It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gays should avoid 2022 World Cup in Qatar

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

No one really cares if you "like" gays, trans* persons, Muslims, Rastafarians, etc. You don't have to enjoy seeing them, you can be disgusted by what you imagine they do in private, etc. etc.

Just treat them equally before the law, and let the rest work itself out.

As far as other countries, regardless of their beliefs, if they cannot guarantee the safety of attendees ... the games shouldn't be held there, bottom line. Public safety has nothing to do with belief.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is a HUGE stereotype and generalization of gay people. I would be willing to bet that many gays wouldn't want to change the game to have a pink soccer ball.

I think we are much more likely to get a pink soccer ball from some corporate bull# like Breast Cancer Awareness.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

What's wrong with breast cancer awareness?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

Please tell me you're joking.

www.salon.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

As far as other countries, regardless of their beliefs, if they cannot guarantee the safety of attendees ... the games shouldn't be held there, bottom line. Public safety has nothing to do with belief.

But, as always, it's about the money.

Qatar is a very wealthy oil country.

However, even though we all know money is #1, being part of the international power scene also requires "Human Rights" (at least on the surface).

It's actually quite a conundrum for an Islamic State.

edit on 13-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yea, I could see FIFA selling out like that. They pioneered the art of creative marketing at sporting events long before the NFL started doing it.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

While fracking is controversial I'm all for breast cancer awareness.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What does circumcision have to do with being gay

I did not bring it up but someone mentioned female circumcision but I see all circumcision in much the same light but not as a gays issue.

In some parts of the USA it is legal to marry a dog if India was a poor example.

This is a HUGE stereotype and generalization of gay people

People generalization for good reason, the brain works like that and I knew this guy that hung a cat and generalised that he would not be good with children ? Regardless of the answer are you saying that I should not generalise.

Now I know you know the bit about the wedding cake is true so was you trying to address the bit about the pink ball ?

This isn't a thread about countries that are anti-gay. It's a thread about an anti-gay country publicly saying that gays aren't welcome

My that's a bit of a strict criteria for a thread so not saying you don't want gays but chopping their heads off is off topic but a country that says it will arrest you if acting gay in public is on topic so long as its all connected to football

Silly me forgot you cannot say anything against American friends but anything if not.

You do know that football is a form of tribalism, belonging to a team with colours and in other words promotes racism which results in gang fights so Gays and football are never real going to quite fit together

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

The problem with the people who got into trouble for the wedding cake is they broke your own rule, it'ss illegal to discriminate against gays but they wanted to make a point so deliberately broke laws. You say they should abide by the rules even if they don't like them. You seem to only think people should abide by laws if they discriminate against gays. People should not be allowed to abuse animals as they cannot consent, people should not have sex with children as legally they cannot consent.2 adults who can consent should be able to engage in sexual activity.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If a country is going to host an international event, they should be open to an international audience, and respect that an international audience is not going to share all of their sensibilities.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
If a country is going to host an international event, they should be open to an international audience, and respect that an international audience is not going to share all of their sensibilities.

Yes, they should.

That is the exact correct answer.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
I did not bring it up but someone mentioned female circumcision but I see all circumcision in much the same light but not as a gays issue.

In some parts of the USA it is legal to marry a dog if India was a poor example.

No it isn't. That link I posted said that it isn't legal to do it anywhere. Sure people may do it in various places in the world, but that doesn't mean the government recognizes it as a valid marriage.

People generalization for good reason, the brain works like that and I knew this guy that hung a cat and generalised that he would not be good with children ? Regardless of the answer are you saying that I should not generalise.

Now I know you know the bit about the wedding cake is true so was you trying to address the bit about the pink ball ?

I know why people generalize, but that doesn't make it right. And for the record, yes I was talking about the pink ball. Bringing up the case of the wedding cake doesn't necessarily mean that a gay ref will demand a pink ball (and not just because pink isn't representative of the gay community, rainbow color scheme is). A gay ref, being a ref, would know the rules and know that it is inappropriate to change the traditional color scheme of the soccer ball, and if he didn't, no one would take him seriously. He may not even have a job if he pushed too hard for it.

My that's a bit of a strict criteria for a thread so not saying you don't want gays but chopping their heads off is off topic but a country that says it will arrest you if acting gay in public is on topic so long as its all connected to football

No it isn't. I posted a news article about gays attending the World Cup. THAT is what the topic is about. It isn't an opinion piece from me about gay relations. There are tons of other topics on international gay relations. Go bring up Saudi Arabia there.

ETA: Qatar IS one of America's friends... I pointed out earlier in this thread that that is where single soldiers went for leave while deployed in Iraq.

Silly me forgot you cannot say anything against American friends but anything if not.

Have no idea what you are talking about here. I could care less if you defame Saudi Arabia. I just want you to stay on topic. It really isn't that hard and feigning ignorance on that is in poor form. You aren't new to forums, you know how they work, so follow the rules.

You do know that football is a form of tribalism, belonging to a team with colours and in other words promotes racism which results in gang fights so Gays and football are never real going to quite fit together

This is a HUGE stretch and you know it. By that same rationale, we should never have let black people play major league sports either. Cut the hyperbole out.
edit on 13-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Just treat them equally before the law

I would like to think that I am above the law but not like most of our police but knowing right from wrong

if they cannot guarantee the safety of attendees

But they can and you are very unlikely to get mugged there or beaten up by other fans like happens in Poland or the UK so they should be banned for a start.

Its just Gays and if they kept themselves to themselves in Public then they will be fine but instead unlike me who would go to a Muslim country and drink black market beer behind closed doors they want to sing it from the roof tops and make being gay a big issue with everything.

Sorry but they like me must respect the law of the land an except it (like it or not) and as a minority group Gays should stop trying to tell everyone else what they can and cannot do.

edit on 13-11-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

You talk about gays as if they are a hive mind there are plenty of gay people who do not like public displays of affection, as there will be beer drinkers who will make the mistake of drinking in public. And it's not just gays who think these laws are disgusting, there are plenty of straight people who do as well. Minorities have a right to campaign for equality. Demanding fair treatment is everybody's right. Do you believe blacks and women should have stayed without the vote or that they should have told their governments they were wrong and should change?
edit on 13-11-2014 by WilsonWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Christians are our brothers in the eyes of Muslims & Allah, as taught by the Quran.

Don't blame Muslims for Christian persecution, blame extremist Arabs who do not follow the teachings of "their" religion.

Right up until we wear a cross, carry a Bible or ask if we can build a church ...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

originally posted by: intrepid
It's kinda silly. If one doesn't flaunt their sexuality how the hell would they know if one was gay? If you want to make a political point though, I suggest you stay home.

So to keep things equal and fair there should be no PDA or sex allowed at all. Flaunting sexuality is wrong so all those married straight couples better be respectful to this rule too.

Have you been in the Middle East? There is a reason why some of those countries require women to wear the burka ... and it isn't because they are into flaunting everyone's sexuality, except for gays.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: tavi45

Again your point is lost on me. I guess my "emotion" chip isn't working that well today. Those Olympics were in '36. Before the Nazi's went totally whacko. Not the comparison you meant to make I'm sure.

The logic chip is failing too. The Nazi's were always whacko.

It's still a bit difficult to draw comparisons between different points in history that have differing social and cultural mores, too.

It's like taking someone from Mohammad's day when marrying children was quite common and actually culturally accepted the world over and calling him a pedophile based on today's cultural mores. That isn't quite fair.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Forcing a women to wear a burka is discrimination. There is no good reason for it.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry, do you imagine that "the Gays" are going to be staging mass orgies in the stands?

I have no idea about your "sing it from the rooftops" comment even means. Do you see them staging a Broadway show? Cheeky, but unlikely (feathers wilt in the heat).

I made a comment about the host country providing security to guests, not merely to gay guests.

And what gays are telling everyone what they can and cannot do?

You're starting to sound like you have particular problems with gay folks, is that right?

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I believe the point being made was even a nasty racist regime like the Nazi's knew they shouldnt flaunt their racism during international sporting events and decades later the quatarus need to follow their example. Your right they should know better in more enlightened times, but the comparison still works.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join