It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Act - Fake News Is Now Illegal Just Deem It Foreign Propaganda

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Sadly, a lot of people will not read it. Or if they do, somehow will read, "Evil Obama, while saying bwahahaha, signs secret order, at midnight in a ritual circle, to make all alternative news illegal."

Sadly, I know you are correct.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like "CNN" has a contract for 10 years

(1) Authorization of appropriations

There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary of State for fiscal years 2017 and 2018 $20,000,000 to support the Center and provide grants or contracts of financial support to civil society groups, journalists, nongovernmental organizations, federally funded research and development centers, private companies, or academic institutions for the following purposes:

(A)To support local independent media who are best placed to refute foreign disinformation and manipulation in their own communities.

(B)To collect and store examples in print, online, and social media, disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda directed at the United States and its allies and partners.

(C)To analyze tactics, techniques, and procedures of foreign government information warfare with respect to disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda.

(D)To support efforts by the Center to counter efforts by foreign governments to use disinformation, misinformation, and propaganda to influence the policies and social and political stability of the United States and United States allies and partners.

How do you come to that conclusion??? It states supporting local, independent media. The focus seems to be on determining what foreign governments are doing and how they are doing it.

Also, I find it hard to believe CNN can be bought for 20 years for 20 million. LOL

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Good thing there's people that trust big government.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The gist of it is this, apparently...

We can not be trusted to make up our own minds, there fore others will be making it up for us. Isn't that nice of them? Spare us all that problem of thinking for ourselves...

So happy. Thinking is hard work, after all, one might be subversive and have unsanctioned thoughts about stuff.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

It's meant to be ridiculous. If only I could figure out one even half as ridiculous as all of this fake news CENSORSHIP noise, and your support of it.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

This will backfire worse than they can imagine.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Chadwickus

What does that even mean? We're talking about information (words, ideas, facts). Who decides what is or isnt "foreign"?

Hell, during the cold war did they ever even ban the word communism? Was it illegal to have a brochure?

And did this piece of #^$$*$# just sign this thing on Christmas?

No. The President of the United States did not sign this thing on Christmas. First sentence in the OP.

Late Friday night, President Obama signed the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act into law,

He did it late Friday night, while everyone was busy worrying about "fake news", Assange, and all of the other shiny cool things they dangled out there for the easily distracted herd, instead of paying attention to real sh!t that actually matters. There were a bunch of us trying to tell you guys not to bite, but we can only do so much...there are so few of us left, you see.

They're not done. You'll have more opportunities to start paying attention.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Okaay. I'm uniformed, and you're the head of The ATS Stuff-That-Matters Guru Society. Merry Horus Christmas! Oh wise one, wont you please tell us grasshoppah's, while we were all distracted with this non-news Fake News Agenda, what is the big zinger that you found out about while you were all tuned in on the real big picture? I somehow missed all the threads about all this hard hitting stuff you're the expert on.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: roadgravel

Yeah, that's what I've been saying about Trump - he just hasn't gotten caught yet.

But everyone tells me I need to wait and see.

So, regarding this act, let's wait and see.

Well said.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
The gist of it is this, apparently...
We can not be trusted to make up our own minds, there fore others will be making it up for us. Isn't that nice of them? Spare us all that problem of thinking for ourselves...

So happy. Thinking is hard work, after all, one might be subversive and have unsanctioned thoughts about stuff.

Not really the gist at all, the bill states it will introduce "procedures to expose and refute foreign misinformation and disinformation and proactively promote fact-based narratives and policies to audiences outside the United States."

Personally I feel this will be absolutely pointless because as I've learned over the years on ATS, as well as other social media, once someone's mind is made up, that's it, there's absolutely no swaying them.

And surely you've noticed that many CAN'T think for themselves, they parrot whatever rhetoric they have chosen to be true in their minds and that's it.

Distrust the US government but loves Russian government....what a joke.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Take the blinders off.

Your "independent and alternative media sources", in this instance zerohedge and wearechange, are lying to your face.

They both state that this bill is to crack down on independent and alternative media, but that isn't the case at all. Read the actual bill.

Make your own mind up, and then share with the rest of us, if you can, where they are going to crack down on independent and alternative media.

Stop being a fear mongering fool and use your brain for once.

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What a lame way to make that "inevitable" war happen? Nice try Obummer :/

‘Fake news’ sparks nuclear threat between Pakistan & Israel

RT LINK

Pathetic attempt to stay in power, or pathetic attempt to get the war going to undo the disaster of American economy?

Conclusion: Pathetic!

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

That Israel/Pakistan thing might be fake too !!

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

That Israel/Pakistan thing might be fake too !!

Yeah, thats the "beauty" of it

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Its all pretty fake but this makes sense. www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

How is that Obama's fault??

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

How is that Obama's fault??

Oh come on? Deeming spin/speculation illegal ?
Stories that explore the real context, and debates where its going, is illegal?
Stupid move turned into stupid law!
This would mean that the whole of ATS is illegal then

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I meant the Pakistan/Israel spat.

How is that Obama's fault?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Im not saying its Obamas fault directly, but if you read the article

The Pakistani defense minister threatened Israel with nuclear war on Twitter, apparently responding to information from a site known for peddling out-of-this-world conspiracy theories.

Pakistani Minister of Defense Khawaja Muhammad Asif tweeted a thinly-veiled threat towards Israel on Friday, “reminding” it that Pakistan is a nuclear power that will strike back if attacked.

So now its ok to threat with nukes, based upon what some thinks are speculation / conspiracy theories.

If Obama's law get into world wide practice, any speculation will be deemed illegal... is that a path the world should go, or should we stay upon track and be able to ask questions?

And again, who defines what is spin/speculation & conspiracy?

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Can someone show me the exact words in the act that makes "fake news illegal"?

What I see is the forming of a strategy to counter disinformation with facts.

“Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act,” which was introduced by U.S. Senator Rob Portman said,

With this bill now law, we are finally signaling that enough is enough; the United States will no longer sit on the sidelines. We are going to confront this threat head-on.
www.portman.senate.gov...

How is the government countering disinformation with facts (or propaganda) any different then what they have been doing?

What would be the point of this Act if the government just keeps doing the same?

Signing this Act would obviously mean taking it a step further then usual.

What do you think the next step above countering disinformation with facts would be?

How would you confront this threat head-on?

And if you read the Portman's quote above he states the bill is a law. If you break the law it is illegal.

I have no clue why you are asking for exact wording that make "fake news illegal" in the Act. Unfortunately it is not worded the way that you expect it to be. Maybe you have a hard time reading between the lines, your demanding, in denial or all of the above.
edit on 25-12-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join