It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Act - Fake News Is Now Illegal Just Deem It Foreign Propaganda

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Which begs to question WHAT IS THE POINT OF WHAT THEY'RE DOING WITH THESE NEW ACTIONS? Are the whole lot of you in here (whom are the usual liberals btw) going to dodge this question forever, or what?????

Never dodged the question. I already stated what the point was. You just don't like my answer.

They're setting precedents with this stuff and what comes next, with Trump about to take the White House you should be going out of your minds about this if you guys actually believed any of the slanderous stuff you all kept harping all election about him being an anti-free speech Hitler'esque authoritarian fascist.

Yeah, because he is the one guy who might actually make it illegal to disseminate unflattering info about him. The legislation in the OP, however, does not make anything illegal.

If you think there is no such thing as propaganda put out by foreign countries to make the U.S. look bad, I don't know how to help you.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

OF COURSE they're not going to round journalists up and lock them in a camp and subject them to electroshock torture sessions (or whatever lol).

Yet we're dealing with a re-education of the nation with this crap. Too many alternative perspectives outsides of the .gov and the MSM narratives. All the sources critical of government conspiracy (which DO happen and DO exist), the imperialistic US Foreign Policy, the various aspect and inner workings and works of the Corporatocracy, and so on.

I'm not particularly familiar with the exact media and political party structure over there, but I guarantee it's not much different than here. Being a vassal state of a monarchy that pushes the same corporatist globalist pseudo-liberal narrative, no doubt about it. But you're the outsider so you're the voice of reason; the wise one? Try again; we're the ones on the front lines of this generations spanning information warfare machination that marches to the tune of global oppression and subversion of every stripe.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Since you clearly missed this post here it is again:

I get the impression you're a youngster whom hasn't been thru many large diabolical propaganda campaigns, and the ones you have been thru you've been on the 'business end' of them (meaning you were manipulated by them; that's a firearms phrase).

Here goes some perfect case studies for you to understand why some of us are freaking out about all this noise, and what is it they're intent on censoring (or 'whatever' they're trying to do with these laws):

Shock & Awe - When the Liberal Media Sold US 'Operation Iraqi Liberation'

ObamaHillaryCo.'s TIMELINE OF TERROR In The Middle East

The MSM driven Mass Shooting Contagion Effect - The Most Diabolical 'FAKE NEWS'

Jessica Lynch: One of the Pentagon's ultimate absurdities in the annals of FAKE NEWS

Obama/Clinton/CIA and the coup d’etat of a democratically elected president in Honduras

The CIA's Global Drug & Jihad Empire

The US Federal Government + MSM duo is the most least honest 'thing' I knwo about!

You really ought to re-read the entire thread, after actually inspecting those threads there. If you're really all about truth & justice it starts there. US Foreign Policy is in the wrong now, it has been for generations on end now, and these are the "foreign policy interests" that they're talking about countering "foreign" reporting on. Foreign in this case -if you've been following the entire evolution of the fake news debate... -including domestic voices against US-NATO foreign policy which has decimated Syria (for one tiny example).

You're a liberal? You clearly havent been reading any voices like Chomsky, and instead just voices like Hillary.
edit on 26-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: gmoneystunt

In summary the stage is now set for the U.S. government to legally crack down on any independent press,alternative news or media outlet that they claim is “foreign propaganda" they just need the money to enforce it.

That's a lie.

It is against foreign GOVERNMENTS, not independent press or alternative news.

So what does he plan to do now that he made it illegal for other governments to have opinions? Take them to court?? Bomb them??

How will he deal with his own propaganda, is he going to be the shining example of truth? When will he start, before he gets thrown out of the white house? Will he correct all propaganda his administration produced against other countries during his wrecking ball presidency ?

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 26 Dec 2016 04:12:07 -060016201612America/Chicago by everyone because: TYPO

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

If they've allocated 600 billion dollars to determine what can/cannot be trusted in any public forum, it's a problem.

When you can be investigated by the FBI terrorism task force because of a report funded by the United States government for nothing more than voicing an opinion, it's a serious goddamn problem. It's overreaching, it's oppression and its tyrannical.

Who's going to be doing the vetting? It sounds to me like they will be disseminating funds along with a viewpoint they want us to believe. How many new online and print news media vetting sources do you think will now pop up with an outrageous bankroll provided by federal government grants under the guise of non-profit organizations in the near future?

It's communism on the cool. They don't have to come out and say it, they'll pay others to say it for them. I mean Jesus Christ, it's a slick round about way to abolish the first amendment at the very least. It should scare. They tried to pass SOPA and failed so this is their alternative. They don't have to send you to prison when they can just destroy your credibility, cripple you financially and make it impossible to live. They don't have to take away your voice, they'll just mock, steal, censor and take away your ability to voice it, whichever medium you use.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Globalresearch.ca is a Russian disinformation front. Notice that it portrays the North Americans as being pro-Nazi, pro-censorship. Here is a more objective thread about the same vetoed resolution, explaining why America did not support it:

So you liberals have more in common with the russians then you first thought.

weaponized false information

Thanks for the laugh.
There is also zero proof it is a russian disinformation front.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 26 Dec 2016 04:17:39 -060016201612America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So, don't believe anything the U.S. government says. Believe everything you read on the internet. That is your right.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

So, don't believe anything the U.S. government says. Believe everything you read on the internet. That is your right.

Not for very long apparently.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: becomingaware

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Not for very long apparently.

Says who. You? Unlike you, I choose not to believe everything I read on the internet.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

So this is not a signed law according to you?
Is this according to you, fake news then ?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

I have serious trust issues. I don't trust anyone, anything. The United States federal government especially. I'm too cynical and sometimes have a very pessimistic view of people in general. I'm apparently too sarcastic as well because you missed it there.

I trust my dog though, he's always had my back. Everyone else can eff right off.
edit on 26-12-2016 by becomingaware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

It is untrue that this act makes fake news illegal to be disseminated or viewed. What IS true is that this act is a declaration that Congress will allocate funds and man-hours to analyze fake news propaganda from foreign sources in order to publicly counter with what they consider the true facts. Nowhere does it say that it is now illegal to disbelieve the U.S. Government. You can still disbelieve everything the U.S. government says to your heart's content.

For example: under Trump's administration, China might try to disseminate some anti-Trump propaganda by setting up a fake news website posting untrue articles regarding what Trump may do to hurt Americans. This act gives Trump's administration a better and more efficient way of publicly countering these fake articles with the facts as Trump sees them. You can choose to believe Trump, or you can choose to believe the fake news website from China that portrays Trump as the devil Nazi. But at least you have both sets of info to choose from.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: becomingaware

Sounds like a personal problem to me. Good luck to ya.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

There is also zero proof it is a russian disinformation front.

Now you are raising the bar. It is not sufficient that its news is fabricated and biased against the United States and its allies, and towards the Kremlin. Now you require some sort of "proof." I have never claimed that globalresearch is funded or staffed by the Russian government, only that they disseminate propaganda that originates there. Many sites do that, including ATS. The difference is that ATS is "user generated" content that encourages discussion, which is why I was able to start a thread exposing the Kremlin's lies about the UN resolution.

Something similar is happening on this thread; several Anti-American propaganda sites, including RT, which certainly is a propaganda organ of the Russian government, have portrayed a recent bill in a false and distorted way. They are claiming it is a form of censorship, which it is not. Because, apparently, Americans do not understand what censorship actually is, many members seem not only to believe the lies, but to defend them, as though we have an inalienable "right to be lied to." Some of us can see the deception and are trying to wake them up.

I'm pretty sure you approve of the deception, which is why this very grave matter makes you "laugh."

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It's funny how Pres Obama is being blamed for this, even though Republicans control both Chambers of Congress and a Republican is the one who sponsored this bill in the first place (Rep. Adam Kinzinger). Or are you blaming Obama because he didn't veto your own side's bill?

ETA: You can read "H.R. 5181: Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act of 2016" in its entirety at this link:
www.govtrack.us...
edit on 26-12-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Oh and how do you think governments get information out to the people? Not through their own means. You aren't looking at the big picture.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

This law doesn't do what you claim it does.

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

What does it do that they havent been doing all along?

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

a reply to: Greggers

What does it do that they havent been doing all along?

If they've been doing it all along, who cares?

According to the Washington Post, what's new is this: www.washingtonpost.com... 52_story.html?utm_term=.d1b5326f09c5

The effort would expand the State Department’s Global Engagement Center, which focuses on combating propaganda and recruitment by the Islamic State and other violent extremist groups, and would draw support from the Defense Department, intelligence agencies, the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Broadcasting Board of Governors.

The measure also would create a grant program to help foster civil society and independent journalism in countries targeted with propaganda campaigns by Russia and other foreign powers, including China.

edit on 26-12-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join