Advanced Warning Of Snow and Deep Cold Arriving in the UK.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Ok...just a wee quick update here. The Met Office site is now showing a predicted temperature of -11 for 6pm on Thursday, for where I live, which is much lower than the figure this morning, and snow almost consistently for the two days after that. I will be watching this very closely...I live in the coldest house in the universe...
edit on 15-1-2013 by caitlinfae because: I added stuff

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
UPDATE

All,

As i read through some of the replies, i am grateful to see people appreciate the potential cold weather. I also see posters pointing out have the Americans and Canadians are laughing at us.

What i will say in response to this is this:

1. Canadians and Americans have the infrastructure, culture and ability to deal with far harsher weather than us
2. The Americans living on the East Coast of the US, anywhere from North Carolina North can expect to have very cold temperatures with lots of snow.

Maybe a US member can provide a better synopsis as i dont study US weather patterns.

Back to the UK...

Take This As You See Fit...

The latest model outputs have again upgraded snow potential. The main areas that will be affected initially are:

Wales
SW England
Midlands
Central England

Imagine a line between say Bristol and Newcastle, teh area in between could see a very disruptive spell of snow. This could last anywhere from 6-24 hours with severe drifting and very low windchill.

As you may or may not know, the Met O have a level 3 weather warning in place to be alert, which is 1 step below an Emergency. I am not definately sure yet, but based on potential snow depths and forecasted wind, we could see some areas upgraded to Emergency status level 4.

Some snow totals could exceed 2 feet, which in blizzards can cause very deep drifts.

This is not an over reaction, this is quite a confident forecast. The difficulty lies in predicting marginality and zones affected.

This is forecast for Friday through Saturday.

All areas of the UK can expect snow over the weekend, how much you get is difficult to say but the areas above look to be in the firing line first and fore most.

ETA: Dont be surprised if we get very close to the England and Wales all time cold record during the next week.
edit on 15/1/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Thanks again for the update. It may pay to prepare rather than ignore this prediction. While snow can cause major short term disruption, ice can be a bigger problem long term. How do you see the weather panning out after this event if it occurs? Will the warmer air push in or will the cold continental air push back in?

I mainly hope that this happens but then a part of me worries about older relatives living on their own and the rest of the family having enough food in. I know if I warn them they won't take any notice until we get a proper warning in the MSM. By then it will be too late because a plague of panic buyers will descend on the supermarkets, stripping them of essentials!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I genuinely cant say. The Sudden Stratospheric Warming has plunged us into model carnage, every day its changing. This prediction is only 3 days away and its still changing. The MSM wont do anything yet...

I would be inclined to say we will be staying with the cold right throug til Feb but how much and how bad is really anyones guess.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just to say that having followed today's outputs and seen some comments from professionals, I have nothing much to add - Fri/Sat is currently looking like a serious snow event across a large part of England and Wales.

However..... Models may yet backtrack on this. Remember: the Met Office do not have a time machine. But if planning on travelling later this week I'd strongly advise keeping a very close check on the weather forecasts and being prepared to change your plans. Better stuck at home in a blizzard than 10 miles from the nearest Junction on the M5!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
I mainly hope that this happens but then a part of me worries about older relatives living on their own and the rest of the family having enough food in. I know if I warn them they won't take any notice until we get a proper warning in the MSM. By then it will be too late because a plague of panic buyers will descend on the supermarkets, stripping them of essentials!

After 2010, my experience (living on the edge of a small market town, 5 minutes walk from a large Tesco), is that after heavy snowfall, the supermarket is virtually empty. These days, most people are incapable of shopping other than by car, and when there's lots of snow on the roads, they don't drive - leaving the supermarkets virtually empty and selling off fresh produce at discounted prices

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Sorry to be a pain I haven't had the oppotunity to view much weather but what would you reckon the forecast for Essex will be in the next week or so

Edit: JRMCLEOD I asked for snow last time you made a thread like this and you delivered hah I want at least a foot of the stuff ok? Lol just kidding I appreciate your threads they always deliver
edit on 15-1-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
I also see posters pointing out have the Americans and Canadians are laughing at us.

Well this American isn't laughing at you! Trust me, a few flurries in my area sends everybody into a tissy.

As for the current weather where I'm at? Nothing but rain, cold and grey skies, I hate it!!! So, see? You all can laugh at me for complaining about my weather.

In all seriousness, hope everyone stays safe and warm!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
A very comfortable 8C under gorgeous winter sun and blue skies today on the south coast of Devon.
Was block-laying outside in a tee shirt thinking how lovely and warm it was for January. Still no frost yet, just hope it ends up the same as last year, two weeks of frost and that was it

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well I have finally talked myself round that were going to get nothing down here apart from may be a slush puppies worth on Friday then were into double figures by the weekend. What I have seen though on loads of long range forecasts and wind patterns is an improvement after the weekend for the uk then a continual blast from the e ne with no let up in sight. Jr has never been wrong and I don't think this event is any exception. Stay safe out there, stock up, keep warm and dont forget to check on the old folks around you.

Just a quick tip , I know the purse strings are tight for many at the moment but please don't scrimp on the heating. You'll feel miserable, you'll risk your health and in the long run you may not save any money. It is better to keep your whole house warmed than just a couple of key rooms. Remember that the energy providers would sooner have a customer than a corpse and will help out if you let them know of any hard ships

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by da pickles
dont forget to check on the old folks around you.

Totally agree there.

Just a quick tip , I know the purse strings are tight for many at the moment but please don't scrimp on the heating. You'll feel miserable, you'll risk your health and in the long run you may not save any money. It is better to keep your whole house warmed than just a couple of key rooms. Remember that the energy providers would sooner have a customer than a corpse and will help out if you let them know of any hard ships

That is no comfort to the hundreds of thousands relying on pre-paid key/card meters for the purchase of their energy.
I use one because it is convenient and I only buy what I use with no direct debit issues to be concerned with.
I'm ok because I'm not particularly struggling financially, but for the many families on minimum wage who are at their local shop making a decision on food for the table or an extra fiver on the gas card it is a genuine worry and I feel for all of them making such choices.
edit on 15-1-2013 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Please don't get me started on pre- pay meters they are designed to stop debt ? But actually charge more per unit of energy. Tptb way of keeping people down!
I design high efficiency heating systems and when you see a 5 bed house being heated for the same amount as a 1 bed council flat you'll realise what a screwed up place we live in

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by da pickles

Please don't get me started on pre- pay meters they are designed to stop debt ? But actually charge more per unit of energy. Tptb way of keeping people down!
I design high efficiency heating systems and when you see a 5 bed house being heated for the same amount as a 1 bed council flat you'll realise what a screwed up place we live in

I realised it long ago myself, I personally detest the real reasons behind the pre-pay meters as well, but as I said, it suits me for example if I'm working away I use no energy and don't then effectively lend money to the energy provider by letting my cash sit in their account after x many overpriced direct debits.
I've got 50mm insulation behind my plasterboard walls and have the same thermal boards cut to size for my individual windows, plus it's rarely below zero here on my bit of the south Devon coast, so when I warm the place up it stays warm.

I absolutely feel for the people further north from me making very real choices about food for the kids or topping up the gas card. I have been in situations similar in the past and washed with a bowl of water in the bath after work because I knew I only had enough gas to provide a shower for my son the next morning before school.
For many thousands of people right now in the UK their situation is miserable and in some cases dangerous to health. It is a disgrace to our supposedly advanced nation.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Renewables are the way forward but they have an initial cost implication, fortunately there is a range of grants in the uk to try and help. Not sure if it does though. We have no grants plus we have to pay £150 per pallet to ship equipment in to the island, we have one power supplier. Our gas is 3 x times the cost of the uk and oil is spiralling. But we are supposed to be an affluent island so ? What makes my blood boil is when the uk gives a pittance fuel allowance to the elderly and less well off but insists on giving India millions of pounds they don't want.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The local gritters have definitely been on the ball with this latest snowfall... no problems on my local main roads. Although we've missed the main bulk of it, just a few centimetres is enough to send my car skidding about my road. I remember the November 2010 snowfall... my road literally resembled a frozen river... was quite beautiful though.

Thanks for the updates on the UK snowfall for the weekend. Will make sure my family is prepared... even if the snow doesn't turn out to be too bad, the extreme temperatures will be a shock. It's been so mild recently I still haven't started wearing a coat yet!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I appreciate all the comments, and i apologise for not being able to answer may posters questions. I will make time tomorrow to go through some of the more recent questions and try to narrow down on details but precipitation of any kind is hard to prdict, let alone snow.

It looks like a frontal event with counties closest to central/western England bearing the brunt. At the moment Scotland looks like missing out, but next week may be the place to be.

Depending on the model used, there is a different outcome but all are certain on hazardous frontal snow, Friday through Saturday.

Will update tomorrow!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunaStarr
The local gritters have definitely been on the ball with this latest snowfall... no problems on my local main roads. Although we've missed the main bulk of it, just a few centimetres is enough to send my car skidding about my road. I remember the November 2010 snowfall... my road literally resembled a frozen river... was quite beautiful though.

Thanks for the updates on the UK snowfall for the weekend. Will make sure my family is prepared... even if the snow doesn't turn out to be too bad, the extreme temperatures will be a shock. It's been so mild recently I still haven't started wearing a coat yet!!

Same here for many of your points! This time last week I felt like I didn't need a coat - that was a wierd feeling. And yes the gritters have been out and aboiut early here too, which is excellent news. My wife and I live on a hill and I remember looking out one night about three years ago and wondering if the snow had compacted down to ice on the road yet. A moment later I got my answer when a moron came down the road at 30mph and tried to turn the corner down the hill. He 360'd about three times before he got control back.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Freezing fog last night down to -6 has made things look pretty spectacular this morning still laying snow and a mega frost

Its still -4 at 12:41 am i can't remember the last time we had day temps this low

Roll on Friday/Sat

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It was -10 here on Deeside last night and -12.9 up the road in Braemar, but weirdly there was almost no ice on the car windscreen to scrape off this morning, so I can only assume there was very little moisture in the atmosphere. We're looking at the same again tonight I think, and I'm really quite excited about this weekend!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I genuinely cant say. The Sudden Stratospheric Warming has plunged us into model carnage, every day its changing. This prediction is only 3 days away and its still changing. The MSM wont do anything yet...

I would be inclined to say we will be staying with the cold right throug til Feb but how much and how bad is really anyones guess.

being out in california in the US, i feel for you mate, may you stay warm and healthy. i hope others that are poorer, or elderly are being helped out by the locals

new topics
top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join