It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Library

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
something like that...tombs, underground tunnel type things, nuclear bunkers(librarys)

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I found this quote on the internet:

"The Vatican has a 5,000 square foot library that was sealed in 1215, with specific instructions that it was not to be opened until February 19, 2010."

Does anyone have a backstory on this issue or anything? How come I never heard of this?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This is amazing. Do you have the link?

1215? I wonder what it could be.

I'd be interested to read about this.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
the only thing google knows of that means anything is this:

directorblue.blogspot.com...

which doesn't really give a link elsewhere...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I have heard/read this before........I wonder IF it is true?

Maybe they have The Arc of the Covenent..........
Maybe it is the ~REAL~ books of the bible? and not just the edited versions we have available.....

Maybe its a UFO.......or a time machine?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I don't know anything about this, but I am going to the Vatican at the end of April and I can definitely ask the tourguide about it? If anybody was actually interested? I have also written an e-mail to the Vatican Library asking them for information on this. I will definitely post their response if any.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Mynaeris]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I have heard/read this before........I wonder IF it is true?

I saw it in the movie Hudson Hawk. It must be.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
only thing i know of is the fourth lateran council, in 1215...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is almost certainly bunk.

The vatican librarie aren't all open to the general public anyway, and I doubt that since 1215 no pope nor collection of cardinals has been interested in whats in ther.

If there was some other 'bible' there, which doesn't make sense in the first place, then why woudl they keep it? Why wouldn't the Greek Orthodox church have it? OR the coptic church? Or the assyrian church? Or the multiple other eastern churches that weren't alligned with Rome have it?

Why would they have secret books anyway? The foundation of the church is that peter is the rock of it. No other book is going to change that, and if there was one that specifcally forbade a church or had a radically different message, I'd think that people would've known about it back then. BY the time the RCC comes into existence, there has been a long history of gospels and whats supposed to be in them.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
nygdan the catholic church attacked all of those churches and stole many things from them n the crusades so who knows what they have.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Fourth Lateran Council, 1215

"This Council was held under Pope Innocent III in 1215 and issued a profession of faith directly intended to combat the errors of the Albigensians and Cathars, errors reminiscent of those of the Manichees. It thus vigorously reaffirms Catholic doctrine as regards the resurrection of the body, the judgment of all men according to their deeds, and their eternal reward or punishment. "

I think if we were to do some research on the Fourth Lateran Council, we may find some clues. Perhaps it has to do with the second coming of Christ and judgment day for men/women?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
www.fordham.edu... the whole text...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The mindset of people in the 1200s was not to store away gospels or other documents for future generations that ran contrary to current catholic teachings. Rather, it was to simply destroy them. Not maliciously, mind you, but to weed out anything contrary to their current teachings which was automatically deemed heritical and bad.

I've been allowed into two of the Vatican's librarys on different ocassions but have never heard of a "sealed off" library. IF there is one, it most certainly will not contain any new gospels or anything contrary to the teachings of the church circa. 1215. IF there is something significant there, it is definately... something else. Probably something specifically phrophetic.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Wonder if the pope will put it on ebay for me? I'll donate it to my local museum, that way I can have the basement...

Anyways, if true hopefully rescued books from the library of Alexandria are hidden there. If the church ever wanted money all they would have to do is open the doors to select readers. If they havn't already that is, always seems like some thing is hidden in the Vatican, bet it's Satan, chained up underneath. I can see it now, some one sneaks in to find treasure or holy relics, only to get deep inside to be caught by priests. Who were waiting in ambush, to push the person back down the door covered stairs... underneath.

The Vatican, hideing something, nah, libraries are gigantic creatures, have you ever tried hideing one? But David coppefield can make the world disappear, give him enough mirrors, LoL.

This should prove a good thread, so long as everyone keep getting along.
Lateran IV, I just love Jungian synchronicity...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
By the Vatican's own admission their library traces back to the 4th century. (Constantine's era) of course there have been claims that with the sacking and double burnings of Rome all of their treaure and real gospels were lost. Since the catacombs managed to survive those onslaughts, likely the king's and power brokers of the church had even deeper libraries.

A few artifacts held at the Vatican museum:

Goddess Sekhmet Thoth Anubis Osiris.

I know it is a museum and all, but isn't the place supposed to be Holy and the God of their dreams against idolatry?

[edit on 3/11/05 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
They are not idols until a person "worships" them. Makes them more than what they simply are.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
There have been stories (and books) about The Secret archives of the Vatican going back probably to the year 1 about what is really inside. One of the most amusing books was "Another Roadside Attraction" Where one of the charicters finds a body in the vatican... (I won't ruin it on you if you havn't read it).

The Vatican is also a "Country" al be it a small one.
So I figure it's entitled to have a Museum..

I must admit, what ever they have in their librarys I would love to read... (Could probably spend a few lifetimes reading it) So I do wish that they would start publishing some of it.

As well as seeing some of the works Cellini made for them.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That's where the Holy Grail is hidden!!! Think about it: is'nt there a more secure place in the world to hide such an important relic? What if the Templars really found that thing in Jerusalem... 1215 was during the Crusades after all. What if the Pope has decided to take the Sangreal in his possession and hid it so it could forever remain a legend, but would be found if the Catholic Church would fall one day so that would left a crazed humanity with at least a few answers to their questions... something that would make them understand... about themselves. At least the popes show some respect for history. Instead of burning everything that annoys them, they keep it safely concealed.

I just hope that whatever there is inside that secret library, if the Vatican ever gets raided, that no stupid people destory it just as they did with the library of Alexandria. Just imagine the treasures of knowledge there must be within these walls... waaa!

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The Council of 1215 included the following decrees:

There is indeed one universal church of the faithful, outside of which nobody at all is saved, (for anyone who is of the mistaken impression Catholicism thinks others will get to knock on the pearly gates.)

The trinity issue is still a thorn in the church's side.

We excommunicate and anathematize every heresy raising itself up against this holy, orthodox and catholic faith which we have expounded above. We condemn all heretics, whatever names they may go under. They have different faces indeed but their tails are tied together inasmuch as they are alike in their pride. Let those condemned be handed over to the secular authorities present, or to their bailiffs, for due punishment.

There are some who holding to the form of religion but denying its power (as the Apostle says) , claim for themselves the authority to preach, whereas the same Apostle says, How shall they preach unless they are sent? Let therefore all those who have been forbidden or not sent to preach, and yet dare publicly or privately to usurp the office of preaching without having received the authority of the apostolic see or the catholic bishop of the place", be bound with the bond of excommunication and, unless they repent very quickly, be punished by another suitable penalty.

By this inviolable constitution we decree that prelates of churches should prudently and diligently attend to the correction of their subjects' offences especially of clerics, and to the reform of morals. Otherwise the blood of such persons will be required at their hands.

How and in what way a prelate ought to proceed to inquire into and punish the offences of his subjects may be clearly ascertained from the authorities of the new and old Testament, from which subsequent sanctions in canon law derive"...

Lest too great a variety of religious orders leads to grave confusion in God's church, we strictly forbid anyone henceforth to found a new religious order. Whoever wants to become a religious should enter one of the already approved orders. Likewise, whoever wishes to found a new religious house should take the rule and institutes from already approved religious orders.

...nor may a subdeacon, deacon or priest practise the art of surgery, which involves cauterizing and making incisions;

My favourite:

We regretfully relate that not only certain lesser clerics but also some prelates of churches pass almost half the night in unnecessary feasting and forbidden conversation, not to mention other things, and leaving what is left of the night for sleep, they are barely roused at the dawn chorus of the birds and pass away the entire morning in a continuous state of stupor. There are others who celebrate mass barely four times a year and, what is worse, do not bother to attend; if they happen to be present when it is being celebrated, they flee the silence of the choir and pay attention to conversations of the laity outside and so while they attend to talk that is unnecessary for them, they do not give an attentive ear to the things of God. We altogether forbid these and similar things on pain of suspension. We strictly command such persons, in virtue of obedience, to celebrate the divine office, day and night alike, as far as God allows them, with both zeal and devotion.

All the faithful of either sex, after they have reached the age of discernment, should individually confess all their sins in a faithful manner to their own priest at least once a year, and let them take care to do what they can to perform the penance imposed on them. Let them reverently receive the sacrament of the eucharist at least at Easter unless they think, for a good reason and on the advice of their own priest, that they should abstain from receiving it for a time. Otherwise they shall be barred from entering a church during their lifetime and they shall be denied a christian burial at death.

As sickness of the body may sometimes be the result of sin -- as the Lord said to the sick man whom he had cured, Go and sin no more, lest something worse befall you -- so we by this present decree order and strictly command physicians of the body, when they are called to the sick, to warn and persuade them first of all to call in physicians of the soul so that after their spiritual health has been seen to they may respond better to medicine for their bodies, for when the cause ceases so does the effect.

The more the christian religion is restrained from usurious practices, so much the more does the perfidy of the Jews grow in these matters, so that within a short time they are exhausting the resources of Christians. Wishing therefore to see that Christians are not savagely oppressed by Jews in this matter, we ordain by this synodal decree that if Jews in future, on any pretext, extort oppressive and excessive interest from Christians, then they are to be removed from contact with Christians until they have made adequate satisfaction for the immoderate burden. Christians too, if need be, shall be compelled by ecclesiastical censure, without the possibility of an appeal, to abstain from commerce with them.

A difference of dress distinguishes Jews or Saracens from Christians in some provinces, but in others a certain confusion has developed so that they are indistinguishable. Whence it sometimes happens that by mistake Christians join with Jewish or Saracen women, and Jews or Saracens with christian women. In order that the offence of such a damnable mixing may not spread further, under the excuse of a mistake of this kind, we decree that such persons of either sex, in every christian province and at all times, are to be distinguished in public from other people by the character of their dress -- seeing moreover that this was enjoined upon them by Moses himself, as we read. They shall not appear in public at all on the days of lamentation and on passion Sunday;

It would be too absurd for a blasphemer of Christ to exercise power over Christians. We therefore renew in this canon, on account of the boldness of the offenders, what the council of Toledo providently decreed in this matter : we forbid Jews to be appointed to public offices, since under cover of them they are very hostile to Christians.

Born again? They hate you too Certain people who have come voluntarily to the waters of sacred baptism, as we learnt, do not wholly cast off the old person in order to put on the new more perfectly. For, in keeping remnants of their former rite, they upset the decorum of the christian religion by such a mixing.

Liberate the Holy land It is our ardent desire to liberate the holy Land from infidel hands. We therefore declare, with the approval of this sacred council and on the advice of prudent men who are fully aware of the circumstances of time and place, that crusaders are to make themselves ready so that all who have arranged to go by sea shall assemble in the kingdom of Sicily on 1 June after next : some as necessary and fitting at Brindisi and others at Messina and places neighbouring it on either side, where we too have arranged to be in person at that time, God willing, so that with our advice and help the christian army may be in good order to set out with divine and apostolic blessing...

To those who refuse, if there happen to be any who are so ungrateful to our lord God, we firmly declare in the name of the apostle that they should know that they will have to answer to us for this on the last day of final judgment before the fearful judge.

There is more of this sick diatribe, but how much can one stomach?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
They are not idols until a person "worships" them. Makes them more than what they simply are.
Right! I suppose since they are no longer worshipped, they are no longer idols.

Makes sense to me.

I swear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join