It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live better on Welfare then I ever did working!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
The difference here is that before, you were a participating member of our society. You are now a leech on the system when you CAN be supporting yourselves. You can support yourself, you are able to support yourself, but instead...you made a conscious decision to steal from government assistance and in turn, steal from all of us that continue to work.

If you think leech was a tough word...I have quite a bit more for a blood-sucking thief that DECIDED to steal from me and my children by not supporting yourself.

But I'll hold my tongue.

Whoa.

He's got a job. It's not like he isn't working. Heck, he's probably working harder than he would be in whatever field he is educated for. Would you rather this guy was a CEO producing nothing and making millions to keep jobs in China?
edit on 2-1-2015 by DrJunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Realtruth

I work in the housing industry these days and can tell you that section 8 pays huge portions of the rent, and to any landlord that is approved and will accept it, if the tenant can't pay the full amount they are responsible for the remainder. For instance if the rent is $1,200.00 section eight may pay for $800.00 of it.

How often is the wait list opened to new listings, if you don't mind my asking? How many years is the wait list for families in your area? Where I live, the wait list has been closed for the past 4 years, and there is an approximate 9 year wait for those who ARE on the list.

Disabled veterans and elderly over the age of 82 get first priority.

Popping back in to say that in Florida, it's still not a quick thing for seniors. My grandmother waited 3 years to get HUD assistance in the 90's. Eventually, the complex she lived in no longer accepted HUD, and adjusted rents for normal rates. They kept hers at her rate post-voucher so she wouldn't be homeless, but said she only could stay there until a new place was found & a new application approved -- the followed her application progress closely to make sure she wasn't lying about it. She waited for over 3 years that time and told them never mind last year, as she inherited some money from late relatives & it went to a cross-country move instead.

In other words, they're at the top of the list, yes, but unless that elderly person is homeless or will be homeless imminently, it's still a very, very slow process. I'm having a lot of difficulty believing the OP's claim that they got theirs lickity split.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
So you took out $160,000 in loans, got your Masters which everyone would love to have, and instead of doing something useful with it and doing everything you can to pay back the loan, including borrowing from other family members, you decide to go on welfare so that you can get the loan forgiven, and taking advantage of all of those benefits. The immorality of this situation astounds me. Some quick math shows me that if you were to do this for just 20 years, it would cost the taxpayers over $1 million.

Imagine if everyone were to do what you do.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusPrime12
Imagine if everyone were to do what you do.

If everyone were to do what he did, we would get some reform in this country, that's for sure.

But, until then, I'm fully supportive, and will continue to work to support anyone that wants to make use of the system we have in place. Why not? It's there to be used. Don't want our money being used to subsidize other people, let's change some rules, starting with the Corporate Welfare schemes that milk us for hundreds of billions of dollars every year in lost earnings.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Congrats to you and your wife in becoming useless bums. Oh boo hoo things are hard so we are going to quit our jobs and let the government take care of us. Why don't you give your kids to your parents because raising kids is a hard job too. Then again don't give them to your parents seeing how poorly they prepared you to face the world when you grew up.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DrJunk

Why not? It's there to be used.

Yes it is there to be used not exploited which is what he and his wife is doing. Did you overlook the part that both he and his wife were gainfully employed and then chose to quit their jobs they weren't fired or got laid off.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: DrJunk

Why not? It's there to be used.

Yes it is there to be used not exploited which is what he and his wife is doing. Did you overlook the part that both he and his wife were gainfully employed and then chose to quit their jobs they weren't fired or got laid off.

So? Was that against the law?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
I don't think there is a law that states you can't receive the Govt goodies if you willfully left your jobs.

It truly appears that they have gamed the system, unfortunately, working within the limits of the law.

This is an example of exactly how people work this.

It shows what a farce life under Govt help has become.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wasn't going to comment, yet I saw the level of negatvivity towards the OP and I can't idly stand by any longer.

Every person on this thread who has stood in judgement at the OP and his situation should hang their heads.

It is the system letting him and everybody else down.

The system allows him to do this, the system doesn't support working families until you earn a certain percentage, this requires less time with your kids (unless you happen to be in a really good job that pays top buck for little to no input).

Let me tell you now, not only is the same thing happening in the UK right now (people have little option but to claim certain benefits, whilst working) but after working in a school and seeing first hand the problems caused by parents who do nothing but ship their children to childcare out of necessity to feel smug about standing on their own two feet, are the very parents doing the most damage to their kids and the next generation in turn.

See, it's not all about money, it's about caretaking and nurturing the next generation, you can't do that with a couple of snatched hours on your day off, buying them with sweets, treats and trips.

It's not about playing the system, it's about prioritising what is important at life...any of you feeling cheated are only reacting out of a misguided sense of what you were brought up to believe, should you still be too selfish and ignorant to see past the "Oh but I pay my taxes and work hard so you can sponge!" perhaps lack the capacity to understand, the greatest gift you can give to a child is your time and in turn they shall mostly reward you and society by reaching for the stars.
edit on 2-1-2015 by solargeddon because: Typo

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Funny. I'm disabled and have full access to just about every benefit there is and my lifestyle is NOTHING like what is described in the OP. First off, I don't even bother with food stamps because my SSDI means I would only get $24.00 per month in benefits. By the time I paid a cab to get me 20 miles up the road to apply, and back, I'd already be in the negative for at least three out of the six months.

I am not allowed to own property worth more than $2,000 total. I cannot own a car. If I were to obtain one, even free, the value would be deducted from my future disability payments. This is in spite of the fact that I live in a county that has no public transportation.

I cannot own a home, of any kind. I rent a basement from a relative.

I cannot have any income at all. If I earn a single dollar I have to report it and it would be deducted from my next SSDI payment.

These facts are just the tip of things, there is much more.

I get zero in "welfare" - nothing in addition to base Social Security.

The one useful thing I do get is Medicaid ( which will upgrade to Medicare after a period of time ) which allows me to get my prescription medication at a very affordable price.

Now maybe states are different. Maybe welfare and disability are different. Or maybe the OP is seeking to create a false impression of how the poor of this nation live to create animosity towards them. I cannot say whatever the case. I can only say that, as a person who is truly reliant upon the system, my life is NOTHING like what is described in the OP.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

I completely disagree. The problem is public awareness. Anyone who lives with a 'hand-out' of any type and aren't homeless should be. They should have to live exactly like a homeless person does.

Which is why I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden

Personally, I think you should write a handbook

One has been rumored to exist for as long as I can remember, yet I've never seen it.

edit on 2-1-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Before I leave this thread, I want to make something perfectly clear. I am, and have always been an advocate for the poor, mentally ill, and disabled. I will continue to be through fundraisers, advocacy, and my private pockets.

So I've seen a great deal of poverty. Please understand that even when I see $1500 per month being used to rescue someone's "middle class" lifestyle, I can't help but think what I could do with that money.

~Have someone's power cut back on. Or water, or heating.
~Have someone's car repaired because they can't get to work anymore and are about to lose their job.
~Have a prescription filled for someone who can't afford to purchase their medications.
~Feed a family for several months.
~Buy clothes and shoes.

Need I go on? Instead, this money is being used to purchase "a middle class" lifestyle", for someone who could accomplish that on their own. They can do what everybody else does, learn to live within their means.

So yeah. I resent it.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden

You must have gotten a degree in Anthropology or something like that..

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

The difference here is that before, you were a participating member of our society. You are now a leech on the system when you CAN be supporting yourselves. You can support yourself, you are able to support yourself, but instead...you made a conscious decision to steal from government assistance and in turn, steal from all of us that continue to work.

If you think leech was a tough word...I have quite a bit more for a blood-sucking thief that DECIDED to steal from me and my children by not supporting yourself.

But I'll hold my tongue.

Whoa.

He's got a job. It's not like he isn't working. Heck, he's probably working harder than he would be in whatever field he is educated for. Would you rather this guy was a CEO producing nothing and making millions to keep jobs in China?

These people can support themselves...proven. They have decided instead to milk the system and take from it, instead of supporting themselves. The support system is there for people who can't...not people who won't.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

These people can support themselves...proven. They have decided instead to milk the system and take from it, instead of supporting themselves. The support system is there for people who can't...not people who won't.

Actually, the system is there for people who qualify for it.

These people qualify for subsidies, just like Target, GE, Walmart, and many other corporations that take hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

It all depends on how you play the game. What have you really gained, if you manipulate and cheat? If you don't mind being that person............ fine. You have to live with yourself. And to do that in good conscience? No better than the thieves on Wallstreet.

"For mine own good, all causes shall give way.
W. Shakespeare

This is about narcissistic entitlement. Not my favorite thing.
edit on 1/2/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Actually, the system is there for people who qualify for it.

These people qualify for subsidies, just like Target, GE, Walmart, and many other corporations that take hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies.

I don't have a problem with anyone using the programs if they need them. Note the keywords: need them. We needed help with food for a while, and we did apply & use the assistence. We don't anymore, because we don't need it. We could certainly qualify for a few hundred, but we can feed ourselves without falling short for part of the month now. Thus, we're not milking it for the eff of it because we can.

I despise people who think just because the loopholes exist that means they should milk it. When you can swing it on your own, that's not indicative of good judgement. That's plain old selfishness & greed. The system doesn't exist to prop that ish up, it exists to help people who truly do need it. The OP doesn't need it, the OP needs to learn how to be financially independent & run their finances like a boss. Not a sponge.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

It all depends on how you play the game. What have you really gained, if you manipulate and cheat?

Are you accusing this person of breaking the law? If you aren't then all you are doing is judging someone else without the moral high ground to stand upon.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join