It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LGBT community should be outraged!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
First off, if you are in the LGBT community and are fine with that, so am I. It's not for me to judge. We are all granted life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, however you see it. But, we also have a few other rights at least in the Unites States. We have freedom of religion, we have freedom of speech. Those freedoms are for all of us.

For anyone to try to stop another for voicing their opinion takes away one or more of those rights. Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame spoke out about his views on homosexuality. Since they are his views, that's fine. If the media station that has his show wishes to not air it due to his words, that's their right as well.

But the LGBT community should be OUTRAGED that anyone is trying to stifle his freedoms! The LGBT community has fought for their rights to openly show their sexuality and be public about it. If they don't step up and say something about this, their rights may be next on the chopping block.

What's good for the goose, is also good for the gander.

And I feel that the Robertson's should pull their contract and shop for another network.

+42 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It seems as if some groups are all for free speech, unless something negative is said about them. Who cares what some bearded white guy says? Not everyone is going to like you. Paper thin skin and weak as water.

+30 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

You have forgotten Macman's number one rule.
It is always different for Progressives. Always.

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Many in the LGBT community are speaking out against A&E's actions.

Being responsible for your opinion is one thing. Robertson is and was responsible for what he said.

We should all take ownership in what we say and believe. We should also be ready to face different opinions as a result. A&E made a cowardly decision based on a phone call with GLAAD.

If anyone is trying to curtail the free expression of ideas, it is GLAAD, not A&E.

A&E are just spineless wusses.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Freedom for some negates the so-called equality some are demanding.
The problem isn't sexuality, it's the hypocrisy of those calling for freedom for themselves at the expense of others.
The LGBT community needs to renounce these political hacks who have become their self-appointed "leaders".
The gay people I know have always been far more tolerant than these supposed representatives of their lifestyle.
Both sides get smeared in this argument, Gay and Christian.
edit on 20-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

+24 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm a normal guy, not affiliated with anything but normalcy and I'm outraged that what some entertainer says has become a national, even global, issue. I'm right down there with 'meh'.

I don't care what he said or that he got his wrist slapped. It's of no consequence in the big picture and only keeps eyes off issues that should be scrutinized.

Oh, look, shiny...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

masqua
It's of no consequence in the big picture and only keeps eyes off issues that should be scrutinized.

I disagree with you on this point. It's one of the cumulative needle pricks that just shouldn't happen. Miley Cyrus can act like a whore, it's her right. No one should stifle her. Same goes with Phil. Are we not allowed opinions without having to be wrung over coals?

Everyone gets outraged when it's their cause that is the one getting pressure, how about we stand up for people's right to disagree....even if YOU disagree with them....

I don't have a right to not be offended by people........and I am painfully aware of that EVERY day.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I am bisexual, female, and I have never watched Duck Dynasty. I read his comments. I don't think he should have been put on any sort of "hiatus". He didn't cross a line. He expressed some opinions that I personally disagree with, and so do many others; but muzzling him doesn't do anyone any favors long term. People need to lighten up, and this man is paying a disproportionate price for that cultural thin skin.

The whole situation is so absurd that I suspect the network was simply looking for an excuse to tank the show. In spite of it's huge popularity at the moment there are signs in the popular culture tea leaves that blow-back is imminent, so maybe they were just gettin' out while the gettin' was good.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

macman

You have forgotten Macman's number one rule.
It is always different for Progressives. Always.

Here's what you said about Piers Morgan in your own thread a few months back.

www.breitbart.com...

*sigh* Why is this asshat still on American TV, let alone still here in the states?

Can someone please show him the door.
Maybe one of his 25 viewers can tell him the time has come to say goodbye and head back to his beloved England.

So when somebody says something you don't like, you don't want them on television?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Ultimately A&E is a business. They are in the business of providing programming to hang advertisement on.
They have as much right to run their business anyway they see fit as Phil does to make stupid insulting comments.

edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

A&E and the LGBT community have been played like a fiddle by GLAAD to forward there agenda to perpetrate there hate and bigotry on anyone that express's belief's that differ from there own.

A&E and the LGBT's credibility will both loose big this time and GLAAD will just crawl back into there hole tell the next chance to manipulate "fool's ".

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

You can have all the opinions you can carry around with you.

So can I and my opinion is that this is about as consequential to a nation of over 300 million as the final 2 hour episode of Survivor.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

If "Duck Dynasty" network A&E feared advertisers would scatter like waterfowl after a shotgun blast because of Phil Robertson's anti-gay comments ... it's not happening.

A company called Skyjacker -- which builds truck suspensions -- tells us it stands solidly behind Phil and the show ... saying it's a matter of God and country -- it's a free country and Phil has a right to his opinions.

www.tmz.com...

Seems that at least one of the sponsors is siding with Duck Dynasty.

Bad for business, A&E business.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
so all you duck dynasty lovers would fight equally hard for these people to keep their jobs?
usnews.nbcnews.com...
www.mediaite.com...
www.democracynow.org...
www.tmz.com...

where's the outrage!!!! where's the free speech people!!!....the hypocrisy on the part of the OP is too easy to point out.
edit on 20-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A&E will still be in business long after Phil has faded into reality star obscurity. Probably a blessing for both.

As Masqua said....there are other much more important problems to face. I don't think this crybaby attitude will serve the conservative cause well. At least Phil had the grace and style to take personal responsibility for his comments. I respect that!!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

masqua
I'm a normal guy, not affiliated with anything but normalcy and I'm outraged that what some entertainer says has become a national, even global, issue. I'm right down there with 'meh'.

I don't care what he said or that he got his wrist slapped. It's of no consequence in the big picture and only keeps eyes off issues that should be scrutinized.

Oh, look, shiny...

I don't have cable so, yeah there are not more important issues?

That is ok I didn't know what a Duck Dynasty was... I figured it was a new late night Soap Opera remake of the 80's bad acting soap Dynasty staring Ducks...oh wait...

edit on 20-12-2013 by abeverage because: of Dynasty with Ducks...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

jimmyx
so all you duck dynasty lovers would fight equally hard for these people to keep their jobs?
usnews.nbcnews.com...
www.mediaite.com...
www.democracynow.org...
www.tmz.com...

where's the outrage!!!! where's the free speech people!!!....the hypocrisy on the part of the OP is too easy to point out.
edit on 20-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

On Dec 7th, I said this in a thread about Bashir.. . . .

beezzer
reply to post by buster2010

I don't think he should have been fired as well.

I like Sarah Palin.

But I also like Freedom of speech!

People should not be punished simply because they have a difference of opinion.

Personally, he should have stayed on the air voicing his idiotic opinions.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by beezzer

A&E will still be in business long after Phil has faded into reality star obscurity. Probably a blessing for both.

As Masqua said....there are other much more important problems to face. I don't think this crybaby attitude will serve the conservative cause well.

It will remain a crybaby issue until it happens to someone who gets fired for a pro abortion stance.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This guy is a horse's ass and deserved to be censored by his employer. Needless to say they have the right to discipline or release employees whose public words or actions threaten the reputation of their business. This is NOT a first amendment issue until the government gets involved.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

I stand by my statement.
Piers Morgan should be returned back to England.

I never said he should be kicked off air, fired, or silenced.

Does that make my stance clear enough for you???

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join