It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2016

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

So your pond produces three M4+, and hundreds of smaller quakes as well when it dries up? All at shallow volcanic depth?

Interesting.

posted on Sep, 27 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
An interesting tidbit:
en.wikipedia.org...

The East Pacific Rise is a mid-oceanic ridge, a divergent tectonic plate boundary located along the floor of the Pacific Ocean. It separates the Pacific Plate to the west from (north to south) the North American Plate, the Rivera Plate, the Cocos Plate, the Nazca Plate, and the Antarctic Plate. It runs from an undefined point near Antarctica in the south northward to its termination at the northern end of the Gulf of California in the Salton Sea basin in southern California.

[emphasis added]

So now we know why this is a rift zone.

The connection with the San Andreas is a puzzler to me though, since SA isn't a rift.

edit on 28-9-2016 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

It's a big pond. In the 1950's the Sea was big and full. Since then, it has continuously dried and shrank. In the last few years, with the drought, the rate has increased, hence the increase in swarms. I was using a pond as an example to illustrate what happens to clay when it dries out. Our garden was same way since it was clay. In summer, after the soil dried in heat, it would split wide open. And, the cracks were very geometrical. If you walked on our suffering garden, you'd see that it was a grid. You could bend down and pick up the broken pieces of soil. They were squares. The earth had shattered in squares due to the drying. As the Salton Sea dries, it is cracking open like dried up river bed.

Alright, I lied, they're not exactly square. But they are, very geometric

edit on 28-9-2016 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Lol, I know, I'm just messing with you man.

To be honest the USGS is probably right. They almost always are, when it comes to diagnosing rupture patterns to determine if quakes are related to volcanic activity. But there's always that little bit of unsureness, as you can see from the watering down of the title. It went from an absolute, to a "probably not." But keep in mind that can change in an instant, once more data is reviewed and qualified- the same way their magnitudes do on worldwide quakes. I am just giving my first impressions on the character of seismicity relative to what I have witnessed before at Yellowstone and other places. There are serious similarities.

But alas, this swarm is happening a bit north of the actual volcano, so again, they are probably right.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

But wait, I also said it was volcanic. That's the ticket. Muzzy was stating he notices an expansion and certain places becoming active. I agreed. Many. Including Yellowstone have woken up after being sleepy. The Salton Sea is tectonic because the forces on the surface have change and the ground has cracked up. However, nothing has a single factor in the equation. The thin crust, along with, (Maybe it's only in Muzzy's and my imagination, a world wide push on some volcanic areas) Oh, and as to why the Sea is a rift, I think it has to do with angles. Thanx, more research. If the Salton Sea has a thin crust, and if there is some sort of extra pressure from volcanic forces, this could have triggered the tectonic activity. Just because a volcano influences tectonic activity, it does not mean there is a sole factor. The magma pushes up, the thin, dry old crust, like my dry old skin, cracks.

Therefore, the USGS is right in say that it's tectonic in nature. But, they really have no right in saying that it is not volcanic because there is absolutely no way to say that it isn't behind the tectonic activity. Isn't this the chicken and the egg thing

Oh, and just to add, the last activity was 1800 years ago as stated in the California Volcano Observatory fact sheet in case I got confused.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ericblair4891
Oh, and as to why the Sea is a rift, I think it has to do with angles. Thanx, more research.

Well, it is a spreading area, the terminus of the East Pacific Rift. What confuses me is the transition from a rift / spreading zone to the transform fault / right-lateral strike-slip type. My guess is that the rifting is basically has to stop there because of it encountering, head on, the North American plate. So any spreading transforms to a sliding motion with the SA on the west side moving northwards.

Think of standing on the rift zone facing north and the rift takes a 90 degrees clockwise rotation. So, everything on your left has nowhere to go but north.

edit on 28-9-2016 by paradoxious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Therefore, the USGS is right in say that it's tectonic in nature. But, they really have no right in saying that it is not volcanic because there is absolutely no way to say that it isn't behind the tectonic activity.

Well, I don't know about their "right" to say it, but I do know that when magma breaks rock during an intrusion, it usually does so in such a way to cause the resulting earthquakes to have certain characteristics- depending on the type of intrusion. A dyke intrusion for example will break rock in a certain way. A sill intrusion in another. An eruptive column in another.

So when they say it is not volcanic, I am assuming they mean that none of the known characteristics of these types of volcanic rock breakage have been detected, leading them to believe it might be, or is volcanic related. All of the signs point to tectonic.

But I remind all of you again: it took five years of study to conclusively determine that the Yellowstone Lake swarm of 2008 was indeed deemed to be a magmatic intrusion.

So the moral of the story is here that until more study, a lot more study has been done on this, I wouldn't take what ANYONE says as absolute. Because, and I'll never forget it, the initial impressions of that 2008 swarm at YS were everything BUT a magmatic intrusion. And some little article appears 5 years later that we were right all along. It was magma. So that's just some food for thought.

As a general update to this Salton Sea swarm, it has died down considerably.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

haha... ah.... Robin...

I am so glad I read your posts this morning while drinking coffee... just made the coffee taste better I think. lol I always enjoy reading your posts as Im sure everyone else does. Even the video you posted.. so calming.. almost went back to sleep.

What kind of soup did you make ? Im assuming it was fantastic!!

So I guess it's safe to say we all agree the swarm seems to be more "robust" ?

From the LA Times.

warms of small to moderate earthquakes are fairly common in the area. In 2009, the Salton Sea saw a swarm of more than 200 small quakes.

They admit the swarm increase the chance of a "bigger one".

Seismologist Lucy Jones said on Twitter on Monday night that magnitude 4 quakes near the San Andreas “increase the chance” of a big quake “a little bit. But we have swarms without big [earthquakes] — most likely nothing more will happen.” The quakes continued Tuesday but the size of the temblors were decreasing.
www.latimes.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

So the moral of the story is here that until more study, a lot more study has been done on this, I wouldn't take what ANYONE says as absolute. Because, and I'll never forget it, the initial impressions of that 2008 swarm at YS were everything BUT a magmatic intrusion. And some little article appears 5 years later that we were right all along. It was magma. So that's just some food for thought.

Good Point!!! I had completely forgotten about that. I couldn't imagine being the one who announces, " Um.... Yellowstone is about to blow so everyone RUNNNN!!!!! "

How would they announce such a thing?

Really informing video this morning on the Salton Sea drying up and how it is a time bomb to the area because of the toxicity put into the atmosphere as it dries up. It's a "killer" to put it lightly. I can't embed it or if I can.. have no clue how. You guys may be aware of such news, however I was not aware. Learn something new everyday.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Umm, just sayin'. Something may be up around Greece. Let's think back a bit to a nearby area with a big one- Italy.

Today, a couple around Greece, with a small one in Turkey. This month, Romania had a goodly one, and Macedonia popped on off. If there can be regional triggering, I'm starting to wonder about Turkey. They're over due. I don't want to bring volcanoes in the equation again, only to say, I'm sure there's volcanoes in Greece.

Okay, moving on. I was so bored and now I'm not. Another area I watched has snapped back to life. Bam

Right under the volcano, Momotombo. I haven't even looked at the webcams yet.

growl, the webcams are offline. go figure.

Yesterday when I peeked, Momotombo was smoldering pretty good.

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The African uprising continues..........

can't say I have seen the FE region ever showing on the lists before (going back 10 years)

F-E Region: Off S. Coast of Northwest Africa
Time: 2016-09-28 22:12:51.0 UTC
Magnitude: 4.8
Epicenter: 13.38°W 3.54°N
Depth: 10 km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

can't check on uselessgs

Not Found
The requested URL /earthquakes/mobile/ was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

emsc have it, but they got it from geofon anyway
2016-09-28 22:12:51.0 3.57 N 13.41 W 10 M 4.6 A OFF S. COAST OF NORTHWEST AFRICA GFZ
2016-09-28 22:12:17.1 0.10 N 17.51 W 10 M 4.8 A NORTH OF ASCENSION ISLAND SC3
2016-09-28 22:12:13.2 0.05 S 17.74 W 10 mb 4.9 M NORTH OF ASCENSION ISLAND NEIC
2016-09-28 22:12:11.3 0.07 S 17.75 W 2 mb 4.9 A NORTH OF ASCENSION ISLAND MIX
2016-09-28 22:11:35.6 7.43 S 13.12 W 33 mb 4.8 A ASCENSION ISLAND REGION LDG
www.emsc-csem.org...

ha! I had to go to emsc to get usgs's reading, 4.9mb
edit on 0900000027127116 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

hmm, W10 getting pushy again?, turns out my laptop link to USGS got changed today( I didn't change it) , it was showing dubdubdub.blah blah.blah. usgs/mobile
I changed it back to dubdubdub.blah.blah.blah usgs/map
and it works.
Might be something to do with that last update
or USGS have finally decided the Beta version, introduced what a year ago?, is now the Norm default.
I haven't changed the address for USGS on Speed Dial since I installed it when they changed from the old list layout.

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
any idee whats going on with katla's EQs today??? heavy right now...

en.vedur.is...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

Well Jon Frimann thinks its noteworthy as he calls the activity 'heavy' .... hope I'm allowed to copy and paste this as it goes more in depth : www.jonfr.com...

Worth watching - strangely EMSC have not been logging these to my knowledge unless they are too low in magnitude ?

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I think Muzzy said it when he said it's the core...

It's volcany around the world. Salton Sea just woke up again at 3M.

I got to run

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I did a page on Salton Sea, or Bombay Beach whichever you want to call it.
interactive map, Timeline graph and marked Graphs from IRIS station PFO: Pinon Flat, California, USA @ 33.61,-116.46, on average 74 km to 80 km from the swarm events. On average the travel times to the station; P wave delay +13sec, S wave +24sec. Events marked where identifiable, anything below 1.8 can't be seen on the graph.
eqarchives.blogspot.co.nz...

while I was at it, I changed eqarchives to the same style as japanquakes, with the graph snapshots, and deleted all the Bing maps, because they don't work anymore. My eyes were a bit teary when I did those deletions, I spent days and days working on those for Van and L'Aquilla, teasing them out of the data in bundles, making the CSV files, creating the KMZ files and writing up the code to publish each one. (insert swear word at Microsoft here)

Red Graphs are IN

edit on 0900000027227216 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Salton Sea just woke up again at 3M.

Damn it, I thought I was done with those IRIS graphs.
ds.iris.edu...
ah it just a one off, I won't bother adding that to my Salton page
edit on 0900000027227216 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Sorry.

P

edit on 30/9/2016 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Rainbow at Katla

I just captured this shot from the Katla cam, while watching the quake swarm there:

Pretty cool, huh?

So now where's my pic of rainier that we were promised, huh Oli???
edit on Fri Sep 30th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I never saw an eq advisory before.
What do you all make of this?
Credible source???

247headline.com...

Source: 24/7 Headline

WOQ
edit on 30-9-2016 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

The link works only once for some reason!
I'll try again on the next page.

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join