy tried to make the example of sexist ghetto culture towards women. Or their racist tendencies.

She went mad.

He was PC but was first and foremost beyond labels.

She was PC and reveled in them.

The guy and me looked at each other and being a married man, I made her have the win and he was relieved.....only way to end the conversation like adults.

Her intolerance blinded her to the disenfranchisement of one group based along those trenches her cult dug.

How is a southern uneducated guy expected to see the light when those who are educated and there to bring us out of ignorance treat him like assholes for being and living all he ever knew?

The guy would have treated a ghetto kid being an ass the same as a poor sticks kid. A solution may be seen through his ideals. He would just set an example.

She would have given a golden ticket to the ghetto kid and MAYBE offered a correction to him. She would have maybe had the sticks kid beat up or worse.

PC culture is a psyop. It divides us. EDUCATION and sensible people are the solution. They dont use labels and think for themselves.

End PC culture.

edit on 3 18 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right. By letting others express themselves, no matter how immoral or distasteful you find it, you are advocating for the rights of human beings. If you punch him, or otherwise breach the harm principle, you are suppressing basic human rights of human beings.

And don't forget.

ALL rights are EQUAL.

No one.

Not the state. Not our nextdoor neighbors have any 'right' what so ever to tell us what we can say or can't.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Likewise, you know nothing about me. You are the one who said anyone who doesn't like PC just wants to be obscene and spout vulgarities and slurs.

I happen to not like PC but I certainly also don't like vulgarities and slurs.

However, at the end of the day, the only person you control is yourself, and attempting to impose speech codes to make certain thoughts or words criminal takes away from the exchange of ideas.

Do it enough and sooner or later, we'll all be speaking a version of Newspeak.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join