It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LGBT community should be outraged!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Actually I would! I believe in free speech period.
I may not agree but I will stand beside you and fight for your right to say it openly and publicly unless it is factually incorrect. Example: If a LGBT person stated that all Christians were hateful I could not stand beside them.
I might understand the hurt that that statement comes from but it is not factual any more than the assertions of some radical right christians who say that all male gays are child molesters (I have had arguments with people like this).
I won't fight for their right to free speech in that area since it IS WRONG.
This is also why I would have a problem standing up with KKK or for that matter any African Americans that were for violence against whites. They may have a Constitutional right to say such things but I am not going to fight too hard for it.
BTW I am what most people would label as a white hetero born again spirit filled christian.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
And how many times has there been complaints from the right about something not meeting their "guidelines/beliefs/myths/opinions"?

The American Family Association complains more than a teen suffering 'affulenza" when something doesn't agree with their very pro-Taliban mindset. They're the first to squeal like a scared piglet, the irony is RICH!

Why can't GLAAD do the same thing?

FWIW this all a media work and a planned event.

Typically the biggest mouths on both sides fell in line.

Derek

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I never even heard of this Hillbilly until this fiasco.

Its seems to me everybody in this issue is right and everybody is wrong.

The Hillbillies have a right to Hillbilly county bumpkin ignorance

And those who castigate them have the right to go down on em.

A&E has the right not to want to offend the new favored minority

And also shouldn’t sensor the guy for his private views

GLAAD has a right and responsibility to protect the interest of the LGBT community

And should be blasted for not themselves understanding that many people have been programmed into these beliefs for so long it will take time in adjusting their views

So who’s right? Nobody

So who’s wrong?
Everybody

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I wish people would understand that freedom of speech only protects you from government persecution. It does not protect you from public opinion. As a business man you can call me a faggot/sinner all you want, but I also have the right to call you bigot or say your religion is wrong before I stop buying your products.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Willtell

And those who castigate them have the right to go down on em.

No thanks!!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I didn't mean it in that way buddy, honestly
forgive me for the unintended pun

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by olaru12

I didn't mean it in that way buddy, honestly
forgive me for the unintended pun

"Buddy"? We just met............

Just havin a little fun.....This whole thing lends itself to humor, I just can't take it seriously anymore.
edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I had to deal with this issue in my family over thirty years ago when things were very different. I struggled with it for a few years. I finally realized that I loved my sibling no matter what and that their lifestyle was not mine to judge. It would be one between them and God.

I can say that people who have not personally dealt with a situation like this and are not gay or lesbian really don't know what they are talking about.

I can tell you that my family member needs no one to speak for them and do take more offense at the groups that are crying about the subject. They firmly believe that all people have the fundamental right to say what ever the hell they want. Get over yourself is what they say to those whining and crying foul.

I am personally proud they feel this way. I am proud they are not hypocrites like these others. Hey, you don't want to hear his christian swamp views change the channel. I thank God we live in a country where we can speak our minds and disagree and still be friends lol.

Just another reason America is great. We have free speech and we can disagree with each other and still get along and even be friends.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mahatche

Yes you have that right as a business person. In AandE case they are or will lose big time if they pull out. The brand is set to bring in 400 million in the next year. They were stupid to raise a stink unless it publicity stunt for them. It is the number one reality show.

From a business standpoint it was stupid move, this one show is their profit margin lol.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I agree with you completely! I am outraged, actually precisely because I support gay rights! I'm not even joking!

The recent history of our country is one where liberal opinions were often stifled in the past - in fact, the only reason that gay rights and the like have been able to succeed in our country is *because* of freedom of speech.

It is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible and unappreciative, even, for liberals to WANT to stifle freedom of speech. It's also a bad political move, because the reality of the situation is that our country is one where the conservative opinion is growing, and has traditionally been the one in charge of the social hierarchy.

The fact that liberals are supporting stifling free speech, to me shows that they are in a weak position - because they are trying to wipe out the opposition through something very similar to book-burning in that it "burns" opposing information -

But it is precisely the fact that they have turned to this method that shows how close we are to a conservative majority of opinion in this country.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This website is hilarious. So many take pride in ATS and even act like the majority here are 'in the know', yet when something that is very black and white happens, the majority on here seem to end up on the ignorant side of the argument. I still visit this website for its content, because many posters are educated and offer insight that you won't find in most places, but the majority do not. I'm sure this will be removed, but whatever. The moderation here is hilarious, as well.

So, onto the point for those who get to see my comment before it likely gets removed. If you believe this situation has anything to do with free speech, you are ignorant and in need of educating yourself. This literally has nothing to do with free speech, the First Amendment, nor any notion of protected rights. Nothing. This is two free entities doing and saying what they feel is right for their respective self's. That's it. Any notion to the contrary is hilariously misinformed.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In the other thread discussing this, it took three full pages before Kalil (I believe that is correct) mentioned this has nothing to do with free speech. 3 pages! Quite sad for a website that fancies itself as educational.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

IsntLifeFunny
This website is hilarious. So many take pride in ATS and even act like the majority here are 'in the know', yet when something that is very black and white happens, the majority on here seem to end up on the ignorant side of the argument. I still visit this website for its content, because many posters are educated and offer insight that you won't find in most places, but the majority do not. I'm sure this will be removed, but whatever. The moderation here is hilarious, as well.

So, onto the point for those who get to see my comment before it likely gets removed. If you believe this situation has anything to do with free speech, you are ignorant and in need of educating yourself. This literally has nothing to do with free speech, the First Amendment, nor any notion of protected rights. Nothing. This is two free entities doing and saying what they feel is right for their respective self's. That's it. Any notion to the contrary is hilariously misinformed.

I disagree and if you think that is ignorant so be it. I think it was a baited question and the media jumped all over it. His comments led to him being fired. Of course the show is free to do as they please with him. I really don't care about Duck Dynasty or A&E. I do see how the media wants us all to conform to their point of view though on this. I read all of these slanted articles where they keep saying he made this huge mistake, but I just don't see it. You can open the bible and find this stuff written yourself. Why not petition to outlaw the bible? I mean why not right that's not free speech either is it? Who are you punishing by doing that the author? Where is that guy will his feelings be hurt?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

ezwip

IsntLifeFunny

I disagree and if you think that is ignorant so be it. I think it was a baited question and the media jumped all over it. His comments led to him being fired. Of course the show is free to do as they please with him. I really don't care about Duck Dynasty or A&E. I do see how the media wants us all to conform to their point of view though on this. I read all of these slanted articles where they keep saying he made this huge mistake, but I just don't see it. You can open the bible and find this stuff written yourself. Why not petition to outlaw the bible? I mean why not right that's not free speech either is it? Who are you punishing by doing that the author? Where is that guy will his feelings be hurt?

I don't care for some of the media's reactions, either. But they are free to do and write as they please, as well, as long as it is not libelous or slanderous. The only reaction to have is to voice displeasure and remove support from those entities.

I actually disagree with both parties on the matter, but it literally has nothing to do with Robertson's rights. Hearing Ted Cruz get on his soapbox and talk about free speech was awesomely saddening. It really does show how misinformed or uneducated our population has become when one of a hundred senators mistakes this as a free speech crisis. Same can be said for ATS.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Personally I think you have miss-understood what freedom of speech is.

It is not the freedom to say what you want and still have a TV show, it is simply the freedom to say what you want.... which he, of course, still has.

Nobody has infringed his right to free speech.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

darkbake

I agree with you completely! I am outraged, actually precisely because I support gay rights! I'm not even joking!

The recent history of our country is one where liberal opinions were often stifled in the past - in fact, the only reason that gay rights and the like have been able to succeed in our country is *because* of freedom of speech.

It is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible and unappreciative, even, for liberals to WANT to stifle freedom of speech. It's also a bad political move, because the reality of the situation is that our country is one where the conservative opinion is growing, and has traditionally been the one in charge of the social hierarchy.

The fact that liberals are supporting stifling free speech, to me shows that they are in a weak position - because they are trying to wipe out the opposition through something very similar to book-burning in that it "burns" opposing information -

But it is precisely the fact that they have turned to this method that shows how close we are to a conservative majority of opinion in this country.

I can't believe that people are actually as stupid as you and think this has anything to do with freedom of speech.

The right to free speech is not the freedom to say what you want and still have a TV show, it is simply the freedom to say what you want.... which he, of course, still has.

Nobody has infringed his right to free speech.

If I owned a TV network and you had a cooking show I could remove your show for whatever reason. I may have to pay out your contract but I could remove your show.

I could remove it if it came out that you made pro neo-nazi comments or any other comments that I disagreed with.

I am sure the TV network in question felt that it would hurt their ratings, I'm sure they don't give a toss about the gay issue, but they no longer have that problem and he still has his right to free speech.

The other issue is the fact that it may cause problems for working relationships.
If I owned a bar and you started making comments about disliking native Americans, and one of my other workers was Native American, I may choose to make you redundant due to the problems it would cause.
You'd still have freedom of speech, just not a job at my bar.

The same way producers or camera operators may be gay or feel strongly about LGBT issues and feel uncomfortable working on this show.

People seem so confused as to what freedom of speech is.
I don't know why either, it's quite simple.
edit on 20-12-2013 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

IsntLifeFunny

Hahahaha lololololol, let us talk about uneducated and misinformed. Man you really stuck your foot in your butt lol. People hear are talking about free speech as it applies to this company swaying to the morality of who screams the loudest. In this case liberal media outlets and self ascribed spokesman for the gay and lesbian community.
The point is at it's core this about free speech. AE knew exactly what they were getting when they started this show and should not be crying when he exercised his red neck right say whatever the hell he wanted to. Now every single media outlet is devoting twenty minutes each hour arguing whether his right to free speech should have cost his job.

Each media outlet, I just checked four, five, they all arguing free speech. You don't seem to get it, not us.

As for the site, don't stick around for our sake, in ignorant words don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out lol.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

It all comes of an unseeming preoccupation of what other people are doing with their naughty bits. Get lives, people!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I dont think the lgbt community will care. Figure out the rate of hiv and you are talking about a group of mass serial killers. Not a big surprise these people gain pleasure off others pain.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

network dude
First off, if you are in the LGBT community and are fine with that, so am I. It's not for me to judge. We are all granted life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, however you see it. But, we also have a few other rights at least in the Unites States. We have freedom of religion, we have freedom of speech. Those freedoms are for all of us.

For anyone to try to stop another for voicing their opinion takes away one or more of those rights. Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame spoke out about his views on homosexuality. Since they are his views, that's fine. If the media station that has his show wishes to not air it due to his words, that's their right as well.

But the LGBT community should be OUTRAGED that anyone is trying to stifle his freedoms! The LGBT community has fought for their rights to openly show their sexuality and be public about it. If they don't step up and say something about this, their rights may be next on the chopping block.

What's good for the goose, is also good for the gander.

And I feel that the Robertson's should pull their contract and shop for another network.

I don't think you understand how freedoms work.

I'll make it simple for you.
Phil Robertson has the right to express his anti-gay sentiments. His employer has the right to express their anti-Phil Robertson sentiments by firing his ass.

See...freedom for everybody!

No one took his rights away....try harder
edit on 20-12-2013 by MrPlow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join