It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Again, this bakery was targeted but none of you want to see that you only want to think with your own emotions. To be honest, I am tired of any group, gay, black, whatever complaining in this day and age. Why do they complain? Because they want attention and it is given to them

The shop owner himself says he has no issue with gay couples or employees, just gay marriage. His own words, not mine....

Jack Phillips, the bakery's owner, says he has no problem with lesbian and gay customers or staff members, but he draws the line at gay marriage. He says he rather shut down his bakery than compromise his beliefs.

Targeted, again, by another gay couple.

Link

Stephanie Schmalz and her partner, Jeanine, wanted to order a cake to celebrate their commitment ceremony. They contacted the Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood, Colorado, but the store refused to take their order. The store has a strict policy against selling cakes for same-sex weddings. Stephanie then tried a little experiment. She called the bakery back, pretending to be someone else, and asked for a cake for a dog wedding. Without hesitation the owner agreed to make it.

It is called baiting someone. This is proves exactly what I have been saying all along that this is nothing but to make trouble. Rude, just like interrupting a speech.

4 steps back for me...idiots....

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Again, this bakery was targeted but none of you want to see that you only want to think with your own emotions. To be honest, I am tired of any group, gay, black, whatever complaining in this day and age. Why do they complain? Because they want attention and it is given to them
You left out an operative part of that statement, though. They were targeted, BECAUSE OF DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES.

The shop owner himself says he has no issue with gay couples or employees, just gay marriage. His own words, not mine....
Well, the next statement seems to contradict that...

Stephanie Schmalz and her partner, Jeanine, wanted to order a cake to celebrate their commitment ceremony. They contacted the Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood, Colorado, but the store refused to take their order. The store has a strict policy against selling cakes for same-sex weddings
But I thought it was only gay marriage that was the problem?

It is called baiting someone. This is proves exactly what I have been saying all along that this is nothing but to make trouble. Rude, just like interrupting a speech. 4 steps back for me...idiots....
Baiting is often used to expose discriminatory practices. Nothing wrong with it. Though, I am not sure how it is baiting someone if they refuse service to gay people, but will take an order for a dog wedding. That sounds more like a bigot shop owner being shown for what he is...

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

All of these groups and minorities complain because until there is equality and no discrimination, then there is something to complain about.

This guy says he'd rather close his bakery than compromise his beliefs??
F this guy, he'll get his wish then.
He would rather close his businiess than make a cake to celebrate an occasion where two people in love are devoting themselves to one another?

This guy is pathetic and I hope his bakery does close.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels
reply to post by esdad71

All of these groups and minorities complain because until there is equality and no discrimination, then there is something to complain about.

This guy says he'd rather close his bakery than compromise his beliefs??
F this guy, he'll get his wish then.
He would rather close his businiess than make a cake to celebrate an occasion where two people in love are devoting themselves to one another?

This guy is pathetic and I hope his bakery does close.

He has the right to refuse business to anyone he wants.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

it's against the law in Colorado to refuse service based on discrimination though, and this was clearly discrimination based on their sexuality

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted
reply to post by Darth_Prime

What law did he break? Please post so I can read the law.

I don't believe there is any such law.

It has already been posted in this thread on page 3 by Benevolent Heretic.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Pathetic for having a belief system. Really? It is very very sad that some of you feel that way. You have a belief system but you feel it is ok to impose it on others, like this baker, who for years makes lots of children and other married couples happy but a few gay couples want to call him out and you all cheer to shut him down?

WTF is wrong with you people. You cannot be tolerant of others but you want them to be tolerant of you? You cannot have you cake and eat it too, so to say. WHy target someone you know will say know...for publicity. Maybe this will be a reality show one day...Gays for cupcakes!

America was founded on personal choice and the idea that you can do whatever you want, whenever you want and better yourself and your family. The American dream. That is not allowed anymore. If you upset someone as a business owner you are then picketed by everyone who wants to cause you trouble until you are shutdown. Wow, you want the American dream of gay marriage but a person cannot have freedom of choice with their own business. I am sure you all cheered when the current admin said "you did not build your business" also, because we can also tear it down if we feel like.

Again, the owner says he does not have a problem with gay people just the union of marriage. Same would apply if he had black employees but did not agree with inter racial marriage. Who cares...it is a business. It is not hurting anyone at all if he refuses a cake.

I liked it a lot better when it was not 'cool' to be gay. I think the majority of gay people agree, as least the ones I know and are related too, because there are more important things out there than a cake. You are so pissed you cannot legally get married you make it a crusade to screw someone else's life entirely. This country is so selfish it deserves exactly where it is headed. The #ter....
edit on 7-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It must be nice to afford to "exercise the right to refuse service" in today's economy...

edit on 7-6-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The right to refuse service to anyone. Not very hard to understand.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Just another reason to not reside or do business in Colorado.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Punishing??? Oh, so vigilantism justice I guess. What a crock.

This is about a minority pushing their crap views on others.

As a business, I, in the state I reside in, have the right to refuse service.
CO law is about as unconstitutional and Orwellian as it gets.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The constitution does not state people can't discriminate. It is a directive to the govt, how it is supposed to treat its citizens, which is right out the door with special laws for special groups.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The tolerant ones show their intolerance once again. They fight for everyone's beliefs except the ones that goes against theirs.

Why not just cater to that new market? A gay bakery would fill the demand, and if they want, they can refuse service to hetero couples.
edit on 7-6-2013 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well...

During the Obamacare craze, the Supreme Court ruled that, "Commerce cannot be compelled".

If the highest court in the land rules that no one can force anyone to engage in commerce (business/sales) -- then this bakery owner is in the clear.

I doubt the couple's lawyers would be able to overturn a Supreme Court president.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Perhaps so in your country.

However, I specifically spoke about South Africa, and some similar cases here, and my feelings towards them.
I'd be curious to know what people in other countries feel, for example on the wine estate that refused to host a gay wedding (see p. 5 of this thread)?

Here the post-apartheid Constitution does guarantee freedom from a number of unfair discriminations, including on sexual orientation.
www.sahistory.org.za...
At least legally we've gone from one of the most homophobic societies to equal marriage at lighting speed.

That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone agrees, or is even aware of it.

However, there may be no vertical discrimination based on sexual orientation (from the state downwards) or horizontal discrimination (between people, such as shopkeepers and customers).

Most of these cases (as with racism) end up with the Human Rights Commission.
Luckily this is rarely punitive (I suppose that's disputable), but rather tries to find some solution to uphold human rights for all.

Of course a document riddled with "unfair discrimination" also includes "fair discrimination".
So I guess I'm a winner and a loser in SA.
I'm a winner as a gay person, but I'm losing as a white male, because "fair discrimination" based on race is allowed.

edit on 7-6-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
WTF is wrong with you people. You cannot be tolerant of others but you want them to be tolerant of you?

I guess I'm just intolerant of intolerance. Anything, like religion, that teaches you to treat others differently is not acceptable.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

Originally posted by esdad71
WTF is wrong with you people. You cannot be tolerant of others but you want them to be tolerant of you?

I guess I'm just intolerant of intolerance. Anything, like religion, that teaches you to treat others differently is not acceptable.

I never understood the argument that if you want others to tolerate you, you must tolerate their beratement of you. I'm sorry...but if you want me to tolerate you, you must also tolerate me. That includes me being gay. Now tolerate it you biggot.

edit on 7-6-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Colorado needs more bakeries than just one...wait there's more? why not go somewhere else? if someone was to discriminate against me for being a long haired metal head, I wouldn't want to give them business anyway and just say screw you guys, I'm going somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

No he does not. Contrary to the popular belief running through this thread, businesses open to the public do not have a right to refuse service to anyone on any grounds outside of business reasons (i.e. known shoplifters, bad check writers, violating dress codes). You do not get to turn people away because you just simply do not like their ethnicity or disapprove of their lifestyle.
edit on 7-6-2013 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

He has a belief. A faith in something that some in the gay community in Colorado and other states have decided to attack. Who is anyone to tell this man what he can believe in? Do you folks not see that or are you so blind to your cause of promoting the gay lifestyle you are missing it? This is actually violating the freedom of religion for the baker with the law as it is written. It is forcing him to go against his core belief system no matter what a douche you may think he is. There is no freedom to be gay in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution.

My point about the Kosher deli also went over all of your heads. Fact is, if a person opens a Kosher deli, and someone comes in and asks for bacon on a sandwich and does not get it since it is not Kosher it would fall into this same argument by default. Refusal of service as they have to accommodate everyone. So, if the Kosher butcher is refusing service based on religious belief since he cannot use bacon he could be sued according to Colorado law. Sounds silly when you look at it like that, right, but there are cases right now where members of Islam sue over food prep. Many of them.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join