It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I live better on Welfare then I ever did working!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I love the humanity this thread brings out.

Here is what I am reading: Basically it is ok to give money for years, decades, even a lifetime.... but when you actually start asking for some of it back it is theft from everyone still paying and you get a foot stomped on your face... I love it! Now get back to work everyone so you can think you're paying into someone elses benefits and not your own....

LOL.... it's better than d00m pr0n.

Now if you excuse me, I need to add some names to the FEMA Camp guest list. muahahaha!
edit on 5-1-2015 by Volund because: not trying to be rude.... well maybe.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
PS: So what are you implying? That the money taken from the people becomes the government's money or the recipient's money? If someone steals from me and spends that money...yes...it is still mine. And when a government throws our money away without even verifying that it goes to the right parties...yes...they are wasting my money. Oh yes...the government WANTS the recipients to believe the money is the government's...but it isn't. It is the people's. And when it is wasted...it is the government wasting the people's money. I'm sure MOST people feel the same way.

Tax money is not yours. You agree to give it to the government in exchange for getting to take advantage of the nations infrastructure, defense, and economy.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: nonspecific

I wasn't saying that it should be the right of the privileged few, but in the current economy that's what it is and it's wrong. There's two camps in the US, there's the people in the top few percent that can afford their kids, and then there's a whole lot of people lower, that have the majority of the children and they need assistance to cover them. I don't know why it is, but it's a global phenomenon.

This portion of you post gets to the heart of the matter and explains the problem.

Way back when, most jobs paid a comfortable ish living wage, there was a minimum surplus you could guarantee from even the lowest paid jobs which gave you the opportunity to have children without the need for subsidised support.

We don't live in that world anymore.

Nowadays low income has to be topped up with welfare support allowise by the time you have paid bills, where is the money to support living in the current time period.

As private utilities raise unit prices with no regard for being out of step to income, this is just one of the ways ordinary people with ordinary jobs have found themselves on the ropes.

The there is childcare expenses, working in childcare is a thankless task here in the UK you can train to work in childcare, yet it doesn't pay the bills and leave you with much left over, so many school leavers train in this area because of lack of academic acumen, or have a genuine desire to work with children, only to find themselves having trained into a job which isn't a job for life, it's a job before you leave home and have to enter the real world.

And yet those paying for childcare are just as worse off as those supplying it because it eats into their income, here in the UK they pay 80% towards childcare costs, yet that is still 20% you have to find on top of everything else.

Then there is quality of life, you want your children to have a work ethic, but not at the expense of loosing their favourite toy X (the parent) amount of hours per week, just to make ends meet, children never thank the parent who isn't around for them when they need advice, or direction because they were too tired to listen, or just plain absent working when the child needed the help.

And so people have to make this very real decision, work every hour God sends to make ends meet sacrificing their relationships for little no benefit.

Or....

Take a step back while their young, work, but give children the grounding they need to go on to hopefully superceede your predicament when they have children, with you picking up where you left off once you are no longer required to be around, yes you might be getting financial assistance, but if working full time wasn't paying financially and harming/compromising the potential of the family unit why would anyone do it, surely that just makes you a martyr.

The spiralling cost of rent and owning you own home are beyond the reach of many in the UK now and that is people on half decent wages affected to boot.

I don't think it's about people getting to a certain income level before being able to have kids, I think it's about an honest days work for an honest days pay, pro-rata so that those with children don't need financial assistance because even a part time income pays enough to keep the family finances covered.

Unfortunately utopia doesn't exist.

edit on 5-1-2015 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2015 by solargeddon because: Typos, typos, typos

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Tax money is not yours. You agree to give it to the government in exchange for getting to take advantage of the nations infrastructure, defense, and economy.

I don't recall making any agreements. Taxation is legalized theft. Most of the respondents to this thread are directing their anger to the wrong party. He already paid into the system, and will again, why can't he collect what is rightfully his money? Face it, the system doesn't work for you, or anybody else, really. Be mad at the system! He's not stealing from you, the government is!

I may not be religious, but I can clearly see why "pride" is supposedly one of the 7 deadly sins. Pride translates into, "I'm TOO GOOD for this or that", in this case, and what does that make you? You're no better than anybody else on this forum. We're ALL just trying to survive, the best way we know how, in a system not designed to benefit us in the slightest, and here some of you are, blaming EACH OTHER, while you ignore those who are truly at fault, because you've been lied to about what the problems are and who perpetuates them. The problem is not this man, or others like him, and I think most of you know that, on some level.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I may not be religious, but I can clearly see why "pride" is supposedly one of the 7 deadly sins. Pride translates into, "I'm TOO GOOD for this or that", in this case, and what does that make you? You're no better than anybody else on this forum. We're ALL just trying to survive, the best way we know how, in a system not designed to benefit us in the slightest, and here some of you are, blaming EACH OTHER, while you ignore those who are truly at fault, because you've been lied to about what the problems are and who perpetuates them. The problem is not this man, or others like him, and I think most of you know that, on some level.
a reply to: azamber

Yeah, another person who gets the OP's premise, this is exactly right, don't hate the player hate the game, because people wouldn't do these things if all was fair.

It is never going to be fair, so people do what they do to maximise their quality of life without losing themselves in the process.

All those who earn top dollar, or believe they are in the position to pour scorn on those who do require assistance should remember, they are in that position, because the very people they judge allow them to be there, by not having taken their role in the first place....ooh another paradox! ish

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: PaladinRoden

This post sickens me. I have seen plenty of ridiculous posts on this site but this one takes the cake!

The OP is a LIAR! And their lies should be removed or at least noted as straight lies!

I lived in Texas for many years. I remember being a young mother of two small children when their father abandoned us and left us with rent due, bills due, no food in house, and no money in the bank. Luckily I received some help from my family, but they could not carry us forever. I had no vehicle, and although I lived in a fairly big city in Texas, there was no public transportation. I know that has improved now in most areas of Texas but not all. I did have to reach out for public assistance temporarily, so I am very familiar with the system in Texas. I am also currently a caseworker, assisting others with applying for Medicaid now, so I am still very familiar with the system.

Let's list the lies the OP has posted.

1. "Food = $0 (We currently recieve $900 a month in food stamps that can be used almost anywhere they sell food such as gas stations, resturants, and grocery stores)"

First of all, NO ONE gets $900 a month in food stamps! That is ridiculous! I am familiar with a family of 5 that live on $10,000 per year and they only receive $400-$500 per month on food stamps. The system is not set up to cover all of your monthly food costs, it only covers a portion and you are responsible for the rest.
And your ignorance of the "Welfare System" really shines through in mentioning "restaurants" and how you can take the kids out to eat every month on them.
RESTAURANTS DO NOT ACCEPT FOOD STAMPS! You prove that you are a troll right there.
You can not use food stamps for prepared hot foods even in grocery stores. And restaurants would laugh in your face if you tried to use food stamps there.

2. "Health Insurance = $0 (our kids were able to get on CHIP and kept the same doctor, my wife and I got on the exchange with our low income qualified for a $0 monthly payment bronze coverage, best part is we now have a zero decutable and zero copay for our kids doctor visits and perscriptions and we also get free dental with zero copays and deductables with 100% coverage)"

The CHIP program is for low income families but does not cover everything and is not free. There are co-pays and yearly fees. If you had a clue or had done a little more research before posting your ridiculous rant, then you would know that Texas Medicaid covers everything with no cost, CHIP does not.

3. "Electric = $5 (we get subsidized electric and gas through a state program that is income based called Light Up Texas)"

The Lite Up Texas program only applies during the months of May, June, July, August and September, and is a discount, and does not cover your entire bill.

4. "Daycare = $0 (we were able to keep our kids in the same daycare with the state picking up the tab each month)"

Try again. The state will not pay $1600 per month for child care. They will assist up to a certain amount, but that amount is way out of the ballpark.

Also, you have to be enrolled in a TWC program for this, which requires you to meet eligibility requirements through the the workforce commission (Employment office). They expect you to be attempting to find better paying and more suitable employment. You don't just get a free ride because you decided to quit your higher paying jobs.

Which also ties into your claim that "We never lied on any government form".
Well, I believe that because you NEVER FILLED ONE OUT. Otherwise, you would have had to lie, because they ask about your employment history, specifically if you have quit any jobs within the past year and WHY.

As for Section 8, I am not familiar with that as much, but I have assisted seniors with getting required documents for the application and they require a lot of investigation and their is a long wait to get a section 8 home. And I seriously doubt that your landlord who was charging you $1200 month for rent, accepts Section 8. Section 8 homes are usually in more rundown neighborhoods.

I would really like to know what city you live in. I am assuming a very large one if you do in fact have a good public transportation system. Texas is progressive but it is nowhere near what other states have as far as public transportation goes, except in the very larger cities. And if you live in one of those larger cities, then you would be able to find daycare a lot cheaper and rent a lot cheaper as well. You just wouldn't be able to be a snob about where you lived or where your kids went for daycare.

You seem to seek to shame those on public assistance which really sickens me. Until you have actually been in that position and have had to swallow your pride and ask for help, then you have no clue what it is like. And it takes time, you don't just go on with your hand out and receive the hand out, they make you jump through hoops for it, which is all the more embarrassing.

I work with seniors that have worked hard all their lives and are now ill and living on social security or pathetic retirement funds and are barely making ends meet.

Thanks to people like you, some of them are so embarrassed to ask for public assistance that they end up in the nursing home or worse because they are unable to feed themselves plus buy medicine. What is really sad is that most of those that do swallow their pride and accept assistance, only receive about $40 per month in food stamps. The ones that accept in home nursing assistance have to sign away their rights to their homes in the event of their deaths. That's right, the government has the right to take their homes when they pass as repayment for their assistance. And a lot of them refuse the assistance because they do not want to deprive their children of what little they have left to give them for an inheritance.

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. People should not be so judgmental of others unless they have walked in the same shoes. Would you rather the poor and destitute be living on the streets and starving to death like in a third world county? This is America. If we can send Israel 3.15 billion dollars a year, and spend ridiculous amounts of money on wars that we have no business being in, then we should have enough money to take care of our own.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I think you did the right choice. I also think people don't realize the effort it takes to admit you need to have help and all the paperwork that's required to start off into subsidies from the government and they are just jealous they don't get that kind of help from anywhere but themselves by working long days. And I was raised to fend for myself and make cuts where needed.
But the most important thing I was raised on is that family trumps all. With that its a reminder that whatever cuts or cost I need to do will be done. Makes me remember the phrase "I don't live to work, I work to live" and if the OP states it was advised to go this route to live a better life for him and his family. I have to say Kudos

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: moonleaf

I you stated in the last paragraph that if America can send 3.15 billion to other country then it can afford to help anyone and everyone who takes the time and effort to fill out forms for the help they need or even want. It sickens me that after saying you have had hard times you go and rip on some other family who was having a hard time. Maybe you should support them and the options they chose if you truly know. Like you said these elders had assets. EI their house which they were to ignorant to realize its only a object of possession that they rather hold onto then the help and health to spend time with their families. So IMO let this man and his family be happy for the time being. And I feel sorry for your hardship and that it didn't make you open your eyes that all it take is a strong person to ask for help when they are down and struggling.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KuzKuz
a reply to: moonleaf

I you stated in the last paragraph that if America can send 3.15 billion to other country then it can afford to help anyone and everyone who takes the time and effort to fill out forms for the help they need or even want. It sickens me that after saying you have had hard times you go and rip on some other family who was having a hard time. Maybe you should support them and the options they chose if you truly know. Like you said these elders had assets. EI their house which they were to ignorant to realize its only a object of possession that they rather hold onto then the help and health to spend time with their families. So IMO let this man and his family be happy for the time being. And I feel sorry for your hardship and that it didn't make you open your eyes that all it take is a strong person to ask for help when they are down and struggling.

It sickens you that moonleaf is the latest poster to show that the OP is lying about everything. You should be sickened that the OP is lying.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Prior to reading the entire thread, I had my doubts about the veracity of this story. You'll see that he responds to many of the allegations of lying. I also don't recall him saying that he used the EBT card at restaurants, just that he was able to take his family out to dinner once a month. I have seen a family (in AZ) receive $1000/mo in food, so it is possible (she had 5 kids and another on the way, but still). If this guy isn't lying, he is intelligent enough to have researched and calculated the maximum benefit to his family, which I don't find any fault with whatsoever. He also hasn't done anything illegal. For anyone to find this immoral, yet not complain about all of the other things your taxes go toward, or even that you are being stolen from to begin with, just shows how easily manipulated our society is.

Regardless of whether or not this story is true, it is an important conversation to have, and if it isn't true, then I give the guy credit for creating a scenario which effectively exposes so many problems with the system. I think this thread is important, and will be giving him a star and flag.
edit on 1/6/2015 by azamber because: said "also" way too much. lol

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: moonleaf

1. "Food = $0 (We currently recieve $900 a month in food stamps that can be used almost anywhere they sell food such as gas stations, resturants, and grocery stores)"

First of all, NO ONE gets $900 a month in food stamps! That is ridiculous! I am familiar with a family of 5 that live on $10,000 per year and they only receive $400-$500 per month on food stamps. The system is not set up to cover all of your monthly food costs, it only covers a portion and you are responsible for the rest.
And your ignorance of the "Welfare System" really shines through in mentioning "restaurants" and how you can take the kids out to eat every month on them.
RESTAURANTS DO NOT ACCEPT FOOD STAMPS! You prove that you are a troll right there.
You can not use food stamps for prepared hot foods even in grocery stores. And restaurants would laugh in your face if you tried to use food stamps there.

As for Section 8, I am not familiar with that as much, but I have assisted seniors with getting required documents for the application and they require a lot of investigation and their is a long wait to get a section 8 home. And I seriously doubt that your landlord who was charging you $1200 month for rent, accepts Section 8. Section 8 homes are usually in more rundown neighborhoods.

Just to address a few points:

1. You can use the EBT card in restaurants in several states now. Crazy, but true. You can also use the EBT to purchase hot prepared food in the grocery store, Ive seen people do it.

Sec. 8 housing is EVERYWHERE now. Here in St. Louis you can find sec. 8 housing in almost any neighborhood. Take for example Lake St. Louis, a predominantly uppermiddle-upperclass area on and around a lake, house for rent and in the ads they say sec. 8 welcome. My parents subdivision had no sec 8 seven to ten years ago, now 4 out of 10 houses are sec 8.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Eligible Foods You Can Buy With A EBT Card In Texas:

Fruits and vegetables
Dairy products
Cereals & Breads
Plants or seeds that produce food to eat
Meats, poultry and fish

Non Eligible EBT Benefits Household Food items:

Beer, wine, liquor
Food that will be eaten in the store
Cigarettes or tobacco
Hot foods
Vitamins and medicines
Non foods like: Soaps and paper products
Pet foods
Household supplies

Other than a special program in four states designed specifically for homeless, disabled, and elderly recipients, who are unable to properly store or prepare food, you CANNOT use food stamps at restaurants.

I wish people would be honest here instead of posting vague, untrue answers to support their arguments.

As for the KuzKuz, it is obvious that you did not read my post in its entirety or were just unable to understand it. I fully support anyone that NEEDS assistance to seek it out and actually perform that service for others on a daily basis.

It is disturbing to see people so uneducated about the welfare system. I guess this is the reason that so many people complain so much about the programs. When you base your opinion on what you think is true instead of the actual truth, you are doing everyone a great disservice.

These programs were put in place because people were STARVING. And if you think that there are not people going hungry today, you are seriously mistaken. I have been in seniors' homes and the only food in the house was some commodities that they had picked up (i.e. government peanut butter).

There are people that take advantage of the system, but that is the case with ANYTHING. There will always be a few bad apples, but to punish hungry children for the mistakes and greed of others would be a travesty.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You should be a shamed of yourself. I worked for a lot less had to live on very little for food for my family. Plus had a car to upkeep I live in rural area so public transportation is not a option. We dont have money left over at the end of he month however we are happy. My husband works long hours outside in all weather conditions clearing tree limbs from the power lines a very dangerous job to provide for his famiy. While you a college educated ass, I dont have a college education however what I do have is this morals, values, and a lot more confidence in myself than you will ever have. You could have cancled you health insurance. We did your financial counsler buddy wasn all that smart here's how it works. There are exemtion forms for obama care, pediatricians charge less for a well visit if you are self pay usually the same you would pay for copay or less our copay was 35 and pedatrician charged 30. If what your saying is true and you were paying 16800 a year or 1400 a month for a family plan and were making 85K then you would have qualified for the exchange and probably paid less for a family of 4 it cant cost more than 8% of your income if it does you qualify for a exemption. Get off welfare grow a set and sport your family. This entitment crap in this country really makes me mad. You are not entitled to take from the needy just because you are sick of trying. If I was a compay looking to hire you and found out about this I wouldn't care about the tax breaks I'd be more concerned about if you have what it takes if your going to quit every time life gets testing.

edit on 20-11-2015 by TanyaC because: misspellng

new topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join