It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Anti-PC war has got to stop

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: 123143
a reply to: spiritualzombie

You may call me retard at any time you like. Most of the time I am a retard.

I don't think so much of myself that I will deny it or be offended by it.

Ha! I'm poorly educated! I think that's better than a retard.

Wait a minute, isn't it bad to call someone a name if you feel they are beneath you?

I can't believe there are people that think they are better than me and insult me for it.

Clearly someone has something wrong, when they preach equality and then make sure you know you are not equal.

There is a wide difference between intelligent and educated. I am nothing special, would hope that I have never made anyone feel lessor than I was.

Not picking on you for that at all.

And yes, big diff between educated and intelligent.

A little bit of learning is a dangerous thing.

But you have to admit that there are A LOT of "enlightened" people that think they are better and know better.

I would whole heartedly agree, I have no college degree, and have been looked down on because of it for a long time. I have always made a living, and the last time it was tested, an IQ of 168.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Great Thread ! " Know your Audience ".....that's something most comedians and entertainers understand. Politically incorrectness can be really funny, and under the best circumstances can be a way that people deal with the awkwardness of our own "humanity". I don't know why when my Dad and his old buddies get together they call each other "old bastards", but they do and they also tend to use more "colorful" language.

I can totally see members of my family and friends inviting someone into the "circle" so to speak, by being somewhat "insulting"..I know that sounds weird, but to them it's a term of endearment.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: christophoros

A little more than half a century ago, 21 year olds Jumped out of a landing craft into water up to their necks carrying a hundred pounds of gear. Under a hail of withering machine gun fire they waded to the beach. Despite watching half of their buddies die, they did their jobs. When the second wave waded ashore they found the number of casualties to be so high that they effectively had the first wave's job to do. And they did it. They got off the beach, scaled the cliffs, and advanced.

Suck it up, buttercup.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm sorry, all i could think of upon viewing this thread was this again!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbarnhart

A little more than half a century ago, 21 year olds Jumped out of a landing craft into water up to their necks carrying a hundred pounds of gear. Under a hail of withering machine gun fire they waded to the beach. Despite watching half of their buddies die, they did their jobs. When the second wave waded ashore they found the number of casualties to be so high that they effectively had the first wave's job to do. And they did it. They got off the beach, scaled the cliffs, and advanced.

Suck it up, buttercup.

While I was never called for that duty, I signed my name on that line, and served for 7 years. Unlike you, I didn't get that the OP was whining, but sharing a personal experience. While I have been out of the military for a long time, I am pretty sure that the 21 YO's that sign their name to that line, would do the same thing. 50 years ago they were drafted, today they volunteer, I do believe you are comparing apples to oranges.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbarnhart

Suck it up, buttercup.

Oh, I forgot. When somebody goes through a hellish experience like war, everybody else loses their right to complain about anything ever again.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

No, it's more designed for you to put your complaints into perspective.

Yeah, yeah, whether or not your little darling is subjected to the trauma of a politically incorrect utterance at the school's holiday party seems like the end of all things, but not so long ago, people were fighting a global war and enduring unthinkable carnage as a matter of course in their everyday lives.

I wonder how your complaints that little Johnny heard someone unthinkingly utter Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays which will now scar him for life would sound like to someone who watched his buddy bleed out while holding his intestines in?

But no one said you couldn't complain. That's not what I got out of it at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Abysha

Yeah, yeah, whether or not your little darling is subjected to the trauma of a politically incorrect utterance at the school's holiday party seems like the end of all things, but not so long ago, people were fighting a global war and enduring unthinkable carnage as a matter of course in their everyday lives.

I wonder how your complaints that little Johnny heard someone unthinkingly utter Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays which will now scar him for life would sound like to someone who watched his buddy bleed out while holding his intestines in?

But no one said you couldn't complain. That's not what I got out of it at all.

Maybe we all put our complaints into perspective. Makes some that exist today seem very trivial. My little Johnny is 38 this year, my youngest 26, all 5 of them making their own lives. The OP was subjected to verbal and physical abuse by a stranger, and you will defend a stranger, says alot about your mindset.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This country, the US, is like the old Soviet Union now.

If you want to express a candid opinion you must lock the door, pull the blind, and turn up the radio just so you can whisper in your wife's ear. It's ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to ignore what offends you and move on?

People need to stop being such crybabies.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
This country, the US, is like the old Soviet Union now.

If you want to express a candid opinion you must lock the door, pull the blind, and turn up the radio just so you can whisper in your wife's ear. It's ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to ignore what offends you and move on?

People need to stop being such crybabies.

I will not disagree with you, but some need to stop being assholes.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Where is PC principal when you need him?

Just be yourself and accept who you are and what you believe in.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Another angle...

These "anti-PC" people might be upset because what the things they say they, themselves, don't consider racist or hateful.

Perhaps these people are so convinced in their racial, or social superiority they feel that they are justified in saying what they do, and are flabbergasted/frustrated when called out?

Maybe the hate and ignorance is so deeply believed an ingrained that they truly, honestly don't feel that they've said anything offensive? They're simply ... "telling it like it is"?

I mean, that would be like me saying that cats and dogs living together is a bad idea (the dog might eat the cat while I'm at work) -- and then people being upset with me. I'd be very confused as to why someone would think that was offensive.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't go on some tirade about how those people are infringing upon my ability to espouse about cats and dogs. I wouldn't care, honestly. I said what I said and some people were offended. Whatever, that's on them. Those people can choose to be offended or not, and if they are -- that was their choice.

It's also MY CHOICE to respond with indifference to their outrage. And in general, most people speak from a position of ignorance. Only a very small percentage of insults hurled at anyone come from a place of true knowledge and understanding. Why would I get upset if someone makes a blanket, uninformed statement about me being a "cat-dog racist!"...?

This is called being a mature adult, taking responsibility for your words, and realizing what others do or say has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

edit on 18-3-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So, it looks like the effiminisation of all segments of American Males is near complete. I honestly thought males of Hispanic descent would be some of the last to fall, but apparently not. It's disheartening to see that a culture that gave us the term Machismo has degenerated into the special snowflakeism demonstrated in the OP.

I know this is a bit harsh, but I don't really blame you. Someone in your life failed you. Your father most likely, either through absence or neglect, and if he wasn't around, your mother or whatever woman raised you failed to expose you to men who had enough masculinity to toughen you up enough to be able to deal with people saying mean things to you. Your teachers and coaches also failed you by not being hard enough on you, but public education is little more than PC indoctrination nowadays anyway. If by some chance you went to private school your parents really wasted their money.

Life is hard kid, better toughen up now while there is still a chance to change. No one who has a priority other than you, cares how you feel. This means anyone other than a parent, spouse, sibling, or some as close as one of those. Everyone else has other goals, and you are either an obstacle or aid in them achieving those priorities. Even when you like and agree with that other, they are not obligated to cater to your feelings in their objective.

Every generation experiences some derision from older generations in their cultural experiences, I see that as I age. My elders gasped in horror as we spent as much time in the summer on a SNES as we did in the yard playing ball, and ribbed us mercilessly about it, and they were right to do so.Time is the greatest contributor to wisdom; I see that now. I do wish I'd spent more time trying to figure out the opposite sex, playing ball, or even fishing and then prepping those fish for the frying pan instead of squashing turtles with Mario. I fell exactly how you describe when viewing you generation though. One of my own greatest fears when I criticize you guys is I fear you guys won't be up to snuff when we hit some real adversity like a Depression, Massive Natural or Man Made Disaster, or War and you have to do what has to be done to survive on every sociological level from individual through family, community, and nation on up to Species level impacting events.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I think we chat about this a while back, but I can't take that last sentence all too seriously. If someone were to truly believe that and apply that to all their interactions with people, they wouldn't be a mature adult, they would be somewhat of a pathological character. I do get that a lot of times people speak more about their selves and their own issues than the person they claim to have an issue with, but I also know that entirely disregarding other people's opinions without assessing their validity leads down a similar path. We would show more about ourselves than the other in doing so.

I most definitely filter out a lot of people's day to day conversations, because it is ridiculous chatter, but am also aware even the lowest of characters, in between their vitriol, can show me something about myself I would otherwise have missed. Sometimes we stand too close to our selves, it's better to have another mind echo what was trying to surface for some time yet. If I were to dismiss the actions and words of others outright as having nothing to do with myself, I would not be as far along as I am today.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

By advocating political correctness, you are making racism, bigotry and other indecencies more powerful than they actually are, and this is a form of superstition.

How can you make something more powerful than it is?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I don't think you have it quite right...

If you state an opinion of me, that's your opinion formed by you based upon your unique view of reality.

My circumstances and experiences in life create a different viewpoint of the world around me, and thus color my perception of reality in a different shade than yours.

What you believe, say, or do is a reflection of your perspective on reality. It doesn't mean I automatically dismiss it, and it doesn't mean I don't consider it important or less "real". It simply means that hateful or hurtful things generally do not truly represent me as I am -- for that person saying them isn't me.

We say things we do because of what we go through and experience in life. Each one of us sees and hears different things. My interpretation of things isn't more valid than yours, and you shouldn't take what I say personally either, nor do I expect you to. You can, of course if you want to.

I, in turn, also can choose what I accept and make a part of my world. We already are doing this, 99% of us are unaware of it though. We make decisions on a moment-by-moment basis of what we choose to believe and accept. If we accepted everything we heard or saw, we'd probably not make it very far in life. We'd most likely be taken advantage of very early in life.

When someone comes after me with negativity, I don't want it. They can throw it at me, but I won't willingly hold out my hands to catch it. They get that negativity off their chest and feel better, and I walk away without it poisoning me and giving me something I too now need to get rid of. It actually is the more compassionate thing to do. It breaks the cycle of negativity.
edit on 18-3-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

So , your still here right ? Not Dead , but Still Alive ? You Dealt with it then .

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What do you mean when you say it was designed to put a complaint into perspective? Are you saying that someone should consider what it is they're saying - and place some kind of relative value on it? Are you saying that some people are in a position to assign value to what others say?

Who are these people?
edit on 3/18/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
Who are these people?

Anyone with an audience.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Anyone with an audience.

I'd say it's anyone with an opinion

:-)

We're all free to have and to express our opinions

Pretending that political correctness belongs to only one group of people is a little transparent

This anti-PC movement is kinda like watching someone try to eat their own tongue
edit on 3/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join