It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Just been watching the met sat images for the last 24 hrs and it looks like the warm front coming in from the west is getting pushed north and south of the uk which is weird to watch. What does confuse me is that there is a strong weather front pushing northwards from the eastern Mediterranean , surely this would warm the weather that is then coming in from the east or is my grasp of the weather just been seriously flawed

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I've been checking my met office app pretty much every hour. It's telling me my area (south Essex) we are forcasted snow from middy Friday to Saturday evening
edit on 16-1-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling .. Cold fat fingers + iPhone = poor spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by da pickles
Just been watching the met sat images for the last 24 hrs and it looks like the warm front coming in from the west is getting pushed north and south of the uk which is weird to watch. What does confuse me is that there is a strong weather front pushing northwards from the eastern Mediterranean , surely this would warm the weather that is then coming in from the east or is my grasp of the weather just been seriously flawed

Not 100% sure what you mean by this but let me try to explain the synoptics.

Currently we have a low pressure system off of the south west of Ireland, this is going to track NE and meet the cold air over the UK. This front which will be rain behind it and for areas in the S and W will readily turn to snow. Accumulations locally of 25cm's is realistc, but widely 10cm's. Add the wind into this and you get drifting. 25cm's of snow that drifts can give impressive falls.

As it hits the cold air, it doenst have enough energy to displace the cold air so there is a possibility of it stalling, giving even more accumulations, or even back tracking as the cold air pushes it back, maybe again giving even more than 25cm's.

There looks like we will have more fronts try to push in on sunday through monday, again the areas affected tomorrow and this weekend are in the firing line.

The N and NE could be faced with a different type of event where we get convective showers from the north sea. Places right on the coast me have sleet but 10 mile sin land it will be snow but this type of precipitation is almost impossible to forecast and you need to do "now-casting".

Models are still predicting this cold snap to last til the end of January, the trends are pointing that way and thats what you need to watch.

Don't be surprised if your local weather forecasts and the Met O change their minds AGAIN on the trajectory of the snow and the areas impacted, snow is very difficult to forecast...very difficult.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I need it to hit West Cumbria really bad before Friday afternoon.....bad enough to close the railway line, desperately trying to get out of going to a wedding.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I need it to hit West Cumbria really bad before Friday afternoon.....bad enough to close the railway line, desperately trying to get out of going to a wedding.

I feel for you.
Unfortunately though the Daily Fail reckons tomorrow we will be hit by snowmageddon. With that in mind it'll probably be warm and sunny.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
4 degrees here and raining!
I want the Snow Drift Apocalypse NOW!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Slightly more helpful if you say where you are

Cold and grey here in Preston, Lancs (but TBH that's pretty typical at any time of the year)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Plumbduff

oh, funny you should say that, I've literally just got off the phone to my Auntie Chris in Preston, she said it was raining ten minutes ago on Oakfield (just off Garstang Rd).

reply to post by Suspiria

Shush, it's going to snow, for once the fail is accurate!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Wow, I've just looked at the Met office website....Wales has a red alert!

I don't think I have ever seen one of those, anybody else?

Oh please, please can we have a nice amount of snow here in the South East.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

A red alert...that's impressive!
I've never seen one of those either, not even in the worst snow Scotland has had over the years, and some of that has been pretty bad. I want one!

The forecast is changing practically by the hour, and is nothing like the one I saw this morning, so we all need to be on our toes here. Stay safe please. Just don't go out if it's bad, basically.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Seen loads of red back in 2009 during the flooding up here, that was it though......how will the Welsh find their sheep in all that snow? Poor buggers

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Ah of course...I was thinking about the snow and nothing else...I'm so desperate for big snow!
Yup...the floods were very bad, and I feel very fortunate that I live somewhere that rarely floods. Must be a terrible experience.

My 15 year old cousin is on an outdoors skills thingy somewhere in Wales just now, but I expect they will all have the sense to head for home today. They're in the Beacons too, which looks like it's going to get the worst of it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Oh no, I'm not in Wales.

I meant the South East of England.

After Mondays poor offering, we will be lucky if we get a snowfall of any significance!

But thank you for the concern, needless to say hope everyone in Wales keeps safe and well.

edit on 17-1-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Started snowing here in Nottingham within the last hour or so and is gradually increasing. According to the current forecast, it's going to get heavy in the next couple of hours and it's not going to stop now until at least Sunday! And we are only on a Yellow Warning. I think we can safely say that the country is going to come to a standstill over the weekend. Hopefully my Sainsburys home delivery will make it tomorrow morning or we're screwed. No wine on a Friday night!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Nooo, not the wine, noooo!

I'm planning on having a night out tomorrow, nothing special, just a few drinks, as I haven't been out for a while and I have to work on saturday, snow or not.

I hope you get your wine, pretty essential in these circumstances.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
MAN THE SLEDGES!!!!

Going to snow tomorrow according to the Met. Hope its just a couple inches this year. A couple of years ago we almost had a foot of snow and it was fun at first but then pure torture.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have been following this thread from the start and my wife thought I was a little crazy when I suggested going out and buying in the products that fly off the shelf when snow hits. Thankfully we did. So thanks for the heads up OP

Over the last few days the milk and bread has been being bought up and products on shelves slowly thinning.
Today was hectic in my local supermarket. It was like the build up to christmas all over again. It was so busy.
I live in Gloucestershire, England and it started trying to snow a couple of hours ago.
I was quite shocked this afternoon as schools were putting out on the radio that they were closing tomorrow even before the snow has hit the ground. Sounds like it will be an interesting day.

Keep warm and if you can, have fun.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
North Wales(amber zone) here,890ft ASL and it started with -5 last night,then powdery fine snow most of the afternoon today with a cold wind building.
We get the serious stuff from midnight they say,through to Sunday.

Been out today to stock up on food,coal,wood,rocksalt.
Laptops fully charged in case of power out.

Probably won't come to much,and if it does we can handle it up here in the mountains.
Of course,if London gets 1cm,everything will descend into chaos in short order as per usual.

Keep safe and warm one and all.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Snowing lightly in the midlands, just on the cusp of the amber warning for the coming storm too so hopefully that will reach as far as it is forecast.

Fingers crossed for a snow day off work.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hi all.

Thought this artcle by a bbc weatherman was interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Some quotes from within it:

"I suspect that some places will not see their lawn again until February."
"The Sudden Stratospheric Warming which has contributed to this onslaught of winter weather..."
"The computers are almost unanimous - we're in for the long haul."

The stratospheric one amused me. Does HAARP warm the stratosphere?

PS I'm another one with a Preston connection. Moved there, studied there, wish I'd never left. 'appiest dayz of me life '93-'98.
edit on 17-1-2013 by merkins because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join