It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LGBT community should be outraged!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

beezzer

theantediluvian

beezzer
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I've even defended Westboro Baptist Church.

Not because I agree with those idiots, but because free speech is important!

Privately owned television networks have no obligation to provide platforms for free speech. This is not a free speech issue. If Phil Robertson wants to kill ducks and say it's because "God hates fags!" he's within his rights to do so (at least during duck hunting season). If he wants to put his sentiments on poster board and parade around the streets with it, nobody should stop him. That doesn't mean A&E is obligated to pay him to star in a television show.

A&E didn't axe Phil until they got a call from GLAAD.

A&E has every right to fire anyone they choose for whatever reason they so desire.

The attempt to silence, to punish someone simply because they don't agree with your views falls solely on the lap of GLAAD.

So we're in agreement for the most part? A&E has a every right to fire anyone they choose for whatever reason they so desire, including a call from GLAAD? A&E isn't required to base decisions on complaints by GLAAD, they made a decision of their own volition. So what's the controversy?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Don't you two realize that this whole circus has been orchestrated on purpose???
For the same reason that Brian died!!!
Ratings.
There is no freedom of speech being suppressed here, (and wrabbit you should know better, shame on you).
Same as here on ATS, you are free to speak your mind, but ATS is free to erase it.
Our chalk, their board. Don't like it, find another board to write on.
Duck guys freedoms are still intact, they will just have to negotiate a higher paying contract.
Simple as that

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

The whole situation is so absurd that I suspect the network was simply looking for an excuse to tank the show

You know that thought crossed my mind too, they didn't like the message that the show was sending.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

The whole situation is so absurd that I suspect the network was simply looking for an excuse to tank the show

You know that thought crossed my mind too, they didn't like the message that the show was sending.

They don't care about the message as long as the advertising spots are filled. They were afraid of sponsor blowback.

A&E can fill that DD programming slot with their choice of banal, corny, goofy shows. There is a myriad of shows for them to choose from. Even one of mine.
fadeinonline.com...

edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
About Bashir, their is a big difference, what he said was on a mainstream news program, I don't think you can compare the two.

Phil didn't make those comments on the
"reality"
show.

Bashir comments really were vile.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

theantediluvian

beezzer

theantediluvian

beezzer

I've even defended Westboro Baptist Church.

Not because I agree with those idiots, but because free speech is important!

Privately owned television networks have no obligation to provide platforms for free speech. This is not a free speech issue. If Phil Robertson wants to kill ducks and say it's because "God hates fags!" he's within his rights to do so (at least during duck hunting season). If he wants to put his sentiments on poster board and parade around the streets with it, nobody should stop him. That doesn't mean A&E is obligated to pay him to star in a television show.

A&E didn't axe Phil until they got a call from GLAAD.

A&E has every right to fire anyone they choose for whatever reason they so desire.

The attempt to silence, to punish someone simply because they don't agree with your views falls solely on the lap of GLAAD.

So we're in agreement for the most part? A&E has a every right to fire anyone they choose for whatever reason they so desire, including a call from GLAAD? A&E isn't required to base decisions on complaints by GLAAD, they made a decision of their own volition. So what's the controversy?

The controversy exists when the next time someone does an interview with a magazine (or whatever) and they have to either self-censor or lie, instead of expressing their own opinions.

Free speech does come with responsibility. But when the fear of retaliation comes about simply because someone disagrees with you, then we're denying people with the ability to freely express themselves.

Phil Robertson said something.
GLAAD could have said something in response.

End of story.

But no. GLAAD called A&E and afterwards, A&E axed Phil Robertson.

It's no longer a free exchange of ideas.

It'd be like you and I having an argument in a thread. You say something. I say something.
End of story.
Unless you find out where I live and work, call my boss, complain about me to the point where my boss fires me.

Now my boss has the freedom to fire me at any time. That's true. But what spurred it, and the next time, will someone else, perhaps, not have an argument with you in a thread for fear of reprisal?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So doing some Googling!

Duck Dynasty is a Sitcom remake of this show

Where they dress in Camouflage are (not) gay, but pose for a lot of Selfies making Duck Faces to put on Crappy Merchandise Made In China

And this UN-realty show is on A&E THE ARTS...AND ENTERTAINMENT channel...wait WHAT? REALLY? This is what the big ruff-up is all about???

Which Universe, did I end up in this time?
edit on 20-12-2013 by abeverage because: of uncertainty I am in the correct Universe

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Meanwhile as Rome burns....
Benghazi
DHS transporting illegals
ATF gunwalker/fast and furious
EPA everything
Various planned shootings
NSA spying on the world
Many more problems to infinity...
We are distracted by an orchestrated division of the peoples.
Sometimes I wonder how the race survives...
Maybe the PTB holds back a little sometimes so the slaves will not kill themselves off totally.
Gotta have at least a few of em to make my coffee.
Speaking of which, I need to make some coffee.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What a JOKE GLAAD & LGBT are!
They fought hard for the right to express and Speak their minds...
Then jump all over for anyone else doing the same.
Shows they are really spineless and pitiful.

I don’t care on dang bit who you sleep with... not my problem… not my bed.
But to pounce on ANYONE else for speaking and expressing themselves is being a hypocrite ... Period.

They have just shown the world that they are a Joke.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

masqua
Just like Brian, if the public outcry is loud enough, Duck Dynasty will return.

So… scream to the rafters on social media.

edit on 20/12/13 by masqua because: (no reason given)

Wouldn't it be marvelous if we Americans could put down our differences long enough to make a difference in our crummy government?
edit on 103131p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

olaru12

Stormdancer777

They don't care about the message as long as the advertising spots are filled. They were afraid of sponsor blowback.

A&E is feeling the blowback. But not in the way they wanted it to work out.

I've read that the family pretty much wanted to end the show anyways. And they did it in a great way that drives more people to their actual business, not A&E.

But in the long run, it's all manufactured outrage. There are other REAL problems that need to be dealt with.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
for those that care.. you could always turn the tables on progressive stalinist..

Contact the advertisers .. have your friends and those that think the same as you.. Tell them you will boycott their advert's product if they allow the PC GLAAD to discriminate against your beliefs

Make sure you send a note to A and E that you are contacting their Advertisers DIRECTLY.. because they have discriminated against your beliefs

Demand the executive that made the call is fired for bigotry against your Culture..

I am so tempted to use my back pay to form a non-profit dedicated to 'Mericans for 'Mericans...One of the first things I would demand is GLAAD's books on expenditures

I am willing to bet they spend millions on staff and administrators and not their original mission..

just saying

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

g146541
Meanwhile as Rome burns....
Benghazi
DHS transporting illegals
ATF gunwalker/fast and furious
EPA everything
Various planned shootings
NSA spying on the world
Many more problems to infinity...
We are distracted by an orchestrated division of the peoples.
Sometimes I wonder how the race survives...
Maybe the PTB holds back a little sometimes so the slaves will not kill themselves off totally.
Gotta have at least a few of em to make my coffee.
Speaking of which, I need to make some coffee.

I hear ya,

and yet you find yourself posting on the topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

ripcontrol
Contact the advertisers .. have your friends and those that think the same as you.. Tell them you will boycott their advert's product if they allow the PC GLAAD to discriminate against your beliefs

Do you really think good hearted All American Consumers who loves DUCK DUHNasty would in there right mind ever boycott CHEAP CRAPPY MERCHANDISE MADE IN CHINA? Especially around Christmas???

But...but it is Camoflogged!
edit on 20-12-2013 by abeverage because: of being DuhNasty...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Stormdancer777
and yet you find yourself posing on the topic.

I've avoided this topic until today, but have read the posts and news. It's like a kiddies version of the GZ trial. It's hard to look away when so many people are talking about it. I guess I'm just a rubbernecker looking at the crash.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I should leave these threads alone but just can't help myself. There is much more important stuff going on. There are many GLBT folk out there who disagree with GLAAD's tactics.

Controversy is great for ratings, as a result of this more people will watch DD.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

TDawgRex

Stormdancer777
and yet you find yourself posing on the topic.

I've avoided this topic until today, but have read the posts and news. It's like a kiddies version of the GZ trial. It's hard to look away when so many people are talking about it. I guess I'm just a rubbernecker looking at the crash.

It's not like we really accomplish anything here,
Do we?

Do our comments make a difference in the world or are we all just blowing off steam?

link   

abeverage

ripcontrol

Do you really think good hearted All American Consumers would in there right mind ever boycott CHEAP CRAPPY MERCHANDISE MADE IN CHINA? Especially around Christmas???

But...but it is Camoflogged!

I would venture to say that the Duck Commander line of profits has skyrocketed this week. Do they have a IPO?

ETA: Just checked, no they do not. It is privately owned.
edit on 20-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

link   

beezzer

luciddream
Question is... when does it cross the line into Hate Speech and is justified by some.

It's only hate speech if it spurs violence against someone(s).

Thats how violence starts.

First we mistreat them by "speech".

Then comes a socially molded mind that look at them as being a lesser humans.

Then the senseless violence starts.

Look at the middle east, a fine example.

They die on daily basis from their invader and no one cares anymore.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

It's not like we really accomplish anything here,
Do we?

Do our comments make a difference in the world or are we all just blowing off steam?

Yep, blowing off steam and being entertained by the same kind of inconsequential BS that DD represents. I plead guilty as well.

Merry Christmas!

edit on 20-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join