It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican Library

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Do you think they are guarded. Perhaps we can organize an Indiana Jones excavation. You don't think they have giant boulders in there do you?

Don't worry, I can use a whip.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Why care about the contents of the "Archivio Secreto Vatcano" except for
the orginal editions of non-religious manuscripts.
All the rest is about fiction related to the Bible and the Thora as well.
You don't have to spend a lifetime in there just to know that they have
been lying for centuries and that their story about JC is nothing but fiction.
All that is known since a very long time:
"It has come,I know and as granted for by many,that christianity is not so
much a subject of inquiry but at length discovered to be fictious"
Ref "The Analogy of Relgion" by Bishop J.Butler (18th cent.)
Flanders

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
im curious to see what they got on essenes

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Maybe its the Sangreal Documents and on Febuary 19th 2010 They will be revealed to the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Somewhereinbetween,
Just so that you know... that council has been, in part, superceded by a variety of other councils and decrees that have since taken place. It is not accurate to claim that the modern church is run according to the rules laid out in the 13th century. It is dishonest, therefore, for you to claim that the Church 'hates' anyone because of rules, since superceded, that were written 800 years ago. The Roman Ctaholic Church is not a religion that is based on a one-time revelation: The Church believes that the Holy Spirit is continously guiding the members of the Church and revealing more of God's message to them.

To be frank, some of your posts just sound like old fashioned catholic-bashing. I mean... you're demonizing the catholic church by portraying it according to what it was (and using straw man arguments in the meantime). I mean, there's a lack of fluidity to your thinking.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ASAManifesto
I found this quote on the internet:

"The Vatican has a 5,000 square foot library that was sealed in 1215, with specific instructions that it was not to be opened until February 19, 2010."

Does anyone have a backstory on this issue or anything? How come I never heard of this?

Really and who sealed it and for what reason, could it possible hold the keys to the truth end time events, or does it hold something more sinister like the end cause for mans demise. It would be interesting to know why If a Pope has so much power over the vatican why one of the hasnt flexed some muscle in order to get a look see, even if they never allowed anyone else in , they could atleast have gave some insight into the purpose of the room and the things there in.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0951
It contains the fifth seal referred to in Revelations 6:9, and that once opened, it begins the final stage, of The End of Days.

Revelations says:

"6:9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been killed for the Word of God, and for the testimony of the Lamb which they had.

If you read before this points those souls under the alter where in the presence of God the alter lay before his thrown in heaven , the visions are those things that happened in heaven , not in the earth let as lone a church of rome.

6:10 They cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, Master, the holy and true, until you judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?"

This verse here confirms in part what I was saying the speak from under the alter speaking about the earth in the context of not being there on earth.

6:11 A long white robe was given to each of them. They were told that they should rest yet for a while, until their fellow servants and their brothers, who would also be killed even as they were, should complete their course."

Again another detatchment reference where in the souls have already been thru their time and trials on earth and await those still going thru the journey.

(Assumption two).
If we accept the interpretation that the first four seals are describing a time when man is in a state before the rapture, where we have already been too long beset by tyranny, war, famine and death (as signified by the 'four horsemen'), and that time is 'now', then the fifth seal is the one where we ask for intercession and judgement, in effect we commission the rapture at this point, and so doing bring about the apocalypse.

Good thought the only prolem I have is that the seals are differnt than laid out here the references you should be equating tyranny and war etc. should be the seven bowls of wrath , the 4 horsemen are beseige of the earth after the rapture as well, here is where most get confused the pre rapture stuff shall call up the beast from the sea and the angels shall catch up the winds and be stopped to allow the faithful to be removed before loosing the winds causing destruction etc and so on , the judgements contain the parts where actual events take place as for our wars that shall be an instrument of the antichrist for he shall descend apon us from of of the land of asyria and he will bring peace for 7 years and be harolded and all will be good for 3 1/2 years till the third temple is built and he stands in it and claims himself God then come the 7 bowls and so on.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I wonder if this alledgedly sealed off library might contain documents looted when Byzantium was raped and pillaged? If so, some of them might be contrary to the accepted history that the RCC supports. The crusaders who betrayed their Byzantine hosts and destroyed what at the time was the most civilized and advanced city in Europe carted off all kinds of religious icons, texts, etc. If some of those texts undermined the RCC's authority, that would be a good reason to seal them away.
Of course, this whole sealed off library subject is all just hearsay to me so far.
In reply to the previous posts re: how we trigger the apocalypse, I read that the first horseman has already started his ride.
Is there any mention in the scriptures of what we can do to hurry this whole apocalypse thing up?
I wouldn't mind just getting it over with myself. If anyone knows of any ways to hurry it along, please, let me know.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The info given by the BBC on the destruction of that library is not complete;
here some more info:
The first person blamed for the destruction of the Library is none other than Julius Caesar himself. In 48 BC, Caesar was pursuing Pompey into Egypt when he was suddenly cut off by an Egyptian fleet at Alexandria. Greatly outnumbered and in enemy territory, Caesar ordered the ships in the harbor to be set on fire. The fire spread and destroyed the Egyptian fleet. Unfortunately, it also burned down part of the city - the area where the great Library stood. Caesar wrote of starting the fire in the harbor but neglected to mention the burning of the Library. Such an omission proves little since he was not in the habit of including unflattering facts while writing his own history. But Caesar was not without public detractors. If he was solely to blame for the disappearance of the Library it is very likely significant documentation on the affair would exist today.

The second story of the Library's destruction is more popular, thanks primarily to Edward Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". But the story is also a tad more complex. Theophilus was Patriarch of Alexandria from 385 to 412 AD. During his reign the Temple of Serapis was converted into a Christian Church (probably around 391 AD) and it is likely that many documents were destroyed then. The Temple of Serapis was estimated to hold about ten percent of the overall Library of Alexandria's holdings. After his death, his nephew Cyril became Patriarch. Shortly after that, riots broke out when Hierax, a Christian monk, was publicly killed by order of Orestes the city Prefect. Orestes was said to be under the influence of Hypatia, a female philosopher and daughter of the "last member of the Library of Alexandria". Although it should be noted that some count Hypatia herself as the last Head Librarian.

Alexandria had long been known for it's violent and volatile politics. Christians, Jews and Pagans all lived together in the city. One ancient writer claimed that there was no people who loved a fight more than those of Alexandria. Immediately after the death of Hierax a group of Jews who had helped instigate his killing lured more Christians into the street at night by proclaiming that the Church was on fire. When the Christians rushed out the largely Jewish mob slew many of them. After this there was mass havoc as Christians retaliated against both the Jews and the Pagans - one of which was Hypatia. The story varies slightly depending upon who tells it but she was taken by the Christians, dragged through the streets and murdered.

Some regard the death of Hypatia as the final destruction of the Library. Others blame Theophilus for destroying the last of the scrolls when he razed the Temple of Serapis prior to making it a Christian church. Still others have confused both incidents and blamed Theophilus for simultaneously murdering Hypatia and destroying the Library though it is obvious Theophilus died sometime prior to Hypatia.

The final individual to get blamed for the destruction is the Moslem Caliph Omar. In 640 AD the Moslems took the city of Alexandria. Upon learning of "a great library containing all the knowledge of the world" the conquering general supposedly asked Caliph Omar for instructions. The Caliph has been quoted as saying of the Library's holdings, "they will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous." So, allegedly, all the texts were destroyed by using them as tinder for the bathhouses of the city. Even then it was said to have taken six months to burn all the documents. But these details, from the Caliph's quote to the incredulous six months it supposedly took to burn all the books, weren't written down until 300 years after the fact. These facts condemning Omar were written by Bishop Gregory Bar Hebræus, a Christian who spent a great deal of time writing about Moslem atrocities without much historical documentation.
It's almost certain to say that the RCC and Islam destroyed it:too much
info was there on their faked monotheistics religions.
A very interesting book to read about the RCC and all his fiction:
"The Christ Conspiracy"
Baloria

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.polyamory.org...

According to this link Hypatia was a leading philosopher, charismatic, and beautiful. She is described as the most popular person in Alexandria.
If the Library was badly damaged at the time, I can't imagine that 5000 sq. feet would hold much of its collection of texts. And this is 800 years before said sealing of library in 1215.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If this hidden library really exists its full of stolen artifacts. Possibly the Grail...I dont know about all this 2010 stuff though. Next hing ya know itll be 2015 then 2020 etc...

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I came across an article in an academic collection some time ago which explains all the conspiracy theories about the Vatican library. Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy.

In the 19th century it was very hard for scholars to work there, and even if they could get permission, they weren't allowed to copy down anything whatever. Nor were they allowed to look at the catalogue; they had to ask the staff to do so, who were unhelpful. Finally some items were kept on the 'closed shelves' -- such as the only medieval manuscript of Zosimus 'New History', a vicious attack upon the origins of Constantine's empire by a pagan writing around 500 AD (although a surreptitious copy had been taken and was the basis of all editions of Zosimus until the mid 19th century). Biblical scholars were unable to consult codex Vaticanus Graecus 1209 ('B') of the bible, a 4th century manuscript.

As you may imagine, this all promoted conspiracy theories. The truth, it seems, was rather simpler. It was simply that the Pope employed Italian librarians. (Even today, most manuscript libraries in Italy are absolute pigs to deal with). Lazy, petty-bureaucratic, third-world, prone to refuse any request unless certain that approval would be less risky for themselves, fond of humiliating anyone they thought they could, such people are the bane of researchers.

Around 1900, however, the then pope tired of all the bad publicity and turned the library and archives over to the Swiss guard, who, being Germans, are very efficient. A series of publications followed and the library is today one of the best known. It's the only library in Italy I have been able to communicate with by email (concerning a medieval catalogue of a French abbey now held there). I don't have a readers ticket for it as yet, since I don't go to Rome very often, but I envisage no difficulty in getting one.

Incidentally, the Vatican library is a renaissance collection, mainly founded by Leo X around 1510. It has no deposit of ancient literature. Rome was completely depopulated in the early Dark Ages, and the medieval popes often had a thin time. Its collection is good, but mainly derived from medieval manuscripts from medieval abbeys, together with collections made later.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
My question regarding the supposed sealed section of the library is, Even if the order stands that the library section be unsealed in 2010, who's to say that its contents will be revealed to the public? If the other sections of the archive are limited to viewing by only qualified parties, who's to say the same limitations won't apply to that section? The Papacy has always loved and guarded its secrets pretty well. If something truly was sealed off in this manner, it has to be pretty important.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by enigmaboy
If the other sections of the archive are limited to viewing by only qualified parties,

yeah i hope they'll post those manuscripts here before the great unseal

Uma

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I believe it is normal for libraries with special collections to restrict who is able to view them, this is to protect the books from damage.

It is likely that the items in the secret collection of the vatican are in really fragile condition, so they would be off limits to help preserve them. If a book or document were falling apart, they couldn't very well let someone read it.

What I don't understand is why there does not seem to be an effort to copy these rare items onto microfilm or to scan them. I know in years past there has been little interest in church history or theology.

However, Dan Brown's books have created a large number of people who are interested (especially in questioning) the veracity of church teachings regarding it's history. This should keep the Pope's old office of the Doctrine of the Faith busy for years.

p.s. Don't believe there is a sealed library, I think Dan Brown made it up. Does anyone have any proof?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
apparantly it will open in 2010, at least thats what i have heard

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Jesus performed magic, which is a ritual just like prayer and that is where i think that the bible is misleading us. maybe that the books in the vatican are telling us, it is now just a waiting game.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Isn't there a book called the Catholic Dictionary which is I heard has the history of the Roman Catholic Church History.

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I hate to say this but all this talk of the secret library being opened in 2010 is rubbish. This theory started at the web site www.gullible.info .... look at the url name... I looked around a bit and all facts on the website are made up by the guy who made yjhe site and his brother... sorry guys, you're discussing a false point.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The " special collections" question is not theory. it is practiced today in many public libraries. I kn ow first had. When we first moved to Las Vegas one of the several
Public Libraries had an excelent " Pagan Studies section". It was open and on the shelf.
With in 2 years the entire Library had been moved to the "Restricted section.

Access was by request only, the requestor was accompanied at all times while in the
library, any volume (you could have only one at a time) was removed from the locked
case by the attendant. When you were finished with that one you could get another.
All were "reference only" you could no longer check out any of them.

Why you might ask the change? Because fundies were taking books and then they just disappeared. They were ripping pages out, cutting whole sections out , ETC ETC ETC.

How you ask do I know it was fundies? That is to easy, they ( and it was mostly one
phelps like sect) left their business cards, prayer tracts, and invitations to be saved
where they removed parts of the books.

How it finally played out I dont know. We moved from vegas shortly after. ( after another runin with fundies and the police telling me " we cant put a man on you 24 hours a day to protect you.") Funny they had somebody watching my house and following my Wife and I to and from Work from then until we moved.( maybe it was because I told them I didnt need protection. I just needed them to cart off the bodies
before they started stinking up my driveway.)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join