It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Serious Warnings* Alert * Earthquake* Postings* Please Read*

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

For a guy with a signature such as yours I find it kind of funny that you're arguing this with such tenacity. I'm not really wanting to bash you, as some of your posts were quite cool (dragons especially).

Peace

[edit on 10-12-2008 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Awesome find - thank you, those graphs are very interesting to look at.

Two other things.

This morning on my local news. They showed - Oakland, Florida it seems that "hundreds" of vultures have migrated to the area. The people are not happy, because now they are having problems with droppings etc from them. They have never seen anything like it, as the news said. They showed some video of the vultures in the sky.

Another thing, which is odd, my ears are killing me and head hurts as in a pressure pain, my daughter's ears are popping right now.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by budro

Wow, the way you wrote that out - shows there is a big increase in just a couple of days time in larger earthquakes.

I had no idea 13 yesterday at that size.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Here's a link for that vultures story www.nbc-2.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I can't figure out how to edit here, so I will do a second post. Sorry bout that.

In the article it says "The birds typically flock to the area in November and, according to Wallace, don't leave until March or April." so this is just a normal thing there. Did the news you watch say more?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ahimsa

I found some articles online about it.

FORT PIERCE: Bob Wallace doesn't like the idea of killing birds, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Wallace and others who live in the historic Ft. Pierce neighborhood of Oakland Park, Florida say vultures are becoming a big problem.

www.nbc-2.com...

They defecate and vomit all over his backyard, his cars and his house, leaving white splotches and a rancid stench.

Ken Gioeli, a naturalist with the St. Lucie County cooperative extension, says vultures typically regurgitate when they feel threatened.

He says they'll also vomit on their feet to keep warm in cold weather.

All of this makes for a tense relationship with the increasingly frustrated neighbors.

They've tried scaring the birds with firecrackers and noise makers, but nothing seems to last very long.

www.wkyc.com...

FORT PIERCE — Lara Amyx routinely goes into her backyard just before dusk and bangs on pots and pans, while her husband, Dan, blows a trumpet.

They're not aspiring to become musicians. They're trying to stir up enough noise to scare away hundreds of unwelcome black vultures that roost in two Banyan trees on neighboring property behind their two-story home in the historic Oakland Park neighborhood off Delaware Avenue.

Amyx and her husband said they can't enjoy breakfast on their porch deck or have backyard parties because the birds defecate and vomit all over their property, causing an unbearable stench; and create an obnoxious noise when they frequently flap their wings in the trees.

www.tcpalm.com...

Yes, but my local news said there are many more than normal.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Found this on the BBC site today and thought of this thread.
Sorry if its been posted before.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Earthquakes can 'spark eruptions'

The researchers analysed records from southern Chile
Very large earthquakes can trigger an increase in activity at nearby volcanoes according to a new study.

The controversial findings come from an analysis of records in southern Chile.

It showed that up to four times as many volcanic eruptions occurred during the year following very large earthquakes than did so in other years.

The work, by a team at the University of Oxford, appears in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters.

The researchers say volcanoes lying up to at least 500km away from an earthquake's epicentre were affected.

Previously, scientists had identified only a few cases where volcanic eruptions followed very large earthquakes.

It has been very difficult to show statistically that these earthquakes were the cause of an increase in eruptions, rather than coincidences. And the idea is not widely accepted among scientists.

Shaken or stirred

The researchers examined the volcanic eruption and earthquake records of southern Chile where, in 1835, Charles Darwin first speculated on the link between earthquakes and eruptions.

By analysing historical records, Sebastian Watt along with Oxford colleagues David Pyle and Tamsin Mather, discovered that volcanic activity increased for about a year after each of the largest earthquakes in southern Chile - those greater than 8.0 magnitude - over the past 150 years.

The Osorno volcano was one of those that figured in the analysis
Mr Watt said it was unexpected to find eruptions occurring so far from the earthquake rupture zone and also the length of time over which increased volcanic activity was seen.

"This suggests that seismic waves, radiating from the earthquake rupture, may trigger an eruption by stirring or shaking the molten rock beneath volcanoes," he said.

"The disturbances that result from this lead to eruption but, because of the time it takes for pressure to build up inside a volcano and for the magma to move towards the surface, an eruption may not occur until some months after the earthquake."

'Primed for eruption'

The volcanoes most likely to be affected lay within about 500km of the earthquake epicentre, and included both dormant and active volcanoes.

The powerful Chilean earthquakes in 1906 and 1960 - the latter, a 9.5 magnitude event, was the largest earthquake ever recorded - were each followed by activity at six or seven volcanoes. The researchers say this represents a significant increase on the average eruption rate of about one per year.

Mr Watt commented: "This work is important because it shows that the risk of volcanic eruption increases dramatically following large earthquakes in parts of the world, such as Chile, affected by these phenomena.

Previous studies have suggested that where a volcano is primed, the specific timing of an eruption could be triggered by seismic activity. But one expert told BBC News that the idea was not "widely held" among the volcanology community.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

My news had said that there were more vultures than normal,
yet the articles say that they do have vultures down there every year.

So my question is, why is it getting so much attention right now from various media if "this happened every year", with that amount of vultures?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hightower

I have wondered about EQ's and volcano's - another thing I have wondered and questioned (I like to question everything)
is would happen to a plane flying over an area, when a big EQ hit?

It seems the air waves are distrupted - from the earth moving, so would a plane high above an area be affected by an 'Big" Earthquake below them.

That is just a question that I have wondered about ............

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The only two cnets I wll add to this thread are......

-I have an ear ache for 4 days along with ringing...left ear only

-I went on vaction to West Palm beach FL back in Jan of 91' and distinctly
remember 1000x's of Turkey Vultures riding the up drafts off the ocean
in a circular "tower" ~ 2000-3000 ft high.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningallIt seems the air waves are distrupted - from the earth moving, so would a plane high above an area be affected by an 'Big" Earthquake below them

As an airline pilot i have never heard about transport category aircrafts at altitude being affected by big earthqakes.
I guess it could be possible for smaller aircrafts at low altitude, but again that depends on the nature of the disruption.
Knowing that very big earthquakes can trigger geothermal, and even volcanic activity one wouldn't want to be above the area where that happens when it happens.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

You have a point there. I noticed one of the sites where the story is being shown is in Ohio. You're in Tennessee and it's on your news as well. Makes me wonder too.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Kind sir,

I do accept your concerns. But, the reason nothing is being done. Is it is exactly what the government wants. Of why this war with Iraq was started....Population Control.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Hey, ya'll,

George has posted even more information (ALTA runs) about the predicted earthquakes today on his blog at www.urbansurvival.com...

He put in a lot more information today than he did yesterday.

-N

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This figures.......

"There continue to be aspect/attribute sets which accrue in support of the [earthquake] in December. The actual range in December has been noted in modelspace to extend from December 3rd out to January 5th

[edit on 10-12-2008 by TrainDispatcher]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Fudge Factor. Stretch out the event window wide enough and you are bound to get something resembling the "predictions". Nature is random but also cyclical. Some years there are more vultures than other years. Sometimes we get a lot of hurricanes and sometimes a little.

UGH. That urban survival website is just plain unscientific.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hi All!

Any Earhquake??????

what is now 2012?

Jesus is coming ???

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Has anyone seen this page: www.quakeprediction.com...
According to this site the focus is on CA not New Madrid Area....

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hey...did I miss the devastation of an earthquake yet? I have my lawn chairs, smokes and beer ready to watch!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Guys... they're not stretching anything. That has been the window since this first popped-up. Most recently it has 'concentrated' around Dec 10-15th and that 32 - 36deg lat window. The problem is that most people don't go to the source for the information and get bits-and-bytes from postings on the web which tend to over-simplfy and unintentionally distort the original information. Personally, I can't accuse the WebBot folks of either 'fudging' or backing away from what they've said. If they're wrong they say as much.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join