It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Act - Fake News Is Now Illegal Just Deem It Foreign Propaganda

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
But, Wikki leaks was not disinformation? It was true. Who determines if something is fake, the Democratic party? I suppose the Democratic party is crowned the judge of that somewhere in the bill he passed.

The law should also state no presidential candidate is allowed to lie.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

I fail to see why this is so incomprehensible, or why there's so much rampant distrust of anything the government says or does. Should we be like Somalia with no government except warlords?

I get the impression you're a youngster whom hasn't been thru many large diabolical propaganda campaigns, and the ones you have been thru you've been on the 'business end' of them (meaning you were manipulated by them; that's a firearms phrase).

Here goes some perfect case studies for you to understand why some of us are freaking out about all this noise, and what is it they're intent on censoring (or 'whatever' they're trying to do with these laws):

Shock & Awe - When the Liberal Media Sold US 'Operation Iraqi Liberation'

ObamaHillaryCo.'s TIMELINE OF TERROR In The Middle East

The MSM driven Mass Shooting Contagion Effect - The Most Diabolical 'FAKE NEWS'

Jessica Lynch: One of the Pentagon's ultimate absurdities in the annals of FAKE NEWS

Obama/Clinton/CIA and the coup d’etat of a democratically elected president in Honduras

The CIA's Global Drug & Jihad Empire

The US Federal Government + MSM duo is the most least honest 'thing' I knwo about!
edit on 25-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Can someone show me the exact words in the act that make "fake news illegal"?

I'm looking at the summary of the act, and what I see has nothing to do with stopping any news from being published, nor do I see where anyone is going to be charged with a crime for publishing news deemed fake.

What I see is the forming of a strategy to counter disinformation with facts. Counter doesn't mean to make illegal or to forbid something. It means to be able to come back publicly with why something is not true and what the truth really is.

Another important component of the act is to promote an independent press in some of these foreign countries where the government can "own" the press. That sounds to me like our government is against a government-owned press.

I mean, if you don't trust our government to point out disinformation coming from other countries, that's fine, but don't claim that they are going to prevent news, fake or otherwise, from reaching U.S. citizens, because that's not what this act says at all. You will still have access to the fake news, as well as to the U.S. government's countering of it with their facts - you have the freedom to choose which one you will believe. You won't be going to jail if you choose to believe the fake news. You'll be stupid, but you won't be going to jail.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
What I see is the forming of a strategy to counter disinformation with facts. Counter doesn't mean to make illegal or to forbid something. It means to be able to come back publicly with why something is not true and what the truth really is.

They need laws to do that? The MSM, the DOD, etc already have scores of propagandists working day and night on this stuff for 100 years. We've been inundated with their imperialist drivel our entire lives, except now we have the internet allowing us access to perspectives other than the Republican/Democrat 2faces perspectives they've have everyone fall under so now they need to GO AFTER it???

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How can americans still be able to use the internet, fox news and breitbart told us obama would destroy america with ebola, damn those liberals with there fake news.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sweet! Seeing as I'm in Canada any crap coming from the US MSM will be deemed fake.

Disclaimer: I have been doing that for years. Seriously I don't know how you guys can watch/listen to that Bull#.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

This appears to be a specific strategy for dealing with a specific type of false propaganda coming from foreign countries.

Again, where does it say in the act that news deemed fake will now be "illegal" and that it will be "illegal" to look at it, read it, or believe it?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This will be good.

Now we can have a 3rd level of dissecting news.

1. news

2. news classification (fake/real)

3. classification of news classification (fake/real/fake)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

At least I know that the OP is based on fake news, because I can look at the act myself and discern that it in no way makes any news "illegal".

Hopefully, all those smart people on ATS will see that for themselves as well.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
so, basically the U.S. government is now going to be the entity that decides what is truthful news and what is lies or propaganda? and only what they deem to be true will be disseminated to the American people.

Politicians, the biggest liars on the planet, are going to be in charge of deciding what is truth.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
so, basically the U.S. government is now going to be the entity that decides what is truthful news and what is lies or propaganda? and only what they deem to be true will be disseminated to the American people.

Where do you see that only what they deem to be true will be disseminated to the American people in the act? Can you link the exact passage in the act that states this?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

At least I know that the OP is based on fake news, because I can look at the act myself and discern that it in no way makes any news "illegal".

I can't wait for the failures and exposures.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Well, I've exposed you a few times.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Can you link the exact passage in the act that states this?

No doubt many may be looking for the worst in this but the US government isn't always faithful in following the letter of the law. The NSA and CIA comes to mind...

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Looks like "CNN" has a contract for 10 years

(1) Authorization of appropriations

There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of State for fiscal years 2017 and 2018 $20,000,000 to support the Center and provide grants or contracts of financial support to civil society groups, journalists, nongovernmental organizations, federally funded research and development centers, private companies, or academic institutions for the following purposes:

(A)To support local independent media who are best placed to refute foreign disinformation and manipulation in their own communities.

(B)To collect and store examples in print, online, and social media, disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda directed at the United States and its allies and partners.

(C)To analyze tactics, techniques, and procedures of foreign government information warfare with respect to disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda.

(D)To support efforts by the Center to counter efforts by foreign governments to use disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda to influence the policies and social and political stability of the United States and United States allies and partners.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Yeah, that's what I've been saying about Trump - he just hasn't gotten caught yet.

But everyone tells me I need to wait and see.

So, regarding this act, let's wait and see.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I remember back in the bush years, alot of times I would go to BBC and see stories there I just weren't in our news, or contradicted our news... then maybe a month or so , maybe later, it would finally hit our news..
so, if something like this would happen again, would BBC be classified as being fake propaganda?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That meme is both ridiculous and lazy.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Sadly, a lot of people will not read it. Or if they do, somehow will read, "Evil Obama, while saying bwahahaha, signs secret order, at midnight in a ritual circle, to make all alternative news illegal."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join