It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Patients everyone....

Those of you living Manchester and east will have the snow today.

After the initial band moves west to east, we will see showers coming off of the North Sea into tomorrow and Wednesday. Temps will struggle to get above 0oC and we could have quite a hard frost so be wary of icy in the mornings especially.

There is some uncertainty about Wednesday at the moment but it looks like we could have quite a strong eastely wind so the showers on the east coast could drive inland.

There is the possiblity of a decent snow event fr the W and SW of England on Weds as a band pushes through and hits the cold air.

Will post an update later in the day.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I has snoooooooowwwwwwwww! Yippie!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Not wanting to put a curse on the potential but what has been produced by the models yesterday and this morning is signalling to a cold, if not very cold week ahead with a possible breakdown over next weekend. Obviously thats still 5 days away and anything can happen but if the break down does occur as prediscted. (Met Office charts have been good recently), we could see undercutting occur.

This is where the cold air undercuts a "milder" weather system. This means there is a potential strong Low Pressure system aiming at the Uk come the weekend, This on a normal day would be very wet and windy. With the cold air established on the UK as the Atlantic tries to take control again, we could see the milder air pushed up and the cold air remain "at least for a while".

This undercutting action could lead to some VERY DISRUPTIVE snow for most of the UK, away from coasts.

I am not over estimating here when i say that if the models hold with this possibility we could see areas receive 60+ cm's of snow with severe blizzards and drifting...something akin to 1982.

THIS IS A POSSIBILITY...NOT A PREDICTION

I will follow up on this over the next couple of days.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Fingers crossed...........

Honestly, i really hope it happens. It is about time we got some proper nation wide snow fall. Yes, there would disruption, etc but come on.......i want several feet of snow. The elderly and homeless go out of the window when the possibility of building MY own igloo (sod the kids!) comes into play!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I has snoooooooowwwwwwwww! Yippie!!!

Proper snow or more like a dandruff laden god has given their head a shake (light dusting)?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

lol...well i was concerned at 830am this mornign when i arrived at work because we had nothing but heavy sleet. By 10am we have 3 inches of snow, and i live on the coast. Inland 8 miles the roads are closed and schools shut.

Not saying this will be the case for all but if your inland, further north the better you;ll get it

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well the report from Halifax is...

SNOW DAY! Proper settling real snow too.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'm definitely going to follow your weather posts from now on. I'm a bit disappointed here in the Surrey area-just a light dusting and the reports keep changing about the South East for now they are stating sleet and rain.

I want to build a really big snowman

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Well we had just enough for my son to scrape the bits of snow that settled on the bins, walls, and car bonnets into a snowball by the time we got to school....But thats it!

Booo! I wanted a snow day

Never a good idea to live in the southern most part of the country I guess.

On the plus side I bet my son a bag or Haribo it would snow last night....Wonder how long I'll be waiting for the 9 year old to cough up?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Just started snowing here in west yorkshire

A lot too.
edit on 14-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There's going to be people from all around the world reading this thread thinking...'those brits are nuts!' We get so bloody excited about a few cm of snow haha.

For the record, we had a couple of cm here in Nottingham last night but most had melted on the roads and pavements by mid morning. However... It's snowing like mad again now! Patchy settleage on the wet bits. I'm sure if it carries on we'll have a good covering by this afternoon!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

A lot too.

Big flakes in North Yorkshire now too. Yay!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

A lot too.

Same here in W.Yorkshire. Which part are you in? Be curious to compare.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
There's going to be people from all around the world reading this thread thinking...'those brits are nuts!' We get so bloody excited about a few cm of snow haha.

For the record, we had a couple of cm here in Nottingham last night but most had melted on the roads and pavements by mid morning. However... It's snowing like mad again now! Patchy settleage on the wet bits. I'm sure if it carries on we'll have a good covering by this afternoon!

Depends on location though. Bangladesh is currently having its coldest spell for 70 odd years, it has dropped to 3 C - i laughed too until i realised this still meant people freezing to death because they are not used to it getting any colder than 10 C. Can you imagine? 3 C is short sleeves weather over here on a weekend evening.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

In Brighouse (The land that time forgot lol) we are in a valley and it has to be bad for it to snow here, seems to have it's own micro climate

UPDATE Blimey in just over an hour about 3 cm, Oh well guess Iam walking to work

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

In Brighouse (The land what time forgot lol) we are in a valley and it has to be bad for it to snow here, seems to have it's own micro climate

Just down the road from me then.

Still coming down plenty up on the hills over Halifax.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I couldn't agree more, mate. Every time we get a little bit of snow the country goes into panic mode.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

You could say that again. In December we've had more than 1m of snow in some places. And cold, like -25C cold.

Right now we're waiting for another hit from lady winter, "consistent" snow forecasted for the weekend.

Jrmcleod, any chance you can confirm that forecast, are things looking so snowy for Romania? Thank you!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PheonixReborn

Well lets hope the predictions for the weekend come to fruition then so that we can all be justified in our "moaning" and "ranting" at the weather...

The term Snowmaggeddon would definately apply if this weekends models verify!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
We had about an inch this morning, which looked really pretty at 8 am now just a slippery slush, that will freeze tonight. So this weekend is meant to b the big one?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join