It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy
Today I refined the red graphs a bit more, they were a little small and hard to see what was actually going on each day.
To do so I changed from Flipcard style to Snapshot. A few CSS tweeks and it looks a lot better, even has the date supplied via the post title so I don't have to mess about with the image editing as much.
I'm all graphed out for the day.
A moderate quake at each end of Japan 7 minutes apart two and a half hours ago
5.6, 2016-09-26 05:19:56, 28.03°N, 128.05°E, 10, Ryukyu Is
5.2, 2016-09-26 05:13:26, 41.66°N, 142.92°E, 37, Hokkaido

I thought the 100-trace Continuous Waveform graph would be interesting, so went and fetched it from NIED.
indeed, I have never seen one like that before where the tails are coming from top and bottom like that.
Top one is Hokkaido, bottom one is Ryukyu Is

edit on 0900000026926916 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Then there is a 6.0 40.3km NNE of Nago, Japan

earthquake.usgs.gov...-info
edit on 26-9-2016 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2016 by crappiekat because: to add link

Just wanted to add since I had the time left.

There is a Typhoon Megi heading for this area. Eric, you were talking about weather affecting area's where earthquakes occur.

weather.com...
edit on 26-9-2016 by crappiekat because: to add link

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
We have touchdown.

YESSSSSS. I just notice an earthquake near Taiwan. I thought to myself, why couldn't this happen last week when that typhoon was bearing down on China. Muzzy alerted me to the storm and we watched, and nothing happened.

BUT. Not today. I thought, hey let's check the wind map and see if there's anything in the area. Not only is something in the area, there's a typhoon right on top of the epicenter.

weather.com...

It's not a coincidence. Typhoon Megi is right over the earthquake. The other typhoons passed over and nothing happened. Or did it? Who's to say the the pressure and wave patterns, and the tides, and the rain having time to travel deep into the crust.

I am convinced, weather causes earthquakes. It's a fact.

Oh, and Crappiekat, I read your post after I posted, you noticed the weather as well. Good job. Umm, Crappie Kat. Is your name Katherine, and you fish for Crappie, maybe???

Edit, to add more. Something may be brewing west of Yellowstone. Near Hebgen lake. It's a small swarm. I think the only reason I'm thinking there's more to see, is probably an over-reaction due to it being so desperately quiet over the last 6 months or more. Oh, Norris is inflating again. I'm watching uplift again. I don't think the caldera cap is subsiding anymore. It's seems to have paused and may be going up. Or, it's just seasonal data doo hickey stuff. It's not doing much....

edit on 26-9-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I've noticed Ole Yella..

Also been noticing this morning Bombay Beach, CA is rocking and rolling too. Little swarm going on.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 26-9-2016 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Yes, I posted a graph of Yellowstone on the Yellowstone page. Not everything it listed by Utah, and the USGS, so I don't know it's there's more than two epicenters.

And, as for Salton, here's a graph of that. I'm not going to label it a swarm, just because it's hard when the biggest isn't much over 4M. Salton is know for swarms, so, I'll just say it's groovin' in Southern, Southern California...

I'm going to edit. There's been 44 earthquakes in the Salton Sea. It started with a series of smaller ones, that slowly climbed until it this 4M. I'm calling it as swarm because it started slow and built up and then peaked, and then slowed in a short period of time. Very quickly.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I didn't screw up and triple post. The stupid ATS is being hacked or something and is slow. I have fast internet and super fast computer and every other website, including USGS map is super fast. ATS is being glitchy.

So....

The graph for Salton Sea...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Okay cool, I have a window here, and nothing but space and time. Too bad I have said all there is to say. Really. I'm repeating myself. And repeating myself. I wonder if I could do some sort of endurance test where I just talk and talk non-stop. I wonder if there's a record for that. I'm sure there is. I would only do it, if I could do some sort of telethon and raise money, or, just try and get my crazy ideas to spread like a bad rash. I understand viral. I just can't get it started. There is some weird formula I bet. So, I need cats, some way to hurt and embarrass myself, and or, rant, be racist, be outrageously cultural and hip. Learn an announcer voice and sound professional when making videos to promote myself. Stretch the truth, and edit to make is dramatic like a soap opera. Tell a story. Sorry.

I don't want to make videos anymore. I think I only come out here to express myself and bounce kooky ideas about this gooey planet. I say gooey. Because only a teeny tiny bit is hard crust. You just think you stand on solid ground. That solid ground, is as thin as an onion skin, and is only cool and solid for the moment. Not that long ago, really, it was a molten ball of magma.

Oh, I'm done. I'm going to post a video about Hawaii and the gooey stuff coming out of the "solid" ground.

wait

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

I was thinking swarm because of the 10 plus earthquakes in such a short time.. possibly nothing to it. Like you said they tend to have them although haven't noticed this type of activity there in a long time like maybe a year however my mind is cloudy so ...

Sand Andreas is the fault there right?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

www.kesq.com...

And there's been 45 to this point...

There was a similar 4M in 2015, and I think a swarm in 2012. But here's the kicker, I found something that may suggest a volcano. Hmmm. And swarms are usually associated with what???? We all know, volcanoes....

From an article.

"Earthquake swarms and a region-wide rotten egg smell recently reminded Southern California residents they live next to an active volcano field, tiny though it may be.
At the time, scientists said the phenomena did not reflect changes in the magma chamber below the Salton Sea. But now, researchers may need to revise estimates of the potential hazard posed by the Salton Buttes—five volcanoes at the lake's southern tip.
The buttes last erupted between 940 and 0 B.C., not 30,000 years ago, as previously thought, a new study detailed online Oct. 15 in the journal Geology reports. The new age—which makes these some of California's youngest volcanoes—pushes the volcanic quintuplets into active status. The California Volcano Observatory, launched in February by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), already lists the area as a high threat for future blasts."

Source

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Yeah when I said 10 plus Im only looking at 2.5 or higher. Had no clue 45.. that is a lot.

I remember West Coast talking about the possibility of an eruption back a year or two ago. It does appear to be pretty active and who knows what it all means but it has my attention.

ETA: Robin I just watched this... had no clue the volcano was deemed "active" in 2012?

edit on 26-9-2016 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

That's the Ryukyu Is one, USGS have over rated it, the NIED traces don't lie. Bet it comes down later on.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think the material in the Earths Core has suddenly expanded this week, just look at the posts on ATS
A bunch of deep M6's and 5's around the Pacific Plate, Fiji then 3 minutes later 3x4s in NZ, one of the M4 quakes was right under the bridge between Ruapehu and Ngaurahoe volcano, renewed activity at Yellowstone, swarm at Salton Sea, both volcanic areas
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a new volcano eruption somewhere on the Ring of Fire this week.

So if the Subduction Theory is to be believed.....
The Pacific Plate edge disappears down the western subduction zone, into the core, the core takes the extra crust and melts it, so the mass inside the core gets bigger so it has to expand,
its a bit like if you eat too much food, your belly expands....
eventually you have to go to the toilet (volcanic eruption) and get rid of that extra food

What makes the crust begin to subduct in the first place is the big question
a bit like the chicken and the egg, which comes first? the crust expanding or the crust subducting

if we look back on the earthquake lists prior to this what was going on?
Africa and Reykjanes Ridge were active, was that the start of this expansion?
Lake Tanganyika Region 4.9, Mozambique 5.6, Northwest of Madagascar 5.1, Lake Victoria Region 5.8
The African Rift Valley is the biggest volcanic rift on the planet
maybe I'm just cherry picking the African quakes, but I'm always looking for something out of the ordinary that could be a clue to what is causing all these earthquakes in a cluster time wise

One missing link in the subduction theory is "where are the earthquakes in the middle of the Pacific Plate to indicate the Plate is expanding?"
Hawaii is not really in the centre, but it is part of the central Pac Ridge system that includes the East Pacific Rise (nothing on the lists going back 10 days) and Easter Island Region (I see 4.7, 4.7, 5.4, 4.9, 5.0, 5.0 of 10-26/9/2016), thats it.

Or maybe its the Plates acting like bumper cars at the fairground
The Antarctic Plate is the forgotten Plate, it has volcano's on the Plate (Mt Erebus is constantly active) and volcanoes around the edge of the plate (South Sandwich Is, Balleny Is, McDonald Is (between Africa and Australia), Bouvet Is (S of Africa)
So where are the Antarctica bumper quakes?
Ah ha
Macquarie Is 6.1 of 8/9, and aftershocks
South Sandwich Is 5.2, 5.3, 4.9, 5.2, 4.9, 5.2, 4.9, 5.1, 5, 5.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.0 of 14-24/9/2016

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You're also forgetting Iceland had some swarms and people were excited about that. It's calmed a bit. Also, if we're looking around, there's a bunch near Easter Island. Of course, it's a volcanic island, but it's thought to be extinct. And, I agree with Africa being part of whatever. As we both noted, it was quiet a while ago. Now, things picked up, and they're not exactly normal patterns.

Oh, Hawthorne, Nevada is a little swarmy.

And Hawaii. I know it's actively erupting, but today's there's been a few. And, if I wasn't lazy, I'd have stats to Hawaii is above average lately. I could be wrong.

And, now there's a couple new, small ones at the north end of the Salton Sea. I'm going to get beer. I'm going to watch two entertaining things today. Earthquakes, and the political earthquake coming later tonight , when two giant negatives collide.

Also, there was a small swarm last week just south of today's swarm area.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I edited in some more stuff before I read your post.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
Today I refined the red graphs a bit more, they were a little small and hard to see what was actually going on each day.
To do so I changed from Flipcard style to Snapshot. A few CSS tweeks and it looks a lot better, even has the date supplied via the post title so I don't have to mess about with the image editing as much.
I'm all graphed out for the day.

Well that seems to have been a good move, 373 pageviews yesterday, up from the usual 25-36 a day.
6 directly from ATS, thanks for your interest.
Timeline graphs are probably more informative than the pie graphs, and are not subject to W10 updates ballsing up the layout.
862 to go, to bring the page up to date

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is my second attempt at a post.
I totally erased two or more paragraphs because it was terrible writing.

A story, needs a beginning, a middle, and a end... I still haven't gotten the ending, but it's close enough.

When I started writing today, there was about 20 earthquake under the Salton Sea. Now, there are about 114 earthquakes around the Sea. In the last hour, the map is showing lots of red. This has no real main earthquake, with some aftershocks. This would seems to be a swarm.

The debate made me sick. I didn't last 20 minutes. It was like being in middle school with two popular kids fighting about who's bowel movement smells more.

Oh, forget my words. Here's a picture. Does it look like the Salton Sea is calming down.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ericblair4891

Oh, forget my words. Here's a picture. Does it look like the Salton Sea is calming down.

No, sir. It does not.

Over the last 15 minutes a bunch of small microquakes have spread around the epicenter of earlier activity.

Within the past 24 hours the Salton Sea area has seen (2) mag 4.3 quakes, a 4.1, and (10) mag 3.0 to 3.5 earthquakes.
It all looks very 'swarmy'. There certainly hasn't been a 'normal' mainshock/aftershock progression.

Watching, until I fall asleep...which will be within the hour.

ETA: I forgot to ask, Eric. Do you know if there has been rain there recently, or a low pressure center over the area?
edit on 9/26/2016 by Olivine because: ask a question

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Here's a little post I made back in June speculating about a potential distal VT quake swarm- possible being related to the Salton sea:

I am about to introduce a new term known to few if any on ATS, but known to the volcanology scientific community. It is called a "distal earthquake swarm". This is a condition that occurs prior to many a volcanic eruption, and was discovered fairly recently by a couple of scientific researchers. It has been used already successfully in predicting a couple of volcanic eruptions.

I will leave it up to you, those that really want to know, to search this out for themselves and learn.

But the point here is this: the Salton Sea area has a volcanic history. It might be possible that this massive swarm is a new "distal" magmatic intrusion. They typically occur around 15 to 20 km from the actual volcano. I admit, it is a highly unlikely theory, but it is possible. Please, research this thoroughly before commenting on this post- and perhaps you will see why I am suggesting this. The quakes are at about the right depth and about the right distance. Still, rather unlikely.

That was from that thread a while back about the massive barrage of aftershocks from a 5.2 northwest of the Salton Sea. Thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

With three 4+ quakes now happening right in the middle of the sea, plus all those high 3's, let's hope that "DVT" swarm I was speculating on wasn't actually happening. I mean we all figured it was tectonic. But now, 4+'s suggest magmatic activity, considering where those quakes are occurring under the lake, and considering Salton's volcanic history. So it really might have been a DVT swarm we witnessed back in June. Closest I can get in on the action with realtime data is a station about 10 km away. I see them. A Yup, something's going on.
edit on Tue Sep 27th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

I was thinking of your earlier posts on this area after reading Eric's post and checking the seismos.

The main 'line' of earthquakes, and their associated focal mechanisms seem to be on NE strike, like a step-over fault from the Gulf to the Imperial fault to the San Andreas.
The crust is thin in this area and it can be labeled as an extension of the rifting from further south in the Gulf of California, so...mantle material isn't too far below the surface.
How would you characterize the spectra/seismograms? Wholly tectonic looking, or more muddled volcano-tectonic flavor?
edit on 9/27/2016 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/27/2016 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Well, I certainly haven't detected any tremor yet or anything. But keep in mind I'm 10 km out. So I can't get a real close look at them- and since I literally just started monitoring, I don't have a good baseline yet, because I haven't seen any of the bigger, over 3+ quakes yet live. I suppose I could D/L some raw data though... Lemme take a look...

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join