It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members: What's your job/vocation?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'll bite..

Me, I'm officially a House Husband. Or as some might put it.. a Bum. LOL

I'm 46. Worked for 20 years . I spent most of that time in the air conditioning and heating industry as well as odd jobs during the slow months and from 35 to 40 selling furniture for a major chain. At this point I called it quits and never looked back. I own my own house outright, cars, computers, nice things and only have minimal expenses to pay. My wife works because she wants to and it's fine with her because she hates housework. I also still do odd jobs for extra spending money.

My wife has a debit card because her work check gets transferred to it and thats all it's used for. I dont have one and we do not.. will not use the corrupt banking system in this country. (United States)

We have everything we want or need and we are very happy. No Obamacare for us. No government handouts of any kind.

This is the way to go folks. I have tons of time for my family and tons of time to learn and play on the internet. LOL
edit on 21-5-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

lucky you, now how do I do it, im 28

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Hey I"m not even 50 yet

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

hardy har har make the younger guy wish america was the same as it was.

(you did get the star from me i am jk)
edit on 21-5-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Us Canadians miss the old USA sometimes too my friend

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots
Creator God on the loose (hiding out in the third dimension) to correct paradigms, (or pick apart to smitherines) the heavy archetypical 'overlays' "by others" that control human behavior endeavors (those that have dominated for the last 3000 years).
edit on 21-5-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Retired nurse...although, before that, I was a Bridal Consultant and also a window decorator for city shops/businesses and a part-time artist, (oil paintings). Had a few short stories published too, in some of those "lady" magazines.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

lucky you, now how do I do it, im 28

I didn't notice what you did for a living but when I worked AC and heating I made between 15 and 20 dollars an hour so that helped a lot. (sometimes working 12 hour days) Thats how I was able to buy my house - which is a 2 bedroom condo. it cost me $16.000 just over 10 years ago. (it's worth about $45.000 now) The maintenance fees which include all utilities (water and electricity) are under 300 dollars a month. We are frugal on things that don't really matter, like cars. We don't buy new cars or fancy sport types that make the insurance go up. I buy Chilton or Haynes manuals for the cars and do all the work myself. Food I'll say is our biggest expense but we work a tight budget and buy at cheap places.. cheaper than Walmart like the Save a Lot stores.

It helps if you don't have children, which I did not then but do now.. I have my wife's son living with us now (now my step son) He had been living with others from the time he was 10, just before I met his mother. (long story) but she has him back now, he's 19 and works to take care of himself. All we do is give him a safe place to live and we let him save his money and do with it as he sees fit, so, I didn't have to go through diapers, school clothes, college etc for him. I have no kids of my own. Unless I include my cat LOL.

We don't buy things we dont need like cable TV because the internet provides all movies and tv shows for free. Technically we live below the poverty line but we don't notice it at all - we go to dinner out once or twice a month, go fishing or free concerts in our area. You see, we don't care about keeping up with the Jones's or care about having an excess of money. Insurance for health is something else we don't pay for except my wife is covered by her work. She works in the laundry room of a nursing home a block away from our house, so she walks to work each day. I'm glad she has some coverage but I dont want it.. I figure when it's my time to go, i'll be ready.

it's a simpler life than most but to me comparing it to the rat race I was in for 20 years, it's much better for me. You can do it, if you like, just be frugal and careful.

Best wishes.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Lead Unified Communications Engineer at one of the top hospitals in the world.

I'm an old school voice guy making phones work over IP networks. This includes wired + wireless both 802.11 and IP DECT.

I'm in year 18 of my career, get paid very well for a place that makes a difference in the world. Lots of long nights and stress. I have at least one smart phone from each major makes,iOS/droid/windows/BB so it easy to feel like there is no escape from job.

Wouldn't trade it for anything as I love what i do.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Hello ATS! First time posting on here. I can proudly say that i FINALLY started making money as a music producer in the Long Island/New York area! Got my degree in audio engineering, but there were no jobs so i was bar tending for a couple of years. Minus my car payment, and my girlfriend, i saved everything i earned slinging drinks and built my dream recording studio. Acoustically treated mixing room, all the gear i could ever want, and a live room big enough for a 6 piece band. Proud to say i'm doing what i love!

P.S. I just wanted to say that the entire ATS community has been a constant inspiration. Everything that goes on through these forums really is magic. Thank you all!~ KNGFC

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

These days, full-time Mom. That includes teaching the kids as well, because we home school. In the past, I have done several things. Animal care in the Army and out of it, cashier various places, front desk clerk, hotel bookkeeping, Administrative Assistant in the same hotel, handled dormant and money market accounts at a bank, and did teller work as well.

Of course, "Mom" has a long list of responsibilities! Teacher, nurse, psychologist, driver, seamstress, repair technician, diplomat, party planner, personal shopper, fashion consultant, law enforcer, judge, jury, researcher, childcare worker, financial planner, travel agent, maid, cook, and plenty more I am sure I have missed!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
(arg - double post!)
edit on 22-5-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: double post

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
For what it is worth, young men & young women: Do what you love and the money follow.

If you do what you love, you will wake up happy to get to work.

No job you hate is worth the money, no matter how big the paycheck. Waking up everyday to go to a place you hate will become "not worth it". It may take a month or a year, maybe two, but it will happen, you will quit.

Life is not a game with a finish line. It is a journey, it is important to enjoy the journey.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
33 year old high school teacher

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I'm the guy where people in my industry ask: 'What the HELL does he do?'

It's a real mystery, it gives me a great advantage, and I like it that way. I do (create) a lot, and I've earned it.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Let's see... I'm a busy guy. Firstly, per diem pharmacy intern for a local hospital.

I do some freelance vulnerability assessment for some mid-large scale websites (I break into your website and you pay me to do it).

Then there's the at-home booking/scheduling job for Reserve America part time (I take your info and book you a camping space somewhere in the US).

From my old auto tech days I have access to parts at wholesale prices and sell them locally for a 10 to 20 percent markup. Just today I sold a fuel pump that a local garage quoted the guy around $700 for for $75.

I also repair their cars if they can't or won't go to a garage. Or if they just bring me parts. I charge a flat rate that amounts to far less than half of what a garage would charge.

I also do racing mods (turbos, reinforcement, superchargers, anything and everything in between or regarding those listed) for virtually anything you bring to me.

Lastly, I race pro, semi pro and amateur in various forms. Summer is the dirt track, street racing on closed courses and a lot of drag strips. Winter is ice racing which is where I'm ranked amateur but have 7 wins in 6 years and never a placing below 5th.

I just recently picked up a '75 Dart Sport 360 (now with a 426) and a '75 Scamp with a 340 now stroked to 416ci. I know, same thing... it was just so damn cheap to buy both. Haven't taken the Dart out for a dyno but the Scamp is 503hp and 522tq at the wheels. Strongly considering a 512ci.

Oh and an edit: I also mine Litecoins, sell for Bitcoins then... you know... sell when the price jumps. Not much money in that though, everyone waits until they inevitably take a nosedive again then buy. I average about $35-$50 a week in profit with that.
edit on 5/22/14 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Q33323

I'm the guy where people in my industry ask: 'What the HELL does he do?'

Producer?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I was a broadband internet maintenance testing technician with a major ISP until I retired. In my spare time at home, I was also an adult site webmaster. I still am.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CrikeyMagnet

Me too. Software tester here. I build automated tests. Right now I am working with Selenium, actually kinda fun!

Glad to see so many fellow computer people.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm a massage therapist, and I do web design as a sideline for some extra pocket money.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join