It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolver or semi-auto?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

But I bet in the right conditons ice, sand, they have a problem to.

That Sig/Sauer of yours has proven quite reliable even in adverse weather conditions!

Revolvers tend to come in a variety of different sizes, which makes them extremely convenient for ultra-concealed carry.

MK

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
To tell ya the truth, id like to have one of those guns from Unreal Tournament. (enforcer) I hope its .45...

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i'd have to go with a semi-auto and it has to be a Walther P99, I just love something about that pistol.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I like all handguns but I carry a Glock 35. I also USPSA with the same weapon.

Roper

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In the last 12 months I have put over 1000 rounds through my Glock 19. I have experienced only a handfull of stoppages (no more than 5) which were caused by poorly sourced 9mm ammo.

I like the fact that I can quite happily carry 45 rounds in a low profile/covert manner and know that when I pull the trigger the thing will fire. When operational I only use full jacket military ammo, so I don't worry about blockages. The G19 is my PPW and secondary weapon so lets hope I never have to draw it.

Revolvers are almost 100% reliable, but at the end of the day it all comes down to the ammo.

[edit on 20/10/2004 by BillyTheCat]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I expect the coming handheld Metalstorm derivates , to give a fine-tunable shower without the jams and maintenance that are often associated with automatics.

Judge Dredd will be knocking on the door soon...

[edit on 16-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I've fired a 1911 before and I liked it. I think a .45 ACP just feels good. I've also fired a couple of Glocks in 9x19mm and they were allright, but they really didn't do it for me. Maybe I should find some one with a Glock 20. So I've fired something like 13 different self loading pistols, averaging 150 or more rounds without any stoppages, untill I shot off a Desert Eagle. It was a used Desert Eagle chambered in .44 magnum. I must have jammed like, 3 or 4 times in 50 rounds. I don't think it was very well maintained. But the only weapon I own is a used Ruger Security 6 revolver. I've never had any problems with it at all. Of course I take good care of it clean it after every use. And I get great accuracy out of it. And so finally, I would take my Security 6 over any auto loader, simply because of the familiarity factor.

[edit on 2/25/05 by Smeg]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by h4dd3n
Which is more reliable, a Revolver, or a modern automatic pistol?
revolver by far. less moving parts=less complicated=more reliable.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My preference is the Springfield Armory XD9.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Revolvers do not allow you to load as fast as autos but they will kill just as easily. Talk of jamming is irrelevant because a jam is easily cleared in an auto (jiggle the slide and tilt the gun so that the jammed round falls away).

I've fired lots of calibers and am happiest shooting .22 simply because the lack of recoil allows tighter groups and more hits on target. If I score a headshot or a couple good bodyshots with a hollow-point 22, that person will stop resisting for sure. I can shoot .22 a rate close to 1/2 autofire and put all 20 bullets in the target. All the talk about .45 and stopping power is a bunch of hooey, IMO. Stopping power is overrated for anything happening at

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In the military,the average GI.Joe does not carry a handgun. It is either used by special forces or by the police. For law enforcement,I believe that it would be better to use a revolver,since at most you probably would only need to gun down a few people. Revolvers have less parts,but fire slower and reloads longer as well.

For Special forces,they either need pistols with a big magazine,high rate of fire or good penetration ability. However,try firing a full auto Glock-18 or a Desert Eagle .50AE (known to kill moose in 1 shot),and you will see that the Eagle jams quite a bit,and the Glock is hopelessly inaccurate.

In the end,it all depends on whose hands it is in,some people feel more at home with a revolver and others more with a semi-auto,also depending on what you are going to use it for too.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Glocks are not inaccurate! I have three and I beat several shooters who use 1911's at USPSA.

I shoot with a guy who uses a S&W 38 revolver. This man can reload almost as fast as I can.

Shoot the biggest round that you can handle and use JHP's, Gold-dots,hydra-shocks,corbons,etc.

Roper

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Glocks are not inaccurate! I have three and I beat several shooters who use 1911's at USPSA.

I shoot with a guy who uses a S&W 38 revolver. This man can reload almost as fast as I can.

Shoot the biggest round that you can handle and use JHP's, Gold-dots,hydra-shocks,corbons,etc.

Roper

Glock 18s are full auto,making them impossible to control. About the guy,he probably shot that gun many times,and he probably got special training. Try firing a .50AE out of a desert eagle with full metal jackets some time,i bet you could kill a grizzly bear.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Me, I prefer revolvers. .357, actually, a little lighter than Herr Doktor's load. SW 686, 4 inch barrel is the weapon of choice in Canada for armed security guards, for good reason. Never, ever seen one jam, and my instructor can reload as fast as a guy with an autoloader. And, of course, Herr Doktor is also right- something like 80% of shootouts occur in ranges of thirty feet or less. If you can't make your first two shots count, well, it's prettymuch game over. You get to the end of your ammo, you're shooting at shadows or a parked car.

DE

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Here's a link . Something for you revolver people. Get this good!

www.m90.org...

Roper

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
I've never seen or heard of a revolver jamming. I don't think it happens.

Certainly not with anything like the frequency of a semiauto jam.

not true my friend. i had that happen shooting my 38 on a practice range. it was faulty ammo. out of one box of shells i ended up with 4 bad rounds.

for reliability i would go with a revolver. i started with my 38 but am getting ready to upgrade to a 357...........i would have the punch of the higher cal but could shoot 38's as well for practice.

i ASPIRE to a s.auto though.............as a second gun...........but as a chick if i carry i would carry the 357..............there's a ruger that i like alot and being a doofus i can't remember the particular model of it........but its slimmer for carrying concealed...........the barrel is also a bit shorter ........shoot WHAT is the model............a p 3 maybe???
i can't remember now...........but i've shot it several times for demo and i do love the gun.

angie

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that the Navy SEALS use a revolver? Although I could be mistaken and it might now be a Glock?

As for Revolver vs Semi-Automatic, you have to look at the advantages of each one.

Revolvers tend to jam less and are meant to hold better accuracy, although I've never seen it proven.

Semi-Automatic pistols hold more ammo, so you can hit more targets.

If you have a speed loader, it's possible to reload a revolver just as fasted as a Semi-Auto.

So it all goes down to what each person likes. I myself love the Mateba Model 6 Unica. It's my 'gun of choice', although living in England I don't own one.
Honest.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I would say there are many variables.
1/ What are you using it for? If your a soldier and it's your back-up weapon your going to want ammo capacity and a nice simple, robust wpn.
2/ What kind of shot are you? Be honest with yourself because it's your life. If you can pop a good shot under stress then maybe a wheelgun with some nuts is for you.
As for the stoppages my opinion is like most others. Revolvers have way less. We won't count ammunition faults because thats the same for both.
My Choice is the auto because I was a soldier and I want firepower to win a firefight. (more bullets, not bigger bullets) and I want a weapon that doesn't have areas where dirt and grime can get into the working areas like many revolvers.
At the end it's choice.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hmmm. revolvers vs. autos hard decision. revolvers are far more reliable from a function standpoint but autos have come a long way. i prefer autos mostly because i know how they work and what to do when they dont. my old favorite the rack and slap. funny thing though most cops and armed personnel carry two weapons usually a auto and a small j frame. militay also carries both but rifle and handgun. so if one fails the other is there to save your hide. a pistol is a defensive weapon meant as a last resort to stop a threat so as i say smoke em if you got em whether in that wheelgun or auto

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Most of the comments here are spot on, I'll just add one thing that I've encountered recently. I'm also a USPSA shooter so I'm pretty fond of the 1911 variants the glocks are fine as well. To my point, I personally tested two revolvers recently, both .357's and beautiful gund a Colt python in mint condition probably less than a couple of hundred rounds and a Dan Wesson package that has interchangeable grips and barrel lenghts also mint condition. The results with these quality name brand guns might surprise you, both are unsuitable for combat or defense as both misfired during rapid double action shooting. The python is flat dangerous and I recommended the owner not shoot it and send it to colt for repair as it would not lock the cylinder under rapid double action use and would have firing pin strikes just off the side of the primer,SCARY!! The Dan Wesson has a weak main spring, makes for a nice trigger pull, but I'd rather it go bang every time!
So in short no matter what pistol you get make sure it works under, real conditions, heck shoot some USPSA we'd love to have you shoot with us.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join