It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I don't like watching Nevada and California, but I do. They are way too busy. And, the simple fact, that they are doing everything from fracking, injection, mining, irrigating, geo-thermal, and, maybe secret tunneling, bombs, umm whatever.

It makes the map a mess. But, among the jumble, I noticed some different. Nevada has it's patterns, and periodic swarms. But right now, just east of the Northwestern Nevada Swarm,(near Lakeview Oregon as listed) there's a small cluster.

I'm not saying nothing. Just saying.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Lets try this again!

An eq advisory for southern California.
Is this a credible source?

247headline.com...

WOQ
edit on 30-9-2016 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong!
I even put in a separate search for the site & linked from there,
it still comes up internal server error the second time that I click on it!

Can somebody help a tech challenged, old as dirt person out???

https//:247headline.com/earthquake-advisory-issued-for-southern-California

WOQ

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
At about the same time as the Salton Sea Swarm

Swarm Eastern Tottori Pref, Honshu, 26 Sept 2016

a bit smaller in energy released, about the same number of events, but E Tottori spread out a bit longer.
Looking at the two graphs its almost like a mirror or tandem swarms (I'll overlay the Tottori events on the Salton Sea graph after breakfast and see what it looks like)

ads fuel to the expanding core scenerio of 29/6/2016?

Salton Sea page for reference (with graph)

There was a 627 event swarm to the north east E Tottori 17-28 Oct 2015
might be worth checking to see what else was going on Oct 17-28th 2015 in other parts of the world?

Why Tottori and Salton Sea?
edit on 0900000027327316 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

the link is working OK

creditable?
I have no idea.
no harm in being alert at all times anyway

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891
first thing I seen on the National Geographic Terrain map after the dots at 2km scale was "Hot Springs range"
say no more

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Eric,have you seen this www.latimes.com... ?

Seems they think the sun and moon gravitational pull can trigger quakes.

And that the San Andreas may be gearing up.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonlover12

Hello, yes I saw it. News has been showing up in my email for weeks. Today, for example there was a news article on the weather network that talks about a black moon. I'm like hey, what's a black moon? I know lots about the moon, yet I didn't know this. So, a blue is two full moons in a month. A black moon is two new moons in a month. I wasn't going to mention the moon today. But. I think the tides just caused a tiny earthquake. It's all Muzzy's fault, he gave me the funky wind map. And, when I check enhanced weather satellites, it's easy to pick out storms and figuring out which way they are going. I saw one off New York. The wind is crazy, And there's a storm right on top of it.

So there's that.

I wish I could take a screen shot of the wind...

Also, tiny ones in the southwest USA. Two on the crazy bend on the Mississip

edit on 30-9-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
further to: muzzy
not 4 hours later by any means but .........thats ATS

rightclickviewimagefor fullsize

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just had a shake here, 12:00 noon NZDT on the dot (edit: it took me 20 seconds to look at the time?, my time doesn't have seconds, so it was 12:00 not 11:59:44) )
no data yet

here it is, just to the SSW, Cook Strait
www.geonet.org.nz...
felt stronger

holy cow people were quick to report it, 1282 within 3 minutes

Oh, its been a while since I filled in a report, they have changed it, 2 ticks and its done.
You get a map showing the results, when you are done, up to 3353 in the last 5 minutes!

4.4 now, reviewed

really?
it looks bigger on IRIS
ds.iris.edu...

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Earthquake in the mid-Atlantic. Giant storm right on top. Yesterday, I want to say nothing about Cuba. But what the heck. The whole Caribbean was swirling with wind. The winds were flying between Cuba and Haiti. I was also going to state the similarity between Cuba and New Zealand. The earthquakes were both between two islands groups. I checked the winds yesterday around New Zealand. The winds were whipping through the straight between the two big islands.

Stormy time of year. The weather is changing. How does it go? I'm not a fan- never seen an episode- "winter's coming"

for Muzzy, spring is about to bloom.

I didn't even come online to look at the shaky planet, I was going to email my dad to bring sunflower seeds...
and I FORgot to do that. I'm old...

carry on
tarry on

edit on 1-10-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you follow the Daily Timeline graphs for Japan (the red ones) did you ever wonder "hmm, I wonder how that is spread island to island?"?
Well I did, so I split the data into six areas, and made a new graph.
Kurile Is
Hokkaido
Honshu
Kyushu
Ryukyu Is
Izu Is

It looks like the grandkids had a fun time with the coloured pens

But its for real, compare with the classic red one below, it is from the same data.

You can see them both on the same page on 30.9.2016
Interesting how Honshu and Kyushu are the backbone, with the others jumping in with some bigger quakes.
you can sort of see it on the maps anyway, but it becomes more clearer with the graph

I just had a thought, I could probably do it quicker using the FE_regions, which I can get off a QVS Datapro function.
I did all that graph by setting Lat/Long breaks, but its not 100% accurate
I might try that next time.

edit on 1000000027527516 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
further to: muzzy
I ran the data through the FE_Region locations tool.
Made it a bit easier to make the graph
We now have Shikoku included.
I will write a paragraph on the Navigation page explaining what the graph shows,
basically it is broken down as follows, but may vary from time to time if something else occurs (eg South Korea has not been included, but going back a few weeks it would have been)
So for 30.09.2016 as an example, the FE_regions are as below, and the JMA/NIED regions in CAPITALS (sorted by alphabet)

Kurile Is
Kuril Islands incl.JMA regions
E OFF HOKKAIDO
NEAR ETOROFU ISLAND
NEAR KUNASHIRI ISLAND
OFF NEMURO PENINSULA

Hokkaido
Hokkaido. Japan Region
E OFF AOMORI PREF
HIDAKA MOUNTAINS REGION
HIDAKA REGION
KAMIKAWA-SORACHI REGION
S OFF URAKAWA
SE OFF ERIMOMISAKI
SE OFF TOKACHI
SHIRETOKO PENINSULA REG
TAISETSU MOUNTAINS REG
TESHIKAGA REGION
TSUGARU STRAIT REGION

Honshu
Western Honshu. Japan
Near S. Coast Of Western Honshu
Eastern Honshu. Japan
Near East Coast Of Honshu. Japan
Near S. Coast Of Honshu. Japan
Southeast Of Honshu. Japan
Off East Coast Of Honshu. Japan
Near West Coast Of Honshu. Japan
Eastern Sea Of Japan
AKAISHI MOUNTAINS REG
AWAJISHIMA ISLAND REGION
CENTRAL AICHI PREF
CENTRAL CHIBA PREF
CENTRAL FUKUI PREF
CENTRAL NAGANO PREF
CENTRAL SHIZUOKA PREF
CENTRAL WAKAYAMA PREF
CENTRAL YAMANASHI PREF
E OFF AOMORI PREF
E OFF BOSO PENINSULA
E OFF FUKUSHIMA PREF
E OFF IBARAKI PREF
E OFF IWATE PREF
E OFF MIYAGI PREF
EASTERN AOMORI PREF
EASTERN FUKUSHIMA PREF
EASTERN TOTTORI PREF
FAR E OFF FUKUSHIMA PREF
FAR E OFF IBARAKI PREF
FAR E OFF NORTH HONSHU
FAR S OFF BOSO PENINSULA
FAR SE OFF BOSO PEN
HARIMANADA SETONAIKAI
HIDA MOUNTAINS REGION
ISHIKAWA PREF
KAGAWA PREF
KANAGAWA PREF
KINKAZAN REGION
KUJUKURI COAST BOSO PEN
KYOTO OSAKA BORDER REG
MID FUKUSHIMA PREF
MID KYOTO PREF
MID NIIGATA PREF
NE AICHI PREF
NE OFF IWATE PREF
NE WAKAYAMA PREF
NEAR CHOSHI CITY
NEAR MATSUSHIRO
NEAR TORISHIMA IS
NORTHERN AKITA PREF
NORTHERN CHIBA PREF
NORTHERN GIFU PREF
NORTHERN IBARAKI PREF
NORTHERN IWATE PREF
NORTHERN MIE PREF
NORTHERN MIYAGI PREF
NORTHERN NAGANO PREF
NW GUNMA PREF
NW OFF KYUSHU
NW SHIGA PREF
NW WAKAYAMA PREF
OKAYAMA PREF
OSAKA PREF
S PART OF KII CHANNEL
SADOGASHIMA IS REG
SAGAMI BAY REGION
SAGAMINADA
SE GIFU PREF
SE GUNMA PREF
SE OFF MIYAGI PREF
SENDAI BAY REGION
SHIGA GIFU BORDER REGION
SHIMANE HIROSHIMA BORDER
SOUTHERN AKITA PREF
SOUTHERN IBARAKI PREF
SOUTHERN IWATE PREF
SOUTHERN MIE PREF
SOUTHERN MIYAGI PREF
SOUTHERN NAGANO PREF
SOUTHERN NARA PREF
SOUTHERN SURUGA BAY REG
SOUTHERN WAKAYAMA PREF
SOUTHERN YAMAGATA PREF
SW GIFU PREF
SW HYOGO PREF
SW IBARAKI PREF
SW SHIMANE PREF
TOCHIGI GUNMA BORDER
TOKYO BAY REGION
TOYAMA PREF
W OFF AKITA PREF
WESTERN AOMORI PREF
WESTERN FUKUSHIMA PREF
WESTERN HIROSHIMA PREF
WESTERN NAGANO PREF
WESTERN TOTTORI PREF
YAMAGUCHI PREF

Kyushu
Kyushu. Japan
AMAKUSA REGION
CENTRAL FUKUOKA PREF
HYUGANADA REGION
IYONADA SETONAIKAI
NAGASAKI PREF
NE FUKUOKA PREF
NE KUMAMOTO PREF
NEAR TANEGASHIMA ISLAND
NEAR UNZENDAKE
NORTHERN ARIAKEKAI REG
NORTHERN MIYAZAKI PREF
NW KAGOSHIMA PREF
NW KUMAMOTO PREF
NW OFF KYUSHU
SAGA PREF
SATSUMA PENINSULA REGION
SOUTHERN KUMAMOTO PREF
SOUTHERN OITA PREF
W OFF AMAKUSA ISLAND
YAMAGUCHI PREF

Ryukyu Is
Ryukyu Islands. Japan
Southwestern Ryukyu Isl.. Japan
Southeast Of Ryukyu Islands
Taiwan Region
Northwest Of Ryukyu Islands
Taiwan
NEAR AMAMI-OSHIMA ISLAND
NEAR ISHIGAKIJIMA ISLAND
NEAR MINAMI-DAITOJIMA IS
NEAR MIYAKOJIMA ISLAND
NEAR OKINAWAJIMA ISLAND
NEAR TOKARA ISLANDS
NW OFF ISHIGAKIJIMA IS
NW OFF OKINAWAJIMA IS
SW OFF KYUSHU
TAIWAN REGION

Izu Is
Southeast Of Honshu. Japan
E OFF HACHIJOJIMA ISLAND
FAR E OFF IZU ISLANDS
NEAR HACHIJOJIMA ISLAND
NEAR TORISHIMA IS

Shikoku
Shikoku. Japan
Southeast Of Shikoku. Japan
AKINADA SETONAIKAI
BUNGO CHANNEL
E OFF TANEGASHIMA ISLAND
HYUGANADA REGION
IYONADA SETONAIKAI
NE EHIME PREF
S PART OF KII CHANNEL
SE KOCHI PREF
SE OFF SHIKOKU
SW EHIME PREF
TOKUSHIMA PREF

Interesting how BUNGO CHANNEL and IYONADA SETONAIKAI fall within the Shikoku region, being a waterway between Shikoku and Kyushu and Honshu repectively, it could have gone to either other island.
I don't have a map of the JMA regions, it would be handy for reference, I might e-mail them and see if there is one available.

Note: The FE_ regions are seismic zones proposed by Edward A. Flinn and E. R. Engdahl and have been widely accepted by the seismic monitoring community. Some networks do their own regions, such as JMA, EMSC and USGS, USGS still put the FE_region on the "origin" page, even though they use that stupid "123" km SW of "obscure town" description on the front page.
GEOFON use it as a the sole baseline region locator on their lists

so there you go

edit: It is solely thanks to Puterman that this is possible to achieve (the graphs and the maps) using the QVS Datapro program he created. It's quite an amazing tool, the more I use it the more options I find that he has included.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I don't have a map of the JMA regions, it would be handy for reference, I might e-mail them and see if there is one available.

No need, I found it on their FAQ page. Shows the 4 main islands anyway.
not sure if you have to be registered to open this page.

www.hinet.bosai.go.jp...

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Did one for the 1st Oct JST, it looks a bit messier, possibly because all pretty low magnitudes and the Kuriles (green) and Izu (bright pink) didn't have many events and even those were spread out, created a couple of streaks across the graph.

Still, that is sort of what I wanted to show on the Snapshot Thumbs you see on the front page, an overview at a glance

Izu and Shikoku are switched in order on the graph key, but the colours are the same on each graph.
I'll get a template going soon, I only started this yesterday.

Might do some more this afternoon, it's flipping raining again!, forecast for the next 10 days is showers.

Spring is here for sure. The winds usually pick up in October (our southern hemisphere Ides of March) but it might be different this year, things have changed big time over the last 5 years with the climate.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

What do you make of this?

Six quakes, near the fault junction, in the last week:

160km SE of Hasaki, Japan
2016-10-02 23:54:34 (UTC)
33.4 km

135km ESE of Ohara, Japan
2016-10-01 11:03:45 (UTC)
10.0 km

126km ESE of Ohara, Japan
2016-10-01 09:40:23 (UTC)
10.0 km

148km ESE of Katsuura, Japan
2016-09-29 23:21:01 (UTC)
10.0 km

133km ESE of Ohara, Japan
2016-09-27 19:22:25 (UTC)
24.4 km

145km ESE of Katsuura, Japan
2016-09-26 21:29:18 (UTC)
10.0 km

Unusual or not?

WOQ

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Go to my page Far SE of Bozo Pen on japanquakes.blogspot.co.nz (in my signature) there have been over 300 aftershocks, there was a 6.7 on the 23rd Sept
On my phone right now, coffee time on the job

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Already in bed, I'm on my phone.
Will check it out tomorrow on the computer.
Gotten lazy lately, don't go on the computer much anymore, but I miss a lot that way!

Thanks!
WOQ

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Long time lurker (many years), finally got an account to join in on this thread. Last week when the Salton Sea was acting up, someone was wondering what the weather had been like just previously. There's a theme in one of these discussions about if perhaps the water/air pressure (hurricanes/tropical storms/etc) has any influence on the land below it. I believe Eric was making the connection.

And, of course RSOE is a site I check almost obsessively, hourly sometimes. Ya'll have taught me that the influences of EQs perhaps set off other EQs, and also this new theory that water water water lubricates the fault lines. (Again, Eric the man who only eats one kind of soup sounds like he's on to something here.) And I've sat an watched Muzzy carry conversations with himself at times, posting and posting and posting and reposting the graphs. (I'm listening to ya, Muzzy!)

TWO THINGS:

When the Salton Sea began acting up last week, I believe Eric Soup was the one who mentioned something about "not having noticed any weather issues" prior to the trembles (not direct quote). BUT WAIT!! I've been watching like you guys say, and YES!! Right before the Salton Sea started dancing, there was a Tropical Storm (very weak) that came off of the coast of Central America, and hooked a sharp right, almost a U-turn, and headed BACK across the northernmost tip of Mexico---JUST SOUTH of the Salton Sea. (I live in SoCal, so I keep my eye on this area specifically.) As it died down, moving over Mexico, I was relieved, glad it wouldn't be heading any further north up that coast. Then....BOOM!!!! Salton Sea goes nuts. So there's that.

Next thing:

Checking my RSOE map this morning, I see that there has been an "Earthquake" marking set ON the San Andreas Fault line as of 3:04 am, Oct 2, California time. There's NO details- not what size, what time, how deep, etc. Can ya'll explain this to me? It's not even a "normal" marking of an EQ (blinking box of differing colors), it's one of those yellow boxes that usually signal "explosion". But it's labeled EQ.

And thank you so much for everything you guys do. I know we're all just hoping that on the other side of the computer screen sits a smart, compassionate, denying-ignorance human. This forum, especially this thread, makes me feel like no matter what my government does/does not do, if I prepare myself, I will be able to take care of myself and my family. As a parent, there is no greater feeling. Thank you, all of you.

Muzzy
Eric
True American
MamaJ
(and I know I'm forgetting a couple...)

Cheers,
HFG

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Umm.

So, yesterday, I get an alert email stating California is warning of the big one. I thought it was some doom prophet making up something. I know I make predictions. But, I really try and use trends and the history of areas. Last week, I was watching Salton because I thought it had some possible, serious results. But, I also know there's been lots of swarms.

It was official, Governor Brown has alert people to be prepared. The USGS did not make the warning, but when asked, they state the odds, and say the south end could be due. They are just stating the obvious. So, whatever. But why now, after the swarm died off. I was barely watching when I got the email. I wasn't seeing much. So, I decided to ignore it at first. I was going to start a thread. Then, I noticed they made one.

The reason began to rethink the swarm, was that the "new" old area, was back at it. We all know where last week's swarm was. It was near the two previous swarms as mapped. But, last week, I added that there was a smaller swarm to the south, the week or so, previous. Yesterday, I noticed the southern swarm is back. It's building again. It's not much, and I can't find a good graph without working hard. They are small, but one did go 3+M.

The only reason I'm thinking that there may be a big one is, because of these southern additions to the equation. Right now, we're getting the call, and response as in music. Oh, I thought they had a special term for this, but no. Bird's call and respond. I love it. I like imitating calls and messing with birds.

One zone seems to be calling, the other responding. Think about it, earthquakes travel is waves. Sound is waves.

Resonance.

I want you to watch a video. It's about the British. I'm going to make fun of the British and it's all right, I'm about half limey. They constructed a pedestrian bridge. The problem was that no one thought of the mass of people. No, that's wrong. They did calculate the structural strength of the mass of people. What didn't calculate for was the mass moving. And when the mass moved, the people had to change they're "wave-length" or stride length, because the bridge started swaying with the walking people. Soon, both bridge and people matched frequency and hilarity ensued...

My point is in there somewhere...

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl

Okay, let's get one thing straight. It's not that I eat one kind of soup. I don't like soup. It's just that I make great soup, because I don't like it. I was making gravy, and soup was a byproduct. The one that I ate too much of was chicken veggie. I made more last night, leek and potato and my kid loved it.

I wish I had been watching closer the weather that day. But thanks, for adding that there was a storm to south. Was there a storm the week or so before that one is So Cal. With the droughts, I forget it does rain there and storms shoot through. I'm not really counting the second swarm as the beginning of this activity. But I don't count anything out completely. It could have started in the south from whatever reason, then the first activity primes the stress of the second which is triggered by pressure. Also, don't forget wave action. Ocean waves can show up on graphs. I believe a storm can batter a coastline with waves, and that this can trigger earthquakes. It's combinations of things. And they can vary in order. This is why earthquakes are so hard to predict. There are many, many factors with differing percentages and ratio in the sequence of events.

And I don't do that website mentioned, too many non events. I stick to simple maps and cross reference as much as I can with graphs and reports.

Oh, and gravy, I made my son poutine. Homemade gravy, fresh cut fries, and real cheese curds.

He said it was the best.

Had to add, because I was rereading Muzzy's stuff on Japan. I don't comment on Japan much because Muzzy's already taking care of it and I'm lazy. But, from his observations, it seems he is seeming a call response as well. We've discussed this seeming back and forth before, when I think, we were looking a Nevada and the differing swarms. Wait, now I remember. It's stopped now for the most part, but, Northern Nevada and Idaho were doing the back and forth as well.

It's either there is some sort of remote triggering, or we're just imagining things...
ha

Had to add more. I just checked the small ones. Idaho had two small ones near Challis. I thought, hey, the North end of Nevada is quiet. I had to check how quiet. Seven days without any earthquake. This is a place that had been rocking for over a year. Now she's quiet. So, that's different. Does that mean the North Swarm is over... There may be tiny ones off and on. But the swarm looks dormant. And the rest of Nevada is still low. However, Yellowstone, after having been kinda quiet for a long while, is now slightly noisy, and at constant low hum.

Back to Nevada for a minute. Over the last 30 days, Northern Nevada has only managed two over 2.5M and both of them were about a month ago.

I'm going to call it over. Unless of it starts back up before I finish this sentence, and makes me a liar.

I don't like being me. Can someone else do it for awhile? I couldn't let it go. I had to go back and reread the article I posted about the Salton Buttes.

Duh, when I went back to the google maps and flew around, I found them, and the geothermal plant. Duh. Who is to say, that they haven't been ones responsible for the southern earthquake swarm. It's right under the plant. If they're pumping water down, then they could have off the first swarm which then trigger the others. The more I try to pin the real source, the more I can't figure which is the chicken and which is the egg.

I'm laughing. How did I miss the fact there's a pump there? I've been railing and ranting about man earthquakes for too long. Now, are they going to set off the San Andres by pumping water into the ground? Why not? Injection and thermal plants cause earthquakes.

Earthquakes can relieve stress, as it loads stress somewhere else. Where's the stress going that is generate under the Salton?

Help me. Okay, we a desert. And we have a mistake of an inland lake, due to an engineering mistake. We have people living in the Valley, and farming. So, they are pumping water up from the aquifer. They're draining that sucker dry. Also, at the same time, they are pumping water down. Water is travelling in different directions under the ground. Of course they're at different depths and as such, may not interact directly. However, I'm more concerned about the differing pressures at each level and migration.

Are they trying to set off the San Andres? Did no one think, "Hey, this isn't a good idea!" There's a volcano, under super thin crust, at the terminal end of a giant fault. I guess they're not worried.

Before

After

edit on 3-10-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join