It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martha Stewert gets to 'check in' prision when she chooses?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
That's a bunch of crap. I don't know many people that get to just 'check in' to prision by a certain date.
She'll probaly have a special little cell to herself, plenty of fan mail and catered meals along with a security guard by her side 24/7 too.

Maybe she'll get to work in the kitchen. LOL!

Sorry for the vent - but this is rediculas.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
She's already in prison. Has been for a while.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
She also voluntarily opted for prison rather than stay out until the appeals had been heard.

I don't like her but when you show up for prison EARLY, you should at least get to say when.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
She's already in prison. Has been for a while.

Yes, I know. But it buggs the hell out of me that some get special allowances or privalages because of who they are.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
She also voluntarily opted for prison rather than stay out until the appeals had been heard.

I don't like her but when you show up for prison EARLY, you should at least get to say when.

Yeah, she decided to just go to prison now and get the 5 months over with, than have it hanging over her head for the next few years while she appeals. She's still going for an appeal, but purely on a 'reputation' level.

5 months in a minimum security prison ain't all that bad. I imagine it'd be hard to have a normal life if you're always worrying about whether you're going to prison or not. Get it over with and move on.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
She isn't getting anything special. That is the way the prison system is for white collar criminals. There is limited space so generally they have to wait until someone is released before they can 'check in'. She actually pushed to get in early. Most of the time at sentencing the judge gives them a window of time when they will check in and that window is based on availability.

She is not at a high security prison so it's very different system than what someone who was convicted of a violent crime would go through. But basically, she didn't get any special favors, that's just the way the system works when you are dealing with white collar criminals.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Believe it or not its not that uncommon. Here in Arkansas if you are convicted of a non-violent crime the court will often give you a few days or weeks to get your things in order before you go down.

On top of that our jails and prison system are so over crowded you might spend half or more of your sentence outside waiting to get in. I know one person who has been waiting for almost a year for them to find a opening for him.

The drug laws are so stiff they are letting murderers and rapists out to have room for pot growers. A guy I grew up with that was sentenced to THREE lifes sentences for a DOUBLE MURDER and THREE TIME convition
was released a few days ago. He only served 7 years.

That is why I am for the death penelty, life does not mean life.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
welcome to reality. not everyone is equal. if u got money or connections it gets u certain things.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yep....the whole things is a lot crap... big corporate criminals get off pretty easy and she get a sentence for earning a few thousands off her own stocks.... I'm not a Stewart fan and have never watched a show of hers...but what BS for sure!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Believe it or not its not that uncommon. Here in Arkansas if you are convicted of a non-violent crime the court will often give you a few days or weeks to get your things in order before you go down.

On top of that our jails and prison system are so over crowded you might spend half or more of your sentence outside waiting to get in. I know one person who has been waiting for almost a year for them to find a opening for him.

The drug laws are so stiff they are letting murderers and rapists out to have room for pot growers. A guy I grew up with that was sentenced to THREE lifes sentences for a DOUBLE MURDER and THREE TIME convition
was released a few days ago. He only served 7 years.

That is why I am for the death penelty, life does not mean life.

Wow. Where I come from, you might be leaving the bar on friday and wake up saturday morning in the slammer because a cop had a hangnail.

LL1

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
She even got to pick crabapples, where other prisoners would have
been fined for.
What were the crabapples for? Jam/jellies...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
well, if slick willie doesn't even have to go then why shouldn't she be able to pick when?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Martha Stewart should have never been charged for the said offences that she's been convicted of!

What is crap is that she is serving time for selling her stocks because she was advised to do so. So what? She didn't commit any crime. If any one of you, that thinks Martha is guilty, invests their money in any stocks and your financial advisor says to sell to avoid losing money, what are you going to do? Lose it because it's the "right thing to do?"

She's not even a billionare! Give her a break!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Intelearthling,

i believe she was convicted for obstruction of justice, right? if she lied or covered it up then she obstructed justice, right? then why should anyone give her a break...she broke the law.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I did not know you could go to jail for lying to the FBI, thats just crazy!

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I did not know you could go to jail for lying to the FBI, thats just crazy!

why is that crazy.....you can simply just shut up and not incrimnate yourself...why should obstructing justice not be illegal, that's kind of silly

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by keholmeswhy is that crazy.....you can simply just shut up and not incrimnate yourself...why should obstructing justice not be illegal, that's kind of silly

Actually IMO as long as she was not under oath while talking to the FBI she can lie as much as chooses, but you are right she should have kept her mouth shut but I think she thought she had done nothing wrong and was doing the right thing to talk to them. The police lie to people they interrogate all the time (I've seen the police say this themselves, that they would never allow a member of their family to speak to an officer without a lawyer present due to the fact that the police lie to people their questioning) and thats ok.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Goose,

I�m pretty sure that she was under oath�as for the police lying the deck is totally stacked for the person under investigation�.having been involved in investigations, all you have to do is shut and get a lawyer�.police come to your door�.talk in the doorway. They will ask to come in and discuss it. Don�t then they can look around your house. Then they will ask you to step out of your home�don�t they can shackle you then. Just politely tell them you have nothing to say, if they press tell them to contact your lawyer.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
keholmes, thanks I will remember the advice, hopefully I will never have need to know it but it is good to know these kinds of things. I guess we never know what the future will bring and I seriously doubt Martha Stewart ever thought she would find herself imprisoned either.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
goose,

yeah, the funny thing is after watching slick willy it probably reinforced in her mind that she couldn't be convicted for it.....or at least if convicted nothing would happen and she could later refer to it as a badge of courage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join