It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival

In America if you have a business, you have to serve everyone...or no one

This is exactly it in one sentence. These days any business that refuses service runs the risk of going broke with all the avenues people have to complain and tell the world about it.

This particular case example provided the OP is more people pushing a principle though. A wedding cake should be no biggie. Being refused to be sold tires or turned away from a Doctor because one is gay would be far more serious.

edit on 8-6-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

if such is being enforced, perhaps a few businesses have yet to be advised ?
www.gaybreck.com...
gay lodging directory

as mentioned previously, no law has ever eliminated discrimination.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

www.gaybreck.com...
gay lodging directory

And this is exactly why gay people should be very careful before screaming discrimination. Pot should not call kettle black. Claiming that these venues are 'special interest' does not mean they are not exclusionary based on sexuality.

Not being allowed to marry and have the legal rights to go with it = one sided discrimination from the govt.
Trying to sue under anti discriminatory laws over a wedding cake while saying nothing about all the exclusively gay businesses = extreme hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

In America if you have a business, you have to serve everyone...or no one
not in all parts of America.
and no so surprisingly, there are plenty of reasons for "justified" service refusal
source

The Right To Refuse Service Or Discrimination?
Find Out When It Is Legal To Refuse Service

as usual, what we have in this case is only part of the story.
the part that the 'victims' wish us to hear and believe.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

www.gaybreck.com...
gay lodging directory

Edited for clarity:

Regarding "The Bunkhouse Lodge", someone could sue them and win.

On the second link, those are listed as "gay friendly". That means gay people will not be turned away because they're gay. That does NOT mean that they serve ONLY gay people. (with the exception of the Bunkhouse Lodge)

You're right. And no law ever will. People will always have their personal prejudices. But the law DOES hold business owners accountable for turning people away simply because of who they are.
edit on 6/8/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

www.gaybreck.com...
gay lodging directory

Please quote in their websites where they explicitely state that no heterosexuals are allowed. I looked and couldn't find it.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Originally posted by markosity1973
And this is exactly why gay people should be very careful before screaming discrimination. Pot should not call kettle black.

Gay people don't think or operate with one mind... That's like saying because some women hate and discriminate against men, that women in general don't have the right to claim discrimination when they get lower pay than their male counterparts.

"Gay people" is not a group who all think alike. They are individuals. Some are REAL jerks! Some are just trying to get by, like the rest of us.

Trying to sue under anti discriminatory laws over a wedding cake while saying nothing about all the exclusively gay businesses = extreme hypocrisy.

What makes you think these guys even KNOW about the gay Breckenridge resort? Or are you just holding one gay couple responsible for the actions of all?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

From what I saw when I explored both links, I discovered that Breckenridge is just the name of the town. The exclusively gay place is Bunkhouse Lodge on the second link. (sorry, I got them turned around. I'll fix it)

Bunkhouse Lodge
Colorado’s Only Gay Lodge for Men Only
13203 Hwy 9, Breckenridge, CO, 80424, USA

After more research, I think the place closed down.
Doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Honor93

www.gaybreck.com...
gay lodging directory

Edited for clarity:

Regarding "The Bunkhouse Lodge", someone could sue them and win.

Did you actually try to go to their website? Because I did and it was a broken link.

Edit: Ah, I see you did. So, the argument has now been de-bunked as there is no place in those links that discriminate against heterosexuals. If the heteros want to join in, they are more than welcome.
edit on 8-6-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

reply to post by markosity1973

And this is exactly why gay people should be very careful before screaming discrimination. Pot should not call kettle black.

Gay people don't think or operate with one mind... That's like saying because some women hate and discriminate against men, that women in general don't have the right to claim discrimination when they get lower pay than their male counterparts.

"Gay people" is not a group who all think alike. They are individuals. Some are REAL jerks! Some are just trying to get by, like the rest of us.

What makes you think these guys even KNOW about the gay Breckenridge resort? Or are you just holding one gay couple responsible for the actions of all?

If a person is a gay adult, then they most certainly will know of exclusively gay businesses. They most often come in the form of bars and clubs that have very discriminatory entry policies.

I am not holding them responsible for the actions of all, but people like this risk a backlash from the general community that affects way more than them and one stupid little cake. Gay people should take note and isolate themselves from this behaviour or risk losing their social venues

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

If a person is a gay adult, then they most certainly will know of exclusively gay businesses. They most often come in the form of bars and clubs that have very discriminatory entry policies.

I'm sure in all your wisdom you can name one such business that has these discriminatory policies correct?

Yeah, didn't think so.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

I'm sure in all your wisdom you can name one such business that has these discriminatory policies correct?

Yeah, didn't think so.

You never let me reply.

In my home town the name of not one, but two businesses are MARS who will only allow hetersexuals in if they are accompanied by gay people and club 52, a gay sex venue that only allows gay men through the door.

I am not the bad guy here. Gay people, of whom I am one myself need to think very carefully before claiming discrimination when our community practises it ourselves.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Here's one...first link I clicked on...The Website states "Exclusively Gay Men only

Chaps Hotel Blackpool

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

In my home town the name of not one, but two businesses are MARS who will only allow hetersexuals in if they are accompanied by gay people

How does the doorman know who is gay and who is straight to be able to turn heteros away? If this is the truth, why not set up a sting and make your own millions? Unless you made this up of course?

and club 52, a gay sex venue that only allows gay men through the door.

Oh, you mean a private club like the boyscouts?

Try again........

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Here's one...first link I clicked on...The Website states "Exclusively Gay Men only

Chaps Hotel Blackpool

I don't give a flying hoot about the UK. We are talking about the US here...the land of equality.
edit on 8-6-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

If a person is a gay adult, then they most certainly will know of exclusively gay businesses.

WHAT??? Do you know of all of the exclusively gay businesses in your state? What a ridiculous statement! That's why I said that gay people don't think with one mind, but apparently, you think they do... You think they all have access to the same database or something. Just FYI, some gay people are just going to work, living their lives and don't give two poops about "exclusively gay businesses"...

Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I belong to all the women's clubs or know about the "happenings" in my town regarding women. Much less my whole state!

I am not holding them responsible for the actions of all, but people like this risk a backlash from the general community that affects way more than them and one stupid little cake.

That's because people of the general community stupidly think all gay people are the same and belong to all the same clubs and share all the same knowledge ad interests.

Gay people should take note and isolate themselves from this behaviour or risk losing their social venues

And Muslims should speak out publicly every time there's a terrorist attack to let the rest of us know that they disapprove... Right?

link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

In my home town the name of not one, but two businesses are MARS who will only allow hetersexuals in if they are accompanied by gay people

How does the doorman know who is gay and who is straight to be able to turn heteros away? If this is the truth, why not set up a sting and make your own millions? Unless you made this up of course?

and club 52, a gay sex venue that only allows gay men through the door.

Oh, you mean a private club like the boyscouts?

Try again........

I have no idea why you are trying to pretend this does not happen. The bouncers are pretty good at picking it up ad if they do sneak through straight people usually rat themselves out by getting all offended when they get ht on. At which point they get kicked out

link   

I don't give a flying hoot about the UK. We are talking aboput America here...the land of equality.

Nor, it seems do you give a flying hoot about manners and decorum...

This site is not just for Americans you know. Global membership is encouraged and as such, as members from other countries, we have an equal right to make a contribution to a discussion based on our knowledge and experience as the Americans have.

Or does equality not apply when it does not suit your own agenda?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

If a person is a gay adult, then they most certainly will know of exclusively gay businesses.

WHAT??? Do you know of all of the exclusively gay businesses in your state? What a ridiculous statement! That's why I said that gay people don't think with one mind, but apparently, you think they do... You think they all have access to the same database or something. Just FYI, some gay people are just going to work, living their lives and don't give two poops about "exclusively gay businesses"...

Just because I'm a woman, doesn't mean I belong to all the women's clubs or know about the "happenings" in my town regarding women. Much less my whole state!

I am not holding them responsible for the actions of all, but people like this risk a backlash from the general community that affects way more than them and one stupid little cake.

That's because people of the general community stupidly think all gay people are the same and belong to all the same clubs and share all the same knowledge ad interests.

Gay people should take note and isolate themselves from this behaviour or risk losing their social venues

And Muslims should speak out publicly every time there's a terrorist attack to let the rest of us know that they disapprove... Right?

I find it strange that we are at odds over this.

Okay, challenge for you; name an exclusively straight business. Its not as easy as you think.

Gay people can and do frequent straight clubs and pubs, but straight people really are consciously restricted from entering gay ones.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
Nor, it seems do you give a flying hoot about manners and decorum...

What manners and decorum? I told you I didn't care about the UK when we are talking about the US. Stay on topic...

This site is not just for Americans you know.

It is when talking about a US business. I didn't say you couldn't talk about it, I say I couldn't care less about the UK. Sorry to hurt the feelings.....

Or does equality not apply when it does not suit your own agenda?

Stay on topic......that is an equal rule that is punishable equally.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join