It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Colorado couple sues bakery for allegedly refusing them wedding cake

page: 45
<< 42  43  44   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by TheFlash

It is not a normal wedding cake in the eyes of the religious person who is against gay marriage. It is a gay wedding cake. It make not make sense, but a whole lot of beliefs are irrational.

On one side, I can see being angry or hurt about being discriminated against, on the other hand, I could see how it might feel that people find his beliefs invalid to the point of suing instead of going to the bakery down the road, ya know? I just feel this kind of thing will do nothing but solidify people's bigotry, "Hey look, see they are shoving their beliefs down our throats, and belittling our beliefs." That is one of the things you hear them say all the time, that they are having their beliefs belittled, and having it shoved in their faces.
edit on Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:00:53 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

What "beliefs" are you talking about 'being shoved down someone's throat'? The belief that homosexuality is okay? That is NOT a belief nor even CLOSE to being in the category of religion. It is a scientific fact that some people are born gay. If you do not understand that then I suggest that you educate yourself on the subject. Also ask yourself this question - could you choose to be attracted to those of the same sex if you wanted to? I have the impression that you think that others can.

I recommend that you check out this news story on the subject to get some of the basics.
edit on 15-7-2013 by TheFlash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Fine fine, I submit. Y'all win

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Fine fine, I submit. Y'all win

You may not see it now, but you win too.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

We have a long way to go. One day we will be past all the biggotry and hate. I doubt it will be in my lifetime though. Or we may just blow the earth to smitherines before that has a chance to happen.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

We have a long way to go. One day we will be past all the biggotry and hate. I doubt it will be in my lifetime though. Or we may just blow the earth to smitherines before that has a chance to happen.

All you can do is your part and try to get others to see sense. At least you can have peace of mind that way if the world blows up.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

The way I feel about this is that if the owner of this bakery didn't want to make a cake for the couple then they could have and should have simply found another bakery. That would have been the end of it, there is no mention in this story of the owners of the bakery being rude or offensive to the couple and as I see it there was really no damages suffered by the couple.

Exactly.

If a business wants to turn away a paying customer for ANY reason, that is their right. Still a free country, for now...and that includes the right to be a bigot, if people choose. Heck, as long as a business isn't subject to Title VII, they can even turn away people based on religion, color, etc. Their right. A right to be stupid...but a right all the same. (and no folks, sexual preference is NOT protected by Title VII).

There are a LOT of people in the wedding business who feel strongly against gay marriage. Personally, I think they are slicing their own throats, and throwing away what could be the BIGGEST surge in their industry EVER....but their right to be dumb.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Can you explain how Title VII applies here?

Originally posted by Gazrok
If a business wants to turn away a paying customer for ANY reason, that is their right.

Colorado law doesn't agree with you.
www.transgenderlaw.org...
www.cu.edu...

Yes, people have a right to be a bigot, but they cannot legally turn away customers for specific reasons, like race, religion, and in Colorado, sexual orientation. And that is what happened in this case.

I'm curious to hear the specifics of your position.

edit on 7/16/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I think it's important to point out an important aspect of this whole issue, which is Righteous Indignation ir Self-Righteous Indignation. It is the primary motivation in this issue as it has been in similar issues in the past including:

- Abolishing the ownership of other human beings (slavery)
- Interracial marriages to Asians, Native Americans and African-Americans,
- The right of women to vote
- The right of non-Caucasians to vote

... all of which have been illegal in the past in the USA and which were all opposed by those with a similar sense of Righteous Indignation at the prospect of those things changing. This 'RI' is characterized by a sense of outrage or holier-than-thou morality towards those 'other' types of people and feeling superior to them in some abstract way. Thankfully those things did change and in the 21st century society is continuing to evolve, albeit very slowly, to the point where those who were born homosexual are finally being seen as fellow human beings with rights that all other human beings have.

There are still a few who cling to the RI though....

top topics

<< 42  43  44   >>

join